Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warranty in a post Brexit situation

Options
  • 20-09-2020 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭

Following a thread here I got curious.
    There is a regular suggestion in the bargain alerts section for a UK domiciled business.
    If you buy an item in the UK today and it breaks next year what consumer rights apply and how would you enforced them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭3DataModem

IANAL but my understanding is that *theoretically* the contract is struck at purchase, so a change in the EU status of the country of sale (joining or leaving) does not affect it... i.e. the contract is bound by EU law if the thing is purchased in the EU.

HOWEVER this is one of the things affected by deal/no-deal.... i.e. if a UK vendor sells you a thing, then UK leaves the EU, and you want to enforce your rights, how will you practically be able to do so?

Also remember, the UK is not in the EU today. There is a transition period where they are bound by EU law however.

Good article (albiet a little old) here:

https://www.eccireland.ie/consumer-rights/brexit-eu-consumer-rights/#:~:text=If%20you%20purchase%20an%20item,rights%20are%20exercised%20after%20Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭rock22

I cannot see how EU law would apply after an no deal Brexit.
    I certainly cannot see how you could enforce such consumer rights.

Presumably UK consumer law would apply , which is similar to here in Ireland. But you might have to pursue in UK courts in there is a dispute.

Advertisement