Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fridge is breaking after 2 years - We're told we have to pay to fix it

Options
  • 18-09-2020 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭

Hi

I bought a fridge 2.5 years ago from Harvey Norman costing 2K. It has started to make a weird noise, temperature changes aren't persisting and the freezer is starting to warm up slightly.

I called Harvey Normans CS and we were told to contact Samsung as it's more than 2 years, it's nothing to do with them as we didn't take out extended warranty.

We called Samsung and they said to call a 3rd party repair service to arrange to have it fixed (and we have to pay).

Surely something isn't right here? A fridge costing 2k should last longer than 2 years, and surely this is on the sell - Harvey Norman to repair for us.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Small Claims for the cost of repair is probably your best option. Yes HN should be helping you but they most likely won't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

This is standard reply from all retailers. Ask Samsung and HN to sort it out quoting sale of goods and supply of services act.

If they refuse, small claims court.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Samsung fridges are notoriously poor quality - especially the "American style" units - and it should be quite easy to find lots of references to similar issues as supporting evidence for an argument that its an inherent design flaw. Additionally any local repair place will probably write a letter stating that for a small fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 The11Duff

We bought a fridge of harvey norman 3 years ago and it was replaced under warranty. It was a samsung american style and the compresser gave up. There is a 5 year manufacturers warranty with samsung

• Registered Users Posts: 6,396 ✭✭✭Damien360

L1011 wrote: »
    Samsung fridges are notoriously poor quality - especially the "American style" units - and it should be quite easy to find lots of references to similar issues as supporting evidence for an argument that its an inherent design flaw. Additionally any local repair place will probably write a letter stating that for a small fee.

I’ll echo that for a Samsung wash machine. Broke in warranty once, repaired by local person arranged by Samsung which was a painful process. Despite having registered the product, they still wanted the original receipt. Thankfully I had taken a pic. Next time drum gave up and it is all one piece and was just one month out of warranty for drum (5 years I think). Local guy was honest enough to tell me it would cost more than a new machine to repair. Samsung couldn’t have been more unhelpful with diagnosis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

L1011 wrote: »

Second this. Had one that kept frosting up, meaning the fan got stuck and the fridge heated up. It happened a few times until it packed in completely. Very common issue with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Second this. Had one that kept frosting up, meaning the fan got stuck and the fridge heated up. It happened a few times until it packed in completely. Very common issue with them.

and quite easily fixed too.

Best to google the issue and see what comes up.

For a successful claim, you would need to show that its an inherent fault.

I'd also try giving it a full defrost. Get a couple of bags of ice and put food and ice bags into strong black bag which will keep food safe for a few hours. Turn off unit, open doors and put bowls of hot water in (and switch them every 20 min) to speed up the defrosting. Should be fully defrosted in a couple of hours. Check/feel back of fridge for any ice that may be blocking the fan - this may need to plastic cover to be taken off.

Most of this is on youtube videos.

Advertisement