Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camera on front door

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Yeah, if you've happy to spend that. I don't have one and don't know anything about them but it's a trusted brand, with millions of users worldwide. I'd guess it's pretty bomb proof technology?

Owned by Amazon, so good tech, and well supported.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭niallb

The Blink XT2 you've linked is just an add-on camera.

If you don't already have one, you need to buy the pack with a hub. It's the "1 camera System". It's an extra £8.

I have one. They're grand and have good night vision for a battery operated device.

It'll notify your phone when it sees movement and record a video clip of up to 60 seconds.

You can also talk through it if you need to. I don't pay any monthly subscription.

You won't get 2 years of battery life, but you'll get months and it takes AA batteries. Worth getting Lithium ones like it says as ordinary ones won't last long when it gets cold at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,509 ✭✭✭obi604

niallb wrote: »

If you don't already have one, you need to buy the pack with a hub. It's the "1 camera System". It's an extra £8.

I have one. They're grand and have good night vision for a battery operated device.

It'll notify your phone when it sees movement and record a video clip of up to 60 seconds.

You can also talk through it if you need to. I don't pay any monthly subscription.

You won't get 2 years of battery life, but you'll get months and it takes AA batteries. Worth getting Lithium ones like it says as ordinary ones won't last long when it gets cold at night.

Can you link this? I cannot seem to find it.

obi604 wrote: »
    Can you link this? I cannot seem to find it.

Under the picture, click the button for 1 Camera System.

It's at https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07M98TLCK/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_L2YAFbYEN7ZRZ?th=1

It's at https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07M98TLCK/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_L2YAFbYEN7ZRZ?th=1

Thanks. And I suppose the thing about this and also the ring doorbell is that they can be used outside at a door or just simply inside too if you want.

The ring video doorbell could just be stood up inside and point at a cot or whatever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,839 ✭✭✭daheff

whats the picture quality like?

The Blink XT2 is a 1080p camera with a pretty decent lens and light.

I had the original XT and upgraded because part of the area I needed it to watch was a gate a little further away and more dots meant a better picture!

The picture is excellent by day and pretty clear at night as far as the infrared goes. The sound is awful though - there's a constant chirpy whistle which I can't work out, but you only hear it when it's quiet outside, not when somebody's talking.

They also work with Alexa, so if you've an Echo Show you can just say "Alexa, show me the gate!" for a live feed.

Which is the better bet - the blink xt2 or the ring video doorbell?

Blink is battery operated and doesn't need a monthly subscription to send you alerts.
    It's been really handy to be able to put the old one I have in different places too as it's pretty weatherproof.

I think if the Ring had been the price it is now for a battery operated version (Ring 2) I might have gone for it instead.
    I don't think you'd need the Ring Protect subscription for what you want to do with it.

This is the exact problem I'm having as I'm sure loads of people are. The monthly sub is what I want to avoid.

• Advertisement

FillaName wrote: »
    This is the exact problem I'm having as I'm sure loads of people are. The monthly sub is what I want to avoid.

Hi. How do you avoid these? Can you just choose not have them with blink or ring?

Right, I’ve decided I am going to buy a ring device. As I have an Alexa show in the house.

Between the

1. Ring Video Doorbell (Gen2)
    2. Ring stick up cam battery.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07WMKZZXL/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_9eZAFbPKW8JEF

is 89 British pounds an ok price?
    I presume if I want I can just install it indoors too if needed. e.g to monitor a cat or dog etc

Or would the Ring stick up cam battery be a better bet.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07Q4R7VWN/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fab_91IBFbYZHYGAS

Again 89 pounds.

I suppose the ring video doorbell is the more flexible of the 2. Allows the full doorbell function And can also be used indoors if needed.

Right, I’ve decided I am going to buy a ring device. As I have an Alexa show in the house.

Between the

1. Ring Video Doorbell (Gen2)
    2. Ring stick up cam battery.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07WMKZZXL/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_9eZAFbPKW8JEF

is 89 British pounds an ok price?
    I presume if I want I can just install it indoors too if needed. e.g to monitor a cat or dog etc

Or would the Ring stick up cam battery be a better bet.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07Q4R7VWN/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fab_91IBFbYZHYGAS

Again 89 pounds.

I suppose the ring video doorbell is the more flexible of the 2. Allows the full doorbell function And can also be used indoors if needed.

Bump :)

iin regard to mounting the Ring video doorbell with double sided tape at front door, is this just a waste of time? as in not strong enough or will just be stolen etc

iwill just be stolen etc

at least you'll see the person who stole it:pac::pac:

if you can have it hardwired instead of your existing doorbell then obviously much better idea to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

I have this Neos Smart Cam for a couple of years now. Very happy with it and cheap too. Initially, I just plugged it in inside the window and pointed it at the door Now, we have it plugged in and installed on the porch. I have read that some people use it with a power bank,

At £30, it's a bargain, with only an optional monthly subscription for premium, which I take when we're away on holiday (obviously not recently). It also works with Alexa, so I can see my front door from the Echo Show or my phone, at home or away. The app issues that are mentioned in negative reviews have been addressed and fixed, AFAIK.

RoYoBo wrote: »
    I have this Neos Smart Cam for a couple of years now. Very happy with it and cheap too. Initially, I just plugged it in inside the window and pointed it at the door Now, we have it plugged in and installed on the porch. I have read that some people use it with a power bank,

At £30, it's a bargain, with only an optional monthly subscription for premium, which I take when we're away on holiday (obviously not recently). It also works with Alexa, so I can see my front door from the Echo Show or my phone, at home or away. The app issues that are mentioned in negative reviews have been addressed and fixed, AFAIK.

Looks decent. Just pity it needs power.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

Looks decent. Just pity it needs power.

Can you position it on a windowsill inside near a power point? That's what I did for a few months. It worked ok, but obviously better when wired in.

You can also use a power bank, according to some.

RoYoBo wrote: »
    Can you position it on a windowsill inside near a power point? That's what I did for a few months. It worked ok, but obviously better when wired in.

You can also use a power bank, according to some.

Power point is about 4 metres away from windowsill. So would be unsightly.

Power bank only seems to keep it going for a day or so

Hi. In regard to the ring video doorbell. If the ring app is installed on 2 phones and an Alexa show and all 3 devices answer the ring doorbell at the same time (possible)........What happens?

• Advertisement

In regard to the Ring video doorbell (Gen 2) - Does anyone know if it’s possible to turn off the night vision/infared on the doorbell i.e. the 2 little red lights that come on when dark.

The idea being to stop reflections at night off a window if placed indoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,322 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

doesn't look like it
    https://community.ring.com/t5/Video-Doorbells/Disable-night-vision-on-Ring-Pro-video-doorbell/td-p/3380

if you haven't bought a Ring yet then the Amazon Prime day is happening on the 13th and 14th of this month when all their own brand stuff will be reduced

Skerries wrote: »
    doesn't look like it
    https://community.ring.com/t5/Video-Doorbells/Disable-night-vision-on-Ring-Pro-video-doorbell/td-p/3380

if you haven't bought a Ring yet then the Amazon Prime day is happening on the 13th and 14th of this month when all their own brand stuff will be reduced

ah ok, nice one. thanks

With the blink XT2

Can infrared be turned off?
    Seems there is an extra ‘sync module’ or hub that has to be installed. Where is this placed?

Advertisement