Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camera on front door

Options
  • 21-09-2020 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,525 ✭✭✭

Hi

With working from home etc, I am on calls with work and doorbell rings and have to go out and check etc etc.

Looking for a very simple basic solution. Something like this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07XR2NWZC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_gToAFbT5ZWS50

And I can just leave it on the window sill and the check who is at the door from my phone.

Thing is it needs to be plugged in to a wall socket.

Can anyone recommend one with batteries or a rechargeable one?

I would just use it during the day when at work etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,000 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

• Registered Users Posts: 5,525 ✭✭✭obi604

Kinda yeah. But more so just one I can leave on a window sill and an indoor one, does not need to be outdoor or weatherproof etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

If you have a spare smartphone, you could do an endless skype/viber/other videocall between the two

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    If you have a spare smartphone, you could do an endless skype/viber/other videocall between the two

True. But would these calls drop after an hour or 2. (Idle time etc) And possibly drain both batteries very quickly.

any other thoughts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭JoyPad

I built one from a Raspberry Pi Zero W and the 1080p camera module. This is very frugal, so it runs for days off a 10,000mAh battery.

JoyPad wrote: »
    I built one from a Raspberry Pi Zero W and the 1080p camera module. This is very frugal, so it runs for days off a 10,000mAh battery.

way too advanced for me :)

just ant something plug and play that does not cost too much

• Registered Users Posts: 10,947 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

I have this camera by my front door, I have it outside, and paid under forty euro on AliExpress for it. Does a decent job, and fairly prompt alerts (usually). Battery is lasting very well so far.

Search

MISECU 1080P WiFi Camera Rechargeable Battery Powered Wireless Security IP Camera PIR Motion Detect Waterproof Outdoor App View

But there's a lot of very similar cameras for very similar money there.

(Can't for the life of me see how to share links on the AliExpress app).

The IR will be a problem for any camera by a window though because it'll just reflect straight off the glass.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,912 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

What's wrong with a ring type doorbell. It detects movement on pir, shows who is outside and you can engage in a convo with them if you want or just ignore.

Or you can let someone you recognise in. I have one sorry can't remember the name of it now, not the bells and whistles Ring thing, but does the job perfectly. Rechargeable battery, and if you want no one ringing your doorbell you can take the battery and ring part out.

It's great for deliveries and the like. But I know I am not talking about what you really want either. Sorry. That's beyond me. I have one of those cameras on the back wall though. As you say, needs to be plugged in and it was a pain trying to find an inlet, but I found a vent and ran the wire through there into the kitchen. It is mounted outside though. But I am sure there are others that work from the indoor windowsill. We just don't have them at the back with the way the glass doors work, and put upstairs was capturing all our neighbour's gardens. That's a no no!

What's wrong with a ring type doorbell. It detects movement on pir, shows who is outside and you can engage in a convo with them if you want or just ignore.

Or you can let someone you recognise in. I have one sorry can't remember the name of it now, not the bells and whistles Ring thing, but does the job perfectly. Rechargeable battery, and if you want no one ringing your doorbell you can take the battery and ring part out.

It's great for deliveries and the like. But I know I am not talking about what you really want either. Sorry. That's beyond me. I have one of those cameras on the back wall though. As you say, needs to be plugged in and it was a pain trying to find an inlet, but I found a vent and ran the wire through there into the kitchen. It is mounted outside though. But I am sure there are others that work from the indoor windowsill. We just don't have them at the back with the way the glass doors work, and put upstairs was capturing all our neighbour's gardens. That's a no no!

I just want something cheap and easy to install

Thought these ring things are dear

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Redgirl82

For what you are looking for better off spending a few quid.

Or you can by cheap chinese knock off Ring front door bells

I have this camera by my front door, I have it outside, and paid under forty euro on AliExpress for it. Does a decent job, and fairly prompt alerts (usually). Battery is lasting very well so far.

Search

MISECU 1080P WiFi Camera Rechargeable Battery Powered Wireless Security IP Camera PIR Motion Detect Waterproof Outdoor App View

But there's a lot of very similar cameras for very similar money there.

(Can't for the life of me see how to share links on the AliExpress app).

The IR will be a problem for any camera by a window though because it'll just reflect straight off the glass.

Thanks. I haven’t used Ali express before.
    Does delivery take ages?

Not interested in Cloud storage etc?

Will this allow you to view a real time video via your phone?

obi604 wrote: »
    Thanks. I haven’t used Ali express before.
    Does delivery take ages?

Not interested in Cloud storage etc?

Will this allow you to view a real time video via your phone?

Yep delivery takes ages, (if you get something within 4 weeks you're doing well, when I ordered this in July, it arrived 6 weeks later) though it's improved last few weeks (some sellers will ship from Europe which greatly improves things).

You can watch a live stream, I don't bother with cloud storage just a micro SD card. It only records on movement so card won't fill up for ages. And you can watch back events from the app that are stored on the card.

If you're on same WiFi network (2.4ghz only) notifications are virtually instant, if you're away/on data it can take a few seconds and occasionally I think it misses odd notification.

I get marginally quicker updates from this camera than I do my main CCTV.

bonzodog2 wrote: »

I do actually. Have Skype on both. 2 x iPhones.

Is there any way to make the Skype call automatically on an iPhone? Seems there is a way on windows and mac but have not seen solution for iPhone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭niallb

Take a look at Alfred camera - it's an app you can run on the iphones.
    If you mount one near the door it can notify the other one if there's movement and let you see what's going on.
    I used it a long time back as a child monitor!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

niallb wrote: »
    If you mount one near the door it can notify the other one if there's movement and let you see what's going on.

Was going to suggest the Alfred app myself. Easy to set set up on old Android or iPhone devices

niallb wrote: »

Thanks. It seems free too.

Will running this for a few hours (working hours) drain the battery on both phones very quickly. Having video on one phone non stop etc.

Will running this for a few hours (working hours) drain the battery on both phones very quickly. Having video on one phone non stop etc.

Been playing around with Alfred. Some job. I like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,912 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I just want something cheap and easy to install

Thought these ring things are dear

Mine cost 60 quid off Amazon and works great.

Mine cost 60 quid off Amazon and works great.

Which is your one?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Why not get an Eufy doorbell. I have one which is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

It's a while since I've run it, but it was a very old device with a knackered battery, so I had it permanently plugged in.

I only needed it for a limited time (about 5 weeks) so I didn't investigate alternatives.
    Btw, it wasn't aimed out a window, so I'm not sure how it would work in that scenario

But, it's free and worth a whirl.

Why not get an Eufy doorbell. I have one which is excellent.

Simple answer. Cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭niallb

Speedsie wrote: »
    It's a while since I've run it, but it was a very old device with a knackered battery, so I had it permanently plugged in.

I only needed it for a limited time (about 5 weeks) so I didn't investigate alternatives.
    Btw, it wasn't aimed out a window, so I'm not sure how it would work in that scenario

But, it's free and worth a whirl.

You'll need to have it plugged in if you're going to have it running all day.
    I had also used IP Camera on an android which is a better app, but the phone heated up a lot so I moved away from it.

Thanks for all the help so far
    looking around at options, the alfred scenrio is great short term

but longer term, looking at other options, all I am looking for is to be able to view a live video feed from a phone or PC
    dont need cloud storage or anything like this or to have to pay subscriptions etc
    dont even really need 2 way audio,
    need a one with a battery

Overall: when the existing old school doorbell rings - that I can quickly open an app on a phone or pc and simply see who is at the door

1. Openuye: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07MZY7YGR/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_0JYAFbN74PP6C
    seems basic enough but should be ok

2. Blink XT2 https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07MN65X2G/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_L2YAFbYEN7ZRZ
    Not sure if this does what I want it to do, seems to be an 'add on'

3. Ring Stick up cam battery: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07Q4R7VWN/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_QfZAFbQAW322G

4. Ring video doorbell: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07WMKZZXL/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_9eZAFbPKW8JEF
    I presume I could just leave this on a window sill indoors too if needed. I am not entirely sure if this needs power or just has a battery

which would be best for my needs?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

biko wrote: »

will the ring video doorbell give me a continuous live feed?

or does the feed only come on when there is motion or bell rang etc

Thanks for all the help so far
    looking around at options, the alfred scenrio is great short term

but longer term, looking at other options, all I am looking for is to be able to view a live video feed from a phone or PC
    dont need cloud storage or anything like this or to have to pay subscriptions etc
    dont even really need 2 way audio,
    need a one with a battery

Overall: when the existing old school doorbell rings - that I can quickly open an app on a phone or pc and simply see who is at the door

1. Openuye: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07MZY7YGR/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_0JYAFbN74PP6C
    seems basic enough but should be ok

2. Blink XT2 https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07MN65X2G/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_L2YAFbYEN7ZRZ
    Not sure if this does what I want it to do, seems to be an 'add on'

3. Ring Stick up cam battery: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07Q4R7VWN/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_QfZAFbQAW322G

4. Ring video doorbell: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07WMKZZXL/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_9eZAFbPKW8JEF
    I presume I could just leave this on a window sill indoors too if needed. I am not entirely sure if this needs power or just has a battery

which would be best for my needs?

Apart from the first option, which is like the one I suggested, only with poorer quality picture and more expensive (even uses same phone app), your suggestions are all pretty much in the price range of the well known WiFi doorbells, so why not just take the plunge and spend the money to get one?

Apart from the first option, which is like the one I suggested, only with poorer quality picture and more expensive (even uses same phone app), your suggestions are all pretty much in the price range of the well known WiFi doorbells, so why not just take the plunge and spend the money to get one?

As in the ring video doorbell for 89 GBP?

• Advertisement

As in the ring video doorbell for 89 GBP?

Yeah, if you've happy to spend that. I don't have one and don't know anything about them but it's a trusted brand, with millions of users worldwide. I'd guess it's pretty bomb proof technology?

Advertisement