Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Crooked Blue Line

Options
  • 08-12-2019 12:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 81,641 ✭✭✭✭

A thread for police corruption...

It's one thing to see a beat cop do something dumb on their own - it's another when a whole department's shift seems to be complicit.

STOCKTON, Calif — About three days after a Stockton man accused San Joaquin County correctional officers of beating him and calling him racial slurs in jail, the county sheriff released video showing the man being walked out of a cell — bloody.

Jacob Servin told ABC10 Wednesday that he was leaving a bar early Monday morning when he was arrested by Stockton Police officers and taken to the San Joaquin County Jail for booking.

The Stockton Police Department released Servin's booking photo to ABC10, which shows him with no visible injuries and a smile on his face. After taking his booking photo, Stockton Police officials say they turned Servin over to officers inside the jail.

The newly released surveillance video from inside the jail's booking area appears to show that same transaction — Servin takes his booking photo, is handed to correctional officers inside the jail, and walked to the back to a holding cell while wearing handcuffs.

Servin told ABC10 that's when three officers assaulted him for "like 20 minutes," and repeatedly called him "terrorist" and "Arab." Servin said he is of Mexican and Native American descent.

For their part the department has alleged that once he was uncuffed the man 'became violent' but there's no evidence of any alarm by officers in the video at any time, and if that many officers can't pacify an individual without bludgeoning their face bloody, then they're all obscenely incompetent.

78501434_2629157243837714_1258709976491229184_o.jpg?_nc_cat=111&_nc_ohc=CGRK2NImkswAQm1FqMq4NlQvElcgUlWfaNjp1JK7_wZRs_qpvIbTmfKWA&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-1.xx&oh=e95ada2d29ea85f389c5b9c2a2cf9353&oe=5E6E010D

For his trouble the department is charging him with 5 counts of battery on a custodial officer.

The man on the street can tell you this is all horsehit and the taxpayers of the county will bear the cost and no officers/deputies will get more than a slap on the wrist. I am completely done with "The Blue Line" and it's utterly corrupted culture - 'Oh but Overheal there are good cops' - who operate inside of a system so corrupt and in their face they don't even see what is wrong with any of it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

Overheal wrote: »
    A thread for police corruption...

It's one thing to see a beat cop do something dumb on their own - it's another when a whole department's shift seems to be complicit.

For their part the department has alleged that once he was uncuffed the man 'became violent' but there's no evidence of any alarm by officers in the video at any time, and if that many officers can't pacify an individual without bludgeoning their face bloody, then they're all obscenely incompetent.

78501434_2629157243837714_1258709976491229184_o.jpg?_nc_cat=111&_nc_ohc=CGRK2NImkswAQm1FqMq4NlQvElcgUlWfaNjp1JK7_wZRs_qpvIbTmfKWA&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-1.xx&oh=e95ada2d29ea85f389c5b9c2a2cf9353&oe=5E6E010D

For his trouble the department is charging him with 5 counts of battery on a custodial officer.

The man on the street can tell you this is all horsehit and the taxpayers of the county will bear the cost and no officers/deputies will get more than a slap on the wrist. I am completely done with "The Blue Line" and it's utterly corrupted culture - 'Oh but Overheal there are good cops' - who operate inside of a system so corrupt and in their face they don't even see what is wrong with any of it.

however shocking, i don't know if you realise this or not but this happened in another country

• Registered Users Posts: 28,664 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

pure.conya wrote: »
    however shocking, i don't know if you realise this or not but this happened in another country

That's true, but let's not kid ourselves that we don't have significant issues within our own police force as well as we've seen time and again over the years - even in recent times we've had the McCabe saga, breathalyser scandal, evidence disappearing from Garda stations, guys getting into accidents because they were driving cars they weren't qualified to, the involvement in the water charges protests (more of a FG issue to be fair as AGS were used as private security), how Gardai found out can usually just retire early with no real penalty and their pension... and so on.

The new chief in fairness seems to be taking a harder line on a lot of this stuff to his credit, but there's a long way to go yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭TwoMonthsOff

Yeah.. was it the mention of Stockton California in the post that gave it away?

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    That's true, but let's not kid ourselves that we don't have significant issues within our own police force as well as we've seen time and again over the years - even in recent times we've had the McCabe saga, breathalyser scandal, evidence disappearing from Garda stations, guys getting into accidents because they were driving cars they weren't qualified to, the involvement in the water charges protests (more of a FG issue to be fair as AGS were used as private security), how Gardai found out can usually just retire early with no real penalty and their pension... and so on.

The new chief in fairness seems to be taking a harder line on a lot of this stuff to his credit, but there's a long way to go yet.

You really need to get your facts right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

They may not be so blatant here, but they can be just as corrupt and incompetent and you are GUARANTEED that all their blue colleagues will jump to their defence.

I've experienced it myself and currently taking proceedings against the state in relation to it. Separately I am looking for disciplinary action to be taken against the three gardai involved and it wasn't until a private off the record meeting with a senior member of gardai unconnected with the division, was something actually commenced.

The "blue glue" is phenomenal when you come up against it and its particularly bad at garda & sergeant rank

• Advertisement

bubblypop wrote: »

Really? How so? Did we not have a penalty points/breathalyser scandal? Was Maurice McCabe not seen as a "rat" and ostracised by his supposed colleagues? Have we not seen Gardai found guilty of wrong doing allowed to retire early rather than face charges? Have we not seen accidents where Gardai were found to be driving on "chief's permission" because they hadn't done the necessary tests?

I stand to be corrected, but aren't you a member yourself? (although even that term smacks of some sort of club house mentality). Might that be colouring your view?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,192 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

the involvement in the water charges protests (more of a FG issue to be fair as AGS were used as private security), .

What are you talking about with this? This is complete rubbish.

Gardai police all sorts of events, where public disturbance may be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

I'd love to state my facts - but I can't yet.

They are truly unbelievable, yet totally true. Even the solicitors representing me did not believe such incompetence could happen until they saw the evidence.

Funny, one decent garda said that this station has a "reputation".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭X111111111111

Personally i have no problem with the fuzz beating seven shades of s h it out of scumbags. We've gone the complete opposite direction in this country with the "hug a hoddie" policy and fear of the liberal do gooder industry. People should both fear and respect the police force of the state.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Slowyourrole

This seems to be correctional officers as opposed to police.

• Advertisement

Really? How so? Did we not have a penalty points/breathalyser scandal? Was Maurice McCabe not seen as a "rat" and ostracised by his supposed colleagues? Have we not seen Gardai found guilty of wrong doing allowed to retire early rather than face charges? Have we not seen accidents where Gardai were found to be driving on "chief's permission" because they hadn't done the necessary tests?

I stand to be corrected, but aren't you a member yourself? (although even that term smacks of some sort of club house mentality). Might that be colouring your view?

Maurice McCabe was not ostracised by his actual (dont know why you think they are 'supposed') colleagues. He said himself he got great support from his colleagues.
    gardai may resign from their job, same as anyone. They are not entitled to a pension if they have not completed their service.
    Gardai do indeed drive on Chiefs Permission, hardly anything to do with corruption, it is clearly a lack of training. Nothing to do with corruption.

there was indeed tickets being cancelled for friends by management, which was investigated fully I believe.

I agree there maybe incompetence, all in all, AGS are not a corrupt organisation.

OK, let's give examples...
    Maurice McCabe was not ostracised by his actual (dont know why you think they are 'supposed') colleagues. He said himself he got great support from his colleagues.

https://www.thejournal.ie/maurice-mccabe-called-a-rat-tribunal-3509099-Jul2017/
    GARDA WHISTLEBLOWER SERGEANT Maurice McCabe was the subject of “hostility and enmity” within the gardaí, the Charleton tribunal has heard.

McCabe’s barrister Michael McDowell said that while evidence had been given that garda witnesses never discussed McCabe, he was the subject of “a good deal of hostility and enmity from certain sources in the Cavan-Monaghan division”.

The tribunal was also told McCabe was bullied, and called a “rat” on social media, McDowell said.

"Supposed" colleagues (as that seems to have thrown you off) refers to the behaviour of people who he'd have worked closely with, were probably friends, and certainly not what you'd expect to happen in any situation - but especially not from within AGS

bubblypop wrote:
    gardai may resign from their job, same as anyone. They are not entitled to a pension if they have not completed their service.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/suspended-garda-officer-set-to-retire-in-coming-months-1.3748088
    The vast majority of investigations conducted by Gsoc into members of the force must cease if the Garda member under investigation resigns or retires

Handy that!

bubblypop wrote:
    Gardai do indeed drive on Chiefs Permission, hardly anything to do with corruption, it is clearly a lack of training. Nothing to do with corruption.

Incompetence and dangerous would be a better descriptor given there has been at least one fatality involved as I recall.

bubblypop wrote:
    there was indeed tickets being cancelled for friends by management, which was investigated fully I believe.

https://www.independent.ie/breaking-news/irish-news/hundreds-of-gardai-abused-driving-penalty-point-system-as-fines-and-points-wiped-36370346.html

Seems to have been a lot more extensive than "management" now to be fair!
    The watchdog warned that superintendents and inspectors wiped points and fines for driving offences outside their geographical area, contrary to policy.

Almost three quarters of the records of notices being cancelled did not carry any sufficient rationale for the action.

Some 442 officers were authorised to wipe fixed charge notices in the four years from 2009 to 2012, the report found.

The Garda Ombudsman also found that some serving gardai used the credentials of retired senior colleagues, who would have had the authority to cancel the penalties, in order to wipe the slate clean for friends and relatives.

Here's another one I referenced above:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/money-seized-as-evidence-by-garda%C3%AD-goes-missing-14-times-in-three-years-1.3686113
    Money taken into evidence by gardaí went missing from stations on more than a dozen occasions over a three-year period.*

Between January 1st, 2015, and December 31st, 2017, 14 sums of money confiscated by gardaí as part of investigations disappeared from the evidence storage facilities of stations around the country.

How does money just "disappear" from I assume secure lockups in Garda stations?

bubblypop wrote:
    I agree there maybe incompetence, all in all, AGS are not a corrupt organisation.

Hmmm....

OK, let's give examples...

https://www.thejournal.ie/maurice-mccabe-called-a-rat-tribunal-3509099-Jul2017/

"Supposed" colleagues (as that seems to have thrown you off) refers to the behaviour of people who he'd have worked closely with, were probably friends, and certainly not what you'd expect to happen in any situation - but especially not from within AGS

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/suspended-garda-officer-set-to-retire-in-coming-months-1.3748088

Handy that!

Incompetence and dangerous would be a better descriptor given there has been at least one fatality involved as I recall.

https://www.independent.ie/breaking-news/irish-news/hundreds-of-gardai-abused-driving-penalty-point-system-as-fines-and-points-wiped-36370346.html

Seems to have been a lot more extensive than "management" now to be fair!

Here's another one I referenced above:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/money-seized-as-evidence-by-garda%C3%AD-goes-missing-14-times-in-three-years-1.3686113

How does money just "disappear" from I assume secure lockups in Garda stations?

Hmmm....

of course McCabe's solicitor tried to make the situation as bad as possible. Maurice himself however, stated he received a lot of support from colleagues.
    BTW, colleagues are not necessarily friends.

'management' refers to Superintendent level and above, which, btw, is the rank at which the Law states can cancel tickets.

I think you will find people who can retire from AGS, have 30 years service done. Which is the amount of service you need to pay into and receive your full pension. anyone can retire after 30 years service.
    no-one resigns early and receives a pension.

as regards training, I dont think you will find a Guard in the country who doesn't want more training. If the money and resources are not provided by management/government, I don't know how you could in anyway think that it is corruption.

and yes, in years gone by, sometimes evidence has gone missing. Of course, times are different now, thankfully, and AGS have a very modern system in place to control all property and evidence in their possession. Which is great & hardly an indicator of a 'corrupt' police force.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

blanch152 wrote: »
    What are you talking about with this? This is complete rubbish.

Gardai police all sorts of events, where public disturbance may be an issue.

I think he's referring to the politically motivated dawn raid on Murphy and the three or more Garda giving the same word for word 'mistaken' evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭BuzzMcdonnell

The Gardai consists of individuals from across Irish society. So naturally, just as you would find corrupt and morally questionable individuals in the general Irish population it’s unavoidable that some of these individuals will end up working in all professions, including policing.

While AGS certainly has seen it’s fair share of scandals, I doubt there’s any police force that’s hasn’t also seen instances of corruption and whistleblower intimidation. Not that it’s any excuse, all police forces should work towards being completely corruption free, but I don’t think AGS as a whole is a corrupt organisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭wassie

My view is that there is a very deliberate reason why a former deputy head of the PSNI got the top job here - to give the joint a clean out from the top down.

A proper hard nut prepared to take the hard line without fear nor favour.

wassie wrote: »
    My view is that there is a very deliberate reason why a former deputy head of the PSNI got the top job here - to give the joint a clean out from the top down.

A proper hard nut prepared to take the hard line without fear nor favour.

And it was badly needed too. There seems to be a lot of resistance from within the force, but that only proves the need.

After all, his immediate predecessors weren't much use.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

The scandals over the past few years seem to come at them hard and fast, not all are bad but the seemingly inability to show transparent changes as a results of some of the scandals is dogging them.

There is also a bit of a culture shock as they are going from an organization that may have liked the respect it has gotten in past and have grown entitled to it to one that is not looked upon favorably.

I would love a replay of the little pay stunt they did a few years back, id say the government would have support to tell them to get their house in order before they be given anything.

While the whole force is not corrupt, the nature in which they circle the wagons and shelter their own is bad as they essentially work for themselves and not the state.

Example of the entitled behavior: https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/high-court/solicitor-whose-home-was-raided-in-catastrophic-mistake-settles-court-action-1.4095775

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

IMO Garda deserve respect because of the work they do. They are human. I think a big problem, like with the legal and medical professions was people within and without putting them up on some kind of higher moral level simply based on their job. As with the aforementioned you will have blagards take advantage of that trust and place in society.
    We should never judge someone positively or negatively simply based on their job.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,641 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

“An Garda Síochána: Perfection Itself?” I find that hard to believe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,641 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

This seems to be correctional officers as opposed to police.

Same cult different scope of work. In most cases they work in the same buildings, break in the same rooms, etc.

IMO Garda deserve respect because of the work they do. They are human. I think a big problem, like with the legal and medical professions was people within and without putting them up on some kind of higher moral level simply based on their job. As with the aforementioned you will have blagards take advantage of that trust and place in society.
    We should never judge someone positively or negatively simply based on their job.

There is a big difference between respecting the individual versus the organization. I know a couple of serving members through family who are decent folk but it doesn't mean i won't critique the organization on a whole.

The problem with pointing out that its only a small number of individuals and not all Guards is that until they have a transparent and culture of accountability then its very very hard to trust how corrupt the organization is.

Also on the whole moral front they are afforded certain privilege to do their job that ordinary citizens do not, so yes they must be above reproach when going about their job. A cute hoor in the force should not be tolerated, thats how we get the likes of the credit union fiasco in Templemore.

Calhoun wrote: »
    The problem with pointing out that its only a small number of individuals and not all Guards is that until they have a transparent and culture of accountability

But why do people think there is not a transparent culture of accountability?
    Any scandal that has come out has been dealt with properly.
    Any issues that arise are dealt with appropriately.
    Any Gardai that does wrong are dealt with appropriately.
    If the general public didn't hear about these things, then I would worry about corruption.
    The fact that these issues are in the public domain shows that they are not hidden

There is massive overseeing of ags, gsoc, policing authority etc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 dubzjay

I don't blame Gardai for half-arsing their job.

Everyone in this country is trying to pull some kind of stroke and no one in power seems to care all that much.

Why would you bother trying to enforce the law when some sheltered simpleton of a judge will probably let the fella you caught off with a dog-ate-my-homework excuse? Waste of time and effort.

We don't care about justice in this country because it doesn't put the extra few quid in our arse pocket at the end of the week if we have lock people up so why should the Gardai put that much effort into their job? We don't care so why should they?

But why do people think there is not a transparent culture of accountability?
    Any scandal that has come out has been dealt with properly.
    Any issues that arise are dealt with appropriately.
    Any Gardai that does wrong are dealt with appropriately.
    If the general public didn't hear about these things, then I would worry about corruption.
    The fact that these issues are in the public domain shows that they are not hidden

There is massive overseeing of ags, gsoc, policing authority etc

Was anyone held accountable for penalty point scandal? or the reporting scandal on breath tests and checkpoints? What about the misuse of funds in Templemore? or the Morrish Tribunal?

Did we have any arrests other than forced cushy retirement?

Any time stuff like this is made public they seem to circle the wagon and say it wasn't us. Look at Maurice McCabe and what they did to him, that alone shows how corrupt and self serving they can be and until they address it properly there will always be the question.

Also out of all of those overseeing, i don't think any are really doing the job. GSOC lost allot of its credibility around the time of the security breach.

Was anyone held accountable for penalty point scandal? or the reporting scandal on breath tests and checkpoints? What about the misuse of funds in Templemore? or the Morrish Tribunal?

Did we have any arrests other than forced cushy retirement?

Any time stuff like this is made public they seem to circle the wagon and say it wasn't us. Look at Maurice McCabe and what they did to him, that alone shows how corrupt and self serving they can be and until they address it properly there will always be the question.

Also out of all of those overseeing, i don't think any are really doing the job. GSOC lost allot of its credibility around the time of the security breach.

Yep, there was members held accountable for the penalty points 'scandal '
    Templemore is a completely different issue, no tax payers money was used inappropriately
    And what was done to Maurice Mc Cabe?

Yep, there was members held accountable for the penalty points 'scandal '
    Templemore is a completely different issue, no tax payers money was used inappropriately
    And what was done to Maurice Mc Cabe?

I think you are being disingenuous if you have to ask what was done to Maurice McCabe.

Templemore was not directly a tax payer issue but that shouldn't really matter should it? Although there are multiple parts to it, just this one https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/eu-opens-inquiry-on-templemore-garda-college-money-1.3123031 was EU funds.

I think you are being disingenuous if you have to ask what was done to Maurice McCabe.

Templemore was not directly a tax payer issue but that shouldn't really matter should it? Although there are multiple parts to it, just this one https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/eu-opens-inquiry-on-templemore-garda-college-money-1.3123031 was EU funds.

Not being disingenuous at all. What do you think happened to him?
    The second part has an investigation but no report as to the outcome?

You a serving corrupt member yourself?

• Advertisement

You a serving corrupt member yourself?

That's a bit far now in fairness, but as I said above, they are a member alright as far as I recall (although that point was ignored in the initial response), so it's only natural to defend one's job and colleagues to an extent if so.

However, regardless of that, asking things like what happened to McCabe, claiming that money going missing from evidence was from "years gone by" when it happened as recently as 2 years ago from the article I referenced, ignoring the point that Gardai were using credentials of retired senior colleagues to cancel penalty points (doesn't say much for their IT security either) but claiming it was "management" alone, and other such statements in the posts above don't add much to the defence of AGS.

No one has said that every individual Garda is corrupt, lazy or incompetent, but there are enough that fit that bill (as we've seen time and again) to undermine the force as a whole and discredit the good work that is done.

The rot seems to extend from rank and file to the senior management team, so it's a very good thing that the latest commissioner (unlike his recent predecessors) is an outsider who seems to be taking a zero tolerance approach to this stuff.

At a time when trust and credibility in the force has been badly hit in the eyes of the public, you'd think any decent Garda who takes their job and the responsibility it comes with seriously would welcome such reforms and do everything they can to support and cooperate with them - not attempt to play down the problems we all know exist.

I hope he (Harris) succeeds because the only other alternative is to completely dismantle and rebuild the force from the ground up RUC/PSNI style. The secretive "us vs them" Garda clubhouse mentality has no place in a modern accountable police force, which is what this country badly needs.

Advertisement