Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are ye embarrassed?

• 06-02-2010 4:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Being one of the weak sisters of Europe, according to a recent NY Times article.

Ireland is now regarded as being part of PIIGS (along with Italy, Portugal, Spain and Greece), with high structural deficits matched with low prospects for the kind of economic growth and productivity improvements that can bring them back to health.

Now, I'm trying to figure out how Ireland got lumped in with a bunch of nations that are inherently different (culturally, geographically etc).
    I wonder why Ireland is not aligned with Northern European countries with respect to efficiency and competitiveness, but instead grouped with Southern European countries where there is a tendency to be a bit more 'relaxed' when it comes to the work ethic.

Ireland does not have the abundant sunshine to 'tire' us, like our Mediterranean sisters, or the playground of the rich and famous to distract us, so why have we found ourselves to be part of their family?

New York Times Article

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Kivaro wrote: »
    Ireland does not have the abundant sunshine to 'tire' us, like our Mediterranean sisters, or the playground of the rich and famous to distract us, so why have we found ourselves to be part of their family?
    Drink

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

Drink
    Feck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Slugs

It's quite simple really, the other 3 countries are dependant on tourism to bring in the money. Now that we're in a recession, their earnings have collapsed. As for us, we're dependant on foreign business. Now that it's become apparent that we're too expensive to employ or buy in, it's going to be unlikely for us to recover fully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

Why would we be :confused: I dont care what some stupid article says about Ireland.And if we do then we are sheep:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

What do the NY times know about europe :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Ireland is now regarded as being part of PIIGS (along with Italy, Portugal, Spain and Greece), with high structural deficits matched with low prospects for the kind of economic growth and productivity improvements that can bring them back to health.

Now, I'm trying to figure out how Ireland got lumped in with a bunch of nations that are inherently different (culturally, geographically etc).

You....you just answered your own question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,066 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Now, I'm trying to figure out how Ireland got lumped in with ... countries where there is a tendency to be a bit more 'relaxed' when it comes to the work ethic.

You're joking right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

@ OP

Speaking as the embassador for the wasteful, dole scrounging youth, I would rather be sitting in my bedroom smoking a jay and listening to Them Crooked Vultures than doing a hard days work.
    Sexy rock music and squidgy black, I think you'll find, is alot more tiring than the sun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Being one of the weak sisters of Europe, according to a recent NY Times article.

I wonder why Ireland is not aligned with Northern European countries with respect to efficiency and competitiveness, but instead grouped with Southern European countries where there is a tendency to be a bit more 'relaxed' when it comes to the work ethic.

New York Times Article

Eh because for the most part we're a nation of lazy chancers. For example I'd bet whatever the "After Hours" equivilant in Germany is isn't half as busy as the one on boards.ie 9-5 Mon-Fri.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

I'd only be embarrassed if I was ever a member, supporter, or voter of FF. Who should really be FFS.

• Advertisement

bonerm wrote: »
    Eh because for the most part we're a nation of lazy chancers. For example I'd bet whatever the "After Hours" equivilant in Germany is isn't half as busy as the one on boards.ie 9-5 Mon-Fri.

Speak for your self self hating always good trait in some Irish.

I personally know only reason some of them americans etc.. arent on computer on sites 24 7 in work because they are now watched with some security system:rolleyes: Other than that i know for a fact they are on it all the time during work;) The germans just dont talk much at all anyhow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭cleremy jarkson

Overheal wrote: »
    You're joking right?

Actually, I also think of those countries' people as being more laid back than northern europeans with regard to work and efficiency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

Drink
    Leftyflip wrote: »
    Feck!

Arse!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

jd007 wrote: »
    Arse!

GIRLS!!!

• Irish people are incredibly lazy. I've worked abroad and couldn't get over how hard people worked compared to here. I did an internship in France and even the 15 year olds were working their asses off and asking if there was anything they could help with. Here, people try to do as little as possible and skive off home early. And I include myself in that.

[quote=[Deleted User];64345054]Irish people are incredibly lazy. I've worked abroad and couldn't get over how hard people worked compared to here. I did an internship in France and even the 15 year olds were working their asses off and asking if there was anything they could help with. Here, people try to do as little as possible and skive off home early. And I include myself in that.[/QUOTE]

Wow another one:rolleyes: As a matter of fact speak again only for your self.I know plenty of teens who want to work and aren't allowed ;) until 16 :rolleyes:
    I worked with teens in a school and they would have jumped at chance of working but aren't allowed to.I myself worked from 12 and so did my sister and my brother.All my friends worked.And all them teens i worked with when hit 16 got part time jobs some two.
    Seriously this whole ****ting on your own country and bad mouthing them is getting old in favour of other countries.Its beyond sad.
    Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

Don't forget those lazy Mexicans:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭schween

We were put in the PIIGS group a long time ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,066 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Actually, I also think of those countries' people as being more laid back than northern europeans with regard to work and efficiency.
    I never referred to other Countries I referred to The Republic of Ireland located at 57^N by 7^W.

How anyone could be in doubt about a slouch Irish work ethic is beyond me. I don't mean to antagonize, or paint hard workers with the same brush, or discriminate, but from what I've seen for every good decent honest working Irishman there is 15 other wasters right behind him. They're either smoking hash, dealing E's when they're supposed to be out handling our deliveries, at home at the dole, collecting dole while they work for cash, or an all time favorite: in the pub of which there is at least 5 in every village (but only 2 places to buy food). On the dole.

I've seen the good honest working sort - and they are impressive - but it seems like that ethic has begun rapidly thinning out.

Now before anybody accuses me of being racist the US has its own staggering problems with short-timers and self entitled wasters but thats another day.

schween wrote: »
    We were put in the PIIGS group a long time ago.

+1
    That phrase has been around for at least two years, it's very topical that are at the new york times. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I've seen the good honest working sort - and they are impressive - but it seems like that ethic has begun rapidly thinning out.

Now before anybody accuses me of being racist the US has its own staggering problems with short-timers and self entitled wasters but thats another day.

There a whole generation here that got used to the EE's doing the shitty jobs, now not any more! When the money for benifits runs out, thry'll either work or emigrate.

New York Times Article

Why would I be embarassed? I'm not responsible for the corruption, shambolic planning and greed that brought us here. And besides I couldn't give a crap what the NY times thinks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

1. Catholicism, and the attendant work ethic.
    2. Leadership, and the outlook that "politicians are all the same" / "sure I can't change anything".
    3. Cronyism, corruption, lack of ethics in government.

We've always been in this group. A couple of factors (10% corpo tax rate for one) helped us out of there for a few years, but now we're back in there.

We need to work on the three points above if we want to get out of the PIIG category for the long-term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I'm mortified, absolutely mortified.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Now, I'm trying to figure out how Ireland got lumped in with a bunch of nations that are inherently different (culturally, geographically etc)...

Does it really have to be stated? Here's a hint to one big damn reason: HERE
    (Post 32 referring to an IMF report)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Xluna

Are ye embarressed?

That would be an ecumenical matter!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Initially, I put it down to mis-management. But I've noticed how FF are gaining in the polls again. Then I wait for the killer punch from the opposition parties, but that ain't happening. Then you'd figure people would rise up to form a real alternative party that focused on corruption, competitiveness, law and order that dealt in reality, and a working healthcare system. Don't see any sign of that happening.

Now I'm wondering if it's a cultural problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

I'm certainly not embarrassed about the NY Times saying something like that.

More embarrassed that we managed to get ourselves into this situation in the first place.

Just thank your lucky stars that we weren't lumped in with Iceland.

Hank_Jones wrote: »

Just thank your lucky stars that we weren't lumped in with Iceland.

Just one consonant away.

Edit: anyway, possibly one of the cleverest con tricks ever,
    attact foreign investment, then engineer a scheme where most of this wealth is transferred to the chosen few via greedy intermeditories.

"Chosen" people invested in property in the late 90's, a massive housing boom ensured making many people extremly rich, the smart ones bailed out in the mid noughties and ran with the money - leaving the greedy ones left holding the baby & many thousands stuck in overpriced houses with negative equitity.

The country was run like a car with a drunk at the wheel on an icy hill.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭InKonspikuou2

Who gives a fúck about work ethic? Why work your bollix off for some big multinational, retire in your 70's because you can't afford to retire earlier and then die when you can do feck all and still get the same money. I've had jobs since i was 16 but i've never actually worked a hard day in my life. Too much emphasis on working hard. No wonder stress exists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭Angry Troll

and just this (unfortunately widespread) attitude is one of the underlying reasons ireland is in that piigs group…

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Gunnerkid

to the op if you dont like it **** off out of this country, by the way there are plenty of hard working Irish like there are plenty of hardworking polish, americans, germans, english ect ect ect. There will always be a minority of lazy bums in every society. And I really do not give two ****s what the NY times has to say about us maybe they should be looking at their countrys problems instead of ares

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Gunnerkid wrote: »
    to the op if you dont like it **** off out of this country, by the way there are plenty of hard working Irish like there are plenty of hardworking polish, americans, germans, english ect ect ect. There will always be a minority of lazy bums in every society. And I really do not give two ****s what the NY times has to say about us maybe they should be looking at their countrys problems instead of ares

I left 2 years ago and my quality of life has drastically improved. I tried to change the status quo in Ireland, but it was like banging my head against a brick wall.

I feel bad for the sizable percentage of Irish people who are hard working and live their lives in a conscientious manner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

I feel bad for the sizable percentage of Irish people who are hard working and live their lives in a conscientious manner.

Well, unfortunately if you weren't in the cabal (FF tent) you counted for SFA

• caseyann wrote: »
    Wow another one:rolleyes: As a matter of fact speak again only for your self.I know plenty of teens who want to work and aren't allowed ;) until 16 :rolleyes:
    I worked with teens in a school and they would have jumped at chance of working but aren't allowed to.I myself worked from 12 and so did my sister and my brother.All my friends worked.And all them teens i worked with when hit 16 got part time jobs some two.
    Seriously this whole ****ting on your own country and bad mouthing them is getting old in favour of other countries.Its beyond sad.

Oh, do you? Good for you. I'll leave aside the fact that I didn't grow up in Ireland (so '****ting on my own country' doesn't apply) as my laziness could have been caused by my Irish genes. Have you ever worked in another country? I've worked in several, and on the whole, the laziest, most useless employees who constantly called in sick from being hungover or showed up to work hungover were Irish. In fact, when I lived in Belgium, I was discriminated against by employers when I said I was from Ireland. I was told they'd had very bad experiences with Irish being unreliable and lazy, not turning up to work and doing the bare minimum when they did turn up. That didn't surprise me in the slightest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

yeah i'm scarlet :P

[quote=[Deleted User];64347850]Oh, do you? Good for you. I'll leave aside the fact that I didn't grow up in Ireland (so '****ting on my own country' doesn't apply) as my laziness could have been caused by my Irish genes. Have you ever worked in another country? I've worked in several, and on the whole, the laziest, most useless employees who constantly called in sick from being hungover or showed up to work hungover were Irish. In fact, when I lived in Belgium, I was discriminated against by employers when I said I was from Ireland. I was told they'd had very bad experiences with Irish being unreliable and lazy, not turning up to work and doing the bare minimum when they did turn up. That didn't surprise me in the slightest.[/QUOTE]

So whats your other genes? Maybe blame your laziness on that gene :rolleyes:

• caseyann wrote: »
    So whats your other genes? Maybe blame your laziness on that gene :rolleyes:

You're really good at missing the point, aren't you? This isn't about me. FYI, I'm mostly English, and nobody has ever given me the 'English people are lazy' speech at an interview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭loctite

[quote=[Deleted User];64347850]Oh, do you? Good for you. I'll leave aside the fact that I didn't grow up in Ireland (so '****ting on my own country' doesn't apply) as my laziness could have been caused by my Irish genes. Have you ever worked in another country? I've worked in several, and on the whole, the laziest, most useless employees who constantly called in sick from being hungover or showed up to work hungover were Irish. In fact, when I lived in Belgium, I was discriminated against by employers when I said I was from Ireland. I was told they'd had very bad experiences with Irish being unreliable and lazy, not turning up to work and doing the bare minimum when they did turn up. That didn't surprise me in the slightest.[/QUOTE]

You've obviously never worked in Oz so....... THEY are the laziest workforce on the planet......

Anyway whats the big deal?.... everyone is entitled to their own opinion of what a healthy work ethic is.... In today's day and age, with such an abundance of supply of labour on the market, all those that are harder working will most likely maintain their jobs while their slacker co-workers are cut as companies strive to increase productivity.

I would like to class myself as one of those hard workers, but the older I become the more I realise that when I die, I'm not going to look back at my life wishing I had worked harder.....

Work to live, not live to work........remember that the economy exists to make our lives better, not so we can work ourselves to the bone to increase productivity and GDP... That's my opinion anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

I'm actually getting annoyed reading the whole 'the Irish are so lazy and every other country works harder...' bullshit. We're not lazy, how did we ever end up with real economic growth in the 1990s? That was when our economy was based on manufacturing growth, before the credit fueled housing bubble. What's funny is the Irish have always been called lazy, all we're missing in the thread is an illustration or cartoon of 'Paddy the violent drunk' from Punch. We're relaxed but definitely not lazy.
    I don't mind being lumped in with Spain, Portugal, Greece etc... we've always been lumped in with them, that's no surprise nor is it something to be ashamed of, similar economies and political institutions (conservative and corrupt as fuck). The big problem with this country that'll separate us from the rest is that we wont learn from our mistakes and sooner or later, we're going to have another housing bubble or that's what the government wants. That's the economic recovery in a nut shell and if you think I'm wrong, why the fuck did we bail out Anglo? BOI and AIB I can get, but Anglo, that was a developers bank and epitomises the housing bubble.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭cleremy jarkson

I never referred to other Countries I referred to The Republic of Ireland located at 57^N by 7^W.

Ah right...I just meant the other four.

• loctite wrote: »
    You've obviously never worked in Oz so....... THEY are the laziest workforce on the planet......

Anyway whats the big deal?.... everyone is entitled to their own opinion of what a healthy work ethic is.... In today's day and age, with such an abundance of supply of labour on the market, all those that are harder working will most likely maintain their jobs while their slacker co-workers are cut as companies strive to increase productivity.

I would like to class myself as one of those hard workers, but the older I become the more I realise that when I die, I'm not going to look back at my life wishing I had worked harder.....

Work to live, not live to work........remember that the economy exists to make our lives better, not so we can work ourselves to the bone to increase productivity and GDP... That's my opinion anyway.

I'm not disagreeing with you. I think life is too short to work yourself into the ground. I'm simply saying that having in worked in various places, I've found the Irish to be generally lazier than other nationalities and therefore it's no surprise that we are not being lumped in with the Germans as an efficient and productive workforce.

[quote=[Deleted User];64354239]You're really good at missing the point, aren't you? This isn't about me. FYI, I'm mostly English, and nobody has ever given me the 'English people are lazy' speech at an interview.[/QUOTE]

Maybe because you tell them your Irish :rolleyes: Try saying your English next time or do you swap and change :pac:

English are all such hard working brilliant people aren't they all of them not a single one who would binge drink or go to work with a hang over or would try get out of doing something in work.:rolleyes:

Yes worked abroad have been told Irish are approachable friendly warm hard working and will never try to avoid a job they are given.I say Irish and i am like in the door almost immediately even invited to work abroad.
    Funny isn't it how some say one thing and others say another.Every country in world has lazy bums,other people who don't do the work are not happy with it but have no choice.

Ah all us Irish lazy bums god shame on us we didn't make jobs in this country,nor did our grandparents or great grand parents work for pennies blood and sweat.It was everyone else in world :D

loctite wrote: »

No but that's how they see it if you aren't making the big wigs money and breaking your neck for them you are lazy work force.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Xluna wrote: »
    That would be an ecumenical matter!:mad:

I'm putting the NY Times down in my list of enemies.......haha only joking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

markesmith wrote: »
    1. Catholicism, and the attendant work ethic.

:confused:. Could you explain this one please?

I can't see the link between catholocism and work ethic....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Misty Chaos

Put it this way, if you were working in completely thankless job, your work ethic would tend to go down the drain! ( Do I need to mention its soul destroying? )

Another thing, I know people ( including family ) who overwork themselves and end up going on 3-4+ day benders as a result because ' they deserve a break. ' :rolleyes:

I'm just saying.

vinylmesh wrote: »
    :confused:. Could you explain this one please?

I can't see the link between catholocism and work ethic....
    Don't work on Sunday or the priest (who is actually working) will kick your arse!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭gamblitis

Bonito wrote: »
    GIRLS!!!

More Water!

gamblitis wrote: »
    More Water!
    "Ride them sideways was another one"

• Advertisement
Advertisement