Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you / Could you ever be a vegetarian?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

smokingman wrote: »
    Doesn't tofu increase your estrogen levels...even in males...
    Explains why veggie guys are so effeminate I suppose...:P

It's true, soy does increese estrogen levels, this is one of the dietry reasons why there is no word for menopause in the japanese language!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

I did the whole vegetarian thing for about five months at the start of the new millenium. It is not a way of life that I would recommend to anyone.

We were given incissors for a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

A few years ago i was going to become a veggie but i decided against! mmm meat...i couldn't live without it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Doesn't tofu increase your estrogen levels...even in males...
    Explains why veggie guys are so effeminate I suppose...:P

I heard something like this on another part of the forum, when someone asked about protein powders.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Seaneh wrote: »
    It's true, soy does increese estrogen levels, this is one of the dietry reasons why there is no word for menopause in the japanese language!
    Soya contains Phytoestrogens which can mimic the chemical effect of estrogen, but are in fact, not estrogen.

The chemicals found in soya have no effect on male fertility in adults and do not affect testosterone levels or femininity.

There is in fact a word for menopause in Japanese. There is no word for "hot flash" in Japanese, you've clearly been the victim of some form of misheard/altered myth. Hot flashes are rare in Japan because phytoestrogens can help maintain estrogen balance in the menopausal body.

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    Soya contains Phytoestrogens which can mimic the chemical effect of estrogen, but are in fact, not estrogen.

The chemicals found in soya have no effect on male fertility in adults and do not affect testosterone levels or femininity.

There is in fact a word for menopause in Japanese. There is no word for "hot flash" in Japanese, you've clearly been the victim of some form of misheard/altered myth. Hot flashes are rare in Japan because phytoestrogens can help maintain estrogen balance in the menopausal body.

er, I got con fuddled, I read the source of my (self confused) info about 6 years ago and it always stuck with me.

But yeah, I knew it was something like that.

When did the seagull turn into a smarty pants?

When he learned how to use google and wikipedia to appear like he knows a lot.

OOOOOooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhHHHHH!

(I actually said it that long with those pitcxh changes, true story)

That's just cheating!

I'm coming for you Seamus, I know where you (used to at least) live!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭smokingman

You sure about that?

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Mrs JackDaniels

Veggie since i was 8 and still going strong
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Bloody anti - vegetarian nazis.

Hitler was a vegetarian.. so eh I think you'll find you guys are the nazis :pac:

Arf!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭monellia

We were given incissors for a reason.
    Yes - to tear through tough food materials, not necessarily meat.

The Belfast study showed that eating large amount of soya in early childhood could lead to problems with sperm count and fertility in later years. There was no link between moderate intake (i.e. tofu with dinner 2/3 times a week) in adults and any kind of fertility problems.
    The primary concern raised by the study was the sheer volume of soya-based products in everyday foods (not just vegetarian ones) and the fact that we are feeding these to our children, who may grow up to be affected by it.
    Cunny-Funt wrote: »
    Hitler was a vegetarian.. so eh I think you'll find you guys are the nazis :pac:
    Hitler was a vegetarian for medical reasons, not ethical ones. He loved meat and often ate it, even when he wasn't supposed to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭smokingman

Oi, you, stop googling ffs, you're making us think you're smart all of a sudden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I just eat meat out of habit tbh... I could probably be a vegetarian if I cared enough, but I'm quite content to eat meat so I'll continue to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

Not a chance I could go without eating meat. I love it.

All you vegetarians out there eating fish?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

Naos wrote: »

Nope

Good woman!

Nothing more hypocritical than a vegetarian that eats fish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

"You do know Daves a vegetarian..."

*Surprised look*

"Oh my god dude....How long has he had that?"

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Keogg

No way could I be a Vegetarian.
    I love meat waaay too much.

Gimme some steak over veggies anyday, and it had better be bleeding on the inside... Mmmmmmm

A vegetarian that east fish is known as a pescatarian. A person who eats fish but calls themselves vegetarian is simply misinformed, not hypocritical.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Mrs JackDaniels

god no!! fish eeeeewwwwww

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Can't afford meat that often these days, sucks. Would probably have to give it up if I ever went to the US, or only eat organic, the farming industry over there is too messed up to just eat the run of the mill stuff.

Nothing more hypocritical than a vegetarian that eats fish.

Unless you counts a meateater dictating how vegetarians should subscribe to their idea of a cookie cutter moral code.

A vegetarian that east fish is known as a pescatarian. A person who eats fish but calls themselves vegetarian is simply misinformed, not hypocritical.

Agreed and I know the term Pescatarian, however I have met a lot of "Vegetarians" who also eat fish. I do understand that that's not hypocritical, so I'll retract that.

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Unless you counts a meateater dictating how vegetarians should subscribe to their idea of a cookie cutter moral code.

Whats a cookie cutter moral code when it's at home?

And are you one of these "Vegetarians" that eat fish?

Agreed and I know the term Pescatarian, however I have met a lot of "Vegetarians" who also eat fish.
    To be fair, it's also easier when you're eating out to say "vegetarian" because most people know what that is. We had a discussion once with a waitress in Meath who swore blind that vegetarians eat fish, despite having 5 vegetarians arguing with her. When we told her that was a pescetarian, her answer was, "I thought that was a religion". (Presbyterian)
    Imagine telling someone in the South of France that you're pescetarian....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

Whats the point in vegetarian Mince / Sausages / Burgers etc...

If you're a vegitarian, why are you eating a meat imitation?

Advertisement