Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you / Could you ever be a vegetarian?

Options
  • 29-04-2009 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭

I say fair play to those who adopt this choice and can do it, but it would never work for me. I'm a true and true carnivore (omnivore if you count mushrooms and onions) and the mere prospect of life without eating meat is a nightmare not worth entertaining.

So are you a vegetarian or do you live for meat? (ahem)

Could you or would you ever become vegetarian by choice?

How does a life without meat sound? 203 votes

I do live without meat.
    0% 0 votes
    I could live without meat, may even do it someday.
    23% 48 votes
    I need my meat, it makes me who I am.
    15% 32 votes
    I actually eat only vegetarians, where do I fit in?
    60% 123 votes

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i am one of those freaks and have been for the last 20 years

never... i don't see any point in it.

i don't consider a meal a meal without some meat..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

I was throughout my teens. I started eating chicken in my twenties, but thats pretty much it. Im thinking about going completely veggie again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

I'm an omnivore. I enjoy meat. It's not a large part of my diet, though, I really only have meat once a week or so lately, and a bit in my bolognaise.

Humans need certain proteins from meat for proper development, whether vegetarians/vegans want to believe it or not. It also helps with brain development. If we weren't meant to eat meat, we would not have evolved as omnivores, we would've evolved as vegetarians.

Plus anyone who can say no to a good barbecue is simply insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

I tried a few times and failed each time. I can't help it. I just really love bacon.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

Archeron wrote: »
    I say fair play to those who adopt this choice and can do it, but it would never work for me. I'm a true and true carnivore (omnivore if you count mushrooms and onions) and the mere prospect of life without eating meat is a nightmare not worth entertaining.

So are you a vegetarian or do you live for meat? (ahem)

Could you or would you ever become vegetarian by choice?

Ah great a topic after my own heart.

I'm a veggie. Never really liked meat as a child, gave it up properly at 12. Never liked the taste of it. Girl I work with doesnt like the taste of it either so I dont think we're all born carnivores.

I do it for moral reasons aswell, but have long learned to just stick to 'I dont like the taste of it ' if anyone asks, as if you give moral reasons people will argue with you to the death, when I really dont care what anyone else does. They're like 'do you eat this , do you eat this?' and eventually theyll get you to admit that you ate a cake containing eggs or something, and then go 'AHA you're not REALLY a vegetarian'.

Bloody anti - vegetarian nazis.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Love steak, chicken and rashers too much to even think about a life without them.

liah wrote: »
    I'm an omnivore. I enjoy meat. It's not a large part of my diet, though, I really only have meat once a week or so lately, and a bit in my bolognaise.

Humans need certain proteins from meat for proper development, whether vegetarians/vegans want to believe it or not. It also helps with brain development. If we weren't meant to eat meat, we would not have evolved as omnivores, we would've evolved as vegetarians.

Plus anyone who can say no to a good barbecue is simply insane.

I've been a vegetarian since i was a child and I was consistently top of my class.

So you're talking sh*te!

You can get all the protein you need from other sources.

Plus some of the strongest and biggest animals are herbivores, so it does no harm to you physically either.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

I've been vegetarian for the last 16 years. Christ! It's been that long already!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭laurashambles

Haven't eaten meat since I was 13. Dead stuff freaks me out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

No meat = not a meal

you're talking sh*te!

Yup, utter shíte...
    http://berkeley.edu/news/media/releases/99legacy/6-14-1999a.html

Without meat we wouldn't be where we are today.

It still helps kids obtain necessary nutrients in a much easier, more efficient manner today, since a lot of kids really only eat junk and won't eat a lot of "alternative" veggies that adult vegetarians would consume to make up for the lost nutrients you can get from red meat.

Yup, utter shíte...
    http://berkeley.edu/news/media/releases/99legacy/6-14-1999a.html

Without meat we wouldn't be where we are today.

It still helps kids obtain necessary nutrients in a much easier, more efficient manner today, since a lot of kids really only eat junk and won't eat a lot of "alternative" veggies that adult vegetarians would consume to make up for the lost nutrients you can get from red meat.

Sorry Liah, I didnt mean to phrase my post so harshly ,

Kids yeah might find it hard to get all they need from a vegetarian diet, you do need to put a little bit of thought into it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Lilyblue

Meat doesn't "make me who I am" but I do love it and couldn't be without it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

No meat, No eat

Simple as that.

When going for dinner at a vegetarian's house, be sure to make them aware of your special dietary requirements that you will not eat a meatless meal...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

Couldnt live without me quarter pounder and cheese - how much meat is in it is debatable.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Nature Boy

Been veggie for around 3 years.
    Humans need certain proteins from meat for proper development, whether vegetarians/vegans want to believe it or not. It also helps with brain development.

Fancy backing that up? Or did you just make it up yourself? EDIT: Sorry I see your link above!
    If we weren't meant to eat meat, we would not have evolved as omnivores, we would've evolved as vegetarians.

You obviously don't understand evolution. A more likely reason is that we started evolving towards becoming omnivores because it benefitted is at some point (e.g. it could have been out of necessity). What reasons do we have for eating meat now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

the only meat that i really like would be steak

everything else i could live without easily. id have steak maybe 5 times a year. i dont like the idea of vegetarianism if its based on absolutely anything other than simply not really liking meat

Nature Boy wrote: »
    Been veggie for around 3 years.

Fancy backing that up? Or did you just make it up yourself?

You obviously don't understand evolution. A more likely reason is that we started evolving towards becoming omnivores because it benefitted is at some point (e.g. it could have been out of necessity). What reasons do we have for eating meat now?

In this country? There probably isn't one.

But in other less developed countries, it is a lot harder to get the required mass amount of "alternative" vegetables to make up the loss of meat in your diet. It is still very much of importance on a global scale in this particular stage in our evolutionary growth.

As for the meat proteins thing, google it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

read my sig

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Thinking about it, if i found a dead baby / foteus in the fridge, i might consider giving it up.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭b12mearse

I'm planning on becoming a raw vegan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

i forgot i changed it no i eat meat i thin to deny my self meet is ethically incorrect...

I eat meet i like eating meet its good for you :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

No meat, No eat

Simple as that.

When going for dinner at a vegetarian's house, be sure to make them aware of your special dietary requirements that you will not eat a meatless meal...

i cook a mean steak

i would never invite people to my house for dinner and not feed them meat. that is just plain rude

actually, i am on first name terms with my local butcher

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

phasers wrote: »
    No meat = not a meal
    +1

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭slippy wicket

the very idea makes me gag.
    Anyone who has not eaten a big lump of steak extra rare hasn't lived

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭Disease Ridden

If I dont stop eating so much meat I'll end up being made out of the stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bnagrrl

I couldn't live without steak.
    Chateaubriand... NOM NOM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Been a Vegetarian for almost 10 years now, not dead yet and still not done with the "phase" as my parents like to call it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Was off meat for over 3 years once, when I went back to eating it a friend of mine put it best when he said,

"for 3 years you didn't eat a thing, now you'd pull a cow out over the ditch and eat it on the road"

I think that says it all.:)

Advertisement