Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Orbo goes on demo (sale?) .. breaks physics :-/

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

TallyRand wrote: »
    Their Facebook page seems to have grown by about 40k likes over the last few weeks, so certainly people are taken by the idea
    Optics. You can pay marketing companies who have ways of getting you extra "likes" on your facebook page. I had a former client I did web work for, a small jewellers in Dublin.
    She spoke with an online marketing company about how to use her facebook more effectively, and as a "demo" of what could be done they got her 2,000 new likes (up from a few hundred) in a week.

The kicker was that they were all people random places - many from the US - rather than actual, relevant potential customers.

I imagine this is what Steorn have done to make it appear like they're the hot thing at the moment.

The whole thing smells like a good marketer and self-promoter making paycheques for himself out of gullible VCs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

webinar2_5.jpgwebinar2_4.jpg

Taken from http://dispatchesfromthefuture.com/

The OCube can be ordered right now, and costs 1200€ plus shipping. The OPhone can be pre-ordered now, and costs 480€ plus shipping. The e-cigarette and game controller are not yet available to be ordered. The OCube and OPhone can be ordered by writing to orders@orbo.com.....
    This could mean that the moment is finally approaching where we'll get some answers as to what Steorn is really up to. If they begin accepting money for Orbo orders, then they legally owe consumers a product that lives up to its billing, or else they're guilty of fraud.

CEO Shaun McCarthy :
    Tomorrow, fifteen years after starting our little company Steorn, we finally launch our first two Orbo based products. It's been a journey for sure, we have had the **** kicked out of us on the road, but we always kept going, we always tried to have fun, and we have always tried to do the right thing.
    Fifteen years is a long time, but it's only the start. I have heard many people compare Orbo to the Model T, it’s a technology at the very start of its journey into people's lives. I believe that Orbo as it exists today is not near the Model T in terms of what it is capable of, its Christiann Huygens first combustion engine. Many people will find our first products to be too expensive and too low in function. Hey, don't buy them, they are not for you, but they will be!

More https://www.facebook.com/thebatteryisdead/

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I wonder what the micro USB connector on the controller is for.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Pizzle

Just saw the video on their facebook page. The overview of the "technology" was interesting...am I wrong in thinking that this is completely different to what they were proposing a couple of years back?

If this is a scam, what can they possibly hope to achieve from it?

I presume the controller they showed in the clip was just representative of what they want to do. Similarly, they don't seem to have an actual packaged phone yet, just mock up images to get people to pre-order.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dlouth15

12316628_10153432992848026_6856159600675978100_n.jpg?oh=8b82c9f908910b0f29374ba0525fa2ea&oe=56E81F0D

If you look at the side profile - the one in the midle - it seems to be an incredibly thick phone. I can't see people carrying around this just for the convenience of not charging it.

Possibly it contains a very large battery. This combined with a low-spec. phone would give a very long operaging time on a single charge. Maybe you throw it away after use and buy a new pre-charged one. No need for a charger.

Alternatively, it could could contain a weight that moves when the phone is carried about and this is used to generate electrictity and charge a battery. Again, no need for a charger but who wants to lug the thing around.

From this angle, the thickness of the phone is obscured:

webinar2_5.jpg

I think it will be sold to free energy believers who will be reluctant to say much after they recieve the product.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭TallyRand

Missed the live part of "webinar" although I caught some of the chat about it. Pathetic would be the one word description from me. 223 registered for it which should have told me something about it.

Bunch of scammers with BS products and talk of doing this and doing that.

I won't be investing any more time after that let down!

Pizzle wrote: »
    Just saw the video on their facebook page. The overview of the "technology" was interesting...am I wrong in thinking that this is completely different to what they were proposing a couple of years back?

AFAIK its the exact same effect, just in a solid state version.

article_12-6-15_large.jpg
    Sunday Business Post

Source

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

"the USB charger is red,skull shaped,costs e1200 and contains 2 batteries,
    one is a standard battery and one is Steorns never-die"

sounds fierce like a bit of backscatter craic - free bonus for getting microwaved to bits all the time :P

http://arxiv.org/pdf/1505.06815v1.pdf

http://iotwifi.cs.washington.edu/

wait long enough and old tricks seem brand new to some :

• Advertisement

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 140 ✭✭murphyaii

If what they say is true watch out world energy.
    Oil will be made redundant

http://steornnews.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

What they say is not true, so you've nothing to worry about.

Irish Times : Fact or fiction, Irish firm invents everlasting battery
    It is engineering based on complex physics, and yet the physicists agree it defies basic laws – there is no evidence energy is produced as opposed to being stored.
    “What we found is that we could speed up and slow down electromagnetic fields which traditionally should travel at the speed of light. When we did that we got these energy anomalies,” McCarthy says in an effort to distil the “Orbo effect” to its most basic explanation.
    “So I suppose you could take a view, which we are not qualified to make [scientifically], but if you ask our guys what we really think we are doing, we think that we are converting time into energy. Which sounds very grandiose when you see three strips of metal and two wires.”

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/fact-or-fiction-irish-firm-invents-everlasting-battery-1.2506832

proof?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

If this device worked we could use it to make cities fly. Steorn would be trillionaires. It doesn't and can't work.

murphyaii wrote: »
    proof?

Indeed. Where is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

Buy now when they're gone, they're gone.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

murphyaii wrote: »
    proof?

It's not down to MaximusAlexander to prove that it doesn't work.

It's down to the people making claims to prove that it does.

That's how science works. If you've got a theory that flies in the face of currently accepted theories, then YOU have to prove that you're right, NOT others have to prove that you're wrong.

For example, I have a theory that the black and yellow colouring of wasps causes them to be invisible to elves, hobbits and goblins.

Go ahead, prove me wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

It would be nice if they had ever actually given one of their devices to a university who had then been able to deconstruct why it had the illusion of creating free energy. That would be nice proof.

Of course, they never did that because that's exactly what would happen. This has all been going on far too long to be a simple scam - my only guess at this point is that they've gotten lost in their own cult-like zealotry and have lost perspective entirely, and constantly find ways to reassure themselves that their nonsense cube is doing the impossible.

• Advertisement

well, you can buy an orbo on pre-order from next week seemingly for 1200 yoyo's.
    They are releasing a phone with infinite battery as well.

and i don't work for them either.

Oh I didn't realise that. Now where did I put my credit card?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

The main thing to understand here is that these guys are trying to fool ordinary people and not scientists. Notice how there are no papers on their research, no independent scientific analysis, no reproducible experiments. Nothing that can be checked out by scientists. Instead we have them reaching out to Joe Public looking for his money for products that aren't quite available yet.

There's a good reason for this - Joe Public doesn't have the knowledge or intellect to distinguish science from scientific quackery. I'm not saying that Joe Public is thick, I'm just saying that he probably had no need to remember his Junior Cert science curriculum in his day-to-day life and has forgotten most of it.

The result of this lack of a scientific understanding is that it leaves Joe Public without a way to distinguish between science and stuff that sounds like science. Take the following two statements for example and ask yourself which one sounds more plausible:

"There is a particle called a neutrino and there are billions of them going through our bodies all the time but we can't feel them because they don't easily interact with other matter particles".

or

"Water has a memory of everything it has ever come into contact with. If you add a grain of sugar to a glass of water, dilute it with 100 parts pure water and do this 100 times until there is no sugar molecule left, the water still retains a memory of the sugar".

To Joe Public, both of these "facts" can look equally plausible even though we know that one of them is bullshít.

To give another example, what if you couldn't start your car in the morning and you called the garage and they tell you one of two things.

"It sounds like a faulty flux-capacitor".

or

"It sounds like a faulty alternator".

If you knew nothing about cars and hadn't seen Back to the Future, both of these responses would sound equally plausible. If I don't know what flux capacitors and alternators are, how can I tell them apart? On the other hand, if I was a mechanic or someone who worked with cars, I would know which response was bullshít.

The point that I'm trying to make here is that Joe Public is not properly equipped to tell the difference between something scientific and something that sounds sciencey.

It's for this reason that Steorn are targeting Joe Public instead of independent scientists. Joe Public is easily fooled but scientists are not.

On a side note, Joe Public could read up on entropy, thermodynamics, perpetual motion machines and classical mechanics. By doing so, he wouldn't be so easily fooled by pseudo-science. Unfortunately, for Joe Public, science is hard and "aint nobody got time fo dat".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭JTMan

The video in the Irish Times article is interesting, you get to see the scale of their office and the units they are about to ship out.

One hopes that shipping really starts soon and we get to see consumer reviews of this product quickly thereafter.

Also, it seems that units are back on sale again.

If this ends up being genuine, we are on the cusp of something huge.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

If they're converting time into energy they must have enough to power the planet at this stage given they've been at this for the better part of a decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Still not convinced .

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Pizzle

In the interview he was trying to stay well away from the claims that it was a perpetual motion machine. But if you connect a DC motor up to it, that's exactly what it becomes.

They're making massive claims without any proof. I love the line about them converting time to energy...and the throw away comment about not understanding gravity either!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭TallyRand

This is not a scam to get people to buy the "O-Cube" or the everlasting phone, that would be fraud so what they're going to do is give a cock-n-bull story about a delay in shipping or reworking the devices or even they have only shipped a small amount blah blah blah

The scam is to attract more investors, why would they run off with 50k or 60k of joe punters money from these orders and commit fraud when they have already had €23 million of investors money! They can probably get another couple of million handy from the gullible and the greedy.

All they have to do is show the investors the level of interest in their two products and say they have pre-orders of tens of thousands so quick GIVE US MONEY!!!

Advertisement