Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Round bale silage costs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,202 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Would the opportunity cost on silage be if you have your silage ground taken up from March til August for 2 cuts, you could rear more stock on that land if you hadn't silage taken up compared to buying in silage?

I stocked at 170 kgs of N/ HA so I cannot carry any more stock unless I enter a derogation. If I enter a derogation I lose my GLAS. The derogation itself costs 200 euro. Been down the that road it has other disadvantages as well.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

I stocked at 170 kgs of N/ HA so I cannot carry any more stock unless I enter a derogation. If I enter a derogation I lose my GLAS. The derogation itself costs 200 euro. Been down the that road it has other disadvantages as well.

But do you see my point in theory, rear a lot of stock on Silage land during the summer

But do you see my point in theory, rear a lot of stock on Silage land during the summer

In theory it sounds good there is a few issues however.

First you have to source decent silage a lot of silage sold will just be bulk. Land that is not fertlilized adequately this effects cutting date, quality and there can be a lot of weeds in it. I wouldn't claim to be making top quality silage but only once in the last 10 years have I bought silage as good or better than my own.

Next is in a year where silage is scarce you will pay above feed value for silage if you can get it. Take two years ago with drought nobody was selling silage. In September I heard prices of 32-35/bake out of the yard. Add transport at 5+/ bale if travelling a distance and with middling DM silage you have an expensive feed. You then end up messing with straights or beet with the added cost and hassle.

Finally you have the hassle of sourcing and getting it delivered you probably. End up hauling a lot of it yourself. I use about 220 bales of high DM silage this year. It unlikely that I get similar for sale if they were lower DM I have to source and get delivered 300ish bales. That 21 loads to a lad delivering 14 at a time. Best case scenario would be less than two hour going, loading, returning and unloading. Maybe 3 loads ever two weeks. In theory you might source it at cutting time but. Unlikly you source it all that way.

It totally different to sourcing a few loads when stuck at the end of the year. Over the years I have found that the price of the silage is inversely proportionally to the price paid. Last year I got 50 bales delivered at 24/vale.4-4 years ago the year of the late spring I paid 40+5delivery for fairly poor quality silage but I only bough enough to provide roughage as I fed 2-2kgs od ration with it

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭emaherx

The missed opertuinity cost is complete BS.
    Should it include the missed opportunities of selling the land?
    Or the fact that I could make much more money putting in extra hours in my day job than I will farming?

Money is not everything and I enjoy farming the way that I do, but these potential missed opportunities would leave me working doing something that I'm less happy doing (nothing wrong with my day job and its very flexible). I'm much happier out doing as much of the farm work that I can myself. There is also a massive risk in buying in silage bales compared to the silage that you've over seen every part of its making.

More cattle would require more labour in handling and increase costs in other area's including enviromental. It is funny that this thread reappeared as my accountant just commented yesterday on how very low my feed costs are. The extensive low input model keeps me out of trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

First you have to source decent silage a lot of silage sold will just be bulk. Land that is not fertlilized adequately this effects cutting date, quality and there can be a lot of weeds in it. I wouldn't claim to be making top quality silage but only once in the last 10 years have I bought silage as good or better than my own.

Next is in a year where silage is scarce you will pay above feed value for silage if you can get it. Take two years ago with drought nobody was selling silage. In September I heard prices of 32-35/bake out of the yard. Add transport at 5+/ bale if travelling a distance and with middling DM silage you have an expensive feed. You then end up messing with straights or beet with the added cost and hassle.

Finally you have the hassle of sourcing and getting it delivered you probably. End up hauling a lot of it yourself. I use about 220 bales of high DM silage this year. It unlikely that I get similar for sale if they were lower DM I have to source and get delivered 300ish bales. That 21 loads to a lad delivering 14 at a time. Best case scenario would be less than two hour going, loading, returning and unloading. Maybe 3 loads ever two weeks. In theory you might source it at cutting time but. Unlikly you source it all that way.

It totally different to sourcing a few loads when stuck at the end of the year. Over the years I have found that the price of the silage is inversely proportionally to the price paid. Last year I got 50 bales delivered at 24/vale.4-4 years ago the year of the late spring I paid 40+5delivery for fairly poor quality silage but I only bough enough to provide roughage as I fed 2-2kgs od ration with it

Would roots / maize / wholecrop be better to Charolais than buying silage?

Just to add say a friend in a fodder shortage give a small amount of silage (as roughage) with meal
    Said the cost of extra silage was too dear
    His cattle did quite well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭curiousinvestor

I'd have to disagree on the missed opportunity thing, a little at least
    I missed the opportunity to build a shed (I got distracted by a shower of con men) this summer and my darling wife took the opportunity to buy a car !! 😭😭

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Welding Rod

Cost of a bale is one of those questions, where if you ask a hundred farmers, you get about five hundred different answers. Just like asking how much it costs to keep a suckler cow!
    I have now concluded, that there is no answer to either equation. Well that’s if you exclude “too much”, as the best answer in both cases!

I'm not being flippant here but, it costs the same to make a good bale as it does to make a bad bale.
    I have a reasonably priced contractor, that comes when he says he will and has never left me in a lurch.
    So I try to focus more on fertilizer, timing of cutting, wilting and getting the bales n d yard asap.
    I make 800/ yr.
    I know of only one fella selling bales that I'd be happy to buy from

• Registered Users Posts: 24,370 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

I'd have to disagree on the missed opportunity thing, a little at least
    I missed the opportunity to build a shed (I got distracted by a shower of con men) this summer and my darling wife took the opportunity to buy a car !! 😭😭

The horror

• Registered Users Posts: 21,143 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Won't fit many cattle or silage bales into the car!!!

• Advertisement

Water John wrote: »
    I'm not sure I'll ever get over it. Lesson learned though, never again will I get caught with a ball of cash like that again!!!

I've seen videos that prove you can a few anyways :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

I'm not sure I'll ever get over it. Lesson learned though, never again will I get caught with a ball of cash like that again!!!

You can’t be farming too long to say you had a ball of cash at all? ;)

But all joking aside, on the opportunity cost thing, that ball of cash is simply no longer there for my shed. But I'd agree, mostly , with the comments that it is a crock of sh1t3, though as any kind of analysis tool

Investor, you remind me of the fella whose wife decided to go for a divorce. She didn't know exactly all the assets the man had and he was furiously cashing them for IOUs to all his friends at a discount.

You can’t be farming too long to say you had a ball of cash at all? ;)

Lol.
    Well they never seem to last very long anyways around here !!

Investor, you remind me of the fella whose wife decided to go for a divorce. She didn't know exactly all the assets the man had and he was furiously cashing them for IOUs to all his friends at a discount.

I think I must be related to him !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭lalababa

emaherx wrote: »
    The missed opertuinity cost is complete BS.
    Should it include the missed opportunities of selling the land?
    Or the fact that I could make much more money putting in extra hours in my day job than I will farming?

Money is not everything and I enjoy farming the way that I do, but these potential missed opportunities would leave me working doing something that I'm less happy doing (nothing wrong with my day job and its very flexible). I'm much happier out doing as much of the farm work that I can myself. There is also a massive risk in buying in silage bales compared to the silage that you've over seen every part of its making.

More cattle would require more labour in handling and increase costs in other area's including enviromental. It is funny that this thread reappeared as my accountant just commented yesterday on how very low my feed costs are. The extensive low input model keeps me out of trouble.

Missed opertuinity is only applicable if you're selling the bales I'd say.
    If you don't bale an acre and lease it for c. 150/acre/season. Or sell a cut for 60/70 . If you bale..10/acre for 20euro in yard and sell for 25. Then you make 50euro.
    I've been saying for years that buying bales was a no brainer. But 100's of years of "we have to have our own fodder" is engrained.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭emaherx

lalababa wrote: »
    Missed opertuinity is only applicable if you're selling the bales I'd say.
    If you don't bale an acre and lease it for c. 150/acre/season. Or sell a cut for 60/70 . If you bale..10/acre for 20euro in yard and sell for 25. Then you make 50euro.
    I've been saying for years that buying bales was a no brainer. But 100's of years of "we have to have our own fodder" is engrained.

If everyone followed that logic, then there would be no fodder. And in a fodder shortage we've all seen how quickly the prices can change.

I'd still far rather bale my own than buy lucky bags. And since I've 0 contactors fees in making my own I'm still failing to see the lost opportunity.

Leasing out at 150 to someone who mines your land of all nutrients returns nothing and moves on could be fairly costly too. The more angles I look at it most of these missed opportunities just create a different cost somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Dunedin

lalababa wrote: »

I’ve being buying 80-100 off my contractor for the past few years. It is a field that was reseeded so I’ve had it since it was reseeded. I tell him when to cut it which is usually mid May weather pending around that time so it’s top quality. Delivered and stacked in my yard for €25 - I couldn’t do it for that never mind the hardship of drawing in 100 bales.

Complete no brainer as far as I’m concerned but most probably wouldn’t get an opportunity like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Any amount of Sialge around here for 10euro a bale and bale it yourself, make it as dry as you like, perfect for suckler cows,

Buy silage in summer no point buying silage in spring, mugs game

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭memorystick

What’s the minimum amount of cattle recommend for a pit? I’ve 60 stores getting bales. I’d 100 last winter but BEAM. Should I stick to bales if consistently keeping 70-80 cattle for the winter? Thanks. Sick of bales but have zero concrete so would have to put down a slab.

What’s the minimum amount of cattle recommend for a pit? I’ve 60 stores getting bales. I’d 100 last winter but BEAM. Should I stick to bales if consistently keeping 70-80 cattle for the winter? Thanks. Sick of bales but have zero concrete so would have to put down a slab.

Bale silage is cheaper than pit silage to make at present. Thats even before your Allie for price for slab

Slava Ukrainii

What's that 3 bales a day? Have the right equipment to handle them. Hard core base should do. A good contractor is essential if using one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Grueller

Bale silage is cheaper than pit silage to make at present. Thats even before your Allie for price for slab

8 bales/ac is break even here.

Plus practically no waste

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Dunedin wrote: »
    I’ve being buying 80-100 off my contractor for the past few years. It is a field that was reseeded so I’ve had it since it was reseeded. I tell him when to cut it which is usually mid May weather pending around that time so it’s top quality. Delivered and stacked in my yard for €25 - I couldn’t do it for that never mind the hardship of drawing in 100 bales.

Complete no brainer as far as I’m concerned but most probably wouldn’t get an opportunity like that.

That’s great value my contractor charged me 16.50 a bale last year to bale, wrap short draw and stack my own silage and there was mowing on top of that.

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    That’s great value my contractor charged me 16.50 a bale last year to bale, wrap short draw and stack my own silage and there was mowing on top of that.

Contractor charges 10/ bale to mow, take bake and wrap. I provide plastic and additive. He uses one of the new balers which has the bake count dropped by 2 bales per acre. As I let it will fit 2-3 days depending on weather a bale would last 32-35 stores 400 kg a day.

Slava Ukrainii

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭keepalive213

9 euro a bale here to mow, bale and wrap... farmer supplies plastic.
    Plus around a fiver for fertilizer works out over 18 euro
    It's still better than buying lucky bags.

• Advertisement

Contractor charges 10/ bale to mow, take bake and wrap. I provide plastic and additive. He uses one of the new balers which has the bake count dropped by 2 bales per acre. As I let it will fit 2-3 days depending on weather a bale would last 32-35 stores 400 kg a day.

Mow bale and wrap incl plastic is €10 here. €10 extra an acre to rake

Advertisement