Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Round bale silage costs

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

In theory it sounds good there is a few issues however.

First you have to source decent silage a lot of silage sold will just be bulk. Land that is not fertlilized adequately this effects cutting date, quality and there can be a lot of weeds in it. I wouldn't claim to be making top quality silage but only once in the last 10 years have I bought silage as good or better than my own.

Next is in a year where silage is scarce you will pay above feed value for silage if you can get it. Take two years ago with drought nobody was selling silage. In September I heard prices of 32-35/bake out of the yard. Add transport at 5+/ bale if travelling a distance and with middling DM silage you have an expensive feed. You then end up messing with straights or beet with the added cost and hassle.

Finally you have the hassle of sourcing and getting it delivered you probably. End up hauling a lot of it yourself. I use about 220 bales of high DM silage this year. It unlikely that I get similar for sale if they were lower DM I have to source and get delivered 300ish bales. That 21 loads to a lad delivering 14 at a time. Best case scenario would be less than two hour going, loading, returning and unloading. Maybe 3 loads ever two weeks. In theory you might source it at cutting time but. Unlikly you source it all that way.

It totally different to sourcing a few loads when stuck at the end of the year. Over the years I have found that the price of the silage is inversely proportionally to the price paid. Last year I got 50 bales delivered at 24/vale.4-4 years ago the year of the late spring I paid 40+5delivery for fairly poor quality silage but I only bough enough to provide roughage as I fed 2-2kgs od ration with it

Any amount of Sialge around here for 10euro a bale and bale it yourself, make it as dry as you like, perfect for suckler cows,

Buy silage in summer no point buying silage in spring, mugs game

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭memorystick

What’s the minimum amount of cattle recommend for a pit? I’ve 60 stores getting bales. I’d 100 last winter but BEAM. Should I stick to bales if consistently keeping 70-80 cattle for the winter? Thanks. Sick of bales but have zero concrete so would have to put down a slab.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,976 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

What’s the minimum amount of cattle recommend for a pit? I’ve 60 stores getting bales. I’d 100 last winter but BEAM. Should I stick to bales if consistently keeping 70-80 cattle for the winter? Thanks. Sick of bales but have zero concrete so would have to put down a slab.

Bale silage is cheaper than pit silage to make at present. Thats even before your Allie for price for slab

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

What's that 3 bales a day? Have the right equipment to handle them. Hard core base should do. A good contractor is essential if using one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Grueller

Bale silage is cheaper than pit silage to make at present. Thats even before your Allie for price for slab

8 bales/ac is break even here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,483 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Plus practically no waste

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Dunedin wrote: »
    I’ve being buying 80-100 off my contractor for the past few years. It is a field that was reseeded so I’ve had it since it was reseeded. I tell him when to cut it which is usually mid May weather pending around that time so it’s top quality. Delivered and stacked in my yard for €25 - I couldn’t do it for that never mind the hardship of drawing in 100 bales.

Complete no brainer as far as I’m concerned but most probably wouldn’t get an opportunity like that.

That’s great value my contractor charged me 16.50 a bale last year to bale, wrap short draw and stack my own silage and there was mowing on top of that.

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    That’s great value my contractor charged me 16.50 a bale last year to bale, wrap short draw and stack my own silage and there was mowing on top of that.

Contractor charges 10/ bale to mow, take bake and wrap. I provide plastic and additive. He uses one of the new balers which has the bake count dropped by 2 bales per acre. As I let it will fit 2-3 days depending on weather a bale would last 32-35 stores 400 kg a day.

Slava Ukrainii

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭keepalive213

9 euro a bale here to mow, bale and wrap... farmer supplies plastic.
    Plus around a fiver for fertilizer works out over 18 euro
    It's still better than buying lucky bags.

• Advertisement

Contractor charges 10/ bale to mow, take bake and wrap. I provide plastic and additive. He uses one of the new balers which has the bake count dropped by 2 bales per acre. As I let it will fit 2-3 days depending on weather a bale would last 32-35 stores 400 kg a day.

Mow bale and wrap incl plastic is €10 here. €10 extra an acre to rake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Reggie. wrote: »

My contractor charges €12 just to bale and wrap with a fusion incl wrap, he’s charging that the last 3 years.

My contractor charges €12 just to bale and wrap with a fusion incl wrap, he’s charging that the last 3 years.

Money being made there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Same here, raking incl at that 10er

Same here, raking incl at that 10er

Good value there

My man is €6 for bale, wrap and stack. Bales are wrapped in the yard. I mow, ted, rake and draw myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

That's dear.
    €12.50 to mow, rake and bale inc wrap with a fusion here. €10.50 without mowing.
    There is another contractor in the area who is fifty cent a bale less and does nothing else only the baling job but it's harder to get him exactly when you want the job done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭50HX

7 euro to rake and bale

Buy my own plastic, 60ep/hr to draw with an 8 pack for first&2nd cut

Add just over 1e to the bale but dropped in the yard stack myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭893bet

Outside of our bales often poor.

Would an extra wrap make a big difference.

7.50 for silage bale and wrap
    6 for hay, bale only

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭50HX

Is the bale well packed when made,

I think alot of people overlook the drawing of bales as well and ghe amount of handling required, extra wrap needed imo if bales are drawn with a bale trailer or being kept til following year

I see young lads on tbe road with double handler on the back and flying about, alot of pressure on the plastic in 2 points

I switched to 8 pack due to time constraints and twas the best thing i did.
    Woukd consider it money well spent once draw is near

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭josephsoap

Contractor here charges €10 per bale - this includes mowing, raking, baling and wrapping.

Farmer supplies wrap and draws in the bales.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Dunedin

josephsoap wrote: »
    Contractor here charges €10 per bale - this includes mowing, raking, baling and wrapping.

Exact same here.

Only about a euro in the difference

That a good price even if it with a 'dini. You probably chance the embarrassment and let the contractor priced at that in. 😂😂

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Country life

Cut silage with the big M this year.cut on the flat.cuts out tedding I find.. rake€10/arc. Baling €10.plastic not supplied . Just wrote out a cheque for 600 bales😡

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Cut silage with the big M this year.cut on the flat.cuts out tedding I find.. rake€10/arc. Baling €10.plastic not supplied . Just wrote out a cheque for 600 bales😡

Ger your own baler ....daft payin that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Dunedin

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    Ger your own baler ....daft payin that.

Serious amount of work yourself to make 600 bales. Firstly you’d need mower, Tedder/rake, baler/wrapper/combi and a second tractor if not a third to draw in and people to drive them. You couldn’t face into drawing in after baling. Help is near non-existent unlike years ago and lastly you’d pretty much have to be a full timer not possible to manage all of that if working off farm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Dunedin wrote: »
    Serious amount of work yourself to make 600 bales. Firstly you’d need mower, Tedder/rake, baler/wrapper/combi and a second tractor if not a third to draw in and people to drive them. You couldn’t face into drawing in after baling. Help is near non-existent unlike years ago and lastly you’d pretty much have to be a full timer not possible to manage all of that if working off farm.
    I know lads with their own balers that spend the summer baling especially at weekends. Then the slurry doesn’t be put out till a few weeks after the silage is cut. They are usually on their second cut when I have grass growing after a third cut. Saying that I am probably no better off than them after paying a contractor for everything.

That a good price even if it with a 'dini. You probably chance the embarrassment and let the contractor priced at that in. 😂😂

You bugger off back to your cave :D

Baling and wrapping €10?

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭FeelTheBern

My contractor seems to be a good bit dearer than the prices quoted here - although hard to compare with the different pricing options. If I’m making it up correctly, at around 8 bales per acre it would be working out around €11.50/ bale to include - mow €25/acre, rake €10/acre, bale €7.50 acre without wrap. Obviously more per bale for less bales to acre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Jb1989

My contractor seems to be a good bit dearer than the prices quoted here - although hard to compare with the different pricing options. If I’m making it up correctly, at around 8 bales per acre it would be working out around €11.50/ bale to include - mow €25/acre, rake €10/acre, bale €7.50 acre without wrap. Obviously more per bale for less bales to acre.

Does the 7.50 include the wrapper?

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭FeelTheBern

Jb1989 wrote: »
    Does the 7.50 include the wrapper?

Sorry - yes €7.50 bale and wrap with fusion baler - farmer supplies plastic

You bugger off back to your cave :D

A fella with a Class would be getting a euro a bale more........I hate to be paying a Massey contractor

Slava Ukrainii

A fella with a Class would be getting a euro a bale more........I hate to be paying a Massey contractor

Where are them bloody mods when ya need them......... asleep at the wheel again or playing with the hamsters????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭alps

Where are them bloody mods when ya need them......... asleep at the wheel again or playing with the hamsters????

I see in other news that the Sherrif is most likely out at the local shebeen🥳🥳

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭roosterman71

I've a nice 20 acre field (well 20.03 according to the maps), but we'll go with 20.
    • Slurry - 30 loads (2k gal tank) @45/hr (total 16 hours €720)
    • Fertiliser - none (I'm tight)
    • Mowing - €20/acre €400
    • Raking - €10 acre €200

Total to date for 20 acres - €1320
    In 2020, this field was cut twice, so double the 1320 - €2640

Baling + Wrapping - €6.50/bale
    Plastic ~ €2/bale

Field yielded 371 bales between 2 cuts.
    371 x (6.50 + 2) = €3153.50

Total costs to get bales in the field is €4473.5. Or €12.05 per bale.

Bales sold. Any taken from the field by the buyer are €22, or delivered is €26.

All equipment above (apart from baler and wrapper) are my own. And the above prices are what I charge others, and therefore charge myself too. That covers my wage and machinery costs.

Think everything is costed there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

my cost per bale is

€6.00 land cost per bale (€200/ 33 bales )
    €2.60 Fert & slurry costs over 4 cuts

€0.65 bale net (2.00 rotations of net)
    €2.00 silage wrap (16 wrap)
    €1.40 2.25 litres MGO (mow ted rake, bale , wrap and stack) around yard
    €0.25 consumables (Baler oil , grease, mower blades, tines ) etc

at a very basic price its costing me €12.90 a bale without taking into account machinery wear and tear or labour.

if im doing a bit of evening baling its
    Mow €20, Ted /Rake €10 , Bale hay/unchopped silage €4.25 , Silage chopped €5 and wrap €2.50

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭French Toast

Mow, bale, wrap for €10 including VAT. Farmer supplies plastic.

If you were doing it for much less than that you'd have slim enough profits left after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Jd310

I charge €10 a bale which includes raking,baling,wrapping with plastic supplied. Then €20/acre mowing on top of that.

• Advertisement

Jd310 wrote: »
    I charge €10 a bale which includes raking,baling,wrapping with plastic supplied. Then €20/acre mowing on top of that.

Thinking out loud here at 8 bales per acre
    Fert at €60 /ac is €7.50 per bale
    Drawing in and stacking at €2 per bale
    Mowing at €20 per acre is €2.50
    Tedding about €1.50

That is €23.50 and nothing costed over the top at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Jd310

Grueller wrote: »
    Thinking out loud here at 8 bales per acre
    Fert at €60 /ac is €7.50 per bale
    Drawing in and stacking at €2 per bale
    Mowing at €20 per acre is €2.50
    Tedding about €1.50

That is €23.50 and nothing costed over the top at all.

Would that leave me dear or cheap for bailing

Jd310 wrote: »
    Would that leave me dear or cheap for bailing

My man is €6 but that doesn't include raking or plastic. Put plastic at €2 and raking at €1.50 and he is €9.50 so I'd say you are not too bad to be fair.

Roll of plastic does about 30 bales. Can you get a roll for €60?

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭French Toast

Water John wrote: »
    Roll of plastic does about 30 bales. Can you get a roll for €60?

It has been closer to €75-85 for the past few years iirc.

That's what I've been paying for it, so maybe better to buy and not have the roll 'too stretched'.
    Contractors may be passing on any bulk discount is another explanation.

• Advertisement

That's what I've been paying for it, so maybe better to buy and not have the roll 'too stretched'.

I generally buy all my plastic together. I try to get Silawrap as it quality is more dependable than some other makes. Buying 10 rolls it was 78/roll this year. The other brands were 76/roll. That was for payment on the day. Lad is a contractor near me and he buy two pallets at the start of he year and 1-2 more later in the year he makes 7-800 bales himself. He paid the same as he was getting 3-4 months crefit.

AFAIK if you can go to the north to buy it it can be got for6-8/ roll( no recycling levy) less. Where the real saving in the north is if you can buy it without the VAT added on. However you would not want to be audited

Slava Ukrainii

I generally buy all my plastic together. I try to get Silawrap as it quality is more dependable than some other makes. Buying 10 rolls it was 78/roll this year. The other brands were 76/roll. That was for payment on the day. Lad is a contractor near me and he buy two pallets at the start of he year and 1-2 more later in the year he makes 7-800 bales himself. He paid the same as he was getting 3-4 months crefit.

AFAIK if you can go to the north to buy it it can be got for6-8/ roll( no recycling levy) less. Where the real saving in the north is if you can buy it without the VAT added on. However you would not want to be audited

Wait till it get tackled as a single use plastic and is taxed to the high heavens. I can't see it not happening. Single and double chops be pulled out of the sceachs everywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

Im buying it in the north for €59 a roll for silawrap

No big discount on bulk buys down south unless your buying a container load

Grueller wrote: »
    Wait till it get tackled as a single use plastic and is taxed to the high heavens. I can't see it not happening. Single and double chops be pulled out of the sceachs everywhere.

Most industrial taxes are in the form of carbon taxes. Single use plastic taxes will be applied directly to consumers to force industry to change packaging types. Single use plastic if applied to farming would also effect ration and fertilizer and maybe at a higher cost. I can see carbon taxes increase plastic costs over the next10-20 however I cannot see a single use plastic tax dramatically causing a change in silage plastic usages

Slava Ukrainii

Whilst the wrap is made from virgin plastic, don't think it would be marked as single use. AFAIK and has a thread of its own, Stokbord is made from it. It's a thermoplastic (recyclable) as opposed to polystyrene which would be thermosetting (non recyclable) and thus cannot be recycled.

• Advertisement
Advertisement