Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Round bale silage costs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Reggie. wrote: »
    Mow bale and wrap incl plastic is €10 here. €10 extra an acre to rake

My contractor charges €12 just to bale and wrap with a fusion incl wrap, he’s charging that the last 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    My contractor charges €12 just to bale and wrap with a fusion incl wrap, he’s charging that the last 3 years.

Money being made there

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Same here, raking incl at that 10er

Same here, raking incl at that 10er

Good value there

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭Grueller

My man is €6 for bale, wrap and stack. Bales are wrapped in the yard. I mow, ted, rake and draw myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,229 ✭✭✭tanko

Dakota Dan wrote: »

That's dear.
    €12.50 to mow, rake and bale inc wrap with a fusion here. €10.50 without mowing.
    There is another contractor in the area who is fifty cent a bale less and does nothing else only the baling job but it's harder to get him exactly when you want the job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭50HX

7 euro to rake and bale

Buy my own plastic, 60ep/hr to draw with an 8 pack for first&2nd cut

Add just over 1e to the bale but dropped in the yard stack myself

• Registered Users Posts: 8,820 ✭✭✭893bet

Outside of our bales often poor.

Would an extra wrap make a big difference.

7.50 for silage bale and wrap
    6 for hay, bale only

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭50HX

Is the bale well packed when made,

I think alot of people overlook the drawing of bales as well and ghe amount of handling required, extra wrap needed imo if bales are drawn with a bale trailer or being kept til following year

I see young lads on tbe road with double handler on the back and flying about, alot of pressure on the plastic in 2 points

I switched to 8 pack due to time constraints and twas the best thing i did.
    Woukd consider it money well spent once draw is near

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭josephsoap

Contractor here charges €10 per bale - this includes mowing, raking, baling and wrapping.

Farmer supplies wrap and draws in the bales.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Dunedin

josephsoap wrote: »
    Contractor here charges €10 per bale - this includes mowing, raking, baling and wrapping.

Exact same here.

Only about a euro in the difference

• Registered Users Posts: 18,247 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

That a good price even if it with a 'dini. You probably chance the embarrassment and let the contractor priced at that in. 😂😂

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Country life

Cut silage with the big M this year.cut on the flat.cuts out tedding I find.. rake€10/arc. Baling €10.plastic not supplied . Just wrote out a cheque for 600 bales😡

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Cut silage with the big M this year.cut on the flat.cuts out tedding I find.. rake€10/arc. Baling €10.plastic not supplied . Just wrote out a cheque for 600 bales😡

Ger your own baler ....daft payin that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Dunedin

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    Ger your own baler ....daft payin that.

Serious amount of work yourself to make 600 bales. Firstly you’d need mower, Tedder/rake, baler/wrapper/combi and a second tractor if not a third to draw in and people to drive them. You couldn’t face into drawing in after baling. Help is near non-existent unlike years ago and lastly you’d pretty much have to be a full timer not possible to manage all of that if working off farm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Dunedin wrote: »
    Serious amount of work yourself to make 600 bales. Firstly you’d need mower, Tedder/rake, baler/wrapper/combi and a second tractor if not a third to draw in and people to drive them. You couldn’t face into drawing in after baling. Help is near non-existent unlike years ago and lastly you’d pretty much have to be a full timer not possible to manage all of that if working off farm.
    I know lads with their own balers that spend the summer baling especially at weekends. Then the slurry doesn’t be put out till a few weeks after the silage is cut. They are usually on their second cut when I have grass growing after a third cut. Saying that I am probably no better off than them after paying a contractor for everything.

That a good price even if it with a 'dini. You probably chance the embarrassment and let the contractor priced at that in. 😂😂

You bugger off back to your cave :D

Baling and wrapping €10?

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭FeelTheBern

My contractor seems to be a good bit dearer than the prices quoted here - although hard to compare with the different pricing options. If I’m making it up correctly, at around 8 bales per acre it would be working out around €11.50/ bale to include - mow €25/acre, rake €10/acre, bale €7.50 acre without wrap. Obviously more per bale for less bales to acre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Jb1989

My contractor seems to be a good bit dearer than the prices quoted here - although hard to compare with the different pricing options. If I’m making it up correctly, at around 8 bales per acre it would be working out around €11.50/ bale to include - mow €25/acre, rake €10/acre, bale €7.50 acre without wrap. Obviously more per bale for less bales to acre.

Does the 7.50 include the wrapper?

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭FeelTheBern

Jb1989 wrote: »
    Does the 7.50 include the wrapper?

Sorry - yes €7.50 bale and wrap with fusion baler - farmer supplies plastic

• Registered Users Posts: 18,247 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

You bugger off back to your cave :D

A fella with a Class would be getting a euro a bale more........I hate to be paying a Massey contractor

Slava Ukrainii

A fella with a Class would be getting a euro a bale more........I hate to be paying a Massey contractor

Where are them bloody mods when ya need them......... asleep at the wheel again or playing with the hamsters????

• Registered Users Posts: 4,947 ✭✭✭alps

Where are them bloody mods when ya need them......... asleep at the wheel again or playing with the hamsters????

I see in other news that the Sherrif is most likely out at the local shebeen🥳🥳

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭roosterman71

I've a nice 20 acre field (well 20.03 according to the maps), but we'll go with 20.
    • Slurry - 30 loads (2k gal tank) @45/hr (total 16 hours €720)
    • Fertiliser - none (I'm tight)
    • Mowing - €20/acre €400
    • Raking - €10 acre €200

Total to date for 20 acres - €1320
    In 2020, this field was cut twice, so double the 1320 - €2640

Baling + Wrapping - €6.50/bale
    Plastic ~ €2/bale

Field yielded 371 bales between 2 cuts.
    371 x (6.50 + 2) = €3153.50

Total costs to get bales in the field is €4473.5. Or €12.05 per bale.

Bales sold. Any taken from the field by the buyer are €22, or delivered is €26.

All equipment above (apart from baler and wrapper) are my own. And the above prices are what I charge others, and therefore charge myself too. That covers my wage and machinery costs.

Think everything is costed there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

my cost per bale is

€6.00 land cost per bale (€200/ 33 bales )
    €2.60 Fert & slurry costs over 4 cuts

€0.65 bale net (2.00 rotations of net)
    €2.00 silage wrap (16 wrap)
    €1.40 2.25 litres MGO (mow ted rake, bale , wrap and stack) around yard
    €0.25 consumables (Baler oil , grease, mower blades, tines ) etc

at a very basic price its costing me €12.90 a bale without taking into account machinery wear and tear or labour.

if im doing a bit of evening baling its
    Mow €20, Ted /Rake €10 , Bale hay/unchopped silage €4.25 , Silage chopped €5 and wrap €2.50

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭French Toast

Mow, bale, wrap for €10 including VAT. Farmer supplies plastic.

If you were doing it for much less than that you'd have slim enough profits left after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Jd310

I charge €10 a bale which includes raking,baling,wrapping with plastic supplied. Then €20/acre mowing on top of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭Grueller

Jd310 wrote: »
    I charge €10 a bale which includes raking,baling,wrapping with plastic supplied. Then €20/acre mowing on top of that.

Thinking out loud here at 8 bales per acre
    Fert at €60 /ac is €7.50 per bale
    Drawing in and stacking at €2 per bale
    Mowing at €20 per acre is €2.50
    Tedding about €1.50

That is €23.50 and nothing costed over the top at all.

Advertisement