Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wild Mountain Thyme - Jamie Dornan & Emily Blunt

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    If it gets a cinema release here I can see it breaking box office records :p nearly on 10 pages for thread so far and all over the media

If the cinemas reopen, there’ll be covid clusters due to the popularity of this film!
    I can’t wait to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,827 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

joe40 wrote: »
    I don't think actors should change their accents at all in movies. Just act. The TV show chernobyl was one of the most gripping dramas I have seen, it would have been ruined by everyone trying to do Russian accents.

I would have watched it as a Russian production with Russian actors in Russian subtitled but it would end up as an even bigger work of fiction. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,587 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I would have watched it as a Russian production with Russian actors in Russian subtitled but it would end up as an even bigger work of fiction. :D

It would be pretty boring watching a show about a minor 3.64 Roentgen leak in a reactor and just watching workers run round all day not finding graphite anywhere

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

breezy1985 wrote: »
    It would be pretty boring watching a show about a minor 3.64 Roentgen leak in a reactor and just watching workers run round all day not finding graphite anywhere
    It'd be not great, not terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

sky88 wrote: »
    as ridiculous as the accents are i prob wouldn't do a better one if i tried another irish accent
    Sure, and I can't sing any better than Bono, but only one of us is doing a job where competence in it is expected. A multimillion euro production can afford a damned dialect coach.

• Advertisement

mikhail wrote: »
    Sure, and I can't sing any better than Bono, but only one of us is doing a job where competence in it is expected. A multimillion euro production can afford a damned dialect coach.

Never mind the singing non of us will ever be able to match Bono for talkin b******s

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

There's a guy on YouTube who is a professional dialogue coach and he did these videos breaking down famous actors doing accents and he got to Brad Pitt in Snatch and started talking about how it was a Northern Irish accent. So, if that's the standard of coach movies are hiring then it's no wonder this is the level of accuracy we get.

There's a guy on YouTube who is a professional dialogue coach and he did these videos breaking down famous actors doing accents and he got to Brad Pitt in Snatch and started talking about how it was a Northern Irish accent. So, if that's the standard of coach movies are hiring then it's no wonder this is the level of accuracy we get.

Given the amount of movies with NI accents you think that would be the one you can't mistake

• Registered Users Posts: 8,298 ✭✭✭AllForIt

The trailer looks like The Lord of the Rings except with leprechauns instead of hobbits.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

....... and sh1t

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,352 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The director defended the fake Irish accents saying real Irish accents would be to hard for International audiences to understand.

The director defended the fake Irish accents saying real Irish accents would be to hard for International audiences to understand.

That's ridiculous but just proves what we knew all along. This film was made for a very specific audience and the film makers only care about $

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Where will this be available on streaming?
    For the laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,849 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I remember reading they put subtitles on the Commitments back when it released in the States.
    And I've seen US shows my mum was watching which I'm guessing would have the same target audience as this, such as 90 Day fiancé, where someone could be speaking in perfectly clear English but since they're from a foreign country and have an accent, they have subtitles.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

That's ridiculous but just proves what we knew all along. This film was made for a very specific audience and the film makers only care about $
    It's just a bit of fluff they're not making Schindler's List!

Besides, when people are allowed on planes again, this is the type of exposure the Irish Tourism Board can't get enough of.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,321 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Jamie and Emily are on with Graham Norton for his NYE show

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Jamie and Emily are on with Graham Norton for his NYE show

Norton will revel in pulling the piss out of us for an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Sakana

I don't mind these shows as long as anyone I'm watching them with understands that they're abominations.

It's going to be a hit in Ireland anyway from all the people who will watch it for the car wreck it looks like it will be.

:)

There are people who will tell you that John Patrick Shanley’s “Wild Mountain Thyme” traffics in bumper-to-bumper Irish stereotypes, but those people will be a bit off the mark — “stereotypes” is a wildly inadequate word for how this fable-esque romantic comedy renders the quirks and customs of life in the verdant farmlands of Ireland’s County Mayo. This sometimes enchanting (but always demented) soda farl of banter and blarney couldn’t be a broader caricature of Irish culture if it were written by the Keebler elves and directed by a pint of Guinness.

We’re talking about a movie so in love with its own lucky charms that it makes “Waking Ned Devine” feel like “In the Name of the Father” by comparison. Think that’s overstating the case? The National Leprechaun Museum of Ireland responded to the trailer by tweeting “Even we think this is a bit much.” That was after seeing only two minutes of it; this critic has seen the other 100 as well.

https://www.indiewire.com/2020/12/wild-mountain-thyme-review-1234603283/

When is it released here?

• Advertisement

Well it's in the Wild.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭Shelga

Has anyone heard the crazy thing?
    That apparently there's a big surprise ending and it's that Jamie Dornan character thinks he's a bee and it's portrayed deadly seriously :pac::pac::pac:

I could not stop laughing when I read it online yesterday. This movie sounds batsh*t insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Where can it be watched?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Shelga wrote: »
    Has anyone heard the crazy thing?
    That apparently there's a big surprise ending and it's that Jamie Dornan character thinks he's a bee and it's portrayed deadly seriously :pac::pac::pac:

I could not stop laughing when I read it online yesterday. This movie sounds batsh*t insane.

Yes!! I watched it and thought I was going mad when
    he says he thinks he's a honey bee.
    Absolutely bonkers, and not even in a so bad it's good way. It's a brutal film. It's like scenes were written on improv and don't make any sense on it's own or when put together as a whole. The main characters are pure daft, the human personifications of the bad accents.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,015 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Easily one of the worst films I've ever seen, the accents are actually the least of its problems. How they got so many big names to be in this is just wtf.

They are both allergic to farm animals but it was filmed on a farm, antihistamines galore :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭QikBax

Arguably the worst film I've seen made by industry professionals.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,770 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

its supposed to be a farce right?

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭voldejoie

Is it out here yet? Can't seem to find any way to stream it online (even paying for it!)

• Advertisement

voldejoie wrote: »
    Is it out here yet? Can't seem to find any way to stream it online (even paying for it!)

It was supposed to be out yesterday in cinemas, but that's obviously not happening. They maybe didn't have a streaming release planned?
    I can't see it listed anywhere other than Google Movies, but it's not giving a price or option to buy/rent. It just says coming 2020.

Advertisement