Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,257 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Played some Road Show in Pinball FX3 last night. Apparently there's custom options, would love to see Twilight Zone in there...

I've never played Pinball FX3, do you need much heft computer wise to get it going?
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    And the hori n64 knock off from retrobit also arrived. Looks like I can play mischief makers now. On a bit of a treasure buzz at the moment.

Oooh really interested in hearing how that controller holds up. I only have the one hori pad, so any time I want to play multiplayer N64 everyone else ends up with crappy original pads.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,842 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I never had the Hori Pad either but heard good things. Honestly would have liked to have gone with a traditional N64 pad but I just can't be arsed dealing with the stick dying after 6 months so went with the indestructible option.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,288 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

o1s1n wrote: »
    I've never played Pinball FX3, do you need much heft computer wise to get it going?

I don't believe it's too taxing but the game itself is free, you just pay for each additional pinball pack. You should be able to get an idea of how it runs.

If I'm not mistaken, Visual Pinball X is a pinball mame of sorts, I believe it's a bit of work to get going. I must look into it more.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,842 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Pinball Arcade had the Bally/Williams licensed tables but they lost the license. Must check if I managed to pick them up before they disappeared.

Edit: Balls, only picked up the one with Addams Family. Annoyed with myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,755 ✭✭✭Inviere

My poor Megadrive 8Bitdo, not so much. Buttons and all are still perfect, but the D pad has started squeaking something terrible.

You up for opening another controller up?......

Master of the Universe

Inviere wrote: »
    You up for opening destroying another controller up?......

FYP :pac:

Yeah I'll probably crack it open this weekend as Megadrive pads are incredibly simple compared to PS2 ones.

Saying that, at my current rate, I'll probably open this one up and find a there'll be a mini nuclear reactor or a time bomb inside which can only be stopped by solving advanced mathematical equations.

FYP :pac:

Yeah I'll probably crack it open this weekend as Megadrive pads are incredibly simple compared to PS2 ones.

Saying that, at my current rate, I'll probably open this one up and find a there'll be a mini nuclear reactor or a time bomb inside which can only be stopped by solving advanced mathematical equations.

If I feel a tremor in the force over the weekend, I'll just assume you've gone & opened it up...

So tried out the Tribute 64. I can announce that Mischief Makers and Sin and Punishment are now playable :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Vieira82

Just finished A Mind Forever Voyaging from 1985, one of those text-based games that where common back then. Pretty good!

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

You can actually get replacement 72 pin connectors on ebay for cheap enough and just swap it out. Less of a headache than trying to bend back all those pins.

Get rid of the NES. Any fixes will be temporary at the very best. Get a top loader or a famicom with a cart adapter. Honestly best thing I did. Could not be arsed anymore with bending pins and replacing connectors to have the same issues in three months or less

Breath of Fire Dragon Quarter initially didn't grab me. The battle system just seemed really boring and was thinking of dropping it. Thank god I didn't. Got past the tutorial area and finally got my full party and it absolutely changes things completely. The battle system is one of the best ever in a RPG. It's so tactical and full of fun ways to exploit it. I think it could end up being better than the mighty Grandia. Absolutely loving it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭megaten

Only ever beat Dragon Quarter with an action replay back in the day, which is missing the point in a way. If cheap portable PS2 emulation ever becomes a thing it'll be one of the first games I try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭accensi0n

You can actually get replacement 72 pin connectors on ebay for cheap enough and just swap it out. Less of a headache than trying to bend back all those pins.

Yep, changed mine a few years ago, once the carts contacts are clean I never have issues.

Famicom AV with converter is great as well.

Master of the Universe

I spent the day today playing Shenmue 2 again - what a game!

It might be old and creaky and some of the QTEs are downright infuriating, but the environment is still a living, breathing city and dare I say it, almost 20 years later still more convincing than a lot of modern games.

There's a real sense that every street was specially crafted, building by building rather than the copy and paste you are a lot of in open world games.

If you can just put your mind into a place where you're back in the year 2000 and games like this haven't really existed yet, it's all that more amazing.

Annoyed at myself for not finishing it years ago - I started this save file six years ago after finishing the first game but didn't see it through at the time as my Dreamcast kept randomly resetting.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

If your Dreamcast is doing the random reset, that quick fix where you open it up and clean/bend the pins that connect the PSU to the mainboard works amazingly well and is incredibly easy. I've put in about 10 hours on it now since doing that and no issues at all so far.

That combined with the game running off an SD card and it's a completely new experience. No drive loading sounds is amazing, I was always a little freaked out the game was going to crash when I was going between areas due to the disc loading!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Mmm I had that problem as well just opening it up and doing that meant I never had the issue reoccur.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,058 ✭✭✭Doge

In the process of installing Virtual Reality ports of classic shooters to my Oculus Quest 2 to run on it natively and wirelessly (Quake, Quake 2, Half Life 1, Return to Castle Wolfenstein and the forthcoming port of Doom 3) i gave Quake 2 ago for the first time in a good while.

Took a bit of setting up getting to get the music working and controls right via a editing a .cfg file.
    But once I got it set up I was addicted and burned away an hour or 2 playing it.

Now Quake 2 by no means had the best of gameplay in comparison to shooters like Duke 3D imo, it was more of a tehnically impressive game at the time in my eyes.

But theres something about replaying these games in VR, feeling like you're actually INSIDE the game using your own hand to aim.

The immersion just makes these games feel so much better i think, its a great way of revisiting them as well as having a "new" experience in some ways also.

Doge, how does the Quest 2 compare to the Rift CV1 for visuals, screen door, latency, etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,058 ✭✭✭Doge

Doge, how does the Quest 2 compare to the Rift CV1 for visuals, screen door, latency, etc?

I upgraded from the CV1 myself and its definitely a big upgrade, especially now that it supports 90hz natively and with Oculus Link.

For the price? Its a nobrainer I think.

I have 2020 vision (at least when i was tested a few years back) and i can just about notice the screendoor if i look for it, i.e staring off in the distance in the Ouculus Quest home enviroment.

In game however that goes out the window, its not really noticeable anymore while you're moving around and having fun.
    It was always "there" with the Rift CV1 and was a definite issue.

You can now read small text really well.

Because its using an LCD panel compared to the OLED in the cv1 and Quest 1 the Black levels are a little worse but I don't find them that bad at all for it to be a game breaker, it just means pure black will be a few shades lighter.
    More of an issue in VR cinema apps like bigscreen, but that still doesn't stop me using it 3 times a week to watch series and movies in a VR cinema with a friend who used call over to the house pre-lockdown!
    The colours really pop in the likes of Half Life Alyx and the godrays are much improved, not as good as the PSVR's lack of godrays though.

One of the best benefits of switching to Quest 2 is its ability to do wireless PCVR!

I use the Virtual Desktop app and a cheap €60 Huawei AX3 Pro Wifi 6 router dedicated to using it wirelessly. (PC connected via ethernet to the router, Quest 2 connects wiressly over WIFI)

The funny thing is that the visuals are better using it wirelessly with Virtual Desktop than using it tethered with Oculus Link, at the cost of added latency!

The latency is about 15-20ms with my wireless setup and i found it grand for shooters like Zero Caliber, even with manual reloading.

For Sim Racing I'd probably opt to have it tethered with Oculus Link as every millisecond counts for sims like that, but i havent used the racing rig with it yet.

You may have seen people take issue with the comfort of it.

I actually prefer it to the Rift CV1 as the rift used give me eyestrain in my right eye, its just the strap is a downgrade from the Quest 1 really.

I ordered this Halo Strap a month ago which still hasn't arrived as I'm a fan of the PSVRs comfort and this strap is the next best thing:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001619417239.html

Best to stay away from the Elite Straps if you are buying one, as there seems to be a bad batch and have been reported to break with no misuse.
    So much so that Oculus took them off the market.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that Doge, I'm considering an upgrade to the CV1 also...

I'm not a fan of Facebook tbh, but it might be a necessary evil in this case

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Just been up in the attic. Old school Christmas so.

IMG-20201122-132038.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

And this time into the parents attic!

Mrs Nal is going to be delighted with all the tapes and disks and scart leads on the floor this Xmas.

IMG-20201202-125003.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭airmax87

Been back into the retro the last while after a hiatus of only really playing fighters,
    Speedrunning neo drift out all week and have already sent a submission to take #7.
    WR hasn't been touched since a 2010 youtube video and nobody can even come close, mad stuff altogether

airmax87 wrote: »
    Been back into the retro the last while after a hiatus of only really playing fighters,
    Speedrunning neo drift out all week and have already sent a submission to take #7.
    WR hasn't been touched since a 2010 youtube video and nobody can even come close, mad stuff altogether

Nice, fair play. Can we expect to see you mentioned in a Summoning Salt video at some stage?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭airmax87

Nice, fair play. Can we expect to see you mentioned in a Summoning Salt video at some stage?!

I'll have to jump in a faery ring and ask for help on how to beat that WR, looks like magic is needed

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Vectorblade, arrived this morning, played it for the last while, and it's a blast.
    Gave me a reason to use my Vecadapt which let's me replace the standard Veccy controller with a Megadrive Arcade stick.
    And it's fantastic, obviously a work of passion and skill, so it looks great too.

Master of the Universe

As I'm coming up towards the end of Shenmue 2, I thought I'd pick up Sleeping Dogs Definitive Edition as I've heard there are some similarities and have never actually played it. (and I'm not about ready to buy a PS4 just for Shenmue 3!)

Only played about 30 minutes but already the vending machines and fighting are definitely giving me Shenmue vibes...

I've heard the Yakuza games are similar too, havent played any of them either!

You'll love yakuza. It's basically an evolution of shenmue and fixes a lot of the issues with that series but has its own vibe as well.

They are also secretly jrpgs with random battles that involve more heads being smashed with bicycles than turn based combat.

I've been meaning to try Yakuza but haven't had time. I really enjoyed Sleeping Dogs. That reminds me I never got around to the DLC, I also must finish Shenmue!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Playing Air Combat on PS1 (the original Ace Combat). I don't think I've played it since I was a young teenager - the first time I played it I was only 8 or 9.

Anyway, I have never really stuck myself to combat flight shooters before. I've recently garnered interest and I thought "what better place to start than Ace Combat?" I kinda can't wait to get through this one because the original game does not allow use of the analog stick (I think this feature became available in Ace Combat 2) so I'm stuck using the D-pad. It does not feel good lol

Finished Megaman X. It's a classic slice of what made the 16-bit generation so good. It's a pity the later games actually regressed from the ideas of this game.

Beat Air Combat and Ace Combat 2. I'm skipping Ace Combat 3 as I'm not enjoying the style of it at all, and it looks really ugly on my TV.

Very off putting.

I'm jumping straight into Ace Combat 04, which I'm enjoying very much. I've recently bought Ace Combat 6 on Xbox 360, and I was going to stick to the Xbox One version of Ace Combat 7, but I noticed that if I get the Deluxe Edition on PS4, it comes with Ace Combat 05, which is completely delisted otherwise, so I've gone and bought that, which is currently on sale until the 22nd, I think. Perfect timing.

The only outlier then for me is The Belkan War which I haven't played since I was about 16, and even then I barely played it. The PAL version is affordable but I'd be scared in case it didn't run to par (50Hz and all that sh1te) so I'll have to wait until I can afford a US copy, which isn't really cheap.

Ace Combat 3 is supposed to be excellent, it's when the series came into it's own and the gameplay and style carried forward.

However you need to play it with a fan translation. The Japanese version comes on 2 discs with an intricate story and cutscenes. The western release cut all that out and it's just bare missions.

Also the PS4 version of Ace Combat only came with Ace Combat 5 remake if you preordered it. Pretty sure the window to picking it up is gone.

As for 60Hz on the PAL Ace Combat games, there are sites you can check for that. Pretty sure Namco were pretty good about 60 Hz modes.

Ace Combat 3 is supposed to be excellent, it's when the series came into it's own and the gameplay and style carried forward.

However you need to play it with a fan translation. The Japanese version comes on 2 discs with an intricate story and cutscenes. The western release cut all that out and it's just bare missions.

I got it and I tried to run it on POPSTARTER on my PS2 and it looked like garbage. Apparently it's not compatible (most of the game's backgrounds and 3D landscapes are all black)
    Also the PS4 version of Ace Combat only came with Ace Combat 5 remake if you preordered it. Pretty sure the window to picking it up is gone.

If you get the deluxe edition it comes with it. I just got it there now, downloading both games as we speak. Apparently it's only available on the EU PSN store. The US store doesn't come with it.

38dh5MTl.png
    As for 60Hz on the PAL Ace Combat games, there are sites you can check for that. Pretty sure Namco were pretty good about 60 Hz modes.

I looked at Belkan War and there is no option for 60hz at all, which sucks

Must look for a sale on that deluxe version. Heard the remake is excellent and a crime it's locked out as a freebie.

I see the digital version is on sale right now. Is that the version that will give Ace 5?

Must look for a sale on that deluxe version. Heard the remake is excellent and a crime it's locked out as a freebie.

I see the digital version is on sale right now. Is that the version that will give Ace 5?

Yeah that's the one I got.

kQWFyDDl.jpg

Awesome. Already got the PC version for I think 25 smackers is worth it for a great remaster of supposedly one of the best in the series.

Time to dig the PS4 out for the first time in months!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Just bought that Ace Combat 7 pack myself.
    The last time I had a great time playing the franchise was Ace Combat and the sequel on the OG PlayStation!

• Advertisement

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Just bought that Ace Combat 7 pack myself.
    The last time I had a great time playing the franchise was Ace Combat and the sequel on the OG PlayStation!

It's still good. They pretty much perfected the genre with those ps1 games and it's never been not fun.

Project Wingman on pc is probably better again especially with it's vr implementation.

Just finished Streets of Rage 4 for the first time, what's the story with the difficulty of the last level! Also the bosses are unusually difficult compared to the rest of the level. It's like two player amounts of enemies, but single player...

I enjoy when you're swarmed with enemies from all sides, like the final stage in the castle, and you manage to whoop ass jumping around them, but the sudden spike in difficulty on the last stage was a pain.

Played as SoR1 Axel, much easier! Looking at the controls there's a defensive move button that I just try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Just finished 'The Last of Us 2', bought this when first released and not taken out of the drive since, just shows how much time I get on the PS4 these days. As for the game, very repetitive gameplay but solid enough piece of entertainment overall - storyline to the first one was much more to my liking though..

Playing a lot of point'n clicks on my ipad these days, almost finished the Broken Sword series on it.

And battling thru the Jedi Knight series on the Switch..

Master of the Universe

Bashing through lots of Saturn games now that I have the Fenrir loaded up with 32GB worth. It's such a brilliant device. Load times are excellent.

Was playing Dark Saviour this afternoon for a couple of hours. Whoever thought of making platform sections in an isometric RPG was an absolute sadist. :eek:, not incredibly difficult, just so so awkward and clunky. Visually I really like it though, interesting use of sprite scaling on 3D rendered backgrounds.

I'm playing The Last of Us Remastered actually. There's something about linear story based games I just love, going back to the Half Life roots. Open world sandbox games can be good, but more often, it's just going from a to b to c, to a, etc.

The remastered version of TLoU is really well put together if you're into linear games. Love the story so far, music and voice acting are excellent, atmosphere is great, graphics great (playing on a Pro, opting for high frame rate rather than higher resolution).

I think the previous two Christmas's I've played Uncharted 1 and 2, so took a break from them this year.

It's the authoring of the game world and challenges I prefer in linear games. The game designer has full control of what happens.

Open world is very different. The best open world games fully embrace all the little systems working together to make interesting scenarios and give the player a tonne of choice. Stuff like botw and minecraft.

More often than not the open world is a nuisance you traverse between missions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I'm playing The Last of Us Remastered actually. There's something about linear story based games I just love, going back to the Half Life roots. Open world sandbox games can be good, but more often, it's just going from a to b to c, to a, etc.

The remastered version of TLoU is really well put together if you're into linear games. Love the story so far, music and voice acting are excellent, atmosphere is great, graphics great (playing on a Pro, opting for high frame rate rather than higher resolution).

I think the previous two Christmas's I've played Uncharted 1 and 2, so took a break from them this year.

I played LOU for the first time a couple months expecting not to like it that much but really came away appreciating how damn tight the whole thing is. Like even at its most walkie and talkie, you're left with the sense the game has respect for your time and doesn't hang around longer than it needs. And, no, this is not something I could ever say about LOU Part II. There, couldn't resist a swipe at the low-hanging fruit on my way out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

Just finished golden Axe on the arcade there. Was surprised by how short it was, but also surprised to see there's a different ending to the Megadrive version. All the characters burst out of an arcade machine and go running down a street. Neat!

IMG-20201231-170528-4.jpg

The megadrive game expands on golden axe significantly even if it's missing some graphical pizzazz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

The megadrive game expands on golden axe significantly even if it's missing some graphical pizzazz

Yeah it was a surprise all right. Need to get golden Axe 2!

Finally dusted off panzer dragoon orta for the Xbox and finished it for first time, very good all round, graphically it holds up nicely even on an lcd. Unlocked panzer dragoon 1 for the Saturn and even though it's easier than I remember it has some stonking music in there, same woman who did the soundtrack for silent Hill

Favourite is probably the first level boss music

Actually no, last boss music having just beaten it :p the panzer games are strange, definitely have that cultish thing going on

Master of the Universe

Speaking of the Saturn, I was looking for a good RPG to get stuck into. Currently four hours into Shining The Holy Ark, never played it before. Really loving it so far!

• Advertisement
Advertisement