Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farmers Walks

Options
  • 26-08-2019 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what people feel is a good weight for Farmers Walks ?
    I know that it is conditional on size, weight etc but just a brief idea.
    At the moment, I am 72 KG and have been doing Farmers Walks with a 20KG Kettlebell in 1 hand and a 24 KG in another hand and swapping sides each set. I normally do about 7 walks, each one in between a set of lifts. Today I did about 4 at the 20/24kg but then upped it to 30kg in each had for 3 shorter walks. The gym is a work gym so is really limited in equipment but I get by with it. Just wondering is that weight enough to build muscle or do I need heavier ? Again I know it is subjective but just trying to guage peoples opinions on the Farmers Walk as an exercise and also on my question above.

Thanks Guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I remember someone saying that if you could walk a ~hundred meters with them, then they are too light,on the flip side if your form is bad then its too heavy. with my limited experience i would say drop the number to 5 but increase the weight if you can, for example a medium day at ~75% of body weight (total) or heavy at 100% or mix.
    Mix it up a bit with one handed variants or throw in some plate pinches if you rate grip strength training. One tip if you are stuck with kettlebells is bring in a couple of bungee chords and you can add weights to buildup between kb sizes.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 39,069 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

There's gonna be a co-relation between distance and weight. So indoors I'd assume you are doing maybe 20-30m.

24kg is pretty light, I'd be surprised if that was a struggle. It should be borderline impossible, but should definitely feel pretty hard.

I'd suggest a starting point of Half bodyweight per hand. For you that's 36kg.
    With a goal of bodyweight per hand, or total load somewhere around your max deadlift.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Mellor wrote: »
    There's gonna be a co-relation between distance and weight. So indoors I'd assume you are doing maybe 20-30m.

24kg is pretty light, I'd be surprised if that was a struggle. It should be borderline impossible, but should definitely feel pretty hard.

I'd suggest a starting point of Half bodyweight per hand. For you that's 36kg.
    With a goal of bodyweight per hand, or total load somewhere around your max deadlift.

Thanks for that Mellor... yeah I was thinking 24kg was pretty light but with it being a work gym I am limited. The most that I can get in 2 dumbbells is 30kg each. I could probably get 2 plates up to 35kg but they are biggish so quite awkward to hold 2 in each hand. So I am doing them more frequently during a session to try and counteract that it is a lightish weight but you have given me at least an idea of what I should be aiming for so thanks for that.

It's one of those lifts that progress very fast initially. You'd soon grow out of kettle bells and dumbells.
    When I was doing them regularly I had access to proper handles which made a huge difference.

In order to work with limited weight, you could do an overhead variation like a waiter walk, or press walk. 24-30kg would be much tougher like that. You might even need to wind back the first few sets.

There also suitcase carries with a loaded barbell

Wow, they are great and you just load up on each end, absolutely ideal.
    I have tried the waiter walks with 16kg initially just to get the confidence in my form and will look to increase that.
    I was even thinking of getting a couple of straps and strapping them around some plates and try to hold them like that but I would say it would not be the most comfortable for walking

• Advertisement

I had stumbled over this guy , he was doing a “100 day Challenge” Farmers carry (he is 59), he seemed to have had good results though I wouldnt be prepared to walk around Dublin for an hour carrying kettlebells :D

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

I have tried the waiter walks with 16kg initially just to get the confidence in my form and will look to increase that.
    Id even wind it back lighter getting started.
    Inspired by this thread I did some waiter walks this evening. And 16kg overhead is tougher than a 32kg farmers walk. Which makes sense if you think of one as a walking press and the other a walking deadlift.

Inspired by this thread I did some waiter walks this evening. And 16kg overhead is tougher than a 32kg farmers walk. Which makes sense if you think of one as a walking press and the other a walking deadlift.

Perfect, I will take your advice and knock it back on the waiter walk to get started and look to increase from there.. Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Reps4jesus

Big fan of waiters carries but find them very difficult. If using straps i can farmers carry 180kg for 30 meter stretches, but really struggle with anything above 15kg on waiters so i generally try do them for longer distances. I really should do them more often

Reps4jesus wrote: »
    Big fan of waiters carries but find them very difficult. If using straps i can farmers carry 180kg for 30 meter stretches, but really struggle with anything above 15kg on waiters so i generally try do them for longer distances. I really should do them more often

Farmers carry is a derivative of your deadlift.
    Waiter carry is a derivative of your press.

So Those numbers aren't crazy tbh. I'd expect farmers to be 3-5 times waiters.

• Advertisement

I mainly do hex bar dead lift , they are basically the same for me using farmer handles. If your gym has a hex bar that's another way of doing the farmer carry

Reps4jesus wrote: »

180kg!!! 😳😳.... Holy **** !!!!

Maybe I am doing waiter walks with incorrect form or something but I found 16kg to be ok and not a massive struggle... how far are you talking about walking? Perhaps I am not doing them far enough

Maybe I am doing waiter walks with incorrect form or something but I found 16kg to be ok and not a massive struggle... how far are you talking about walking? Perhaps I am not doing them far enough
    16kg per hand, press overhead and walk the length of the gym and back.
    I did 10,12,16 to get shoulders warmed up. I’ll aim for 20kg and so on.

Ah ok, I thought that for waiters walks, that you did each hand separately, (ie) 16kg in right hand , finish walk and then change to left hand. That’s what I did, so should I have had a weight in each? I thought (possibly incorrectly) that with a weight in just one hand that your core had to work harder to stabilise you as you are being pulled one side with the weight.

Ah ok, I thought that for waiters walks, that you did each hand separately, (ie) 16kg in right hand , finish walk and then change to left hand. That’s what I did, so should I have had a weight in each? I thought (possibly incorrectly) that with a weight in just one hand that your core had to work harder to stabilise you as you are being pulled one side with the weight.
    I think strictly speaking Waiter walk is one hand, and two hands would be a press walk. And yes, with one hand core would work harder but shoulders have it easier as you can compensate left to right.

I think strictly speaking Waiter walk is one hand, and two hands would be a press walk. And yes, with one hand core would work harder but shoulders have it easier as you can compensate left to right.

So basically do both for maximum benefits

So basically do both for maximum benefits
    Probably not necessary to do both together. Once you approach max effort with either version you’ll be working hard everywhere. Better off spending the time on a completely different muscle/exercise.

Although, alternating every week/workout could be good. I’ll give the one arm version go tomorrow

Probably not necessary to do both together. Once you approach max effort with either version you’ll be working hard everywhere. Better off spending the time on a completely different muscle/exercise.

Although, alternating every week/workout could be good. I’ll give the one arm version go tomorrow

Good advice Mellor and makes sense, Thanks for all the advice in this thread, it has helped me get a better understanding of the exercise and it's variants....

How are you going with the loaded carries now?
    I’ve been playing with them a bit. Mostly press (double)!carries to minimise time. But i’ve also been using waiter (single) carries to bridge the gap to next level.

Eg:
    Today I did 20kg double carry. Then 24kg single
    Next week I’ll do 24kg double, and a 28kg single etc

Might need to increase the gap between them to 8kg as they get heavier though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement