Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shadowrun RPG

• 02-08-2019 4:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭

Shadowrun is a game set in the 2080s. It's in a cyberpunk world like Blade Runner or Altered Carbon. The difference is that magic also returned to the world. I think this image of an elf taking on an attack droid sums it up:

cblqjJ.jpg

The beginners box set for the new edition just came out, so it's not actually possible to make a character yet. You just take one of the pre-supplied ones. There are only four pre-supplied characters, but I'll take on more people if you're happy being essentially the same character as somebody else.

The characters are:
    1. American Troll Cyber-Samurai
    2. American Ork Combat Mage
    3. African Dwarf Hacker
    4. Cantonese Cybernetic Elf Spy

The story starts off with a shootout that the characters get caught up in when shopping.

No need to know the rules.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

Depending on times ill provisionally book in

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,128 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I'm watching from the... ahem... Shadows. Provisionally in but boot me ahead of any new players Four :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

Necro wrote: »
    I'm watching from the... ahem... Shadows. Provisionally in but boot me ahead of any new players Four :)
    No worries Necro.

Here are what the characters look like by default:
    VsghLE.jpg
    qwy8lF.jpg
    ns9HrU.jpg
    pRkggt.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Necro wrote: »

Ditto please.

If I'm playing I wanna be the Troll Street Samurai :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

always wanted to be a chineese elf with enhanced bits that snoops on others.

sKeith wrote: »
    always wanted to be a chineese elf with enhanced bits that snoops on others.
    is that about me, no.... it's YU

Four on board, so that's one for each role, but ye can double up if ye want.

Others can still join and yes dear reader that means you.

Mage please

tusk if you wanna be the samurai I can be a dwarf I guess.

It's kind of a thing anyways with me and dwarves :cool:

• Advertisement

I'll be frost burn for the craic

Oh wait. Baggly picked that. I don't mind what I am :D

What pace would people feel able to handle? In the evenings and fast or 1-3 posts per day or what?

Or another possibility is 5-10 posts a day but we wait until others have responded. It's a style I've tried recently. Basically people post when they want and I respond but the story doesn't really get ahead of anybody as I stop responding if others are behind and wait for them. Works very well when people split up.

Fourier wrote:
    Or another possibility is 5-10 posts a day but we wait until others have responded. It's a style I've tried recently. Basically people post when they want and I respond but the story doesn't really get ahead of anybody as I stop responding if others are behind and wait for them. Works very well when people split up.

I like this.

Yeah happy to go with the second option Four :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Beggin' your pardon sir.

I heard you had nice warm RPG and I'm ever so cold....

beggar-boy-by-john-george-brown.jpg

So five now. Choices are:
    1. American Troll Cyber-Samurai (Necro)
    2. American Ork Combat Mage (Baggly, tusk)
    3. African Dwarf Hacker
    4. Cantonese Cybernetic Elf Spy (sKeith)

Banjo undetermined. tusk if you want to switch or stick to Mage either is fine.

I'll take african dwarf hacker.

Let me go and learn some pidgeon Yoruba... Ok, done!
    Inu mi dun si patta yo game sah!

5-10 should be fine for me :D

well we've got one of each now, so which would make most sense to double up on?

• Advertisement

Whichever one you prefer tusk :)

4 is a good number for the party so stay mage tusk and I'll step out. I've WW games to mod coming up anyway so there is a chance I stepped forward in excitement when I shouldn't have. Hope that's OK with you Four.

nah I'm happy to bow out baggers. I'm doing Necro's anyway :D

you go ahead!

Not at all tusk honestly I've a lot on at the mo. I wouldn't have done it justice.

Baggly wrote: »
    Not at all tusk honestly I've a lot on at the mo. I wouldn't have done it justice.

Rightcha be so!

2 mages maji wizardy people are better than one. The party is stronger with both of ye.

Yeah you're grand Baggly, when does the WW game start?

Fourier wrote:
    Yeah you're grand Baggly, when does the WW game start?

Sat/sun week. But it's more the setup and writing that I'm looking to get done between now and then.

How would this suit:

The adventure sort of has an intro + the actual mission itself. You could opt out of the intro to run WW with ease and then pop back in during the bit before the mission itself. I'd have a very natural way (in terms of the story) of inserting you at that point.

• Advertisement

Fourier wrote:
    The adventure sort of has an intro + the actual mission itself. You could opt out of the intro to run WW with ease and then pop back in during the bit before the mission itself. I'd have a very natural way (in terms of the story) of inserting you at that point.

Yeah cool thanks for accommodating me four.

Baggly wrote: »
    Sat/sun week. But it's more the setup and writing that I'm looking to get done between now and then.
    If that wasn't the queue for a synth-rock montage of all of us crumpling up paper, wiping our head-banded brows, bashing fists off the desk, then holding up a sheet triumphantly while someone else nods knowingly, I don't know what is.

So:
    1. American Troll Cyber-Samurai (Necro)
    2. American Ork Combat Mage (Baggly, tusk)
    3. African Dwarf Hacker (Banjo)
    4. Cantonese Cybernetic Elf Spy (sKeith)

That's us all set to go. I'll email character details tomorrow and put up a little bit about the rules. We'll start next Tuesday if that suits everybody.

Regarding the rules the new Shadowrun edition is like some other RPGs (e.g. Mythras, Runequest, Call of Cthulhu) where the game is designed assuming players only know the "core" of the rules and the GM knows most of the rules. So it's only this short "core" I'll be posting. It's enough rules to be able to read your character sheet.

An example might be that there are rules for being fatigued/tired which are complicated. I keep track of them but just let you know "You are tired", you don't need the mechanics.

Regarding rolling do people like to roll the (virtual) dice themselves or do they not care? Because I can simply roll them and narrate the results myself.

Happy to let you roll for me Four :)

Fourier wrote: »
    Regarding rolling do people like to roll the (virtual) dice themselves or do they not care? Because I can simply roll them and narrate the results myself.

Put me down as a don't care.

• Advertisement

I'm easy. Deep down I want to see it all in action just to get a better understanding of the game but not at the expense of the game - I can look it up after. Just don't roll a bunch of 1s for me!

Yeah if everyone is going that route I'm happy

You can roll for me thanks four

I have to ask, how complicated is the rolling? I read 5th edition last year and it sounded like you'd be rolling bowl-fulls of dice at any given time. Is 6th similar?

• Advertisement

Yes Baggly, fine to close now.

Banjo wrote: »
    I have to ask, how complicated is the rolling? I read 5th edition last year and it sounded like you'd be rolling bowl-fulls of dice at any given time. Is 6th similar?
    Quite similar. I'll have more later, but yeah it's piles of d6 dice.

Make it rain Four

giphy.gif

Basically to explain the character sheet a little about the rules:

Whenever I think something is in doubt or there is a chance of failure I'll roll the dice. This will basically always involve testing a skill. So for example if you are trying to repair an electric device it would be the electronics skill.

The number of dice I use is the value you have in that skill + the value you have in the attribute linked to that skill. So if you have Logic 6 and Electronics 3 then I roll nine d6 dice.

Every 5 or 6 on a dice is called a hit. If you get enough hits you succeed. Typically you need 2-5 hits depending on how hard the task is.

Every skill has one single attribute linked to it.

Tomorrow I'll explain the Edge system and a bit about the weapons, since that is something you need to understand.

Reading Skills:
    Your skills have three columns on the sheet. RTG is rating, i.e. how good you are at that skill. ATT is what attribute they are linked to. And finally DP is the the skill + linked attribute, i.e. how much dice I roll when you use that skill.

Edge:
    Edge is a quantity in the game that represents how much of an advantage you have in a situation. This advantage is basically a combination of luck, equipment, planning and the situation. It's easier with an example.

You run into an alleyway to confront a thief and draw your weapon. You currently have 2 Edge from earlier in the game, your weapon weapon is way more powerful than their armour can resist (+1 Edge from the advantage) and there is a cop car's light in their eyes behind you (+2 Edge to you). So overall in the situation you have 5 Edge.

You can choose to use these advantages or not by spending the Edge. I'll send on a pdf before the game starts that lists what spending the edge does. But basically the more you spend the better.

The Edge written on your sheet is the maximum amount you can "store" after a current scene is over. So in the example above if the character has "Edge 3" on their sheet, even though they have built up 5 Edge once the confrontation with the thief is over they drop down to 3 Edge. The max anybody can have is 7.

Combat:
    Combat is basically:
    Weapon skill + Linked Attribute vs Reaction + Intuition

You don't have to know the details of combat just that the higher your "Reaction + Intuition" the harder you are to hit. Also the better your Weapon skill the more likely you are to hit.

For your weapons they have "DV" listed. This is how much base damage they do. The better you hit your target though will add to this.
    If you want to know the details when I roll your Weapon skill + Linked Attribute and your opponent's Reaction + Intuition if you don't get more hits (5 or 6 on the dices) than them you miss. If you do get more the amount more you get is added to your weapon's base damage

That's it, the next two sections are only if you have Magic or are a Decker.

Magic:
    Magic just works like any other skill. You roll and see if you get enough hits (5 or 6 on dice). The skill used is Sorcery. You'll see Frostburn's spells listed beneath her skills on the character sheet. Any questions about them just PM.

One thing about Sorcery is that some spells can be charged up, i.e. put more energy in for a bigger effect. I'll let you know you have the option to do this when it comes up.

Also sorcery has the potential to drain or exhaust your character. Again I'll let you know when that happens and I'll flag spells that have a good chance to be draining.

Decker:
    So this is quite different from other abilities. Many machines and computer systems are part of a simulated virtual world called the Matrix. Whenever you hack in you will then be taken over to the Matrix thread, a separate in game thread for going around this virtual world. Hacking systems is basically the a skill check. The system you seek to hack is represented by some avatar in the matrix like a building or tower.

Skill checks inside the Matrix use "Electronics" if they are legal and "Cracking" if illegal.

Sometimes a system will be defended by programs that will appear as avatars in the matrix. I'll describe matrix combat when it comes up.

Thanks four. this sounds complex. I feel like it's gonna be a case of get into it and figure it out as i go for me :D

tusk wrote: »
    Thanks four. this sounds complex. I feel like it's gonna be a case of get into it and figure it out as i go for me :D
    It's only there if you want to know, not necessary at all to know it. The only important thing is look at your skills and the bigger the number in the DP column the better you are at that skill. Just so you know what you're good or bad at.

If something isn't on your skill list at all you're shíte at it. Like if you guys find a helicopter none of Frostburn's skills cover it so I wouldn't get in the cockpit.

For her magic just read the spell names and you'll have a fair idea what she can do. You just need to know she can lob a fireball and leave the details to me.

Fourier wrote: »
    It's only there if you want to know, not necessary at all to know it. The only important thing is look at your skills and the bigger the number in the DP column the better you are at that skill. Just so you know what you're good or bad at.

If something isn't on your skill list at all you're shíte at it. Like if you guys find a helicopter none of Frostburn's skills cover it so I wouldn't get in the cockpit.

For her magic just read the spell names and you'll have a fair idea what she can do. You just need to know she can lob a fireball and leave the details to me.

Sounds like the perfect level of effort for me my dude :pac:

So, Tusk - if Four asks you what you want to do, what will your response be.....?

One of my skills is German Expressionist Cinema.
    What skill opposes this in, say, a discussion about the retroactive impact of Naziism on the film's themes of the workers struggle in the face of authoritarianism?

(That is the sum total of my ability to bull**** on this topic, although I did have a copy of Metropolis of VHS that I never got around to watching - does that count?)

• Advertisement
Advertisement