Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Meta Quest

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

Shlippery wrote: »
    Was multi-tasking with genuine work stuff and writing that comment, think I just pasted something that was on clipboard!

But in short, I'm just gonna run through everything again step by step and see if it improves!

Whats the ETA on your own quest?

No word on shipping yet but they took the few bob from my PayPal a few days back. No funds taken at ordering stage over a week ago..

Is it a tricky setup or fine tuning gfx settings?

Emsil just came through that it has shipped!

How long did yours take to get to you from initial shipment?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Finished The Room VR: A Dark Matter. Very enjoyable. It does a lot of things right, first and foremost it nails the escape room feel and puzzle elements, it’s designed in a way that allows you to jump to the active spots of the puzzles. If you gave me the choice beforehand, I’d pick a more free roaming model, however, this design works exceptionally well. There’s a handy hint system that can nudge you in the right direction.

At €30 It’s a tad bit overpriced, but that’s almost all games on the oculus store. I’d say if you were to use the hint system abundantly, you’d be done in about 2 hours, but part of the fun for me was figuring out what to do. Admittedly the experience took me about 7 hours, to complete, but that’s probably down to me not being the brightest bulb in the pack.

The main issue I had, was the story. It’s almost non-existent, which is a shame really because it could have been so much more and would have really enhanced the experience.

Another missed opportunity was not including a multiplayer option. It would have been amazing playing this with some friends and collectively solving some of the rooms, especially in the scenarios that I got so fed up and used the hint system.

Anyhews, great game, looks fantastic and is well executed. If they knock 20% off in an upcoming sale, I’d recommend you pick it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭Daveq

Back in stock on Oculus.com!! Just nabbed a 64gb

Mine Just arrived...!!

Setting it up this evening. Any advised guides online for best way to setup?

I bought the cable from Amazon UK from a recommendation here. But I'm seeing some reviews saying its nowhere near as good as officical. Any truth in this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,866 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

sticker wrote: »
    Mine Just arrived...!!

Setting it up this evening. Any advised guides online for best way to setup?

I bought the cable from Amazon UK from a recommendation here. But I'm seeing some reviews saying its nowhere near as good as officical. Any truth in this?

Hmm the reviews on Amazon seem to suggest it works fine... make sure it's a USB 3 port I guess?

I've only got a Link cable which connects to a USB Type C port, so don't have experience with the alternative that goes through the USB 3 port.

My advice is first get some Quest games like Superhot or Thrill of the Fight... Eleven table tennis is great too

mrcheez wrote: »
    Hmm the reviews on Amazon seem to suggest it works fine... make sure it's a USB 3 port I guess?

I've only got a Link cable which connects to a USB Type C port, so don't have experience with the alternative that goes through the USB 3 port.

My advice is first get some Quest games like Superhot or Thrill of the Fight... Eleven table tennis is great too

Should I go straight for cable use first? Alyx is the primary game I want to play...

Should I go straight for cable use first? Alyx is the primary game I want to play...

I think you answered yer own question there :pac:

I think you answered yer own question there :pac:

:D

• Advertisement

Stupid Question, but the USB 3.0 cable - I dont see a port on my GFX card - Does it go in the GFX card of any USB port on the PC? Is there a way to check is all ports are USB 3.0?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Shlippery

No such thing as a stupid question! It's not on the graphics card, look for a port at back of your pc that has the bit of blue in it. Most new motherboards have it as standard

jYOWxgf.png

If you're running the Oculus software on your pc, go to 'add device' and it should 'test' the cable once it's plugged in and let you know if all is OK!

Thanks - BUMMER though. See below pic of my room... The 10 foot cable will not work in the main area in Attic. Too short. Are all you guys on top of your PC with cable? Doesn't seem to be anyway long enough to have a roam around...?

My cable:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B017COHTJ6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2020-04-22_17-18-47.png

2020-04-22_17-21-46.png

that cable looks shorter than 3m, is that what it measures up as?!?

The old Rift cable was 4m and that was plenty long, so 3m should be loads.

From the picture that cable looks about 1.5m?

I think the issue is more how far back the PC is from the 'open space' - you'd nearly want to pull out your tower to beside the TV.

I've the 10ft Anker cable and this is ~roughly~ my play area - which is enough to move around. you don't need a ton of space for HL:A!
    https://i.imgur.com/VPiLlvn.png

(also - that's a fine desk / space you have! - love the 'white' )

that cable looks shorter than 3m, is that what it measures up as?!?

The old Rift cable was 4m and that was plenty long, so 3m should be loads.

From the picture that cable looks about 1.5m?

No its 3 meters alright, but if I;m 6 foot tall I can only stand in front of the TV with it. Bollix!

I have a dual monitor display, It would be royal pain to move it with all the HDs and cabling.

• Advertisement

I think the issue is more how far back the PC is from the 'open space' - you'd nearly want to pull out your tower to beside the TV.

I've the 10ft Anker cable and this is ~roughly~ my play area - which is enough to move around. you don't need a ton of space for HL:A!
    https://i.imgur.com/VPiLlvn.png

(also - that's a fine desk / space you have! - love the 'white' )

Cheers mate. I'll have to work something out. Is there longer cables out there?

Edit: found on reddit

USB 3.0 boasts 4.8 Gbits/s as long as your cable is within the (approximate) 3 meter threshold. Anything longer and the full speed is not guaranteed. The length limitation is a small step down from USB 2.0's 5 meters.

You've always got the wireless 'Virtual Desktop' option too , just takes a bit more setup (need to setup 'Sidequest' and buy the 'virtual desktop' app on the oculus store)

If you want to dive in though, you likely have enough space in Oculus Link to get started. if you face with your back towards your pc, you'll still have a good bit of room to manevour, aim, duck, crouch etc.

Also tons of accessibility settings. in HL:A to adjust to your space. All hope not lost! (If you were to get the Rift S, you'd have the same issues re: cable length, so with Quest at least you've the fully wireless option to use all your space on other apps)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭pasta-solo

I barely moved from the spot in Alyx. Most movement was just ducking and peeking out from cover on the spot, as well as picking up/throwing with my arms.

Compared to other games likes Blade & Sorcery and Boneworks(where I've had to be very careful in my tiny playspace) , I moved very little. The controls in Alyx are very well thought out.

Thanks All. Much appreciated. Moved the Rig - Thanks for tip Shlippery - Ruddy hate cable moving though!

Cable is indeed 10 Foot...

Bit more space but clean look at Desk is gone!!

Do you all stand for Alyx? or use chair?

20200422_191921.jpg

2020-04-22_19-21-21.png

I'm playing it wirelessly using Virtual Desktop and haven't gone back.

When I did play it wired I was standing but when I first got VR back in 2017 I played seated until I got my VR legs, so just try it seated first to avoid potential motion sickness.

• Advertisement

I played standing, love ducking behind cover in game, it feels so immersive!

Also, huge recommendation for Rec Room, which I tried for the first time this evening. Works on the Quest itself, and is totally free. Me and a friend set up some private rooms and had some very enjoyable games of Bowling and Laser Tag.

Would be up for setting up a room sometime if folks here were up for a bowling tournament or something?

I'm playing it wirelessly using Virtual Desktop and haven't gone back.

When I did play it wired I was standing but when I first got VR back in 2017 I played seated until I got my VR legs, so just try it seated first to avoid potential motion sickness.

Have you noticed much of a difference in Alyx between wired and wirelessly in terms of performance?

I'm setting up now but when I try to copnnect headset for link in Oculas windows app, it does not resongise it.

Do I need to setup on mobile app first?

Thanks

I'm setting up now but when I try to copnnect headset for link in Oculas windows app, it does not resongise it.

Do I need to setup on mobile app first?

Thanks

The steps to connect (with some troubleshooting tips) are listed here - https://support.oculus.com/525406631321134/

pasta-solo wrote: »
    The steps to connect (with some troubleshooting tips) are listed here - https://support.oculus.com/525406631321134/

Thanks - It just connected now! Going to setup Steam now!

Thanks - It just connected now! Going to setup Steam now!

Enjoy!! Try Blade & Sorcery too, with a few mods added it's so much fun!

Cheers. Do I just play out fo the box. First impression of hub etc is very good. Can I tweek GFX settings?

Cheers. Do I just play out fo the box. First impression of hub etc is very good. Can I tweek GFX settings?

For Link, each game will have its own internal graphics settings like any other PC game. But there's not a huge amount of customisation with VR games tbh. Even the difference between High and Low settings on Alyx isn't very visible. That could be due to the Quest being lower res than Index though!

Less questions, get stuck in and report back!

:pac:

Less questions, get stuck in and report back!

:pac:

Will do!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

I really want to play Half-LIfe Alyx, and delve into VR in general. A Quest seems to be the best option for me, but it's sold out everywhere!

Mr_Muffin wrote: »
    I really want to play Half-LIfe Alyx, and delve into VR in general. A Quest seems to be the best option for me, but it's sold out everywhere!

https://www.oculus.com/quest/

Just keep watching their page, it's a matter of luck really! Can use their 'stock notifier' although not sure how quick that is - it's only recently added!

Loving it so far - Just messing with Demos.. The audio seems screwed up though. When I start up the Quest at start - fine. Nut when I take off and start PC work all audio is stuck with Quest. Now no audio to Quest even when I set Quest Audio in my wondows audio settings. No audio to PC also! Does the Quest audio not play on both PC and Headset?

Going to sort this out before starting Alyx

Thanks

Loving it so far - Just messing with Demos.. The audio seems screwed up though. When I start up the Quest at start - fine. Nut when I take off and start PC work all audio is stuck with Quest. Now no audio to Quest even when I set Quest Audio in my wondows audio settings. No audio to PC also! Does the Quest audio not play on both PC and Headset?

Going to sort this out before starting Alyx

Thanks

I'd advise getting some high-quality in-ear buds and leaving them permanently plugged in (wrap the wire around the strap to keep it tidy).

Makes such a difference in Alyx as the sound depth and atmosphere is superb.

I'd advise getting some high-quality in-ear buds and leaving them permanently plugged in (wrap the wire around the strap to keep it tidy).

Makes such a difference in Alyx as the sound depth and atmosphere is superb.

Cheers - Any recommendations from experience?

Cheers - Any recommendations from experience?

I've got a set of Klipsch Image X10i's

https://www.whathifi.com/klipsch/image-x10i/review

Got em for a bargain(!) price of €110 back in 2012 but I never actually used them much till now :rolleyes:

I've got a set of Klipsch Image X10i's

https://www.whathifi.com/klipsch/image-x10i/review

Got em for a bargain(!) price of €110 back in 2012 but I never actually used them much till now :rolleyes:

Cheers. I just remembered I've a set of Jaybird X3's! - Must see if Bluetooth works with Quest...

Cheers. I just remembered I've a set of Jaybird X3's! - Must see if Bluetooth works with Quest...

unfortunately no... first thing I tried was getting my bluetooth headphones working with it.

Surprisingly bluetooth headphones don't work with my Switch Lite either.

Some design decisions baffle me :rolleyes:

unfortunately no... first thing I tried was getting my bluetooth headphones working with it.

Surprisingly bluetooth headphones don't work with my Switch Lite either.

Some design decisions baffle me :rolleyes:

I see most reviews for offical Oculus Quest IEM Headphones are really good but out of stock in offial store (surrpise!) - Ordered a set from Argos Ebay...

• Advertisement

I see most reviews for offical Oculus Quest IEM Headphones are really good but out of stock in offial store (surrpise!) - Ordered a set from Argos Ebay...

Yeah they'd be a good option especially considering you don't need to worry about long wires

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

Is it worth picking up a used Quest?

Don’t see why not, but you’ll miss out on the free Vader games, so you’ll probably only save about 40 quid, and for that price I’d rather have a new one.

Mr_Muffin wrote: »
    Is it worth picking up a used Quest?

Yeah, you can replace the face plate with a nicer cushion one off Amazon

OK I just had the best damned session of Half Life Alyx tonight. Completely wireless and none of the lower-res issues I was having on my old setup.

This time I invested in a CAT7 cable. Plugged it directly from my laptop upstairs to my router downstairs (ran the 10m cable down), and connected Quest to the router via the 5GHz band, then loaded up Alyx via Virtual Desktop.

Absolutely pristine high-res session with no judder and freedom of no-wires. Immersion central!

This is the cable I got if it's any use to anyone: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B018KH7Q3S/

This is how I'm gonna VR henceforth (I'll keep the Link cable just as a backup, but I reckon it won't get a look-in 90% of the time).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

I have tried using a CAT5 to the laptop and running a 5ghz hotspot on the laptop, Virtual Dsktop works quite well for Alyx.

Getting the hotspot to work with the Quest was a pain (IP configuration Failure messages), Win10 has a few bugs around Hotspots so you have to manually go into the adapter and enable sharing in its properties but one it is up it is rock solid, the limiting factor now is the 1060 in my Omen laptop.

I was going to order a 5ghz router but this works fine for now.

• Advertisement

fenris wrote: »
    I have tried using a CAT5 to the laptop and running a 5ghz hotspot on the laptop, Virtual Dsktop works quite well for Alyx.

Getting the hotspot to work with the Quest was a pain (IP configuration Failure messages), Win10 has a few bugs around Hotspots so you have to manually go into the adapter and enable sharing in its properties but one it is up it is rock solid, the limiting factor now is the 1060 in my Omen laptop.

I was going to order a 5ghz router but this works fine for now.

I asked Guy (the Virtual Desktop dev) if hotspots were a workable solution but he recommended the 5GHz router was the way to go and said hotspot adapters didn't really work well.

I checked with my ISP and they sent me on a replacement router with 5GHz for free so might be worth checking with yours. If they rename the SSID and password to match your existing router then you don't need to re-add all your wifi devices again, you just replace the router and switch on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

There was definitely a bit of work involved in getting the hotspot to work properly on Win10.
    It is worth checking the bitrates on the 5ghz routers as they are definitely not created equally, so I was doing a bit of research into what routers will actually give you the bandwidth, most do not.
    A lot of the so called gaming routers seem to charge a premium for the number of extra pointy corners and bits or red trim that they attach rather than by throughput and low latency!
    So it looks to me like the best options are to use some of the enterprise style units like some of the Ubiquiti boxes, naturally that has me looking into redoing my home networks completely, working from home and streaming teens = bad combination, I am seriously considering giving them a dose of the Upsidedownternet or similar! (I do remember seeing a version that just slightly blurs everything)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,813 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Just ordered a 64GB Quest from the company store. At last something to kill the empty lockdown hours:D

Edit: Or maybe not. My shipping address is invalid apparently

Lads, any help here?
    I’m fairly useless when it comes to networking.
    I’m looking to set up a network solution to play games over Virtual Desktop on quest.
    This is my current set up.
    Before I go out a buy a gaming laptop or PC, I’d just like to know if the following set up would be okay for playing over VD.
    Or are there any recommendations that anyone could make?
    The issue I have is my ISP enters the area at an awkward position, (storage area under stairs)
    The setup is all on the bottom floor.
    Ideally, I’d like to stay away from powerline adapters, but any help would be appreciated.

Edit: Or maybe not. My shipping address is invalid apparently

Their system don't like our Eircodes. It's pretty ridiculous. 4 orders I've had with them and all have had invalid shipping address.

You have to get onto their support chat/email and they'll sort it after reconfirming your address with you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement