Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

o1s1n wrote: »
    These are fantastic:

QuxdeUG.jpg

So, thanks to O1s we all now know what the Starfox team members look like when they climax

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    So, thanks to O1s we all now know what the Starfox team members look like when they climax

What in the jesus is going on in your head that made you think of that! :pac::pac:

So, anyone here going to try and pre-order the Analogue Pocket today? Think it's 4pm our time. Do they take payment straight away or when it ships does anyone know? Just curious. Defo not getting it ofc. :P

Also, finally got myself a daycent 4k TV and decided to see what all the HDR fuss is about - Shadow of the Colossus on the PS4 Pro looks gorgeous indeed! Might try and finish the game this time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Andrew76 wrote: »
    What in the jesus is going on in your head that made you think of that! :pac::pac:

You really don't want to know!

So, anyone here going to try and pre-order the Analogue Pocket today? Think it's 4pm our time. Do they take payment straight away or when it ships does anyone know? Just curious. Defo not getting it ofc. :P

I'm going to give it a go, fingers crossed...
    Also, finally got myself a daycent 4k TV and decided to see what all the HDR fuss is about - Shadow of the Colossus on the PS4 Pro looks gorgeous indeed! Might try and finish the game this time.

SotC is stunning, and now I have to get a 4K telly and a PS4 Pro!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,764 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Assuming it is the Pocket, and Analogue aren't trolling everyone again, then yes, they take the money straight away. Plus add on 50 dollars shipping (can't imagine the Pocket being any different to the previous devices).
    Duty then down the line as well more than likely.

Would be nice if they done a European tie-in like one of the limited Mega SG runs to save some dough, but unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

SotC is stunning, and now I have to get a 4K telly and a PS4 Pro!

I'd advise getting a higher model LG for the variable refresh rate(both G Sync and Freesync compatible) and 4k 120fps support.

The new 48 inch oled is probably the best gaming monitor on the market atm, pricey at €1500 though. The 55 inch model can be gotten for an additional €300.

• Advertisement

I'd advise getting a higher model LG for the variable refresh rate(both G Sync and Freesync compatible) and 4k 120fps support.

The new 48 inch oled is probably the best gaming monitor on the market atm, pricey at €1500 though. The 55 inch model can be gotten for an additional €300.

I have a perfectly good non-4K Samsung at present, and have really no interest in replacing it just yet.
    But, with the PS5 incoming...

I have a perfectly good non-4K Samsung at present, and have really no interest in replacing it just yet.
    But, with the PS5 incoming...

Same, strongly considering that LG Oled. Hopefully it gets a hefty discount next spring when it goes oop, the 55 inch of last years model dropped from €1800 to €1350, it would be a bargain if it dropped to near the 1k mark.

Same, strongly considering that LG Oled. Hopefully it gets a hefty discount next spring when it goes oop, the 55 inch of last years model dropped from €1800 to €1350, it would be a bargain if it dropped to near the 1k mark.

Yeah last year's LG C9 would be my pick if I was getting a TV for gaming use, you're saving a lot over the CX for pretty much the same features.

Yeah last year's LG C9 would be my pick if I was getting a TV for gaming use, you're saving a lot over the CX for pretty much the same features.

Not easy to find the C9 atm. The price of the 55 inch CX should drop down to where the C9 ended up though around February.

I'll still be looking at the 48 though, better size for me despite the small price difference between it and the 55.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,544 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

55 inches? Jesus, would that not look a bit like this in your average Irish living room?

flaherty-1-1024x526.png

• Advertisement

55 inches? Jesus, would that not look a bit like this in your average Irish living room?

flaherty-1-1024x526.png

Have a 55 inch plasma in the living room, massive yoke. Modern 55 inch sets are quite a bit smaller due to the bezels all but disappearing on them.

Have a 55 inch plasma in the living room, massive yoke. Modern 55 inch sets are quite a bit smaller due to the bezels all but disappearing on them.

Yeah 55" isn't that big these days, perfect size for a bedroom imo. :D

I'll wait for the Lidl/Aldi version, with a built-in VCR....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I went with a 2019 Samsung Q70 QLED rather than a smaller OLED. It was a tough decision not going with OLED in this day and age but I'm very happy with my choice, the contrast ratio and full array local dimming give it very good colours and black levels for an LED panel. I have a square living room so the smaller OLED would have been undersized for my viewing distance.

It depends on what your upgrading too, I replaced a 2015 LG 4K 3D that didn't have the best picture quality in the segment but had a very clear panel so anything 4K would always look good so it never bother me but the difference to the higher end panel in the Q70 is night and day.

Master of the Universe

I picked up a 43 inch Sony XG80 at Christmas to try out 4K gaming with the XB1.

I think it was about 800 euro at the time? Not high end by any margin but the picture quality is absolutely gorgeous and I'm delighted with it.

Saying that, it's the first new TV I've bought since 2008 so I might be easy to impress. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,856 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Very true. My 4 year old was giving out that her nanny only had a 50" tv when she was visiting and watching cartoons("why does nana only have a small tv dada?").
    Kids these days, they'll never know the life of gaming on a 14" black and white crt in your bedroom and loving it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I was in Harvey Norman in Tralee on Saturday. They had a 85 inch Sony 4K TV! :eek:

Have a 50 inch plasma here as the main TV and the 50 inches looked tiny in comparison to the 85. I noticed a majority of the TVs were 55 inch and bigger.

A little non retro but are many of ye are going to be buying into the next gen consoles? For the first time since the SNES/MD days I have no interest in the new consoles. A busy job with 2 kids under 3 means any new console would be wasted on me, gathering dust in the corner.

I could be swayed by an updated Switch though, the Switch is a great console if you're busy, 90% of my gaming is now on it, my PS4 and Xbox One are looking very sad.

Steve X2 wrote: »
    Very true. My 4 year old was giving out that her nanny only had a 50" tv when she was visiting and watching cartoons("why does nana only have a small tv dada?").
    Kids these days, they'll never know the life of gaming on a 14" black and white crt in your bedroom and loving it.

One does not require a 65" 4K UHD TV to watch Paw Patrol and Baby Shark videos.

I had a 14" portable in the front room (never used aside from Sundays) and my Spectrum!
    Colour clash?
    What colour clash?

Master of the Universe

I was in Harvey Norman in Tralee on Saturday. They had a 85 inch Sony 4K TV! :eek:

Have a 50 inch plasma here as the main TV and the 50 inches looked tiny in comparison to the 85. I noticed a majority of the TVs were 55 inch and bigger.

A little non retro but are many of ye are going to be buying into the next gen consoles? For the first time since the SNES/MD days I have no interest in the new consoles. A busy job with 2 kids under 3 means any new console would be wasted on me, gathering dust in the corner.

I could be swayed by an updated Switch though, the Switch is a great console if you're busy, 90% of my gaming is now on it, my PS4 and Xbox One are looking very sad.

I'll be playing the XB1 and Switch for many years to come, feel like I've only scratched the surface with both consoles!

Never really was one to buy consoles on release, apart from Nintendo ones of course.

Master of the Universe

One does not require a 65" 4K UHD TV to watch Paw Patrol and Baby Shark videos.

I had a 14" portable in the front room (never used aside from Sundays) and my Spectrum!
    Colour clash?
    What colour clash?

I do miss my 14 inch Telefunken, was RF only but I didn't know anything else back then. I don't think I actually used RGB at all until the PS2 days.

Mad how you threw out working tvs back in the day. That worked 100% but I got rid of it as my folks got a new living room TV, so I took the 19 inch Mitsubishi one that was down there instead for my bedroom.

Upgraded to a 25 inch Mitsubishi and the 19 inch one went to the recycling centre then, again, fully functional!

Shame I didn't start hoarding CRTs years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

One does not require a 65" 4K UHD TV to watch Paw Patrol and Baby Shark videos
    I beg to differ sir! :D but I sit far far away from it

DaveyDave wrote: »
    I went with a 2019 Samsung Q70 QLED rather than a smaller OLED. It was a tough decision not going with OLED in this day and age but I'm very happy with my choice, the contrast ratio and full array local dimming give it very good colours and black levels for an LED panel. I have a square living room so the smaller OLED would have been undersized for my viewing distance.

It depends on what your upgrading too, I replaced a 2015 LG 4K 3D that didn't have the best picture quality in the segment but had a very clear panel so anything 4K would always look good so it never bother me but the difference to the higher end panel in the Q70 is night and day.

That sounds savage! I was thinking about a 65" OLED for the bedroom but the missus convinced me it would look silly big, so decided to drop down to 55" but get a better panel (she was correct for once :P). It was an upgrade from a 48" Samsung LCD non-4K, so while the increase in size isn't all that much, the picture quality is streets ahead. Actually, what makes me smile is the black levels, no more light bleed crap in dark scenes. :)
    I picked up a 43 inch Sony XG80 at Christmas to try out 4K gaming with the XB1.

I think it was about 800 euro at the time? Not high end by any margin but the picture quality is absolutely gorgeous and I'm delighted with it.

Saying that, it's the first new TV I've bought since 2008 so I might be easy to impress. :eek:

I'm similar in that I wouldn't be buying TVs all that often and literally only upgraded this time because the youngest threw the remote at it. Bedroom is locked most of the tie these days, learned my lesson.

My eldest has mentioned the Series X for sometime next year, mostly because his mates are in the Xbox ecosystem. I like the look of the PS5 but won't be getting it at launch. Neither of them are doing much for me atm, still have so many games to catch up on in the current gen tbh.

/Edit: 10 minutes to go for the Analogue Pocket pre-orders. :)

Actually looks like the preorders for the Pocket are next week.

Not shipping for a year.

Analogue are magnificent prickteasers to be fair :)

McDermotX wrote: »
    Actually looks like the preorders for the Pocket are next week.

Not shipping for a year.

Analogue are magnificent prickteasers to be fair :)

Just had a look there and yeah, pre-orders not open til August 3rd and ships May 2021. $100 for the dock, $30 each for the adapters.

https://www.analogue.co/store#pocket

Surprised at the Dock price, was expecting that to top the 100 dollar mark by a distance.

Still interested and will look at it again next week, but its a long oul wait, which no doubt will be explained with the Corona, in the same way the NT Mini Noir got pushed.

But at least Analogue have pushed the date now as opposed to waiting a week or two prior to the inital expected date of the NT.

Fully expect their Twitter to blow up of course :)

At least they are limiting to two per order. That'll stop some scalpers.

Master of the Universe

I didn't realise there was going to be a NGP adapter for it, really tempted now!

I'm going to order one anyway and the dock, looks like a beautiful piece of kit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

My parents have a really long narrow living room so having the seating at the back with the TV at the other ends the only config makes sense. That means I'm 7m from the TV. They insisted 43inch was plenty big it's like watching a postage stamp at that distance compared to my computer monitor.

I don't get why you'd pay the premium for an analogue pocket when there are so many good Chinese handhelds. I don't really like handhelds though so maybe they're not what they're cracked up to be?

Master of the Universe

Marketing is a powerful tool!

Analogue have theirs down expertly, everything from absolutely gorgeous mockups on the website to all of the wanky blurbs to go with it.

Chinese products on the other hand, have a combination of Engrish, historically dodgy production and no flair whatsoever.

I usually don't particularly care for Analogue's products, however this one hits a pretty important corner of the market by both looking gorgeous and allowing the use of original carts.

I have yet to come across a Chinese product with a nice screen which will allow me to play my collection of NGP carts for example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Marketing is a powerful tool!

Analogue have theirs down expertly, everything from absolutely gorgeous mockups on the website to all of the wanky blurbs to go with it.

Chinese products on the other hand, have a combination of Engrish, historically dodgy production and no flair whatsoever.

I usually don't particularly care for Analogue's products, however this one hits a pretty important corner of the market by both looking gorgeous and allowing the use of original carts.

I have yet to come across a Chinese product with a nice screen which will allow me to play my collection of NGP carts for example.

Yeah I agree with Analogue. Their marketing team is top notch. Reading through that pocket page hade even considering a pre order. The device itself is super slick looking. Marketing it to people the same way phones are, just vomiting specs and technical blurbs at people. Definitely works

Advertisement