Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stephen King's The Dark Tower

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

Heckler wrote: »
    http://stephenking.com/darktower/book/

It gets a bit complicated !

It certainly is complicated. The only ones i didnt read were The wind through the keyhole and Little sisters of eluria. I knew there was some i hadnt read. Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,320 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I had read the first 5 not including that 4.5 book years ago but don't know if it would be worth my while going back now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Big King fan but I only ever read The Gunslinger from this series, found it really boring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Big King fan but I only ever read The Gunslinger from this series, found it really boring.

The Gunslinger just serves to introduce Roland and his quest.

The Drawing of the Three and The Wastelands are where it picks up.

What I love about the series is how it ties in with other King novels, crossing over between our world and Mid World along various time lines
    It brings in characters and locations from The Stand, Eyes of the Dragon, Salems Lot, the world inhabited by King himself.

I think its an exceptionally clever series of books. Admittedly I am a King fan boy and have been for 25 years but I genuinely marvel about how well worked the whole thing is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

What I love about the series is how it ties in with other King novels, crossing over between our world and Mid World along various time lines
    It brings in characters and locations from The Stand, Eyes of the Dragon, Salems Lot, the world inhabited by King himself.

I think its an exceptionally clever series of books. Admittedly I am a King fan boy and have been for 25 years but I genuinely marvel about how well worked the whole thing is.

While i didnt mind the cross over stuff, it really grind my gears with
    introducing himself into the books

• Advertisement

While i didnt mind the cross over stuff, it really grind my gears with
    introducing himself into the books

While it was undoubtedly a bit egotistical, I do have to admit I got a bit of a kick out of it.

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Wasn't a lot of that crossover
    from other king books
    not just inserted in when he did a slight rewrite of them in the 00s.

Yeah it's stated The Man in Black (RF) is the same character from several of his novels.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

It was wirtten very early in his career, so you will be happy to know that stylistically its very different from the other books. Or maybe its just that he had other characters to interact with throughout the other books!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Lu Tze wrote: »
    It was wirtten very early in his career, so you will be happy to know that stylistically its very different from the other books. Or maybe its just that he had other characters to interact with throughout the other books!

I dunno if I want to get into the series, it's just so long!

• Advertisement

I smashed the whole series out in a month and half while traveling in Oz.

Lot of talk that that Nikolaj Arcel who recently directed A Royal Affair and wrote the scripts for the Millennium trilogy (Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and sequels) is going to be taking over writing and directing the Dark Tower.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Lot of that that Nikolaj Arcel who recently directed A Royal Affair and wrote the scripts for the Millennium trilogy (Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and sequels) is going to be taking over writing and directing the Dark Tower.

There's gonna be a Dark Tower movie? Excellent. I assume they're going to make it one movie per book, which should make Wizard and Glass interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

Thats great news. But a movie can never match the book. So much more depth.

Sony Pictures announced release dates for new movies in the next two years with the first installment for The Dark Tower (allegedly) coming on 13th of January 2017. No word of a cast yet so Im still sceptical but it seems to be moving in the right direction.

Source

• Registered Users Posts: 60,348 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

So they are still trying to make it happen.

Matthew McConaughey Offered Villain Role in Stephen King’s ‘The Dark Tower’
    Matthew McConaughey has set his sights on an iconic Stephen King villain.

Sources tell Variety that Sony wants McConaughey to play Walter Padick — aka the Man in Black — in Sony and MRC’s adaptation of King’s “The Dark Tower” franchise. McConaughey has just received the script and has not yet decided whether he will star.

Sony and MRC declined to comment.

Padick is a demonic sorcerer who Roland “the gunslinger” pursues in the first book. The character first appears in “The Stand” and goes by the name of Randall Flagg, a character that McConaughey was also offered to play. “The Gunslinger” will be the first in a series of films.

Nikolaj Arcel is directing the movie, which is currently set to bow on Jan. 13, 2017.

The first book, “The Gunslinger,” has already been adapted by Akiva Goldsman and Jeff Pinkner. Goldsman and Imagine Entertainment’s Brian Grazer, Ron Howard and Erica Huggins will produce, while Pinkner will exec produce.

Sony will distribute the pic. MRC will also develop a TV series to go along with the film franchise.

https://variety.com/2015/film/news/matthew-mcconaughey-dark-tower-stephen-king-villain-1201637643/?preview_id=1201637643&preview_nonce=e5c047016e

Idris Elba in the running for Roland according to Bloody Disgusting, on mobile so can't link.

I like him as an actor but as the craggy, weather beaten, cold blooded killer that is Roland Deschain?

Nope.

Hopefully its just nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,348 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Deadline going with the Idris Elba story now.

Idris Elba Front-runner To Play Roland Deschain In ‘The Dark Tower’
    EXCLUSIVE: Sony Pictures and Media Rights Capital may just have found their lead gunslinger for The Dark Tower, the Stephen King novel series set in a world woven with magic and revolving around the gunslinger Roland Deschain. I’m told that Idris Elba has emerged as the front-runner to play Deschain. He would square off against Matthew McConaughey, who’s in talks to play the villainous Man in Black. Nikolaj Arcel is directing.

There is no deal yet, and nobody would comment for the story. But this would give Elba that long-awaited star vehicle that has seemed inevitable, coming after all of the speculative questions over whether the 007 franchise would install an actor of color into the iconic James Bond role after Elba was mentioned as a strong possibility to replace Daniel Craig. King wrote the Deschain character as white — at least that is how he is depicted in the book cover illustrations — but in Elba they get a top actor who has shown in the BBC series Luther and other works that he is a movie star with swagger.

He is currently in the Oscar mix for his performance in Beasts Of No Nation, the Cary Joji Fukunaga-directed first feature for Netflix. All this makes him a fresh choice to play Deschain. The recent discussions narrowed down to Elba and Javier Bardem (who circled a previous version of the project), and really, either guy brightens up what is shaping up to be a most intriguing iteration of a franchise that had many false starts at Universal and then at Warner Bros, before MRC and Imagine and Weed Road brought it to Tom Rothman at Sony Pictures.

McConaughey came into the picture recently, and the project really got a boost when they hired Arcel, the Danish helmer of the Oscar-nominated A Royal Affair and also the co-writer of the Swedish film version of the Stieg Larsson novel The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. Arcel, who just turned in a script for a Robert F. Kennedy film that Matt Damon will star in for Warner Bros, has been working with fellow Danish filmmaker Anders Thomas Jensen on a rewrite of the script, the last draft of which was written by Akiva Goldsman and Jeff Pinkner. Jensen is a prolific writer-director who won the Oscar for his short film Election Night.

Sony will distribute what is planned to be the first in a series of Dark Tower movies. A complementary TV series is also being developed by MRC. Producing are Weed Road’s Goldsman and Imagine Entertainment’s Brian Grazer, Ron Howard and Erica Huggins. King is also a producer. That quartet has been involved in this franchise since the beginning, and MRC kept it going after Universal and then Warner Bros developed it and then dropped out. Pinkner is en exec producer.

First installment of the Dark Tower focuses on the first book in the series, The Gunslinger, establishing the relationship between Roland and young protege Jake Chambers. After a quick pass at the script, they will start casting the gunslinger — Bardem and Russell Crowe flirted with the role in past iterations — and the young protege.

http://deadline.com/2015/12/idris-elba-the-dark-tower-stephen-king-matthew-mcconaughey-1201663530/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭weemcd

It's a bit out from left field but if Elba and McConaughey are attached to this it could be fantastic.

Interesting choice of Idris Elba.

In my head he was always Clint Eastwood or Daniel Craig.

• Advertisement

Interesting choice of Idris Elba.

In my head he was always Clint Eastwood or Daniel Craig.

A young Clint for sure, around his Sergio Leone run would have been perfect.

I think having an established actor in the role may not be such a good idea though, I'd rather see an up and coming or unheard of person rather than someone like DC.

A young Clint for sure, around his Sergio Leone run would have been perfect.

I think having an established actor in the role may not be such a good idea though, I'd rather see an up and coming or unheard of person rather than someone like DC.

Yeah there's always the risk of an actor out shining the character. An unknown actor would be great for Roland. Saying that, I never would've considered Idris Elba in a million years but think it would work.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Love Idris Elba, but he ain't no "Honky mahfah"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Currently rereading these. I don't see how it will work on the big screen.

Currently rereading these. I don't see how it will work on the big screen.

Very difficult. I don't know how they'd approach Detta/Odetta

weemcd wrote: »
    Very difficult. I don't know how they'd approach Detta/Odetta

Similar to Smeagol/Gollum I suppose. I can't imagine it would be much harder to film than Game of Thrones to be honest. The landscapes don't change too drastically, there's desert, forest, cities, a train, basically the usual fare for fiction. The more fantastical elements such as the Dr Doom wolves, Rhea, and most of the
    the travel between world's that happens with Fr Callaghan and Meeting Stephen King
    will come as surprises but should be no more difficult than The Nights King scene in the Game of Thrones episode 'Hardhome'. With a good team that loves this series we should be in for a treat...

GerB40 wrote: »
    Similar to Smeagol/Gollum I suppose. I can't imagine it would be much harder to film than Game of Thrones to be honest. The landscapes don't change too drastically, there's desert, forest, cities, a train, basically the usual fare for fiction. The more fantastical elements such as the Dr Doom wolves, Rhea, and most of the
    the travel between world's that happens with Fr Callaghan and Meeting Stephen King
    will come as surprises but should be no more difficult than The Nights King scene in the Game of Thrones episode 'Hardhome'. With a good team that loves this series we should be in for a treat...

I was thinking more along the lines of how will they portray her as a
    character with no legs in parts, then have her walking in others. Eddie has to carry her through large parts of the books in a sling, difficult to film. Also potentially a bit demeaning if not done tastefully.
    Do you know what I mean?

weemcd wrote: »
    I was thinking more along the lines of how will they portray her as a
    character with no legs in parts, then have her walking in others. Eddie has to carry her through large parts of the books in a sling, difficult to film. Also potentially a bit demeaning if not done tastefully.
    Do you know what I mean?

They managed it in Forest Gump and that was 20 odd years ago so something like that wouldn't be of any concern.

They managed it in Forest Gump and that was 20 odd years ago so something like that wouldn't be of any concern.

Lol very good point. I suppose cgi solves all these problems now anyway

• Advertisement

I actually think Hallie Berry would make a good Detta/Odetta

Advertisement