Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin Q or Bust: Road to sub 2:45

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Some brilliant training being logged here.

I'd long forgotten that you were a DCM 2016 Graduate, until I spotted one of your posts while dusting off the cobwebs from that thread recently. Unbelievable progression over the marathon distance in the space of three years. Keep up the good work!
    What was your time in 2016?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

What was your time in 2016?

2016 Graduate....2015 Novice :)

a hard earned 3:39:52 in 2015, a relatively straight forward 3:19:07 in 2016 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Duanington

healy1835 wrote: »
    2016 Graduate....2015 Novice :)

a hard earned 3:39:52 in 2015, a relatively straight forward 3:19:07 in 2016 :)

A relatively straight forward marathon, one can only dream

Duanington wrote: »
    A relatively straight forward marathon, one can only dream

Well I did add in 'relatively' ;)

Thu: 12.3k: 58:58 @4:48/km

Had one of those days in work that saw me questioning the merits of returning the following day......but a couple of laps of the Curragh Racecourse with no-one else in sight sorted me out :)

Fri: AM: 10k: 49:33 @4:57/km

Out the door for 5:30am to get this one in.

PM: 9k: 44:16 @4:55/km

Trot across the plains.

Sat: Session 3x2 Miles off 5mins (walk) recoveries

11:27, 11:17, 11:23

Did these in the camp on my regular tempo loop. 11:20/11:30 was the target range. The recoveries meant I could have a decent rattle at each interval. Had to check myself after the 2nd as i was a little hot but, like last week, I just felt really strong. Building nicely.

Just over 20k for the day inc w/u & c/d

Sun: 28k Easy: 2:15:49 @4:51/km

Everyone from the club seemed to be racing this weekend, a good few down in Charleville. Saw a few results come in before I started this run, the majority of which seemed to have tough days. Racing really is on the day, i need to remind myself of this sometimes. It's easy to tell others that they've had great training blocks and they're in better shape than their result suggests, not so much telling yourself the same thing! Anyway, instructions came down the line to take this run very easy, and indeed the coming week a little easier than planned. Hoping to have a strong showing in the PP this Saturday. LR was wet and boring, but felt easy.

120k for the week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Best of luck Saturday J, don’t think you’ll throw the towel in this time!!! Run well man!!!

OOnegative wrote: »
    Best of luck Saturday J, don’t think you’ll throw the towel in this time!!! Run well man!!!

Jesus I wasn't even thinking of that.....aaaaarrrrrgggggghhhhhhhh ;) cheers B, i can guarantee that will not be happening! Think it's gonna be a good one......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Good luck tomorrow J.

1:19:40 PB on a tough day for it on a tough course......very happy. Will throw up a report later :) thanks to my fitness consigliere Skyblue for helping out with a gel at 10k :) and to AMK for the multiple shout outs!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Savage running. Well done and congrats on the PB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Deadly stuff J. Dunno why but I thought you ran quicker in Sept last year on the same weekend as Charleville.

Dublin Half Marathon Report

There's no denying that this race had been looming large in my ceann since the Frank Duffy dnf. A seed of doubt had been planted and whilst i'd gone out and raced well in a 5 Miler the following week and knocked out an angry sub 48min 8 mile tempo, i was really hoping for a strong showing here. The fact that it was basically the Frank Duffy course +5k made it easier to motivate myself. I also really love this race! My 4th time racing it and I've always ran well despite it being a tough route in my opinion.

As the week went on I was actually feeling really good. Had a 10x300 hills session on Wed, 10k on Thu and took yesterday off. Skyblue was kind enough to say yes when i asked him to meet me on the course with a gel, so i was all set and ready to go with a really clear game plan in my mind.....then the strength and, more importantly direction, of the wind became apparent. Didn't change a whole lot, some sections got easier, some harder but that sort of wind in the PP is never really appreciated.

Met Sean and gave him the gel and set off for a bit of a warm up and then onto the start line. Despite the first 3k being downhill and downwind I was determined not to go off too hard. Conservatism was the name of the game until I got off the North Road. First 3 k came in at 3:44, 3;42 & 3:44 which given the favourable gradient and helping wind were ran with the handbrake on. I didn't feel like i was racing at all here. Had a few guys tagged who are usually around me in races that must have went out at 5:40 pace for the first couple of miles. I was content to let them go, having a fair idea that they would regret it later.

Working now up through the s bends and against the wind. Already some of the fast starters are coming back to me. I just settle into a rhythm here, knowing that a few seconds will be lost but not chasing it. Km 4 & 5 3:45 & 3:47.

Big drag up to to Chesterfield from the Magazine fort, was sitting on a couple of groups to shelter a bit, still holding back but feeling strong on the uphills. Kms 6&7 3:49 & 3:49

Passing the zoo now and where i pulled the plug last month. Had a little chuckle to myself about how good i was feeling now. On to the North Road, which now, thanks to the helping breeze wasn't quite the proposition it usually would be. Got a welcome shout out from AMK and then was delighted to see Sean and get the gel just after the water stop and really just felt like i was gliding over the surface here. Kms 8-10 3:43, 3:46 & 3:47.
    Through 10k in 37:36

About turn on the avenue and the strength of the wind gave a hint of how tough the longer section later on would be. Still not pushing things yet, moving nicely towards Whites gate. Kms 11&12 3:45, 3:44.

Plan for Whites Rd was just to keep it under 4mins/km pace. Ended up going 3:57 but passed about 4 guys. Felt really strong. The plan was always to recover a bit on the Tower rd downhill section as (a) im not very good at downhills and (b) i wasn't going to attack until 10 miles. But mostly for the first reason! 3:45 for the km downhill, all 4 guys that id passed on the uphill caught back up to me! They must have thought i'd emptied the reserves going up the hill :) tipping now as we get back into the park, and by the time id passed the water station i was back ahead of the 4 guys again! 3:44 & 3:44 for the kms back around to Chesterfield Ave.

Through 10 miles on my watch in 60:25 but 61 mins on the course. The 10 mile marker was definitely way off. Now problems are beginning to arise. This was the area that id planned on starting my kick for home, but the breeze is pretty awful. Suddenly this downhill section is not very enticing. Just dig in and you'll be off it soon enough. However, i'm leaking valuable seconds here. I start to regret starting so conservatively now.....but soon enough we're off it. 3:51 for the km into the breeze.

NOW it's time to see what's in the legs. I make up my mind to go hard and if things go south then so be it. Luckily enough i fall in with two other guys and the 3 of us are tipping down acres, passing a good few here. Kms of 3:37 and 3:34 :o bring me to the bottom of the Upper Glen. If i don't blow im going to PB, however it's uphill and into the breeze.....There's a few guys who have detonated ahead of me, but our group of 3 is still working well together. A hard earned 3:50 km gets me to 20k, but the last km and a bit is not easy and i can feel the lactic acid in the legs now.

But all i have to do is dig in for 4 more minutes or so I tell myself. 3:38 for km 21 and then finish strong, with another nice AMK shout out, for a 1:19:40 PB (19 secs).

Delighted with that. Tough conditions on a tricky route. Ran the smartest race i've ran yet. Started conservatively, attacked when i could, held back when i needed to and finished strong up the hill into the wind to get a PB. A great day. Back on track.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

Great running

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Brilliant. Great racing. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Excellent execution there J! Sounds like you couldn't have run it any better on the day. Seriously good position too!

Deadly stuff J. Dunno why but I thought you ran quicker in Sept last year on the same weekend as Charleville.

1:19:59......still smile when i think about it! Late surge got me under the 80.....and inspired you to do the same if i recall :) do you still have the HM pb over me? ;) very close i think.....

healy1835 wrote:
    1:19:59......still smile when i think about it! Late surge got me under the 80.....and inspired you to do the same if i recall do you still have the HM pb over me? very close i think.....

You sure did. 1.19.55 and limped over the line with cramp. Haha. Seems like a long time ago! So you've got me on the HM front. And yours on a tougher course.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

That was a super run J, the smile of contentedness on your face after the race!!! FD10 well and truly banished.

thanks for all the nice stuff said :) eyes are still on the DCM prize, but you have to enjoy the journey too, a PB is a PB and all that.

Light hill session Wed to wake up the legs and a 36k LR on the DCM route Sat morning with a buddy who's making his marathon debut in Oct (who also just ran a 1:19 HM in his debut over that distance! )

Was mooching around on Strava looking at some of the recent Half Marathons.....that Waterford Greenway Half, negative elevation of almost 100m by my reckoning! Anyone know anybody who ran it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

healy1835 wrote:
    Was mooching around on Strava looking at some of the recent Half Marathons.....that Waterford Greenway Half, negative elevation of almost 100m by my reckoning! Anyone know anybody who ran it?

I was supposed to do it :(
    My brother has ran it the last 2 years, wasn't well this year but did great last year. If the wind isn't against you, it can be nice and fast apparently!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Super stuff J, the demons of FD truly slayed and a great boost confidence wise heading into last month of training for DCM, in serious shape!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

healy1835 wrote: »

Looking at the results, I think you'll get a bit lonely out there.

11 under 1.20 and only 6 people between 1.16-1.20

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Brilliant running J, congrats on the PB.
    You are looking good for a serious assault on DCM.

Sun: 13.2k Recovery: 1:06:11@5:04/km

Mon: 14k: 1:10:51 @5:03/km

Wet and windy amble around the plains

Tue: AM: 7.3k: 35:13 @4:50/km
    PM: 8.2k: 38:54 @4:45/km

Pair of commutes.

Wed: 15.2k inc 2miles @2:52MP with buddy who was off to Berlin.

Thu: 13.1k: 1:02:20 @4:46/km

3 laps of the racecourse. Awful windy out there!

Fri: AM: 7.5k: 37:00 @4:56/km
    Gear was drenched after this. Got a lift back from work instead if running home....but got out again later.
    PM: 5Miles: 37:54 @4:42/km

Sat: LR 36.2k: 2:41:10 @4:27/km

After dropping a couple of buddies up to the Airport to go Berlin, I went across to town and met another mate for a LR on the last 36k of the DCM route. I still have 4 weeks left, but this was a big run and really wanted to have a good one. Buddy parked in his workplace in town and I drove to the PP where we set out from around the Zoo. Plan was 10k@4:40, 10k@4:30, 10k@4:20 & 6k @however we were feeling :)

Pretty much went to plan, wind was against us on Chesterfield and up through Crumlin which was a bit grim, but felt strong throughout. Gave the Maurten gels one last chance (jesus their marketing is good!) and had one normal & two of the new caffeine gels with me. Only got two down, stomach ropey after the first at 10k, doing somersaults after the 2nd at 20k. Last 10 miles were a weird amalgam of feeling amazing and focusing on not spewing up on the roadside :o possibly have a box of the maurten caffeine gels coming back from Berlin, so if anyone wants to take them off my hands drop me a DM ;) wound it up the last 6k and felt really strong. I absolutely could have kept going for 6 more km and cranked out a 3:05 marathon.

Sun: 13k Recovery: 1:05:17 @5:01/km
    Spent the morning watching and tracking the Berlin Marathon. What a race! Bekele is back (again) baby! Would love to see him and Kipchoge going at it next year in Berlin (with me on the course hopefully). Two buddies ran PB's so that saw me taking to the roads for a recovery run both pumped for them and deflated that i wasn't there. Next year maybe......master plan would be to run sub 2:45 in Rotterdam next April and get a fast runner time for the following year. But that's pie in the sky for the moment. DCM is 4 weeks out, eyes are on the prize.

122.5k for the week. Wife was away in Edinburgh for work for a good bit of the week so this was the absolute max mileage i reckon i could have ran!

T-4 weeks :o

Mon: 15k Easy: 1:11:33 @4:46/km
    Was collecting my 2 mates from the airport so I nipped up to the PP and did a few easy miles on part of the DCM route.

Tue: 2 x 7.5k Commutes
    Was a bit tired on way home so I didn't go home the usual longer 11k route.

Wed: Session 5x1 Mile (@5:40) off 2mins

Was meant to be 6, but got caught short for time and wanted to get a decent cool down in (don't want to f*%k things up at this stage).

5:49, 5:39, 5:40, 5:38, 5:38

Strict instructions to not go faster than 5:40's. I pretty much held up my end and after the first rep, managed to lock into the prescribed pace. It's great to look back at progression in the same session over the period of this training block.

Still have a few sessions to go before i could feel like I'm on any sort of taper. 10x1k on Saturday, last 20 miler Sunday. Then a 400's session and an 8 Mile tempo the following week.

Super stuff J and great to see your mental progression. I'm not sure the J from 12 months ago would've sacrafice a rep for a good cool down.

Super stuff J and great to see your mental progression. I'm not sure the J from 12 months ago would've sacrafice a rep for a good cool down.

That is probably true P. I've become a lot more disciplined in my interval sessions this block. Apart from an 8 Mile tempo a couple of weeks back, I've pretty much stuck to the plan. It was actually this time last year I did that ridiculous 6x1 mile session on the track....the mind still boggles.

Thu: 8.1k Easy: 38:58 @4:48/km
    Window for run got squeezed dramatically and this was all i could manage.

Fri: 15.1k Relaxed: 1:09:59 @4:38/km
    Got straight out after work and managed to find the only dry hour of the day :) found myself tipping along here without realising it.

Sat: Session 10x1k @3:30/km off 90 secs walk/jog recovery
    Took myself down to the track as per my instructions for this one.

3:27, 3:27, 3:27, 3:27, 3:28, 3:28, 3:24, 3:28, 3:28, 3:27

Felt really strong and controlled on this one. Walked for 60 secs and then jogged the last 30secs of recoveries. A couple of times id glance at the watch after 2/300m and realise i was moving at 3:15 pace and would have to check myself. This time last year i most likely would have went with that pace, but this 2019 version is made of more disciplined stuff ;) the 3:24 was definitely a GPS thing, no way was it that faster than the others.

Just under 19k for the day.

Sun: Zip

Alas i've been paid a visit by a (hopefully) 24hr bug, and have spent the day and night in close situ to the toilet rather than running my last 20 miler. Will just play the next day or two by ear and then see if i have to tweak things a little for the rest of the week. Better now than three weeks time i suppose.

Today aside, a strong week with 2 good sessions.

Mon: Zip

Tue: 5 Miles Easy: 37:54 @4:42/km
    Amble around the windy plains.

Wed: 13.1k Easy: 1:03:34 @4:51/km
    Slightly longer amble around the still windy plains.

Thu: 10k Shuffle: 54:23/km @5:26/km
    Very easy amble around the still windy plains.
    6k w/pooch c32mins

Have been left with strict instructions to run very easy this week (Tue and Wed weren't easy enough so I'm doing what I'm told!) up until tomorrow's 8 Mile Tempo @6:10/mile. If that feels a bit hot then I'll scale it back to MP. No point in pushing things now, although the body feels fine after a few easy days so I don't envisage there being a problem.

It's amazing how you start fretting after missing just the LR though (it was the final one though! :O ) I do have a good few banked so I'm probably worrying about nothing.....

• Advertisement

Fri: 17k Easy: 1:19:59 @4:42/km

Well as i was taking the week easy and not too bothered about mileage i wasn't too bothered about running yesterday as it wasn't going to be until 8/9pm that i got out, and with the last important session Sat morning, i didn't wanna run too late.....luckily my other half got home early from work and i was able to head out after school. Felt great after the easy running this week, decided to do about 8 miles but completely misjudged a route and ended up doing 17k :o felt fine after though.

Sat: 8 Mile tempo: 47:49 @3:43/km

Plan was for 6:05-6:00 range, with the proviso of maybe scaling back to MP if last weekend's bug caught up with me a little. Met my buddy who's running his first marathon in a fortnight's time, the two of us had just watched events in Vienna, so needless to say we were pretty pumped :) ended up dipping a little under prescribed pace but not by too much.

Pace picked up naturally as we went, but felt really controlled. Hard to believe we ended up averaging faster than HMP......really similar time to 8 Mile tempo a few weeks back when i wore the Next%'d for the first time, but today just felt far more straightforward. Went through 10k in around 37mins, both of us remarking on how good we felt. Anyway, good vibes aplenty after that. 2 weeks to go.

Just under 20k for the day.

Advertisement