Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

North Korea

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 391 ✭✭99problems1

skallywag wrote: »
    I agree with you completely, but the problem that I would have is that you are not going to get a chance to find anyone who is going to discuss openly with you, or get the chance to see how they really live there. It is simply just not going to happen. If you are satisfied with viewing the charade which will be put on then fine, but for me at least I would much rather travel alone to different parts of China, e.g. Beijing, some major industrial cities, country villages etc., where at least one will get the chance to encounter much more real life situations, without the need of a chaperone, albeit that folk will of course be somewhat guarded in what they say to you.

I had the chance to do so myself and really enjoyed it.

But that's the fascination - that the world you see is completely fake.

I have read from some that it would be impossible to fake though, how can you fake massive shopping centres for example?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Have you ever looked up the controversy around Nestle?

What's that got to do with North Korea?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

MadYaker wrote: »
    So if I choose not to go will the people of North Korea suddenly be freed? The situation is what it is and as long as China is propping up the regime nothing will change. Following that logic we shouldn’t visit China either as it’s their life support that’s keeping the country as is.

You can keep following the logic where ever you want. I didn't say anywhere that you'd somehow free the people by not going.

You should examine your conscience and see if it lets you subsidize this cruel regime, financially and in other ways (e.g propaganda) to satisfy your curiosity.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

You can keep following the logic where ever you want. I didn't say anywhere that you'd somehow free the people by not going.

You should examine your conscience and see if it lets you subsidize this cruel regime, financially and in other ways (e.g propaganda) to satisfy your curiosity.

I’d argue that exposure to westerners would actually help as much of the governments propaganda relies on demonizing westerners from the US and Europe etc.

They can manufacture photos of westerners bowing to statues if they want to, they don’t need it to actually happen.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Travel forum folks, not politics. Please try to address OPs question.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 391 ✭✭99problems1

What's that got to do with North Korea?

You didn't answer my question.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Munsterbhoy

I was following Alek Sigley s twitter page before he was deported back to Australia. Some Interesting pics from his experience there. Not sure if it was censored but gave a good outlook on life there..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭nsa0bupkd3948x

I agree with you completely, but the problem that I would have is that you are not going to get a chance to find anyone who is going to discuss openly with you, or get the chance to see how they really live there. It is simply just not going to happen.

Dunno about that. When I was there they were very open towards the end about there feelings towards the regime.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭skallywag

Dunno about that. When I was there they were very open towards the end about there feelings towards the regime.

OK, fair enough.

Did you get a chance to speak to locals directly without being within earshot of a chaperone?

OK, fair enough.

Did you get a chance to speak to locals directly without being within earshot of a chaperone?

Yes.

• Advertisement

Yes.

Did you speak via a translator or do you speak korean?

Did you speak via a translator or do you speak korean?

A lot in Pyonyang speak English. There where some Chinese on the tour that spoke Korean to translate but preferred to speak directly.

A lot in Pyonyang speak English.

That is very interesting and I would not have expected that.

In South Korea English is generally not spoken at all from what I experienced at least, and I found it very hard to strike up a conversation with most people.

This included those working in very advanced technical roles inside several different Samsung design centers which I visited, which surprised me, as the high end techies are usually very competent in English.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

A lot in Pyonyang speak English. There where some Chinese on the tour that spoke Korean to translate but preferred to speak directly.

Where did you meet all these people who spoke English?

Where did you meet all these people who spoke English?

Can't remember the name of the square but it was a national holiday so everyone was out dancing. Got to walk around a fair bit and struck up some conversations but there it was all pretty fake.

On the underground again but was very boring.

On the train from Dandong got abuse from one lad cause NK have been in world cup more recently than Ireland.

Obviously the most interesting was with your guide since we spent the most time together so was able to get her to open up more.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,678 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Check out Simon Wilson in YouTube, he's there currently.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 5,651 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Check out Simon Wilson in YouTube, he's there currently.

Was just about to post this too. Started watching Simon recently and he's great, such an underrated youtuber, really enjoyed his North Korea series.

How empty everything seemed to be is so eerie, almost feels like it's straight out of a horror movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Was just about to post this too. Started watching Simon recently and he's great, such an underrated youtuber, really enjoyed his North Korea series.

He has some great content. I'm not a fan of the Maccies 'trick' though. Don't like to see that kind of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,678 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

How empty everything seemed to be is so eerie, almost feels like it's straight out of a horror movie.

Yeah I like him. Some good content.

NK looked odd but not somewhere I'd be afraid to go. The water park episode was hilarious.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Would like to go to NK myself but tbh I'd never go because of those organised tours you have to take, your whole holiday is basically chosen for you by the State so no thanks. What I'd really like to see there though is one of their monster military parades with the cardboard missiles and tens of thousands of female soldiers dancing in unison. I doubt that is possible for a tourist though.

If I were willing to spend $200 a day to visit somewhere off the beaten track then I think Bhutan would be far more interesting and a lot less stifling than North Korea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭taytobreath

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Would like to go to NK myself but tbh I'd never go because of those organised tours you have to take, your whole holiday is basically chosen for you by the State so no thanks. What I'd really like to see there though is one of their monster military parades with the cardboard missiles and tens of thousands of female soldiers dancing in unison. I doubt that is possible for a tourist though.

If I were willing to spend $200 a day to visit somewhere off the beaten track then I think Bhutan would be far more interesting and a lot less stifling than North Korea.

As far as I'm aware tourists can go to those mass games.
    heres a well established crowd that does it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

antix80 wrote: »
    Just a word of warning but you are ineligible for US ESTA visa waiver if you travel to North Korea. This can be a nuisance if visiting the US or have a connecting flight through the US. You'd have to apply for a visa.
    m

I did not know that. Interesting.

Advertisement