Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommend a Podcast

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Mens Rea, a good podcast of true crime, mostly in Ireland. Good narrator.

This would be my favourite at the moment. Along with, Let's Not Meet - a horror type of podcast where people write in with creepy things that have happened them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭optogirl

ILikeBoats wrote: »
    This would be my favourite at the moment. Along with, Let's Not Meet - a horror type of podcast where people write in with creepy things that have happened them

I like the stories in Let's Not Meet but the guy narrating is pretty poor- his phrasing is jarring to say the least

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

David McWilliams new podcast on the economy is very good- 'The David McWilliams Podcast. Covers the Irish property crisis, US China trade deal, Brexit etc., in a clear and understandable way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Feel could be a less laymen in terms of delivery, he ha sheen pushing this simplicity angle for so long

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭Gwildor

Started listening to the Canadian True Crime podcast lately. Not a bad listen at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭The_Dark_Lord

True Crime Bullsh*t. Yes, that it's title(if you listen to the podcast, you'll understand why). It's a series all about the serial killer, Israel Keyes. It gives an indepth account of his life, his crimes and his victims. I've been listening to it for the past few days and I've found it very engrossing. If you like serial killers and true crime, you'll love this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,484 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

True Crime Bullsh*t. Yes, that it's title(if you listen to the podcast, you'll understand why). It's a series all about the serial killer, Israel Keyes. It gives an indepth account of his life, his crimes and his victims. I've been listening to it for the past few days and I've found it very engrossing. If you like serial killers and true crime, you'll love this.

I can’t find that on Apple podcasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭The_Dark_Lord

There’s a three minute promo for it and I got FOUR ads for Virgin Media WiFi in that time. The promo clip is only a minute long. Is the whole podcast riddled with ads?

I’m two minutes into the first episode and there’s three ads.

I’m out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Chicken George

Thanks for the "Lets not meet" podcast recommendation. I like it, but the guys voice is boring me to death now after season 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭allybhoy

Only discovered the Adam Buxton podcast recently, and have listened to nearly every single one. He just has a rambly interview with comedians \ musicians \ film-makers with no set agenda and his relaxed style is really good. Highly recommend, I usually skip jingles or interludes in podcasts but his are very entertaining, as are his intro's and outro's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

allybhoy wrote: »
    Only discovered the Adam Buxton podcast recently, and have listened to nearly every single one. He just has a rambly interview with comedians \ musicians \ film-makers with no set agenda and his relaxed style is really good. Highly recommend, I usually skip jingles or interludes in podcasts but his are very entertaining, as are his intro's and outro's

my favourite podcast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,306 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Ramble chat let's have a ramble chat.

I love the podcast, I miss the Adam and Joe podcast though.
    There was a recent episode with Joe Cornish and Louis Theroux which was brilliant fun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

You should download his app. It has extra content. I listened to the extra Johnny Marr one the other day, and it was 40min long. pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭padjocollins

I'm finding the tiso i5's can be a bit flaky when re/connecting to my android 7 . Sometimes I have to restart my phone as turning on and off Bluetooth hasn't helped. my taotronic bh-060's always connect and work flawlessly.

I'm finding the tiso i5's can be a bit flaky when re/connecting to my android 7 . Sometimes I have to restart my phone as turning on and off Bluetooth hasn't helped. my taotronic bh-060's always connect and work flawlessly.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭padjocollins

glasso wrote: »
    :confused:

oops, sorry wrong tab

Two new podcasts I want to try are -

The Joe Rogan experience

&

Scroobius

They both have a huge amount of podcasts so the question is - is there a period to miss ?

I like to listen, or watch, things from start to finish but it’s a huge amount of audio.

Did either of those start poor and get good ? Or are they good from the start ?

The Joe Rogan experience

Try the Dorian Yates (#989) one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

The Joe Rogan experience

&

Scroobius

They both have a huge amount of podcasts so the question is - is there a period to miss ?

I like to listen, or watch, things from start to finish but it’s a huge amount of audio.

Joe Rogan- i go on a guest by guest basis , sometimes Joe is so far up he's own rectum but other times he's an excellent interviewer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,638 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

peteeeed wrote: »
    Joe Rogan- i go on a guest by guest basis , sometimes Joe is so far up he's own rectum but other times he's an excellent interviewer

I agree. I find Joe himself to be totally hit or miss. It all depends on the quality of the guest.

His recent episode with Bernie Sanders was excellent and Joe was a big part of what made it so good - he asked intelligent questions and didn't get too sidetracked into his usual nonsense, apart from spending a few minutes talking about legalising weed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,938 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Bellingcat podcast.

great investigative journalism about the malaysian airlines flight that was shot down over Ukraine by the Russians.
    the Russians are trying to discredit the main story teller on twitter lately too.

Arghus wrote: »
    I agree. I find Joe himself to be totally hit or miss. It all depends on the quality of the guest.

His recent episode with Bernie Sanders was excellent and Joe was a big part of what made it so good - he asked intelligent questions and didn't get too sidetracked into his usual nonsense, apart from spending a few minutes talking about legalising weed

Don't forget the aliens question at the end

Don't forget the aliens question at the end

Ah, yeah, but that was just having a laugh when the conversation was over.

I’ll give it a go when I get some time but seems like Rogan may love the sound of his own voice.

If he’s even half as bad as Marc Maron he’ll be intolerable.

I’ll give it a go when I get some time but seems like Rogan may love the sound of his own voice.

I'd try search for a guest you know and like. Start from there.

peteeeed wrote: »

Yep same as that. I prob listen to one out of every 10 guests he has on but they’re always good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

The Joe Rogan experience

&

Scroobius

As others have said, it depends on the guest with Rogan's podcast. I remember the first 2 or so Shane Smith (Vice founder) episodes being great. He talks about some of the crazy journeys he's been on, including North Korea.

The thing that set Rogan's podcast apart was the long-form, casual nature of it. People can go way deeper into stories and take interesting tangents like a proper conversation.

• Advertisement

Used to listen to Maron all the time, but I got tired of him. He's so needy. The way he sucks up to comedians or musicans who've "made it" is embarrassing. His opening monologues are always so boring and self indulgent too.

I find it ironic that the two comedians with the biggest podcasts in the world - Rogan and Maron - are really not that funny. I don't think either of them are particularly funny or witty dudes. In comparison, Bill Burr's podcast is hilarious.

It can be obvious a lot that Joe is spoofing about subjects -"I was talking to a buddy of mine" - and, yep, he definitely loves the sound of his own voice, but he does get interesting folks on to talk to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

Yeah, never liked Rogan's comedy, and up until I discovered his podcast I only knew him as "that guy from Fear Factor" - at the time I even remember thinking he was a pretty characterless presenter on that show.

He has managed to do something unique with his podcast though, and he is a pretty interesting guy. Just goes to show that people can surprise you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭B_ecke_r

Podcasts I follow

The Debate (Sky Sports show)

The Anfield Wrap

Football Weekly

An Irishman Abroad

Court Junkie (brilliant true crime one)

also recommend The Golden State Killer - 6 episodes I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Used to listen to Maron all the time, but I got tired of him. He's so needy. The way he sucks up to comedians or musicans who've "made it" is embarrassing. His opening monologues are always so boring and self indulgent too.

I find it ironic that the two comedians with the biggest podcasts in the world - Rogan and Maron - are really not that funny. I don't think either of them are particularly funny or witty dudes. In comparison, Bill Burr's podcast is hilarious.

It can be obvious a lot that Joe is spoofing about subjects -"I was talking to a buddy of mine" - and, yep, he definitely loves the sound of his own voice, but he does get interesting folks on to talk to.
    I stopped listening to him as I feel a lot of the guests are dropping by for their second interviews and I'm not overly interested in his new guests at this stage. Can't remember the last episode I listened to.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Not in Kansas

Can't recommend Song Exploder enough! Especially if you are a musician or any type of writer that needs a kick-start. Even if not, just listening to how a song has been written, recorded and mixed is fascinating. Nearly every episode it great whether you know the artist or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

I'm not sure if we're allowed plug our own podcasts! But I'd like to give a shout to my own podcast, Three At The Back.

It's a football podcast that has had various incarnations over the years, but we're 3 episodes deep into its current format and any listens/subscribes/reviews would be massively appreciated to help us along our way.

This week's episode has a great chat with an Irish journalist covering La Liga, Robbie Dunne.

It's available everywhere. The website (backpagefootball.com) actually started with a PM on Boards over 10 years ago, so some love and support from the Boards.ie community would be amazing.

soundcloud.com/bpfootball or search "Three At The Back".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

30 Animals That Made Us Smarter
    Podcast from the BBC - "Amazing things humans have learnt from the animal kingdom"

Series 2 of Unravel is very good - a Kiwi guy marries a US girl after a whirlwind romance. She scams his family & disappears. 15 years later his brother goes on an investigative hunt to find her...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭allybhoy

optogirl wrote: »
    Series 2 of Unravel is very good - a Kiwi guy marries a US girl after a whirlwind romance. She scams his family & disappears. 15 years later his brother goes on an investigative hunt to find her...

Thanks..is that called unravel true crime snowball? Cant find one just called unravel, presume thats it, but there are 4 seasons

Thanks..is that called unravel true crime snowball? Cant find one just called unravel, presume thats it, but there are 4 seasons

Sorry - yeah, it's Snowball.

It's called "Unravel True Crime: Snowball" and the season about the kiwi guy marrying the american girl is season 4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

^ I started it - about 3 in, very interesting so far, liking it!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Chopper's Brexit Pocast by The Telegraph is very good. Quite light hearted.

This week Chopper (Christopher Hope) is on hols and the show is presented by Camilla Tominey. Her guests are Peter Foster and Tim Stanley. So 3 Telegraph writers, Tories (kinda) and solid enough Brixiteers however their view over the last weeks shenanigans in Westminster ia very interesting, illumimating and very clear.

Well worth a listen.

Last weeks show had Rees Mogg reciting funny limericks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭ThePott

You guys are normally so supportive of promoting my own podcast so I hope it's okay for me to post a short video I made about my podcast moving to the newly launched Phoenix Wrestling Network, it just runs through the content on the network and how to get it. Thanks everybody :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

Probably mentioned a good few times here and seen it loads of other Top Podcast lists.

Revisionist History with Malcolm Gladwell.

Great content, well written and a fine voice for podcasts, can't fault it.

Listened to The Queen of Cuba, which was about a 1990's Cuban spy in the American government.

Also listened to The Obscure Virus Club which was about the series of scientists that defied the accepted theories at the time to investigate retroviruses and the part this played in the response to the discovery of AIDs.

BBC's Word of Mouth with Michael Rosen. Very interesting podcast about language, how it changes and evolves, quirky aspects of language and the way we use it. Love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Not in Kansas

I gave The Hospital Always Wins a listen off RTE Documentary on One but it's actually an American doc. Very interesting take on mental health and the complicated journey towards release if you are an inpatient because you committed a serious crime while experiencing psychosis.

40ish mins long.

This is exactly how I feel about Rogan, I cringe when he's talking to a top comedian and they compare notes. Have you ever seen a Rogan stand up show? It's awful, he's not a funny guy at all.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Ralph came out of his coma and punched Joan straight in the face so she and Mahmoud decided to reinduce his coma.
    Joan's daughter's head is probably too big for an ECT cap.

Joan and Jericha season 2 has started.

Etcetera and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

I searched the thread, and was surprised not to see a mention of 'Omnibus' (apologies if I missed it).

It's kind of like 'Stuff You Should Know' - two presenters giving a lighthearted take on a subject drawn from recent history or pop culture. One presenter is a Jeopardy winner, the other is a famous-ish indie rock musician. Their episode on the rise and fall Milli Vanilli is one of the best podcast episodes I've ever listened to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Started listening to this yesterday whilst out walking. I had heard about it on another podcast. Its interesting so far

https://www.vulture.com/2019/01/the-last-days-of-august-podcast-review.html - The Last Days of August

"About This Show
    Jon Ronson, the creator of Audible Original The Butterfly Effect, delves into the pornography industry again as he unravels the never-before-told story of what caused a beloved 23-year-old actress’s untimely death."

Next on my list is the butterfly effect

• Advertisement
Advertisement