Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Number26/N26 Mastercard/Account now for Irish Residents

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭Delta2113

dohouch wrote: »
    Anybody else having problem with ATM withdrawals? (BOI)

Anybody know why the ATM after accepting my PIN and offering the "Withdrawal Options then says "You have accessed an invalid account".
    This has happened about 5 times over the last week since getting the card (BOI ATM )
    Have emailed Number26 , but they have a 3 day waiting time for replies.

I had no problem with BOI LATM.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭elmoslats

dohouch wrote: »
    Anybody else having problem with ATM withdrawals? (BOI)

Anybody know why the ATM after accepting my PIN and offering the "Withdrawal Options then says "You have accessed an invalid account".
    This has happened about 5 times over the last week since getting the card (BOI ATM )
    Have emailed Number26 , but they have a 3 day waiting time for replies.
    Haven't had any issues. Have you checked everything is enabled in the card settings in the app?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭dohouch

elmoslats wrote: »
    Haven't had any issues. Have you checked everything is enabled in the card settings in the app?

Have done, everything seems to be enabled.

Was able to get some answers from number26 using chat. Said they were aware of the issue and "shur 'twould be fixed manyahna."

We're not suffering, only complaining 😞

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Name and shame, well it's GloHealth (and I confirmed again today about it and they say, Irish account only) and Energia (last checked 2 month ago).

So I send the paper mandate to Energia and got the "that account does not work" e-mail, loads of e-mails forward and backwards and in my last I told them I am going to complain to the central bank and finally someone went up the chain and talked to their Direct Debit Manager and now my bills are going out of my German bank account.

GloHealth is still not willing, they are offering alternatives like we can take your credit/debit card. Well they have a couple of days left for their final answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Push push push. Good stuff. Too many people justmoan down the pub about these things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭JTMan

Seconded. Well done for pushing Energia. They had told me that the paper form would work which clearly it didn't. Great result from Energia. You have created precedent for future customers and forced a major company to comply with SEPA. Excellent.

Keep pushing GloHealth and keep us posted. Have they agreed to issue a final response letter?

Separately, good to see other Boards.ie users pushing Sky to be SEPA compliant.

JTMan wrote: »
    Seconded. Well done for pushing Energia. They had told me that the paper form would work which clearly it didn't. Great result from Energia. You have created precedent for future customers and forced a major company to comply with SEPA. Excellent.

Keep pushing GloHealth and keep us posted. Have they agreed to issue a final response letter?

Separately, good to see other Boards.ie users pushing Sky to be SEPA compliant.

Yeah, I send the paper form to Energia and they send it back as not a valid BIC/IBAN. I think their customer service is in the UK so the customer service agents don't seam too familiar with SEPA. But in the end one agent finally took it seriously and now we have a positive result. Now let's see if the next bill is actually debited from that account.

GloHealth wants to have a phone call to discuss alternatives, which I have told them, I don't want, I want them to take my SEPA account. Let's see after the holiday break if they issue the final response letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

Just discovered Number26 - seems like a giant leap for banking in Ireland! A few questions for anyone who knows:

1. Wirecard AG is the actual holding bank, but Number26 is the banking provider correct? Is the money guaranteed by the German government and if so to what amount?
    2. The master card is a credit card, yet it seems to work like a debit card, what are the real differences?
    3. Does it support direct debits, standing orders and international money transfers (info from here and the website is a bit conflicting)?
    4. Could you in theory keep and irish savings account with say, PTSB, and use them to lodge cash, then transfer to Number26 if needed? And also use them for large amount withdrawals?

Elessar wrote: »
    Just discovered Number26 - seems like a giant leap for banking in Ireland! A few questions for anyone who knows:

1. Wirecard AG is the actual holding bank, but Number26 is the banking provider correct? Is the money guaranteed by the German government and if so to what amount?
    2. The master card is a credit card, yet it seems to work like a debit card, what are the real differences?
    3. Does it support direct debits, standing orders and international money transfers (info from here and the website is a bit conflicting)?
    4. Could you in theory keep and irish savings account with say, PTSB, and use them to lodge cash, then transfer to Number26 if needed? And also use them for large amount withdrawals?

1.) Several millions per individual see https://number26.eu/support/german-deposit-protection/, it's a combination of the government and German bank's funds.

2.) It's coded as credit card (Irish) so it will be treated as such and only accepted if the vendor takes credit card. Some merchants see it as prepaid card / debit card (hertz the example, Ryanair seams to see it as such too). The reason is coded as credit card is so that number26 get's more money from the processing bank. So YMMV.

3.) Direct debits are possible (however some irish companies do not like non Irish banks as per here), standing orders no problem, international money transfers only within SEPA area in €, no foreign currency transactions (like SWIFT).

4.) yes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

I have a couple of questions also:
    1. Could this account be used to pay an AIB mortgage? I presume yes?
    2. If I'm applying for a new mortgage in a few years will the Irish banks have any issues if Number26 is my primary current account?
    3. What's the likelyhood of them introducing an overdraft facility in Ireland in future?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

I have a couple of questions also:
    1. Could this account be used to pay an AIB mortgage? I presume yes?
    2. If I'm applying for a new mortgage in a few years will the Irish banks have any issues if Number26 is my primary current account?
    3. What's the likelyhood of them introducing an overdraft facility in Ireland in future?

Thanks

1.) You might need to send them a paper mandate, but the only way to know for sure is to ask AIB if they can do SEPA direct debit from a non-irish account.

2.) I think that you will have a challenge with that as number26 does not provide paper statements, so any possible lender than will have challenges if the criteria do not change until than.

3.) I don't know but if you ask me to speculate, I would say no because compared to the German Schufa the ICB is a joke. Also if you fail to pay back an overdraft in Germany, they have a strong court system with excellent enforcement to get their money back quickly. So the credit risk for Ireland is completely different.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭doney84

I see down the bottom on the english version of their website that there is a link about the overdraft offering. It says all new customers get €1,000 overdraft and depending on your rating you could get an overdraft of up to €2,000 at a rate of 8.9%

Can those who already opened accounts please confirm if this applies to Irish customers?

Thanks,
    doney84

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

1.) You might need to send them a paper mandate, but the only way to know for sure is to ask AIB if they can do SEPA direct debit from a non-irish account.

2.) I think that you will have a challenge with that as number26 does not provide paper statements, so any possible lender than will have challenges if the criteria do not change until than.

3.) I don't know but if you ask me to speculate, I would say no because compared to the German Schufa the ICB is a joke. Also if you fail to pay back an overdraft in Germany, they have a strong court system with excellent enforcement to get their money back quickly. So the credit risk for Ireland is completely different.

Thanks. Sounds like I'll be keeping my Irish A/C. If I used this as a secondary A/C; using on a daily basis, paying some DD's with it and transferring in the bulk of my forth nightly salary from my Irish current A/C.
    I'd basically be using my Irish current A/C for my salary, paying mortgage and paying down credits cards, not day to day usage.

How would this work for Irish banks and mortgage applications?

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭josephsoap

Does anyone know if your driving license (paper version) will suffice as proof of identity?

I can't find my passport at the moment :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

josephsoap wrote: »
    Does anyone know if your driving license (paper version) will suffice as proof of identity?

I can't find my passport at the moment :-(

They don't, I rang them to ask. Only passport :(

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭josephsoap

Elessar wrote: »
    They don't, I rang them to ask. Only passport :(

Thanks Elessar - I'll just have to keep searching so :-)

So I had my first negative experience with number26.

They seam to have had problems crediting incoming transfers over the last couple of days but did not pro-actively inform people about it, rather reactive on twitter.

Attempts to get in contact with the support did not work (chat did not work, long holding times on phone), looks like they did more customers when they went into new markets, underestimating what they might require on staff.

According to their twitter account the problem is fixed, but because today is a bank holiday in Germany money won't show up until possible Monday 04 January.

Not really good, I know problems happen but at least they should pro-actively communicate it (in the app for example) or at least hire enough staff to deal with customers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Lumina

I just checked my statements. They have my address at bottom left side of each pdf printed page.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭Delta2113

- I doubt it - not sure if it's still the case but PTSB refused to accept Irish Water bills - total disgrace.

This Irish bank opening account procedure needs to change big time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Lumina

My hope is that they would be accepted as a non-main leisure use current account. Still stuck with bofi current until I hve a mortgage.

Delta2113 wrote: »
    - I doubt it - not sure if it's still the case but PTSB refused to accept Irish Water bills - total disgrace.

This Irish bank opening account procedure needs to change big time.

Especially as they are required by EU law to open a basic account (including debit card) to anybody who can proof his identity, even if that person has no fixed abode (i.e. no proof of address).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

How long does it usually take to receive the physical card?

It's been over one month now. I email support a week ago and I heard nothing at all. Is there a way to contact support besides email?

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭ahbell

Really impressed with the sign up process, the card was delivered in 4 days, the app is great. Used it in the UK got a great exchange rate and notification on the app straight away. Only thing that bugs me is using it cash machines has been a bit hit and miss - Ulster Bank seem to have a problem with it, all others have been fine so far.

It's been over one month now. I email support a week ago and I heard nothing at all. Is there a way to contact support besides email?

Answering my own question here.

https://number26.eu/support/can-call-number26-abroad/

Very easy to get through to their support.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Bracken81

Best banking sign up procedure I've ever encountered........Video call with my passport done in 5 minutes!

Its definitely a game changer

Advertisement