Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Launch monitors

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Dotzie

copacetic wrote: »
    https://www.metrogolf.ie/ has been the exact same setup in ringsend for about 15 years. Good outing, but probably once or twice a year. Appears they are moving, wonder is it to k club.

They were well ahead of their time really.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/nothing-fake-about-simulation-game-1.913365

Metro golf closed a couple of years ago in ringsend

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Innish_Rebel

BrianD3 wrote: »

Is simulation going to become increasingly popular in the coming years. Technology is already good and will improve. Everytime we watch golf coverage on sky sports it is ubiquitous, protracer and ball speeds etc. The world has changed in the last 20 years, people often don't have time to be playing 5 hour rounds of real golf.

Not sure how popular but I play weekly online golf tournaments that try to follow the USPGA tournament swing. Now I know they don't have licensing on all courses but there is a course designer in the software so people have created courses; but this weeks Major (3 rounds rather than 2) was at a very very good reproduction of a certain tournament that was played over the weekend (they're very protective of online use of the course)!!! It was a thrill to play the course (not off the back Tees now!!!) back nine was class.

202 players completed the 3 round tournament - vast majority are from over the water, but fair few from UK/Ireland/Sweden/Australia as well. Now not great for handicap comparisons - perfect lies, no sideslopes etc you will end up shooting a lot better than real life handicap

• Registered Users Posts: 27,088 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I wasnt that impressed with Metro golf (now it was 10 years ago)
    But it just wasnt at all accurate, distances were crazy short and putting/chipping was just a lottery.

You'd hope that things have improved, but unless they are sticking a GC Quad in every bay I doubt it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

GreeBo wrote: »
    But it just wasnt at all accurate, distances were crazy short and putting/chipping was just a lottery.

You'd hope that things have improved, but unless they are sticking a GC Quad in every bay I doubt it!

The cost of setting a bay up is quite a chunk of cash. 30-40k for trackman set up including projectors and screens etc. Hard to make a return unless you own the premises. I wonder is there a licence fee then to keep the courses updated for the sim?

I would happily use one of these places for working on my swing rather than the sim aspect of it.

etxp wrote: »
    The cost of setting a bay up is quite a chunk of cash. 30-40k for trackman set up including projectors and screens etc. Hard to make a return unless you own the premises. I wonder is there a licence fee then to keep the courses updated for the sim?

I would happily use one of these places for working on my swing rather than the sim aspect of it.

They deffo werent using Trackman (or anything near it)
    When I was there they pretty much had the same setup as they have/had in The Palace bar, the cheapo 2 sets of lasers that just basically measure speed and direction, I dont think they take spin into account at all for example.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

They deffo werent using Trackman (or anything near it)
    When I was there they pretty much had the same setup as they have/had in The Palace bar, the cheapo 2 sets of lasers that just basically measure speed and direction, I dont think they take spin into account at all for example.

In fairness they were long before trackman of GCquad were available, technology is much better and much cheaper now. Don’t even think pros were using launch monitors back then, certainly fitting wasn’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

I was at metro golf a couple of times before they closed and really enjoyed it. Distances & shot shapes seemed spot on. It's a shame they are gone as it was a class night out. Downing a pizza/pint while trying to fade a ball over the hotel on the right of the road hole :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭bren2001

If you were going to metrogolf to work on your game or play a realistic round, you were going for the very wrong reason. The entire setup was built around having a few drinks, they never tried to be a real golf simulator.

I always thought it was great fun.

bren2001 wrote: »
    If you were going to metrogolf to work on your game or play a realistic round, you were going for the very wrong reason. The entire setup was built around having a few drinks, they never tried to be a real golf simulator.

I always thought it was great fun.

Oh I wasnt, I was always just there at office parties, but it was no better than playing golf on the Wii but far more involved!

Advertisement