Advertisement
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Launch monitors

  • 18-10-2020 2:30pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭ Rippeditup


    Anyone use a launch monitor for home use?
    Thinking for the winter the mevo+ but 10 week lead time ..
    Would love a gcquad or trackman but costs are crazy.

    Any advise options people have tried?


«1

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭ DuckSlice


    Rippeditup wrote: »
    Anyone use a launch monitor for home use?
    Thinking for the winter the mevo+ but 10 week lead time ..
    Would love a gcquad or trackman but costs are crazy.

    Any advise options people have tried?

    What’s the price of the mevo+?


  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭ mark316


    Skytrak are good, about 2000 yoyos


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭ gypsy79


    etxp wrote: »
    What’s the price of the mevo+?

    $2000


  • Registered Users Posts: 19,541 ✭✭✭✭ PARlance


    Bought a 2nd hand Swing Caddie SC200+ during the summer, have only used it a few times but it was bought with the winter in mind. Shed was cleared out for mat, net etc this weekend.

    Retails approx €300 and compares fairly well against the more expensive monitors. A decent budget option.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭ OS_Head


    The PRGR Launch Monitor Black is cheap, €230 and gets good reviews all round. It might be worth checking out.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,446 ✭✭✭✭ The_Kew_Tour


    G80 Garmain.. best of both worlds


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭✭ Damari Uptight Mink


    Assuming OP means launch monitor which you can also play on virtual golf courses.. also been looking into this.. Hopefully get a shed in the next couple of years and get a golf simulator in it.

    Mevo + and Skytrak seem to be the 2 "affordable" options at the minute.. both around 2000e.

    From reading into it, Mevo + seems to edge it, but you need a lot more space


  • Registered Users Posts: 25,518 ✭✭✭✭ GreeBo


    Trackman also has crazy delays in Ireland at the moment, huge demand it seems.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭ RoadRunner


    I wonder when the tech behind launch monitors eventually reduces in price will it have a knock-on effect on golf membership numbers?


  • Registered Users Posts: 25,518 ✭✭✭✭ GreeBo


    RoadRunner wrote: »
    I wonder when the tech behind launch monitors eventually reduces in price will it have a knock-on effect on golf membership numbers?

    (Assuming you mean numbers would go down)
    I don't see why it would, the majority of people buy these to get better at playing golf, not to have a more realistic version of a golf computer game.

    I cant see it ever replacing actual golf any more than those simulator "arcade" venues.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭✭ derdider


    Rippeditup wrote: »
    Anyone use a launch monitor for home use?
    Thinking for the winter the mevo+ but 10 week lead time ..
    Would love a gcquad or trackman but costs are crazy.

    Any advise options people have tried?

    I've been on a skytrak before.

    I found it excellent. Numbers and shot shape seemed exactly as real life and the numbers matched what i saw on Trackman almost perfectly.

    The 1-2 second delay on displaying the shot (which i thought was the only real drawback of the skytrak) is a non issue when you are the one taking the shot. By the time you finish your swing and actually focus on the screen the shot is taking off.

    You can run it off a phone or ipad so no need for an expensive set-up if you dont want to. Im sure the mevo is the same in that respect

    Obviously theres no club data though just ball data. I think Mevo+ is the same in that too.

    Only thing you have to worry about really is ceiling height. To be able to swing all clubs at home you need pretty high ceilings.

    Those cheaper launch monitors (in the few hundred euro range) might be good for ball speed and estimating distance but i dont think any of them actually measure side-spin so cant tell you shot shape as far as i know.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ willabur


    I think while it would be fun to have one for seeing longer shots the real value is if they can help you dial in your game from 100 yards in.


  • Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭ Innish_Rebel


    Rippeditup wrote: »
    Anyone use a launch monitor for home use?
    Thinking for the winter the mevo+ but 10 week lead time ..
    Would love a gcquad or trackman but costs are crazy.

    Any advise options people have tried?


    I bit the bullet & bought a Skytrak at the start of lockdown (mid-April) best thing I've done golf wise in a long time - my course time is way way down due to young family.
    The launch monitor is very good, great accuracy doesn't miss many shots & that is normally down to lighting/background which can be fine tuned. Not club data but ball data - very accurate on all distances & spin (side and back spin).


    I splashed out and bought ProTee modified TGC2019 computer game so I can play computer based golf game where the input ball data is coming from me hitting the ball. My biggest problem right now is I'm actually cracking the covers of golf balls as I'm hitting so many shots!!! (combined with PC projector I've the view on the screen I'm hitting at.


    If you want any advice assistance feel free to contact me via PM.


  • Registered Users Posts: 25,518 ✭✭✭✭ GreeBo


    - very accurate on all distances & spin (side and back spin).
    Have you compared it to anything else for this or just on your own observations?


  • Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭ Innish_Rebel


    GreeBo wrote: »
    Have you compared it to anything else for this or just on your own observations?


    Have not done a lot of comparison on my system itself but put about 2 months of research into it before buying - a lot of good videos on web - I was also looking at the Mevo+ but did not have the room behind my swing to fit (radar based so need to be 8ft behind you)


    However I did use the bag mapping function before going out on course for a classic back in July - I definitely found using the numbers from my bag mapping rather than remembering that 1 out of 20 time I flush a 7 iron 170 yards, I was definitely pin high a lot more that I had expected.


    One thing that does take a bit of time is ISS (Indoor Swing Syndrome) Driver & 3W were short on Skytrak for a while but it is a common psychological thing of not being able to "unleash the beast" indoor.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭ Russman


    OS_Head wrote: »
    The PRGR Launch Monitor Black is cheap, €230 and gets good reviews all round. It might be worth checking out.

    Obviously it’s not for use in an indoor simulator, but I’ve found the PRGR unit pretty good for outdoor use. It’s fairly/very close to what I know my numbers are from Trackman. Definitely a good “value” purchase if you’re just looking for basic info and to track progression. A bit like a weighing scales, it doesn’t matter if it’s off, as long as you keep using the same scales each time !! :)


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭ DuckSlice


    Russman wrote: »
    Obviously it’s not for use in an indoor simulator, but I’ve found the PRGR unit pretty good for outdoor use. It’s fairly/very close to what I know my numbers are from Trackman. Definitely a good “value” purchase if you’re just looking for basic info and to track progression. A bit like a weighing scales, it doesn’t matter if it’s off, as long as you keep using the same scales each time !! :)

    Exactly my thinking. Currently doing some work to get swing speed up and I'm gonna get it to track this progress and then its handy for the distances too.


  • Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ dazzday


    I just picked up a swing caddie s200 with missing remote for 100e on ebay. New remote from USA with addresspal coming in about 40e, so 140e all in seems abit of a steal.

    Plan is to use swing caddie and zepp 2 hitting into a net over lockdown .. Hoping the club, hand and swing plane figures on the zepp will mitigate building bad swing habits just chasing speed numbers from the launch monitor!


  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭ Rippeditup


    dazzday wrote: »
    I just picked up a swing caddie s200 with missing remote for 100e on ebay. New remote from USA with addresspal coming in about 40e, so 140e all in seems abit of a steal.

    Plan is to use swing caddie and zepp 2 hitting into a net over lockdown .. Hoping the club, hand and swing plane figures on the zepp will mitigate building bad swing habits just chasing speed numbers from the launch monitor!

    Where did you get the remote as I have a SC200 and missing my remote.


  • Registered Users Posts: 33,446 ✭✭✭✭ The_Kew_Tour


    dazzday wrote: »
    I just picked up a swing caddie s200 with missing remote for 100e on ebay. New remote from USA with addresspal coming in about 40e, so 140e all in seems abit of a steal.

    Plan is to use swing caddie and zepp 2 hitting into a net over lockdown .. Hoping the club, hand and swing plane figures on the zepp will mitigate building bad swing habits just chasing speed numbers from the launch monitor!

    Do you find the zepp good?


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ dazzday


    Rippeditup wrote: »
    Where did you get the remote as I have a SC200 and missing my remote.

    https://voicecaddie.com/products/play/accessory/replacement-swing-caddie-sc200-remote/

    25e delivered to Addresspal US and then 15e addresspal fee. Hopefully not stung with customs (its 22e limit so we will see)


  • Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ dazzday


    Do you find the zepp good?

    Have only used it once on the range but definitely found it good for swing speed, tempo and club head speed straight off the bat.

    Club plane and hand plane took abit of time to get used to but I definitely saw that when I slice it was predominantly my hand plane angle which implies I need to control my club face. I think you would need some time in a range to work out what a good hit translates to in numbers... You would be hard pressed to get good feedback back from using on a net alone


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,697 ✭✭✭ BrianD3


    Has anyone got a recommendation for an outdoor hitting cage preferably with green netting. The ones I've seen online are 3 x 3 x 3 metres and are around 500-800 euro. I have loads of room in the garden but 3 metres is pretty high and obvious so there is a chance some busybody could complain. AFAIK, strictly speaking a "structure" like this may be classed as a shed and need planning permission.

    Anyhow, my plan would be to get a cage plus mat, use it for a while and if it goes well then invest in a Skytrak or GC2. If it doesn't go well then I haven't lost very much.

    With an outdoor setup like this, how do you view the shot you've just hit - laptop beside you on a table?

    I was (and still am to an extent) thinking of building a 35 square metre permanent structure with lots of headroom that could be used for a golf simulator and other purposes but that would cost around 40 grand and require planning and an architect.


  • Registered Users Posts: 19,541 ✭✭✭✭ PARlance


    BrianD3 wrote: »
    Has anyone got a recommendation for an outdoor hitting cage preferably with green netting. The ones I've seen online are 3 x 3 x 3 metres and are around 500-800 euro. I have loads of room in the garden but 3 metres is pretty high and obvious so there is a chance some busybody could complain. AFAIK, strictly speaking a "structure" like this may be classed as a shed and need planning permission.

    Anyhow, my plan would be to get a cage plus mat, use it for a while and if it goes well then invest in a Skytrak or GC2. If it doesn't go well then I haven't lost very much.

    With an outdoor setup like this, how do you view the shot you've just hit - laptop beside you on a table?

    I was (and still am to an extent) thinking of building a 35 square metre permanent structure with lots of headroom that could be used for a golf simulator and other purposes but that would cost around 40 grand and require planning and an architect.

    You'll get an outdoor cage for a lot less if you look outside golf suppliers... if you know a metal worker or good handyman etc, or go to a store like this who are getting in on the market. All it is is bits ot of steel, so anyone who works with same could easily customize to your ideal size.

    https://www.themetalstore.co.uk/golf-cage-kits


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,697 ✭✭✭ BrianD3


    PARlance wrote: »
    You'll get an outdoor cage for a lot less if you look outside golf suppliers... if you know a metal worker or good handyman etc, or go to a store like this who are getting in on the market. All it is is bits ot of steel, so anyone who works with same could easily customize to your ideal size.

    https://www.themetalstore.co.uk/golf-cage-kits
    Thanks for the link - looks like a substantial saving there. Approx 300 GBP for frame and net not including delivery. I presume the dimensions of 50 m x 3 m for the net is an error, it would be far too big and also weigh a lot more than the 5 kg quoted.


  • Registered Users Posts: 19,541 ✭✭✭✭ PARlance


    BrianD3 wrote: »
    Thanks for the link - looks like a substantial saving there. Approx 300 GBP for frame and net not including delivery. I presume the dimensions of 50 m x 3 m for the net is an error, it would be far too big and also weigh a lot more than the 5 kg quoted.

    Haven't used them but just to note that that is debris/scaffold net, wouldn't be the strongest and would only be useful for the sides imo. You would need a much stronger net for the main impact zone imo. It's strange that they haven't included the net with it.

    On second thoughts, here's a decent price with everything included.

    https://www.networldsports.ie/freestanding-golf-cage-net-home-driving-range.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwoc_8BRAcEiwAzJevtQQxG2hnBFrGLwB0r2j6ma-2nMnWsKfQBDxMogUUKbzybhunsH5V8RoCM8IQAvD_BwE

    Not a bad price at €399, there's savings to be had elsewhere but might not be worth the hassle of sourcing items yourself.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭ Golfgraffix


    JP Feeney at simulated sports is the guy it check with.


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭ redzerdrog


    All this talk of launch monitors, I decided to break out the Swingbyte 2 that I bought and barely ever used!

    Only the find the app doesn't appear to work on Android anymore!!! :-(


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,697 ✭✭✭ BrianD3


    With the poor weather we've been having I've put the idea of the outdoor net on the back burner, still thinking about it and the indoor studio though.

    I see the K Club is opening a new "simulator experience" shortly, 50 quid for an hour. I'll probably try it and will soon know if spending big money on my own golf room is a good idea. I don't know if there are similar experiences elsewhere, yes a fair few clubs and golf shops would have launch monitors and hitting areas but in the context of lessons/selling clubs?

    Is simulation going to become increasingly popular in the coming years. Technology is already good and will improve. Everytime we watch golf coverage on sky sports it is ubiquitous, protracer and ball speeds etc. The world has changed in the last 20 years, people often don't have time to be playing 5 hour rounds of real golf.

    K+World+%281%29.jpg?format=1500w


  • Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,430 ✭✭✭✭ copacetic


    BrianD3 wrote: »
    With the poor weather we've been having I've put the idea of the outdoor net on the back burner, still thinking about it and the indoor studio though.

    I see the K Club is opening a new "simulator experience" shortly, 50 quid for an hour. I'll probably try it and will soon know if spending big money on my own golf room is a good idea. I don't know if there are similar experiences elsewhere, yes a fair few clubs and golf shops would have launch monitors and hitting areas but in the context of lessons/selling clubs?

    Is simulation going to become increasingly popular in the coming years. Technology is already good and will improve. Everytime we watch golf coverage on sky sports it is ubiquitous, protracer and ball speeds etc. The world has changed in the last 20 years, people often don't have time to be playing 5 hour rounds of real golf.

    K+World+%281%29.jpg?format=1500w

    https://www.metrogolf.ie/ has been the exact same setup in ringsend for about 15 years. Good outing, but probably once or twice a year. Appears they are moving, wonder is it to k club.

    They were well ahead of their time really.

    https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/nothing-fake-about-simulation-game-1.913365


Advertisement