Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The PGA Tour Thread

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

I can see it over par too, who ever hits the fairways, greens and makes lots of pars will win.
    I think it's a good course for Lowry with his unbelievable short game if he can keep his drives on the short stuff.
    I wouldn't rule out a Tiger masterclass either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,823 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I think the winner will be an elite player, doubt we'll see a shock. Not exactly sticking my neck out but I fancy DJ strongly.

Reckon Woods, Mickelson and Rory will all miss the cut.

Winning score level par at best.

Fair to say the 1974 US Open at Winged Foot was fairly tough :eek:

US-Open-1974.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Ill go with +4 as the winning score.
    Jason dufner for the win.
    Edit: looks like dufner is not playing.

Hideki Matsuyama for the win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Ill go with +4 as the winning score.
    Jason dufner for the win.
    Edit: looks like dufner is not playing.

Hideki Matsuyama for the win

Why Dufner? Hasn’t shown anything in years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Big day for Sugrue hopefully he can put in a decent showing, huge test though could be all about damage limitation.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Why Dufner? Hasn’t shown anything in years

I always throw a small bet on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

After seeing a picture of the rough it looks quite long and very thick. Without fans I wonder if there will be a lot of lost balls? Or would fans not really be a factor in locating them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,492 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Went for Wolff and Champ, solely based on odds and performance at last Major.

Feel I should have picked an experienced grind-it-outer now by the looks of it.

Went for Wolff and Champ, solely based on odds and performance at last Major.

Feel I should have picked an experienced grind-it-outer now by the looks of it.

i had a nibble at wolff too he's in great form, see bryson saying he's going to attack the course, and worse case scenario he's in the rough 100 yards to the green, if he gets lucky he could blow the field away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Rough is over 5 inches, I think Bryson might be onto something.

• Advertisement

GreeBo wrote: »
    Rough is over 5 inches, I think Bryson might be onto something.

I heard the rough is graded, the closer to the hole the higher the rough is. Should be like that every week.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭bren2001

I heard the rough is graded, the closer to the hole the higher the rough is. Should be like that every week.

No laying up were saying its graduated on some holes e.g. the par 5's but not on others i.e. the shorter par 4's. It certainly looks like it could be a brilliant tournament to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Second guessing myself now as I think long rough with no spectators is going to (finally!) lead to some lost balls.

Keeping it on the short stuff or at least near where everyone else is landing might be the smart play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,634 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

bren2001 wrote: »
    No laying up were saying its graduated on some holes e.g. the par 5's but not on others i.e. the shorter par 4's. It certainly looks like it could be a brilliant tournament to watch.

Think they also said you'd likely be better off with a 7i from the fairway than a wedge from the rough in some cases so will be interesting alright.

That and the fact that it requires different shaping on different holes to get the optimal drive

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Surely it should be the wider you go the thicker the rough, why should big hitters be punished for just being big hitters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

GreeBo wrote: »
    Second guessing myself now as I think long rough with no spectators is going to (finally!) lead to some lost balls.

Keeping it on the short stuff or at least near where everyone else is landing might be the smart play.

For sure there will be lost balls, although they will have spotters out there still. You would see it plenty times at the irish open or the open last year where the ball would for sure have been lost if not for spectators in the area and they see it or they have trampled down that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Salvadoor

etxp wrote: »
    For sure there will be lost balls, although they will have spotters out there still. You would see it plenty times at the irish open or the open last year where the ball would for sure have been lost if not for spectators in the area and they see it or they have trampled down that area.

Speith with a lost drive 10 minutes ago!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,064 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

hole in one there from Reed

scores seem good so far, is it calm is anyone watching ?
    Is it to get windier in the afternoon ? sorry to ask i'm in work !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Salvadoor

Greens are relatively soft for the early starters

It's calm, no real wind to worry about today, picks up a little over the weekend.

Greens will firm up over the day so will be a big trickier.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭New Era

3 consecutive birdies for the 15 time major winner Tiger Woods has put him back into red figures at one under through 11. Just three off the lead. Can Tiger claim major number 16 come Sunday evening. Never rule him out!!

New Era wrote: »
    3 consecutive birdies for the 15 time major winner Tiger Woods has put him back into red figures at one under through 11. Just three off the lead. Can Tiger claim major number 16 come Sunday evening. Never rule him out!!

If the course shows it's teeth there's no better man.
    I'd love to see it, but only if Mr Lowry doesn't win.

Rory shot an excellent 3 under 67, but by all accounts he could have easily shot 2 or 3 shots even better

Great start for Lowry. A birdie at the 1st hole.

McDowell 6 over and one to play.

Corks James Sugrue missed a 2 footer at the 11th his second and he is 2 over after 2.

Poor finish for Tiger too. 3 over after been 1 under through 11.

If the course shows it's teeth there's no better man.
    I'd love to see it, but only if Mr Lowry doesn't win.

You may get your wish 're Lowry. 2 holes 2 birdies. Remember Oakmont in 2016? Very similar test to winged foot and he just missed out on US open glory back then after having a 4 shot lead over 54 holes. Great start but an awfully long way to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

New Era wrote: »
    You may get your wish 're Lowry. 2 holes 2 birdies. Remember Oakmont in 2016? Very similar test to winged foot and he just missed out on US open glory back then after having a 4 shot lead over 54 holes. Great start but an awfully long way to go.

And then +3 through 8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

A post from a popular golf twitter profile;

Hearing from an internal source that the Head of Grounds at Winged Foot, Steve Rabideau, was LIVID with the USGA during their afternoon meeting over today’s setup.

Let’s hope that is true and they make it much harder. I want to see a bit of carnage.

Also, we give out a lot about the golf coverage with sky but that is generally all thru the US network coverage. And right now in the US they have to sign up to some streaming service called peacock to watch the last two hours of coverage. Sounds farcical and not in any way a route to try and grow the game as their slogan is

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭Panrich

Shane really has imploded since that great start. +5 now after 14. That's +7 for the last 12 holes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭4Ad

Wolff has some swing, does the job though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,498 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Panrich wrote: »
    Shane really has imploded since that great start. +5 now after 14. That's +7 for the last 12 holes.

Unsurprising unfortunately. Has shown no form all year.

Do we really need to see Phil hacking it round the course?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,492 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

'We say well done to NBC who have shown a shot from every player at least once"

And about 77 shots from Mickelson.

Mickelson picking up where he left off at Winged Foot, could've easily shot high 80s today, he was all over the shop.

Nowhere near enough carnage for my liking so far, hopefully they dry out the course now and nobody shoots in the 60s for the rest of the week.

'We say well done to NBC who have shown a shot from every player at least once"

And about 77 shots from Mickelson.

Did we see Sugrue? I may have missed him

I'd say it'll be alot tougher today lads, less water on the greens and much tougher pins i would think.
    I can see Rory losing his mind and drifting away as the course toughens up

edit: i can see lots of players losing their minds and drifting away, a 70 today is a great score by the looks of it

Big day for Sugrue hopefully he can put in a decent showing, huge test though could be all about damage limitation.

Having a bit of a mare today, miles off the standard unfortunately.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Ill tell you one thing its the hope that kills you as a rickie fowler fan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Bubba going well, kiss of death guaranteed

It’s a bloodbath now

The fun has really started now. Shots being dropped everywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,476 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

A bloodbath and the top 2 are Reed and Bryson....not a nice combo

• Advertisement

Mushy wrote: »
    A bloodbath and the top 2 are Reed and Bryson....not a nice combo

A Reed and Harris English group would be very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Slanty

And the wind is only 10mph.

Great to watch. A real good match, players vs course and today the course will win.

Really enjoyed the last few tournaments, think the pga have got the mix just right.

Long may it continue and we don’t see any -30 scores for a while.

It's like the revenge of Winged Foot.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Slow play killing this as tv viewing. No one being penalised?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Bryson in at - 3,wont be caught, must feel like he won the lottery

A Reed and Harris English group would be very interesting.

ha ha ha was thinking that earlier :D

What a shot from Hideki

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,720 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Reed is so slow. Scoring is bad but the course seems fair, punishing wayward golf.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Course is brutally tough today. Yesterday was a once off!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Advertisement