Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property Market 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

People who were ready without HTB could all avail of these magical cheap secondhand houses floating about everywhere with no competition from FTB who needed HTB

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 247 ✭✭car_radio19834

No one I know who got HTB actually needed it. The ones who are using it are the ones in high paying jobs but commuting from cheaper housing areas like the midlands.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

No one I know who got HTB actually needed it. The ones who are using it are the ones in high paying jobs but commuting from cheaper housing areas like the midlands.

There was a cohort who it did help.
    The problem was this cohort all gained instant access to 20k to put towards deposits- at a time when supply was a lot more constrained than it currently is- and promptly chased prices higher...….

The statistics that show FTBs dominating the new market and subsequent buyers in low single percentages- speaks volumes (though we have to be cognisant of the new development of the housing associations, REITs, Local Authorities and others having cornered fully 50% of the new builds)- speak volumes.

First time buyers who bought a new build (or built themselves) got a shot in the arm with HTB- insofar as it assisted with deposits- which is why the developers were able to fully increment it onto asking prices- hell the FTBs weren't going to argue with them. Everyone else paid for this largess- and continue to do so.

An SSIA scheme without an end date- with variable incentives for different groups- such as 10% general top-up rate for everyone- rising to a 25% topup rate for FTBs- providing it was subsequently used to purchase property, reducing back to the 10% if it was used for other purposes- subject to a max annual top-up (of perhaps 6-7k), but no limit on how many years you could save for, and no end date- has merit.

The current scheme is giving an unfair advantage to a segment of purchasers- such that they are cornering the entire new-build sector (that is available on the open market)- isn't fair.

Not every non-first time buyer currently owns property- and of those that do- not all of them have any meaningful equity in their property. Increasing numbers are making do living in dwellings that are unsuitable for their needs and/or in dire need of refurbishment- or significant work.

The HTB scheme refunding tax- is attractive to some people- because they tick all the boxes. Others- who don't- are getting left behind. And the whole time the scheme is being funded by tax payers and ultimately benefiting private sectors developers. Does not compute...……

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭LJ12345

What’s the value of the new build houses going back to market within 12 months of purchase? It must happen - have they lost value.

• Administrators Posts: 53,439 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

It’s a tax refund. You cannot get a cent more than you’ve paid in tax. Of course those who contribute the most will benefit the most, those who contribute less will benefit less.

People who build houses benefit from scheme to incentivise building houses. People who need deposits benefit from scheme to aid with deposits. It’s hardly a shock?

• Advertisement

LJ12345 wrote: »
    What’s the value of the new build houses going back to market within 12 months of purchase? It must happen - have they lost value.

I don't know- but I imagine its rare, as there are a lot of transactional costs associated with buying and selling property (Estate Agent fees etc etc). You'd need prices to be rising by at least 1.5-2% to break even- stagnant prices or falling prices, and you're in the red.

I don't know- but I imagine its rare, as there are a lot of transactional costs associated with buying and selling property (Estate Agent fees etc etc). You'd need prices to be rising by at least 1.5-2% to break even- stagnant prices or falling prices, and you're in the red.

Agree 100%, but I’d say it happens or will happen, it would be very interesting if the second hand value of these new houses drops or even drops in line with the rest of the market. The FTB purchaser wouldn’t lose but it would mean the value of the new builds was certainly inflated by the government.

If there’s a drop in value it’s certainly a disincentive for second time buyers who might prefer an A rated home and channels first time buyers into new builds who might prefer a more established area with a bigger garden... it’s not a great approach to building new houses.

I'm pretty sure you also have to pay back your HTB money if you sell within 5 years or something.

Basically, it would be very rare because you'd definitely be losing money. The number of ~1 year old houses on the second hand market must be miniscule.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Also new house price do include VAT.
    I realize people only look at the headline figures but hard to scrap back every part of the cost inc VAT in a sale

awec wrote: »
    It’s a tax refund. You cannot get a cent more than you’ve paid in tax. Of course those who contribute the most will benefit the most, those who contribute less will benefit less.

People who build houses benefit from scheme to incentivise building houses. People who need deposits benefit from scheme to aid with deposits. It’s hardly a shock?

The scheme was sold as a help-to-buy scheme- and a decision to allow people use the 20k as a deposit was only made after the fact. It was not allowed at the outset. Keep in mind the politicians and the Central bank were singing off two entirely different hymn sheets- which is how FTBs have a 10% deposit requirement versus a 20% requirement for everyone else. The 20% requirement for subsequent purchasers is as much an impossible target for a majority of subsequent purchasers as is the 10% for FTBs- yet the FTBs get a hand-out for their 10% but the subsequent buyers don't.

My proposal is a tiered SSIA scheme is a different top-up percentage for different groups of people- but allow everyone enter the SSIA scheme- and have a default top-up treatment for those who don't use their SSIA account for a deposit- and also- most importantly, don't have an end-date on the scheme- so you don't end up with a cohort of people all entering the market at the same time.

You and I obviously have different opinions on whether the HTB scheme, as it stands, has helped matters and for whom it has helped matters. Looking solely at the manner it was amended after it was drafted- to allow it be used for deposits- seems to me to be the sole beneficial manner in which it has helped FTBs- given the entire sum was immediately incremented onto the purchase price for houses.

Any new scheme has to be more open- and has to be open to second hand property- and non-FTB purchasers.

• Advertisement

I'm pretty sure you also have to pay back your HTB money if you sell within 5 years or something.

Basically, it would be very rare because you'd definitely be losing money. The number of ~1 year old houses on the second hand market must be miniscule.

You could well be right- I need to re-read all the rules of the scheme when I get a chance. It would make sense though- why should you incentivise someone who is flipping a property...….

You could well be right- I need to re-read all the rules of the scheme when I get a chance. It would make sense though- why should you incentivise someone who is flipping a property...….

The rule is that at least one of the persons who got the HTB money must live in the property, not that you can't sell it. So you couldn't start renting it out either.

If you sell/rent in the first year you've to pay 100% of the HTB money back. Every year that amount decreases by 20%, until year 6 when you can obviously sell with no penalty.

It's exactly for that reason, stop people immediately cashing in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

I've friends who did this.

Bought a new build in a commuter county but couldn't hack the lifestyle (especially the commute) and sold up and bought a 2 up 2 down right in the city center - night and day scenario.

Bought in 2017 and sold a year later. They struggled to get back what they paid and it was very stressful for them. I think the accepted an offer slightly under what they paid and when you factor in additional buying and selling costs, they definitely cost themselves money going for the new shiny house only to regret it such a short time later.

SozBbz wrote: »
    I've friends who did this.

Bought a new build in a commuter county but couldn't hack the lifestyle (especially the commute) and sold up and bought a 2 up 2 down right in the city center - night and day scenario.

Bought in 2017 and sold a year later. They struggled to get back what they paid and it was very stressful for them. I think the accepted an offer slightly under what they paid and when you factor in additional buying and selling costs, they definitely cost themselves money going for the new shiny house only to regret it such a short time later.

HTB money or no HTB money you'd be doing well to flip a property in 1 year and not make a loss when you take into account all the extra costs with buying.

Unless prices are absolutely rocketing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

HTB money or no HTB money you'd be doing well to flip a property in 1 year and not make a loss when you take into account all the extra costs with buying.

Oh true, but really what I think the issue was was that the bought on the outskirts of a town that was just too far away.

When they tried to sell only 12 months later, the house was no longer new so they were less attractive to FTBs.

They took a hit on loss of HTB money (liable for refund as less than 5 years), slight loss on the value of the house, and then they had buying and selling costs again. If I had to guess, I'd say the whole folly probably cost them around €30/40k.

But the lifestyle was killing them, commutes of up to 2 hours each way, coupled with no real sense of community in the town. The knew no one there when they arrived and I'd say bar saying polite hello's to immediate neighbours, that hadnt changed 12 months later. It didnt make any financial sense, but I guess they just knew they had to take the hit.

There is also the fact that they're no longer eligible for the HTB grant- so the subsequent purchase will be so much more difficult for them...… No HTB grant to assist with the deposit, and a deposit requirement of 20% versus 10%...……..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭Marius34

New houses are bought not only by FTB. I can't imagine, that same property sold on second hand market looses 5% in value.. Maybe 1-2%, but not 5%. As a second time buyer wanting to buy A/B rated new or recently built I would look what can I get best for value. And what if HTB incentive would be 100K? Identical houses would be 100K different in price value depending if it's sold as new or Second hand?

Marius34 wrote: »
    New houses are bought not only by FTB. I can't imagine, that same property sold on second hand market looses 5% in value.. Maybe 1-2%, but not 5%. As a second time buyer wanting to buy A/B rated new or recently built I would look what can I get best for value. And what if HTB incentive would be 100K? Identical houses would be 100K different in price value depending if it's sold as new or Second hand?

Fewer than half of all new houses make the open market (fully half are snapped up by REITs, Housing Associations, Local Authorities, Vulture Funds etc). Of those that do make the open market- a FTB has half the deposit requirement of a non-FTB- and they get a 20k 'grant' (tax rebate) into their hands which can be used towards the deposit- with similar lending multiples as for any other purchaser. Aka- the playing field is massively tilted in favour of the FTB- subsequent buyers are not excluded from the market- however, the cards are stacked against them. On the other hand- a secondhand property has no such HTB grant towards the deposit for a prospective buyer- however, the FTB is still incentivised over a subsequent buyer- by virtue of the lower deposit requirement.

There is active assistance towards FTBs- through both the deposit rules- and also they qualify for a tax rebate that subsequent purchasers do not.

I can easily imagine a 1 year old property loosing some of its initial price- to what extent depends on a lot of factors, not least of which is the prevailing state of the market- aka if average prices are rising by 3-4% (possible in some areas) its unlikely that a 1 year old property will suffer too badly in its resale price- however, all things else being equal, it would be more attractive to a subsequent buyer- who gets the A-B house at a discount, than a FTB who won't get their 'grant' towards its purchase.

Its all hypothetical- and every situation is unique- you could end up in a situation where there was little interest in a property and have to discount it further to shift it- or you could get a bidding war- and a boon...….

Either way- you really have to appreciate just how different a FTB is from someone else- and once you see what governs a FTB- any divergence from this governance- makes it less likely that a FTB will buy your house- and more likely that a subsequent buyer has a better shout-in on it.

The 10% and 20% deposit requirements are tough barriers for everyone- but a FTB gets a massive help towards their 10%- when this help is taken out of the equation- its massive, its terminal for many FTBs- unless there is a fundamental reason for them to look at a secondhand property- such as a massive discount on what it would otherwise cost. As for the non-subsequent buyer and the 20% deposit requirement- bridging loans used exist for covering the time between selling a property and buying a new one- and once upon a time people had sizeable equity in their homes. Bridging loans no longer exist- and lots of people do not have sizeable equity in their homes, even if they're not in negative equity...….. So- they're stuck.

Yea but STBs have means available to them that FTBs do not. STBs have been paying a mortgage instead of paying rent, they may have equity available to them.

Though I do accept that argument about the 10% versus 20%, but I can also see why it's like that. Asking a lot for someone to save 20% of today's prices from scratch with today's rent prices.

I'm aware that HTB, is quite small portion of new property. Around 5K, same STB for new property around 5K. So it's equal number of players in new builds. I do agree that Central Bank has big impact on Price, what seems not releastic, that 5% incentives, directly associated with 5% increase of new build. More likely 2%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Queasy Tadpole

I'm looking to buy at the moment and is it me or has the market completely slowed down?

I was in this position last year and had to hold off, the difference in properties coming up for sale in my view is crazy.

Prices seem the same to me yet the availability of properties seems way lower.

Marius34 wrote: »
    I'm aware that HTB, is quite small portion of new property. Around 5K, same STB for new property around 5K. So it's equal number of players in new builds. I do agree that Central Bank has big impact on Price, what seems not releastic, that 5% incentives, directly associated with 5% increase of new build. More likely 2%

HTB is up to 20k or 5% of the value of a property- whichever is lower.
    The STB needs a 20% deposit for a new property.
    It most certainly is *not* an equal number of players in new builds- mortgage figures from the Central Bank depict this sharply.

I'm not clear what you're saying about 5% incentives and 5% increase in new builds. New builds increased from under a thousand units to over 20k units in 2019.

The Central bank rules are a 10% deposit requirement for First Time Buyers- and a 20% deposit for any subsequent buyers.

Can you clarify what you mean by 5% and 2% changes in build increases- I'd love to know what premise you're basing this on- and indeed, how it relates to the current situation we find ourselves in.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

I'm looking to buy at the moment and is it me or has the market completely slowed down?

I was in this position last year and had to hold off, the difference in properties coming up for sale in my view is crazy.

Giveaway election on at the moment
    brexit 2 days away from properly kicking off
    just out of broke january
    values not going up as weve hit central bank caps
    itll be another month before the market is sure what way things are panning out.

The length of time to sell a property has lengthened considerably- much to the worry of estate agents. Some people are lowering prices to try and generate interest- however, the memo isn't out there yet, lots of people don't like what they're hearing and are holding out in the expectation that they'll get a better price if they hold off selling.

There are a lot of executor sales and sales of BTL properties out there at the moment- and the condition many of these in is pretty appalling.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

The length of time to sell a property has lengthened considerably- much to the worry of estate agents. Some people are lowering prices to try and generate interest- however, the memo isn't out there yet, lots of people don't like what they're hearing and are holding out in the expectation that they'll get a better price if they hold off selling.

There are a lot of executor sales and sales of BTL properties out there at the moment- and the condition many of these in is pretty appalling.

this is the issue with the agents, supply is catching up and the CB cap hit really means the room for growth has ground to a halt but many in leafier parts are still in negative equity and the BTL market is trashed as small landlords cant afford to enter the market.

HTB is up to 20k or 5% of the value of a property- whichever is lower.
    The STB needs a 20% deposit for a new property.
    It most certainly is *not* an equal number of players in new builds- mortgage figures from the Central Bank depict this sharply.

I'm not clear what you're saying about 5% incentives and 5% increase in new builds. New builds increased from under a thousand units to over 20k units in 2019.

The Central bank rules are a 10% deposit requirement for First Time Buyers- and a 20% deposit for any subsequent buyers.

Can you clarify what you mean by 5% and 2% changes in build increases- I'd love to know what premise you're basing this on- and indeed, how it relates to the current situation we find ourselves in.

Sorry, for not being clear, I was in rush at the time of typing.
    So, HTB scheme is a refund for FTB of 5% of the value of the property, up to €20,000.
    In the previous post it was stated, that this is nothing but extra 20K for developers, or 20K in property price increase for New Builds. What I’m saying that this incentives does not really directly drive 5% or 20K in property price, as you need include other players (STB,Buy/Build2Let,Council), and overall demand/supply in order to estimate how much it drives the final price.

In regards of number of players, I meant for the New Builds. Which are roughly 5K properties for HTB, and 5K properties for STB in the year of 2019, meaning it similar numbers of HTB and STB in new build sector (I'm not including additional ~11K new builds for other players). Please let me know if you think otherwise, what would be your number for STB on New Builds, and how do you get it different?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,445 ✭✭✭fliball123

A lot of sellers are holding off and are now renting out the property instead of selling with the 100% mortgage interest relief on a rental property you can have someone in there paying your mortgage while you move to a new house. So that is also starving supply. I think prices will stay put for the next year and with certainty on Brexit and once the G.E is done with and the goodies thrown at first time buyers come in then prices will go up. All parties are throwing money at FTBs and this raises prices. That is historically the case.

Yea but STBs have means available to them that FTBs do not. STBs have been paying a mortgage instead of paying rent, they may have equity available to them.

Though I do accept that argument about the 10% versus 20%, but I can also see why it's like that. Asking a lot for someone to save 20% of today's prices from scratch with today's rent prices.

I struggle to understand the deposit requirements, the bias towards FTB above STB baffles me and I don’t understand how it’s supposed to prevent another housing crash - are they indicating second hand homes will devalue 10% more than a FTB newly built home would if a crash happened again.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭tazdustdevil

It’s very unfair as many STB’s are those who were most impacted by the crash of 2009 and who if they became unintentional landlords also paid huge amounts in income tax. The whole system is rotten.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 247 ✭✭car_radio19834

What's a single person supposed to do to afford a house?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement