Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭cml387

if it opens again as a bar it will be ok.
    But perhaps the license is long gone.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

cml387 wrote: »
    if it opens again as a bar it will be ok.
    But perhaps the license is long gone.

The licence is seperate from the pub, they sold that shortly after Lonergans closed. So the only way we'll see it re-open as a pub is if whoever buys it has a licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

I met Mr Mountains there 20 years ago :(

Happy memories.
    We used to stay "late" and then get a lift home (they lived out the same way as we did).:o

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭copy1

Carpenter wanted: to build outdoor seating area,please send PM cash waiting

• Advertisement

I see on FB that O'Tuamas Cafe is closing...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Vizzy

I think that it closed on friday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Is there anything left in that shopping centre now ?. AS everything has closed down now expect peter marks ?.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭tommiet

Peter marks are relocating to the show grounds shopping centre, as far as i know..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Is there anything left in that shopping centre now ?. AS everything has closed down now expect peter marks ?.

Hopefully with everything closed something can happen with the place.

• Advertisement

Rumour I heard was that it was being converted into housing.

Didn't hear that but would make sense and anything would be better than what's there now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,069 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Didn't hear that but would make sense and anything would be better than what's there now

Good quality housing is good for the town centre. Parisians live in the middle of the city. People bring vibrancy to a town centre.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Maymack

Be great if someone would buy Lonergans pub & the emerald Garden and redevelop it into huge venue. A venue where serve good pub grub & late night bar with bands & club.
    I think a mixed use development would be good for market place. Multistory car park with apartments & retail on ground floor. A retail unit large enough to accommodate a department store like Debenhams or Shaws.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭julyjane

With the footfall from surrounding shops gone it's not surprising about O'Tuamas unfortunately. Housing sounds like an ideal use of the area but I'd imagine it's not as simple as just converting shops to houses/apartments. Would there be red tape involved in re zoning or are there already apartments there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭rucksack

Maymack wrote: »
    Be great if someone would buy Lonergans pub & the emerald Garden and redevelop it into huge venue. A venue where serve good pub grub & late night bar with bands & club.
    I think a mixed use development would be good for market place. Multistory car park with apartments & retail on ground floor. A retail unit large enough to accommodate a department store like Debenhams or Shaws.
    unless there is free parking we would not patronise it. the showground ans tesco and dunnes and woodies have free parking. No way are we paying to park to shop

rucksack wrote: »
    unless there is free parking we would not patronise it. the showground ans tesco and dunnes and woodies have free parking. No way are we paying to park to shop

I don't know where this Utopia is where you don't have to pay to shop.
    Sure there are large out of town (though one might argue the the Showgrounds is in town) shops with free parking, but then we complain about the town centre dying.

I'm happy to pay occasionally when I park in town, it's hardly a king's ransom.

What town or city don't you pay to park to shop?

I don't know where this Utopia is where you don't have to pay to shop.
    Sure there are large out of town (though one might argue the the Showgrounds is in town) shops with free parking, but then we complain about the town centre dying.

I'm happy to pay occasionally when I park in town, it's hardly a king's ransom.
    i said pay to park to shop so don't try to misquote me to make your point. you pay if you want. we won't pay to park in Clonmel

What town or city don't you pay to park to shop?
    there is free parking at showgrounds/dunnes/woodies/tescos and also in several places in waterford and kilkenny and limerick outside of town/city centre

The showgrounds in Clonmel is a great place to shop and so is poppyfields with its costa coffee shop. Lovely coffee there and free parking. No rushing back to the car in case you are five minutes late.

• Advertisement

Clonmel - the rumour and pub talk capital of Ireland

i said pay to park to shop so don't try to misquote me to make your point. you pay if you want. we won't pay to park in Clonmel

Sorry I didn't intend to imply that you meant free shopping:o

Paid parking in town is required to deter all day parking by people who work in town, thereby depriving shoppers the ability to come in and park for a short time.
    The fees earned help to pay for local services (and yes I know about Mary St.)
    And paid parking pays for traffic wardens to enforce traffic laws,double parking, obstructive parking etc. which would hinder people coming into town to shop..

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Maymack

Unfortunately there will never be free parking in the town centre. Maybe sometime in the future, although I think unlikely the government might give extra funding to county council's so they don't need to charge for parking to create funding. Definitely needs to be parking incentives to get & keep people in town centre's, like you get three hours parking for €2. Also think all shops in Clonmel should take advantage of no traffic wardens or pay parking in the town on Sundays. Every shop open & free parking for everyone.

Sorry I didn't intend to imply that you meant free shopping:o

Paid parking in town is required to deter all day parking by people who work in town, thereby depriving shoppers the ability to come in and park for a short time.
    The fees earned help to pay for local services (and yes I know about Mary St.)
    And paid parking pays for traffic wardens to enforce traffic laws,double parking, obstructive parking etc. which would hinder people coming into town to shop..
    no problem:)
    and yes I know about Mary St
    what happens there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

Dungarvan is a great example, 30 mins free in certain areas, then pay after that. Perfect for a quick stop to collect something but generally end up staying much longer due to the boutique shopping, great restaurants and cafes.
    Clonmel unfortunately has the wrong style of shopping for the town centre, lots of big retailers that are easier to get to in other towns/cities or can be ordered from online which means you can opt to avoid the parking nightmare that is the town centre. We also have an over abundance of €2 style shops and very few good inviting restaurants.
    I'm surprised a spar or centra hasn't moved in somewhere, with superquinn gone, there isn't really a place to buy small groceries (fruit,veg,carton of milk etc) right in the town centre anymore.
    I expect Mary St car park to be an absolute disaster when it's up and running and will only force more traffic onto the Quay or through Morton/William/Queen St to get back across town. In turn, more people will stay away from the town centre.
    Ps I would love to see someone develop lonergans into a good venue/nightclub as suggested, badly needed in a town of this size.

no problem:)
    what happens there?

The council sold the car park to a private company.

Who are the "We" you mention? Your family,friends,relations,..I presume,you don't assume, you are posting on behalf of all of "us"...

Who are the "We" you mention? Your family,friends,relations,..I presume,you don't assume, you are posting on behalf of all of "us"...

what do you think? why would i assume i am talking about everyone here

Dungarvan is a great example, 30 mins free in certain areas, then pay after that. Perfect for a quick stop to collect something but generally end up staying much longer due to the boutique shopping, great restaurants and cafes.
    Clonmel unfortunately has the wrong style of shopping for the town centre, lots of big retailers that are easier to get to in other towns/cities or can be ordered from online which means you can opt to avoid the parking nightmare that is the town centre. We also have an over abundance of €2 style shops and very few good inviting restaurants.
    I'm surprised a spar or centra hasn't moved in somewhere, with superquinn gone, there isn't really a place to buy small groceries (fruit,veg,carton of milk etc) right in the town centre anymore.
    I expect Mary St car park to be an absolute disaster when it's up and running and will only force more traffic onto the Quay or through Morton/William/Queen St to get back across town. In turn, more people will stay away from the town centre.
    Ps I would love to see someone develop lonergans into a good venue/nightclub as suggested, badly needed in a town of this size.
    why do you think Mary Street park will be a disaster? We will not be going there anyway as 30 mins free is hardly time to do much

• Advertisement

why do you think Mary Street park will be a disaster? We will not be going there anyway as 30 mins free is hardly time to do much

Dungarvan is a nice town but 30 minutes is about all you'd need in the shops down there. Apples and Oranges.

Advertisement