Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 244 Masvidal v Diaz

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,526 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Good stoppage. The BMF belt was a cringe fest as expected. Nate is a punchbag.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭joeguevara

The mma Community are such a bunch of blood thirsty eejits.

If that was boxing, no way in hell would that fight have continued, so why should it be any difference for an mma fighter? That was a bad cut, a very bad one in fact.

Another thing that I've always thought though, the cutmen in the ufc are terrible, absolutely terrible.

Tyson fury eye was way worse and not stopped. I'm happy with the stoppage here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

joeguevara wrote: »
    Tyson fury eye was way worse and not stopped. I'm happy with the stoppage here.

I can't disagree with you on the tyson fury cut, but his cut man stopped tubby bleeding, plus he was winning. Nate was a punchbag.

For all we know that cut was on the bone. Then it's really susceptible to infection etc..... The stop was legit.

But I know where you're coming from. It inconsistent at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,098 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I can't disagree with you on the tyson fury cut, but his cut man stopped tubby bleeding, plus he was winning. Nate was a punchbag.
    Whether he was winning or not is irrelevant in terms of the doctors decision.
    For all we know that cut was on the bone. Then it's really susceptible to infection etc..... The stop was legit.
    The cut already exists. 10 minutes isn’t going to make much difference to stopping infection or not. That’s not the reason the doctor stopped it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,647 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Mellor wrote:
    The cut already exists. 10 minutes isn’t going to make much difference to stopping infection or not. That’s not the reason the doctor stopped it.
    What was the reason he stopped it? Obviously you have something official with that statement of fact?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Cuts like that can be particularly dangerous with regards to vision, nerve damage in the eyebrow and eyelid could leave a person unable to open the eye. For me it was borderline but hard to argue against it

eagle eye wrote: »
    What was the reason he stopped it? Obviously you have something official with that statement of fact?
    Which part of my post suggest I have an official statement. :confused:

The doctor assesses the fighter. It’s not his job to consider the scoring so far. That just basic stuff tbh. Fights are stopped due to fighter safety, blood going into their eyes, swelling if the eye etc. Not because they might get infected. Which could happen just as likely, regardless of stopping the fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Sickening to see most of the chat on social media is that Jorge was starting to tire and Diaz was starting to get going. He got whooped and would have continued to be whooped or knocked out even

• Registered Users Posts: 37,647 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

US2 wrote:
    Sickening to see most of the chat on social media is that Jorge was starting to tire and Diaz was starting to get going. He got whooped and would have continued to be whooped or knocked out even
    Based on their history, or at least on Nate's history, there was always a chance he could turn it around.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

US2 wrote: »

Nate tends to turn it up more in the later rounds, although Jorge looked like he'd get the tko eventually.
    Then again, you never really can count a Diaz out until the final bell rings

• Advertisement

He clearly lost the first 3 rounds, was on the floor in round 3.

He only ever had a 4th and 5th round twice in his career and lost both.. where does this "he always picks it up in the championship rounds come from?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,526 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Darren Till. What a tit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

A lot of people talking about likelihood of Nate coming in the 4th and 5th are likely basing that on McGregor gassing in the two fights three years ago.

Masvidal was beating the **** out of him and showing no sign of starting to gas.

The Nal wrote: »
    Darren Till. What a tit.

?

A lot of people talking about likelihood of Nate coming in the 4th and 5th are likely basing that on McGregor gassing in the two fights three years ago.

Masvidal was beating the **** out of him and showing no sign of starting to gas.

?

And he lost round 4 against a gassed out McGregor?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,616 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Diaz by ko/tko
    UFC: "We're going to retire the Knockout of the Night bonus as we believe in this age of enlightenment about CTE, that it sends out the wrong message"

Also UFC: "Wow that was a brutal leg kick knockout. Now let's watch it in slow motion and then listen back to the sound of it in real time!"

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

I think Nate and his corner should have at least been warned.

In a sense, the call was fine (damage not inconsiderable and the potential for worsening imminet and real), however the process was very dissatisfactory.

All that said, I've personally no issue with the outcome really. Nate didn't seem to have much to trouble Jorge with, not even in the clinch. The severity (or not) of the cut seems to be conversational for most folk, but, right or wrong, that doc was also watching Nate eat repeated bombs. Not his call to make in that sense, but undoubetdly had bearing on his decision...

Really all this just highlights UFC and various commissions continued working relationship problems. Clearly processes around these kinds of things and judging need to be improved and standardised, and more fail-safes introduced. Think rugby, where referees can proactively confer with TMO etc, rules being exceedingly clear. It's improving, but it's a way off at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Diaz by ko/tko
    The Nal wrote: »
    Darren Till. What a tit.

Don't get the Till bashing whatsoever. His post-fight press conference was one of the most honest and refreshing interviews I've ever seen from a pro fighter. Fair play to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

Big fan of Nate, ultimate tough guy, but he was not winning that fight no matter how long it went for and he won't win a rematch either, think Dana is making the right call just leave it as is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

That’s 4 years now if MSG. For me the card hasn’t been as exciting this last 2 years as it was in 16/17. In 2016 you had Conor becoming the champ champ but 2017 was even better, 3 title fights all going to the challenger, GSP beating Bisping, TJ beating Cody and Rose beating Joanna. What a card that was. I didn’t get too excited by this year.

ricero wrote: »
    Don't get the Till bashing whatsoever. His post-fight press conference was one of the most honest and refreshing interviews I've ever seen from a pro fighter. Fair play to him.

Absolutely, don't see how anything over the last 24 hours makes him a tit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭Homelander

Masvidal by submission
    Don't really get the controversy either, as if it was some sort of dead heat....Masvidal was knocking him around the ring, didn't look tired, and not only did he have almost double the significant strikes, they in themselves were far more powerful strikes that what was getting thrown back too.

Obviously there's always a chance of a comeback, but considering the above, and the fact that Nate had a not insignificant cut above his eye and the doc knew he was eating punches, I think the stoppage was fine. The far better man won, and won fairly. Don't even really see the need for any rematch, just let it go, Nate got absolutely whipped.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Diaz by ko/tko
    Homelander wrote: »
    Don't even really see the need for any rematch, just let it go, Nate got absolutely whipped.

I can't see any issue with having a rematch myself. But maybe Nate needs a longer turnaround to let his eye heal, or perhaps get surgery on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Masvidal is negotiating at the big boys table now. He will be fighter of the year this year, so he can pick whatever next fight us right for him. He can choose between a **** at Usman/Colby for the welterweight title, or a money spinning BMF defence against Mcgregor, or a less lucrative defence vs Nate to showcase what a great guy he is.

Please. Stylebender is fighter of the year no question. Won one of the greatest fights of all time and then absolutely demolished a champion.

Both Covington and Usman would wreck Masvidal 50-45 or worse.

UFC: "We're going to retire the Knockout of the Night bonus as we believe in this age of enlightenment about CTE, that it sends out the wrong message"

The name change had nothing to do with CTE or sending out the wrong message.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Both Covington and Usman would wreck Masvidal 50-45 or worse.

He is well capable of beating anybody in the division at the moment. Different animal since he came back this year. After running through the three men he just has dismissing him as a no hoper against anyone is silly.

Masvidal vs Colby would be excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭HappyAsLarE

Don’t get all the shock and outrage of this fight being called off by the doc. He is both qualified and obligated to make a judgement on a fighters safety. Diaz was lit up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

US2 wrote: »

People saying Nate took round 3 on two judges scorecards. And the cards doing the rounds that say otherwise are photoshopped.
    Diaz are fans are weird.

He can choose between a **** at Usman/Colby for the welterweight title, or a money spinning BMF defence against Mcgregor,
    Masvidal and McGregor are in different divisions.
    derfderf wrote: »
    People saying Nate took round 3 on two judges scorecards. And the cards doing the rounds that say otherwise are photoshopped.
    Diaz are fans are weird.
    Won't be long before a photo-shopped version is released as the "original".

He was up 30-26 for anyone who is wondering.

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    Masvidal and McGregor are in different divisions.

Won't be long before a photo-shopped version is released as the "original".

He was up 30-26 for anyone who is wondering.

Which round was giving 10-8?

Advertisement