Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 244 Masvidal v Diaz

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

joeguevara wrote: »
    Doctor out ranks ref in making decisions to stop fight for medical reasons.

So the doctor should be banned from ever officiating an MMA or boxing match again.

tuxy wrote: »
    You're talking to someone who didn't even know a doctor can stop a fight......

And you're the idiot who thinks that was a perfectly acceptable end to a fight.

It wasn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

So the doctor should be banned from ever officiating an MMA or boxing match again.

Based on what regulations?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭str8talkingguy

You need to stop listening to Joe Rogan his eyebrow was hanging on for dear life,we might a seen one or two worse ones in vegas but it looked bad enough to me,granted i was watching it on a stream wouldn't mind a pic of it myself to clarify how bad it was,but i'm ok with that stoppage he was getting brutalized anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

No.
    The cut was nowhere near bad enough to end the fight
    Jorge was winning, the bad doctor's call cheapened the result.

Did I say it was? I said the cut was vicious. Pretending otherwise is moronic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Very interesting article on the evolution of nates eyebrow cut. It's getting worse and about 40-50% strength of a normal eyebrow.

https://www.vice.com/en_au/article/yp8bzj/fight-doctor-nate-diazs-right-eyebrow-and-the-80-rule

• Registered Users Posts: 21,377 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Diaz by ko/tko
    That cut might heal up in time to do the rematch for Fight Week 2020.

Masvidal vs. Nate as the main event, Nick vs. that doctor as co-main with Mario Yamasaki reffing it. Give the fans what they want.

joeguevara wrote: »
    Very interesting article on the evolution of nates eyebrow cut. It's getting worse and about 40-50% strength of a normal eyebrow.

https://www.vice.com/en_au/article/yp8bzj/fight-doctor-nate-diazs-right-eyebrow-and-the-80-rule

Yes, interesting. The first time Masvidal gave that area a light tap it started to weep blood.
    Is there any procedure that Diaz can have done on it to help going forward?
    martyos121 wrote: »
    That cut might heal up in time to do the rematch for Fight Week 2020.

The problems is it never really heals even given a long time, it just continues to get worse.

Yes, interesting. The first time Masvidal gave that area a light tap it started to weep blood.

The problems is it never really heals even given a long time, it just continues to get worse.

I see you're new to combat sports.

Bye now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Go to bed Marcos.

• Advertisement

I see you're new to combat sports.

Bye now.

I'm a big Nate fan, he was clearly losing, but that ref is a ****ing moron and should never be allowed near a cage again.

Which ref would have done a better job?
    I do appreciate any info from experienced fight fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,377 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Diaz by ko/tko

He can have scar revision to improve it but it’ll never be 100%.

And I never claimed it would heal fully, but any cut is given at least 3 months of a suspension for it to heal up sufficiently. Been watching combat sports long enough to know about cuts, and this one was a harsh stoppage.

se.

Scar revision surgery like his brother. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wired.com/2011/03/mma-plastic-surgery/amp

• Registered Users Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Every fan wanted more sure naturally but glaringly obvious if you're in that doctors shoes you might just call that sadly.

Round 3 was Diaz best round not sure he won it but was interested to see if he could build into the late ones, he's somewhat bailed out getting a rematch.

Entertaining night maybe the most enjoyable card this year even if the co main was dull enough and the main event was anti climactic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,725 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

I was worried the fight would be stopped between rounds 1 and 2. It was a very deep and wide open cut. They stuck half a jar of vaseline into it and it still looked bad.

I have no problem with the stoppage.

Every fan wanted more sure naturally but glaringly obvious if you're in that doctors shoes you might just call that sadly.

Round 3 was Diaz best round not sure he won it but was interested to see if he could build into the late ones, he's somewhat bailed out getting a rematch.

Entertaining night maybe the most enjoyable card this year even if the co main was dull enough and the main event was anti climactic.

Totally agree. Amazing fights. Some absolute wars. Amazing to see fighters eat punches and still move forward. Been a long time since I was so excited before fights and most delivered.

Stoppage was a let down. But doc is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. Nate couldn't see because of blood in his eyes and he was getting clobbered although got some crackers in too. I don't think doc can take into account that nate comes good in 4 and 5. I am also not sure how much of an influence the recent boxing strategy would affect a decision where a person's vision was impaired and was getting hammered in the face. Probably none but could a little.

Thought both fighters showed respect to each other at the end.

Diaz's face looked like one of those prosthetic Halloween masks. Masvidal took him out the back.

Is the doctors decision based on how dangerous he thinks the cut is in terms of permanent damage or the fact the Nate could barely see out of that eye because of blood?
    What exactly is he looking for in such cases?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

When you take into account the cuts on Nate's face and the fact he'd been beaten for three rounds straight the doctor calling it isnt a terrible decision.

The doctor doesn't care that 'maybe Masvidal will tire' - he just beat the **** out of Nate for three rounds, is this going to stop is what he's thinking.

Fromvert wrote: »
    When you take into account the cuts on Nate's face and the fact he'd been beaten for three rounds straight the doctor calling it isnt a terrible decision.

The doctor doesn't care that 'maybe Masvidal will tire' - he just beat the **** out of Nate for three rounds, is this going to stop is what he's thinking.

Yes the fans are all thinking about what may happen in the future and the doctor has to make a call on what he sees at that very moment. Two very different viewpoints.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭str8talkingguy

Mostly just people with bets on Nate and get influenced by Joes commentary,yeah theres been some worse ones in vegas but not sure if there has been many as bad as that where the fighter wasn't defending or able to protect it better.

Nate didn't look like he was gonna be able to protect that cut,Furys cut was as bad but he was well able to protect that side of his face.Nate didn't seem capable to defend himself enough to warrant it continuing imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

FOFN: Thompson/Luque

POTN's: Lee, Anderson

• Registered Users Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Y
    The first time Masvidal gave that area a light tap it started to weep blood.

Lol, yeah. A light tap it was.

EmptyDiscreteLadybug-size_restricted.gif

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Lol, yeah. A light tap it was.

EmptyDiscreteLadybug-size_restricted.gif

That gif makes it seem like Nate is incapable of defending one of his main know weak spots.
    As a Nate fan I categorically disagree with that.

That gif makes it seem like Nate is incapable of defending one of his main know weak spots.

I'm confused. He got hit by an elbow, fist and foot. Doesn't mean he s incapable of defending.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,140 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Jorge was winning, the bad doctor's call cheapened the result.
    This.

Jorge was on route to a TKO in the 4th. Now we have a situation where people will have an asterisk next to Jorge’s win.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,140 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Are you denying that the gif happened??? Wtf

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Virgin box didn't record this for some reason. Weigh ins and prelims no problem but the main card, nah. Bollo)(. . . . I may as well just read through this thread so

Have there been many jokes about SBG cardio (or lack there of) yet????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

Watch everyone lap up Nate saying he was holding back until the late rounds.
    Jorge ran through him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

The mma Community are such a bunch of blood thirsty eejits.

If that was boxing, no way in hell would that fight have continued, so why should it be any difference for an mma fighter? That was a bad cut, a very bad one in fact.

Another thing that I've always thought though, the cutmen in the ufc are terrible, absolutely terrible.

Advertisement