Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone Own a House in Dublin as a Single Person?

Options
  • 22-01-2021 2:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭

Details, facts, experiences. I want to hear it all, good or bad doesn't matter!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Thats a lot of information. Are you sharing any yourself ?

Good: no-one interfering with your choice of furnishings and decor

Bad: no-one interfering with your bad choices of furnishings and decor

(cue new girlfriend on her first visit: “what the f did you do?!”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

You also want my mothers maiden name and the name of my first pet?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

You show me yours ..and I'll show you mine!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,365 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

House or home?

I have worked with a few single people who have purchased a home in Dublin more so an apartment but two I know of purchased a house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,007 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

One of my biggest bugbears is standing charges for gas and electricity. They're the same whether one person is living in a house or ten. Ditto management fees, TV licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Caranica wrote: »
    One of my biggest bugbears is standing charges for gas and electricity. They're the same whether one person is living in a house or ten. Ditto management fees, TV licence.

Have you considered polygamy? With seven wives, your tv licence would only cost €20 per person. Something to think about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 letithappen

Details:
    Bought a house in Dublin by myself.
    Facts:
    Saving is hard.
    Experience:
    Stressful, but worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

Done it. Love it.

Internals were fine but a little dated (90's) when I purchased. Was able to redecorate room by room to my liking and standard.

Don't really see any difference between buying as a single or buying as a couple (other than a couple having 2 salaries to contribute).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Good: no-one interfering with your choice of furnishings and decor

Bad: no-one interfering with your bad choices of furnishings and decor

(cue new girlfriend on her first visit: “what the f did you do?!”

Not Dublin but a very close commuter town and yeah, that was her response!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

Done it, single parent single income.

Only possible for me by living with family to save and then putting 20% down. House is fundamentally sound but dated in many ways but those are just going to have to be done incrementally. Was saving €650 a month more than my mortgage is although bills are obviously more now.

Definitely worth it though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Done it, single parent single income.

Only possible for me by living with family to save and then putting 20% down. House is fundamentally sound but dated in many ways but those are just going to have to be done incrementally. Was saving €650 a month more than my mortgage is although bills are obviously more now.

Definitely worth it though

Well done you, that is a fantastic achievement for anyone but especially with kid(s) too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Yes, bought a 3 bed in Lucan in 2010, aged 28. Had fallen from 360k in 2008 to 220k when I bought it.
    Worth about 320k if I was to sell today.

Got mortgage with 1 payslip, no p60 from previous year was asked for. Had credit card bill at the time too, was small enough but never had to clear it.

Easier times I suppose. Banks didn't give a toss, and that was after they got burned in crash and after bailout.

Girlfriend officially lives here now, but technically lived here on my own for 8 years or so. Paying mortgage, all bills, home decor expenses on my own was a challenge in the early days but I earn a lot more now and it's handy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

Well done you, that is a fantastic achievement for anyone but especially with kid(s) too.

Only one in fairness and there's no issue with financial support from his Dad for childcare etc. I didn't look for an exemption but I got the full 3.5 times my salary.

Quite a different story from the above poster though as I bought this year and needed up to date payslips etc. the whole way through the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Yes i bought 3 years ago a 3 bed in dublin. Love my house but its very old and needs alot of work so i have to save everymonth for each project. I had been saving for approx 10 years without any purpose . ..just saving ... and then i used that savings as a deposit

Advertisement