Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cold Spell Forecasts and Synoptic Forecast Discussion - 26/11/1020 onwards

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

i think people should heed tobeconfirmed warning. i hate to be a party pooper but what he said need to be considered so people aren't left bitterly disappointed. i'm suspicious anytime snow is forecasted to be significant. we saw what happened towards the end of the big freeze last year when there was all the panic buying and all the east saw was rain.

Sleet actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

MilanPan!c wrote: »
    Anyone really know when:

The snow is supposed to hit?
    The M50 will be gritted?

We're seriously considering sticking my mum in a hotel tonight, so she doesn't miss her plane.

Is that crazy?
    MilanPan!c I am up in Balbriggan so the best I can do is keep you up date from here.....BUT... I would imagine M1-M50 will be gritted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Tomorrow

Tomorrow the heavy snow showers will continue in the east and some isolated snow showers could affect the far south coast. But otherwise it will be mostly dry and sunny. The northeasterly wind will strengthen creating blizzard conditions along coastal counties of the south and east. It will remain bitterly cold with top temperatures only between -1 and 2 degrees.

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 407 ✭✭AfterDusk

MilanPan!c wrote: »
    Anyone really know when:

The snow is supposed to hit?
    The M50 will be gritted?

We're seriously considering sticking my mum in a hotel tonight, so she doesn't miss her plane.

Is that crazy?

The roads should be gritted, but if it's gonna be as bad as forecasted, I seriously doubt the DAA could cope with it as per usual. The Clarion is only 69 yoyos and that's about as close as you can get to the airport :)

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

neil2304 wrote: »
    The roads should be gritted, but if it's gonna be as bad as forecasted, I seriously doubt the DAA could cope with it as per usual. The Clarion is only 69 yoyos and that's about as close as you can get to the airport :)

The next tab over, was is their website....

I guess an ounce or prevention...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Gonzo wrote: »
    thaw has just started here, its about 4C milder than yesterday. This time yesterday it was -5C in Dublin Airport, its now 0C and about to go positive. I think things are alot more marginal than met eireann are predicting.

1C in Trim now, was about -2C this time yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

now snowing in Balrothery Nth County Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

I can see some good showers not too far to my north, not showing on the radar though.

Met Eireann openly talking about 25cm of snow in places and blizzard conditions....in November.

Pretty amazing really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭inabina

those near radio, put on radio 1 now for weather 1250

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

The last time Met Eireann predicted heavy snow for Dublin and widespread armageddon, it resulted in the end of the big freeze (for me anyway), a mixture of sleet and rain melted everything within 24 hours.
    So i'll believe it when I see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

I think Darman said yesterday there would be a slight temp rise today, but will be brought back down from tommorow, then it looks like its could get a bit milder towards the weekend, hope that atlantic muck dosent come back

my EXTREMELY CALM father in law just said to me, book a room NOW in a hotel... as soon as this info sinks in, these rooms will be gone!

eeek!

So, currently booking a hotel room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

Are there any approaching systems to the south of Ireland, that could lead to a battle ground? With large amounts of snow? I know there were talks about the a low coming up from the south. If that happened it surely would be epic for us in Cork :D

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

Forget it Corkie!! Dream on.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭monaghanman10

starting to snow at the raddison in booterstown

Spindle wrote: »
    Are there any approaching systems to the south of Ireland, that could lead to a battle ground? With large amounts of snow? I know there were talks about the a low coming up from the south. If that happened it surely would be epic for us in Cork :D

Maybe towards the weekend, but wont be really much in cork would be more rain and sleet

Successfully booked into Clarion at Airport... whew...

getting SUPER grey here in Rathfarnham... I lived a decade in Boston, and that grey says SNOW to me!

Eeeeeeek!

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Snowing now in Dublin city centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

Snowing in city centre now..im up on pembroke street.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

5starpool wrote: »
    Snowing now in Dublin city centre.

Jinx :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭Goldenegg

Starting to snow now in Dublin 1

Jaysoose wrote: »
    Jinx :D

Stopping now anyways. From the radar, it just skimmed us here. Darker skies to the south though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

Can I have a link to the radar!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

www.raintoday.co.uk

inabina wrote: »
    those near radio, put on radio 1 now for weather 1250

How was it?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

6AM Precip looks good

attachment.php?attachmentid=137167&stc=1&d=1291036817

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭irishdub14

http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp?ani=y

• Registered Users Posts: 29 fitefuaite

verportal.map?LAYERS=background%2Cproff.Nedbor_1t%2Ccoastlines&FORMAT=image%2Fpng&EXCEPTIONS=application%2Fvnd.ogc.se_xml&SERVICE=WMS&VERSION=1.1.1&REQUEST=GetMap&STYLES=&SRS=EPSG%3A41000&TIME=2010-11-30T07%3A00&BBOX=-1249.9053966372,6881.2398781533,-624.43268319178,7506.7125915988&WIDTH=512&HEIGHT=512

Definitely snow for later tonight for the midlands....

http://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Laois/Portlaoise/advanced_map.html

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Victor Meldrew

a few flakes off St Stephens green (looking west).

but it's stopped now...

• Advertisement

Nice forecast from Nuala Carey on Rte 1:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭nilhg

Clara Finkler just forecast 10 inches of snow for Dublin tonight and tomorrow on the news:eek:

nilhg wrote: »
    Clara Finkler just forecast 10 inches of snow for Dublin tonight and tomorrow on the news:eek:

was it ten inches or ten cms?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

We are back to mostly rain but with a hint of sleet here on the coast near Malahide. Thaw speeding up. This will only get worse through the rest of today and overnight. I suspect there will be more rain then anything else. Tomorrow should see snow return to coastal loactions.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

For those wondering about snow for the West.There is an increased chance of snow showers later in the week.Till then we just get some of the coldest nights,-9 last night in County Galway,dammm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

Jake1 wrote: »

Up to 10 inches in Wicklow and up to 8 inches for parts of Dublin and Louth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭nilhg

Jake1 wrote: »

Inches, thought it was strange that she'd be using that measure but that's what she said

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭Rougies

I think Evelyn must have held the meteireann website editor at gunpoint to type that forecast and warning today.
    I can picture it clearly ... "But Evelyn, 20cm .. that's nearly 8 inches!! We can't do that!" ... "Ok smartass, lets make that 25cm ... how do you like 10inches! Type it now or get a bullet in the head!" :D

edit: Sound like she's made it to the TV studio now too, poor Nuala must have been petrified :O

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Nice forecast from Nuala Carey on Rte 1:D

Excellent forecast from Nuala, plenty of snow for the east, south east and south tomorrow. it should be on here in a few mins http://www.rte.ie/news/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 855 ✭✭✭smokin ace

i am looking at the radar and see nothing coming in for the east and south east are people sure that we will get the snow thats been talked about

Why are there two threads to have essentially the same conversation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Rougies wrote: »
    I think Evelyn must have held the meteireann website editor at gunpoint to type that forecast and warning today.
    I can picture it clearly ... "But Evelyn, 20cm .. that's nearly 8 inches!! We can't do that!" ... "Ok smartass, lets make that 25cm ... how do you like 10inches! Type it now or get a bullet in the head!" :D

edit: Sound like she's made it to the TV studio now too, poor Nuala must have been petrified :O

Thats Evelyn for ya! ha :D:D:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

snowing heavy here again for first time in 2 days but i know it's not gonna last long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

Evelyn on Newstalk now :)

smokin ace wrote: »
    i am looking at the radar and see nothing coming in for the east and south east are people sure that we will get the snow thats been talked about

The forecast of heavy snow is only valid for tonight and tomorrow, it's far too early.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Cassidy28

20cm of snow for dublin and louth,the snow will drift,creating blizzard conditions:eek::D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

of course weather online doesnt update the crucial 6z NAE :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 855 ✭✭✭smokin ace

The forecast of heavy snow is only valid for tonight and tomorrow, it's far too early.
    but even looking at tonights forcast i see nothing on the radar to say snow will happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Turned to sleet now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Cassidy28 wrote: »
    20cm of rain for dublin and louth,the rain will drift,creating rainy conditions:eek::D:D

What Met Eireann should have said.....

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement