Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How much do you miss the pub?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Pubs and restaurants reopening on May 18th in Germany

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,241 ✭✭✭saabsaab

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Anyone else find Tuesday the most grim day for the pub ???

Normally places are dead and nothing much is happening in nightclubs etc (maybe the student event your of age)

Sundays are so and so but annoying with the early close for most places

I say it would be but I hardly remember going out to a pub before Wednesday at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

It's Friday night and all I want to do is go for a pint of Guinness in my local. I just love the atmosphere of a rural pub, talking ****e with the lads, throwing a few darts, watching the LLS on the tv. Lol.

It's going to be a long couple of months.

The question ought to be "How much WILL you miss the pub" because when this is all over there could be a sizeable reduction in the number of pubs in the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,556 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

saabsaab wrote: »
    Not a business but a way of life it seems. They don't usually outlive the current owner. They still exist, without being busy except on rare occasions. I guess they usually have other sources of income.

OK. So they're some kind of anomaly and not any kind of basis to start talk about reopening pubs then?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

To be fair to them I dont know any restaurant in my area that doesn't serve whatever drink they want, I can just as easily go into a pub and have a meal and a pint as I can in a restaurant. I'm sure that differs in other areas quite probably.

In my local anyway on a Sunday afternoon for example there's more people in for food with family than there is drinking.

Yes. I don't know a restaurant that doesn't serve, beer wine or spirits.

In fact most restaurants have a better selection of wine than pubs who server the bog standard Cab-Sav, Merlot, Sauv Blanc or Malbec in little airplane bottles.

I wouldn't be a high end restaurant guy but once a month go to a nice place with her ladyship and drop a 100 on a meal. They all have a draught beer for me, a glass or 2 of red for herself and maybe a brandy at the end if we're feeling ever so ostentatious.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭jt69er

I visit Hotels, Restaurants, Nite Clubs & Pubs of all sizes in my line of work and I feel there is no "one size fits all" solution to this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭Dickie10

Dickie, it's hard to tell if you're being serious or just wishful thinking. What you're describing is not a profitable business. It's hard to believe you're being completely honest and there are usually only 2 customers at the busiest time of the week AND the business owner doesn't even seem to care as they're in their living room drinking tea. My understanding is that it's difficult enough to make money in the pub business and this pub you describe, doesn't sound like it could be making money.

Even if your local is the one pub in the country that doesn't worry about profits, the rest of them do. And the scenario you're describing isn't a realistic basis on which to open up the pubs. It sounds like hyperbole, to be honest.

christ why would i make it up, a good few evenings i went in around 8pm at weekend and not a sinner only the owner sitting in off the bar watching telly and shouting out to me! this man dosent worry too much about profits to be honest, pub is in his family all his life not much overheads and has a big farm of land too. just saying the differences of pubs there are out there.

just showing the vast array of different pubs there are. what about the rural pub off the beaten track which we all know will never be inspected and in all fairness could well be up and running serving pints now for all anyone would know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Missing now since offie is close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭lab man

Dickie10 wrote:
    just showing the vast array of different pubs there are. what about the rural pub off the beaten track which we all know will never be inspected and in all fairness could well be up and running serving pints now for all anyone would know

thats not happening because the 350 per week is more than what they make per week so they wont risk it

• Advertisement

Dickie10 wrote: »
    christ why would i make it up, a good few evenings i went in around 8pm at weekend and not a sinner only the owner sitting in off the bar watching telly and shouting out to me! this man dosent worry too much about profits to be honest, pub is in his family all his life not much overheads and has a big farm of land too. just saying the differences of pubs there are out there.

OK. Maybe there is a pub like that out there. A kind of hobby for the owner. But it's got nothing to do with normal pubs and has absolutely nothing to do with the conversation on reopening pubs because it's a one-off.

I think it's a fair statement to say that pubs need to make profit and can't operate like the pub you're talking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

OK. Maybe there is a pub like that out there. A kind of hobby for the owner. But it's got nothing to do with normal pubs and has absolutely nothing to do with the conversation on reopening pubs because it's a one-off.

I think it's a fair statement to say that pubs need to make profit and can't operate like the pub you're talking about.

It’s true there was an article in the Irish examiner about these kind of pubs.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/specialreports/special-report-pub-crisis--rural-publicans-fear-reopening-before-vaccine-is-in-place-997608.html

I don’t think I’ll be rushing back to the pubs with the way they have to operate during this pandemic. Very depressing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭kerryjack

It might be a good idea to open up the pubs for 4 hours in the evening say from 6 to 10 might get some people back in to habit of going out a bit earlier, might suit a lot of bar owners in country pubs that can work a set amount of hours and not hanging around all evening waiting for a few customers to come in around 11.you would have a good belly full of porter after 4 hours.

kerryjack wrote: »
    It might be a good idea to open up the pubs for 4 hours in the evening say from 6 to 10 might get some people back in to habit of going out a bit earlier, might suit a lot of bar owners in country pubs that can work a set amount of hours and not hanging around all evening waiting for a few customers to come in around 11.you would have a good belly full of porter after 4 hours.

Even after 2 hours if you went at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

jester77 wrote: »
    Pubs and restaurants reopening on May 18th in Germany

With social distancing and limited capacity and all the clubs are still going to be shut I think. Some places in Spain are open already apparently, but nobody is going to them. It'll be next summer before things get back to normal here I think, and many pubs will go bust in the meantime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Sounds like the Six O'Clock Swill all over again..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,925 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Binge drinking could be an issue

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Binge drinking could be an issue

Only if you’ve an issue with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,602 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Do you mean someone drinking three pints or more?

• Advertisement

one mans binge drinking is another mans one for the road or swift one

elperello wrote: »
    Do you mean someone drinking three pints or more?

Hardly a binge. Two hours you could have 6 easily if you wanted to or more if you were thirsty.

what way are we thinking for the pubs ? id ssay vitners fed will get their way, pubs that serve food will open with restaurants. did someone say hotels wouldnt open along with cafes and restaurants? our local hotel is open and selling dinners , you go in and take them away with yoou.

think vitners are looking for june 29th along with restauraunts. i suppose you can order a bit of food and have a few pints at your table if that comes in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

I have absolutely zero desire to go to the pub at the moment. The atmosphere is going to be so weird I’d rather drink with family at home. And all it takes is some clown to puke his ring and infect the entire place.

The pub as we know it is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Cant wait. There's a few pubs in Galway with beer gardens that serve grub as well. Be some session on the 29th

• Advertisement

I have absolutely zero desire to go to the pub at the moment. The atmosphere is going to be so weird I’d rather drink with family at home. And all it takes is some clown to puke his ring and infect the entire place.

Many will be gone. Best go to one you can trust that won't have people overdoing the drinking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,078 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

And what if that clown didn't have the virus? He wouldn't infect the place, he would just be frowned upon. There's a vastly higher chance that he does not have it at all.

For me, a lot depends on the community transmission rate over the next few weeks. There's hundreds and thousands of people in the communities that don't have the virus and could fill pubs over, be cautious about visiting a pub with cleaning etc, and it would be a safe environment. But it does only take the one case to spark it all again I know

Mass testing is needed first though before we can think of re-opening to the masses. Pubs could bring in mandatory temperature checks upon entry. And patrons will have to be told that they shouldn't be going to the pub if they are displaying any sort of symptoms. Years ago in my youth, I would easily have gone out for a few pints with a head cold for a few hit whiskeys and a pint. That can't be an option anymore.

Hardly a binge. Two hours you could have 6 easily if you wanted to or more if you were thirsty.

The term 'binge' has two usages. Medically it's used in terms of the amount of booze it takes to cause damage to the body. Colloquially, it means a session on the booze.

The idea of only opening for a few hours is total guff. Pubs will need to implement social distancing when they open so they'll need to open for along as they can to sell enough and make a profit. Limiting it to 4 hours would mean pubs would lose money while being open. Worst case scenario

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

Don't miss them, and I would have gone twice a week. The work I've done around the place with out being under the fog and lazyness of hangovers.
    I do miss double dropping solpodine soluble 4 times a day, that sweet hiss! Followed by the chawlky kiss, wow.... Now that's what I miss. **** it, I'm going to the medic press.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Ok Chicken Little. Easy with the hyperbole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,764 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

But they have a point.

It will be the fear. Nobody will know who is and who isn't infected. Its one thing to pass by them quickly on the street or when shopping, that is a risk many simply can't avoid, but completely different to sit in the same room for hours on end.

If a person sneezes or coughs everyone will be left wondering if that person had it and then you face a 2 week wait of uncertainty too see if you are still clear. You'll face it anyway but that would heighten it.

And you potentially put your friends and family at risk, so no visiting your elderly relatives.

All because you want to drink draught rather than bottled drinks? There won't be any social aspect to it. You won't be allowed mix with others and good luck having conversations across 2 meters. Doable, if only 1 or 2 try it but not if too many want to - which will happen as people see their friends etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

Leroy42 wrote: »
    But they have a point.

It will be the fear. Nobody will know who is and who isn't infected. Its one thing to pass by them quickly on the street or when shopping, that is a risk many simply can't avoid, but completely different to sit in the same room for hours on end.

If a person sneezes or coughs everyone will be left wondering if that person had it and then you face a 2 week wait of uncertainty too see if you are still clear. You'll face it anyway but that would heighten it.

And you potentially put your friends and family at risk, so no visiting your elderly relatives.

All because you want to drink draught rather than bottled drinks? There won't be any social aspect to it. You won't be allowed mix with others and good luck having conversations across 2 meters. Doable, if only 1 or 2 try it but not if too many want to - which will happen as people see their friends etc.

Before this happened, I would have been easily drinking 20 or 30 pints a week. I'm still drinking cans at home, albeit less of them. But I have very little desire to go to a pub where I've to sit at a table and wait for service, can't mingle with people, queue for the Jack's etc. I would much prefer to get mates around to my back garden and have a few drinks in the sun.

sounds like busy pubs your on about. most pubs will be quiet social distancing will be out the window after the first week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 548 ✭✭✭ek motor

Andrew00 wrote: »
    Cant wait. There's a few pubs in Galway with beer gardens that serve grub as well. Be some session on the 29th

Doubt it. Very limited numbers of people, table service, basically all the craic removed from being in a pub. Cans are a better option.

He's right, they are finished unless there's a major game-changer in the form of treatment or a vaccine. All seated, table service, half-empty pubs amounts to a fairly ****e atmosphere. Most people will drink at friends houses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭ronano

Given the covid situation I'll be avoiding the pub for a long time, I wasn't a massive pub goer but at the same time do miss the few pints, chat with friends and decent pints

Dickie10 wrote: »
    sounds like busy pubs your on about. most pubs will be quiet social distancing will be out the window after the first week.

Speak for yourself. Some of us spreading take the virus seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭LeYouth

I went to the shop and bought two trays of Mackeson stout. I'm turning into an alcolholic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

We had a very lazy evening yesterday and neither of us wanted to face cooking the dinner. This doesn't happen much but on the rare occasions in the past, there's a Green King pub on the edge of town that we would pop into. The grub is mediocre verging on decent at times but it's cheap and it's actually a nice place to sit (well since the recent refurb, a bit dingy before). Well I had a proper hankering for a beef and ale pie. . . stupid virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

Some of us think that the Vintners Association has the ear of government, that they will get what they want. Maybe in the past but times have changed. The concept of the 'pub' has been changing and slowly dying, we use them less frequently and if I am being really honest, they just don't suit our healthier lifestyles these days.

The writing was on the wall following the smoking ban. Not sure if there has been any polls out over the last few weeks, but would they be really missed? Added to that is the fear factor. OK, that will probably reduce, but if they opened tomorrow, how many of us would flock to them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

If my local opened tomorrow I'd be there in a flash. It's a small country pub. Never really more than around 10 or 12 patrons at one time. Great place for a chat and watch the sports.
    The WHO are now saying that we have to learn to live with this virus'. That sums it up for me. It's not going anywhere soon so we need to make efforts in the meantime to try regain a sense of normality. I hope that new normal includes the pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Ballso

Cal4567 wrote: »
    Some of us think that the Vintners Association has the ear of government, that they will get what they want. Maybe in the past but times have changed. The concept of the 'pub' has been changing and slowly dying, we use them less frequently and if I am being really honest, they just don't suit our healthier lifestyles these days.

The writing was on the wall following the smoking ban. Not sure if there has been any polls out over the last few weeks, but would they be really missed? Added to that is the fear factor. OK, that will probably reduce, but if they opened tomorrow, how many of us would flock to them?

Only rural pubs are dying, like everything else in rural Ireland. I'm not surprised, they are all the same and all pretty poor, you don't need ten pubs which are exactly the same in a town or region.

Meanwhile pubs in the cities are doing just fine, there's all kinds of diverse options - pubs with interesting beer, gastro pubs, sports bars, cocktail bars, even non-alcohol bars, all kinds of events and activities in pubs. People have moved on from wanting to sit in a sticky-carpeted dump drinking Carlsberg all day with Manchester United et al. on every screen full blast.

That said, there is no attraction in going to any pub with social distancing in place IMO, it defeats the whole idea of a public house.

If my local opened tomorrow I'd be there in a flash. It's a small country pub. Never really more than around 10 or 12 patrons at one time. Great place for a chat and watch the sports.
    The WHO are now saying that we have to learn to live with this virus'. That sums it up for me. It's not going anywhere soon so we need to make efforts in the meantime to try regain a sense of normality. I hope that new normal includes the pub.

So will entrance be limited to a specific group? How would you deal with a new person walking in?

And you are placing a lot of trust on those other 10 or 12 people that they haven't had contact with others outside the group.

I assume, based on admitted stereotype, that the patrons would be on the older age group. Would you be comfortable with possibly infecting and potentially the death of an older patron?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Leroy42 wrote: »
    So will entrance be limited to a specific group? How would you deal with a new person walking in?

And you are placing a lot of trust on those other 10 or 12 people that they haven't had contact with others outside the group.

I assume, based on admitted stereotype, that the patrons would be on the older age group. Would you be comfortable with possibly infecting and potentially the death of an older patron?
    Sure close the pub's so for good. Close restaurants. Shut down public transport, barbers, etc...... Cos we all link further infection to any of those facets of society. Let's all live in isolation in utter depression for the rest of our lives.
    Where do you draw the line. The economy has to reopen and recover at some stage and that includes all businesses, not just ones you handpick.

Sure close the pub's so for good. Close restaurants. Shut down public transport, barbers, etc...... Cos we all link further infection to any of those facets of society. Let's all live in isolation in utter depression for the rest of our lives.
    Where do you draw the line. The economy has to reopen and recover at some stage and that includes all businesses, not just ones you handpick.

A fair point. If the pub can reasonably put in some screens, larger drink containers at tables to avoid going to the bar too often, social distancing and most of all a suitable toilet system then they should open as much as restaurants.

A fair point. If the pub can reasonably put in some screens, larger drink containers at tables to avoid going to the bar too often, social distancing and most of all a suitable toilet system then they should open as much as restaurants.

Is it worth it ? How's it gonna work with the toilets ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

sick of drinking at home, it's never the same as the pub, roll on June 29th go for a meal and a rake of pints

Of course we have to look at reopening as many aspects of society as we can.

Schools, creaches, hospitals, nursing homes, retail, work etc etc,

Pubs would be very far down the list of the things we need to get back. The risk/reward is too skewed in favour of risk.

That is not to say I don't not want them back, I enjoy the pub. But can I live without it? Yes, if it means I can see my parents again, if sport comes back, if the economy gets back. I see them as all far more important, which is not to say that the pub is not important, than reopening pubs.

ek motor wrote: »
    Is it worth it ? How's it gonna work with the toilets ?

I don't know. Maybe a traffic light system at the outside door of the toilet. Red engaged, Green free, operated by a sensor that also sprays disinfectant after a person leaves?

• Advertisement

I don't know. Maybe a traffic light system at the outside door of the toilet. Red engaged, Green free, operated by a sensor that also sprays disinfectant after a person leaves?

Maybe, its hard to see it working when people are pissed. I just think with all the hassle involved with enforcing social distancing in pubs, will people be arsed ? A house gathering would be so much easier and more enjoyable.

Advertisement