Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Have you been tested?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭crisco10

XsApollo wrote: »
    I’m not being smart here.
    Just genuinely wondering.
    If he was that bad why didn’t you take him to hospital?
    Or did you and if you didn’t why not?
    I have no idea of what asthmatic people go through or what the protocol for a bad episode would be so maybe that’s not what should be done.

Just wondering with all the information out there about self isolating and not going to hospital if someone has symptoms I am presuming A&E is still functioning for emergencies? Or is that closed as well I have no idea?
    I presume if people are getting to a stage where they are waiting for a test and take a turn for the worst they are not staying at home waiting for phone calls or a gp to ring them back?

Our GP told us to call 999 if the symptoms worsened to a severe extent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Private Joker

Waiting on a test here since yesterday. My wife and I had very bad sinuses, lethargy occasional headaches, heavy burning chest . We have 3 kids 2 of them have temps the other has a sore throat.
    People on here saying people with mild symptoms are blocking up the system don't comprehend how important it is to test the milder affected people, these are the ones that if they do have will pass it on . Ordinarily I would have gone into work like this and I could have passed it on to everyone there.
    We are quarantined here until we get the all clear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭smallgarden

If an emergency they said to ring ambulance straight away but to advise them that you are awaiting test so they can put the precautions in place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭XsApollo

What happens if an ambulance or whatever is coming isn’t gonna arrive for an hour or 2?

I presume if somebody takes a turn for the worst this could escalate pretty quick , especially for people with asthma or other issues.

I’ve never rang 999 I assume they give you a time frame for an ambulance or give you the option to get in Yourself if it’s possible and quicker and they would notify the hospital of your arrival so they can be ready or?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭smallgarden

Do they test for the flu as well. E.g. if you test negative are they able to tell you that you have the flu or is it just assumed

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭foxatron

I was referred Monday morning haven't heard a thing. Based in north Dublin. Had a fever, cough and sore throat for a few days before that. Im feeling fine now so if I did have something say it'll be a negative result at this stage. Unless i catch it again before the test comes around!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Testing is way behind the curve going by people's experiences here. Ignoring possible positive cases massages the daily reports. My son was meant to be tested yesterday. Referred Monday last

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

The delay in testing people who are symptomatic is extremely dangerous. Typically these people will recover and doubt they even had it, return to mingle in the community and likely spread the virus, all while still waiting to hear their result. Please if you have any of the symptoms (you don’t need to have all) isolate yourself until you get a result (and after that too if pos)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭S.G.M.

Wishing everyone a speedy recovery. Stay strong folks and have faith.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭katiek102010

Topdolla wrote: »
    I usually like to prove people wrong but not in this case, I have tested positive and not one time did my fever reach 38... 37.7 was the closest.

If you don't feel right please get tested and stay safe everyone

I'm waiting on test. Temp going between 36.9 and 37.8.

How are you feeling otherwise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mackeire

I’m not being smart here.
    Just genuinely wondering.
    If he was that bad why didn’t you take him to hospital?
    Or did you and if you didn’t why not?
    I have no idea of what asthmatic people go through or what the protocol for a bad episode would be so maybe that’s not what should be done.

Just wondering with all the information out there about self isolating and not going to hospital if someone has symptoms I am presuming A&E is still functioning for emergencies? Or is that closed as well I have no idea?
    I presume if people are getting to a stage where they are waiting for a test and take a turn for the worst they are not staying at home waiting for phone calls or a gp to ring them back?

We were told that it was 100% the virus and to wait and see the gp the next day, which we did.
    Believe me when I say, we watched the young lad all night and were ready to go to the hospital if he worsened any more. Thankfully he didn't, but he was still really ill.
    Usually we are in doctors and hospitals regularly, but they told us not to go unless we really needed to this time.

We saw the gp on Monday and he was referred for a test.
    We were told that out of everyone that he had seen, our lad was the only he'd recommend to be tested.
    That was Monday, it's now Saturday morning and still no sign of a test!
    Myself and my partner were also told to isolate until the results of his test, which we have been doing up to now.

Edit: I should mention aswell that a young lad from his class had just returned from a holiday in Italy 2 weeks before. He literally got off a plane on the Sunday evening and was in school on Monday morning.
    We found this out on the Wednesday and took our lad out of school. He's been out since.
    But the timeline matched exactly of when the other boy returned from Italy and our lad got sick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭peddlelies

I had some chest pressure and head felt like I had a cold with minor headaches, kind of the dream like state you get into when sick. Throat felt weird too like the muscles were aching not the usual soreness you'd associate with colds but been much better the past 2 days.. No cough and no notable fever. Didn't get bad enough to consider being tested and I'm self isolating.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Aquals

Testing is way behind the curve going by people's experiences here. Ignoring possible positive cases massages the daily reports. My son was meant to be tested yesterday. Referred Monday last

Absolutely agree. I’m on day 6 of waiting for a test and I still have symptoms. With this length of wait time, I’m assuming that the official confirmed case numbers that we’re hearing on the news are completely inaccurate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭XsApollo

mackeire wrote: »
    We were told that it was 100% the virus and to wait and see the gp the next day, which we did.
    Believe me when I say, we watched the young lad all night and were ready to go to the hospital if he worsened any more. Thankfully he didn't, but he was still really ill.
    Usually we are in doctors and hospitals regularly, but they told us not to go unless we really needed to this time.

We saw the gp on Monday and he was referred for a test.
    We were told that out of everyone that he had seen, our lad was the only he'd recommend to be tested.
    That was Monday, it's now Saturday morning and still no sign of a test!
    Myself and my partner were also told to isolate until the results of his test, which we have been doing up to now.

Edit: I should mention aswell that a young lad from his class had just returned from a holiday in Italy 2 weeks before. He literally got off a plane on the Sunday evening and was in school on Monday morning.
    We found this out on the Wednesday and took our lad out of school. He's been out since.
    But the timeline matched exactly of when the other boy returned from Italy and our lad got sick.

Cool man,
    I was never doubting you or anything like that.
    Just wondering were people told to stay at home or maybe taking the advice of self isolating and not showing up at hospital literally and not showing up at all.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mackeire

Cool man,
    Just wondering were people told to stay at home or maybe taking the advice of self isolating and not showing up at hospital literally and not showing up at all.

Thanks

I'll just say one more thing, this has really been the scariest week or so of my life!

The young lad has been hospitalized before with pneumonia and other things, but this is scarier.

Atleast everytime before when in hospital, he was being monitored by trained professionals, with this, it's seems to be hit or miss whether you'll be okay or not.

Thankfully, my lad (so far) seems to be okay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Salthillprom

Cool man,

Thanks

I was quite sick at the test centre and the paramedic told me if I got any sicker to not hesitate and phone for an ambulance. I've an underlying condition. Thankfully it wasn't the virus but whatever it was, I felt horrendous. It took 6 days to get a result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 259 ✭✭maneno

I have just returned from a holiday in Africa and started to get very unwell in the last two days with great shortness of breath and profuse sweating. Started to feel confused, uncoordinated and unable to hold a full conversation. Got home today and within an hour dr eloped a high fever. Have sent an email to my GP regarding my situation, and am self isolating. I’m expecting to weather this out at home. Too unwell to be able to drive out to a centre for testing, and live alone. I’m not expecting to be tested any time soon, and am sure there’s many who are/will be just like me.

Where in Africa? This could be malaria

I'm waiting for a test since yesterday.

I've had chest tightness, shortness of breath, a raw sore throat (back of throat) and a cough. No temperature and no aches and pains.

Does anyone think there is another bug going around? I don't think I have Covid 19. I had a far worse version of this in January which lasted 6 weeks - i never had such a bad dry cough, I was at doctor 3 times in that period getting steroids and antibiotics and nothing worked except time. The same cough came back this week. This morning I feel absolutely fine. I am 59 and think if this was Covid I would be much sicker.

However I need to wait for test and am self isolating. I honestly think there is another bug going around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭Notsomindful

ja1986 wrote: »
    Yes the hse number is still going.

But they wont refer you for testing your gp has to. I rang the helpline Tuesday with my symptoms and was told to contact my gp to get triaged.
    I was referred Wednesday for testing and still waiting.
    I'm in Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Rvsmmnps wrote: »
    The tests.
    All corona strains are being marked as positive covid 19. Common cold = covid 19.More tests more positive return more crazy news.
    One more week and society will gradually fall apart.
    So I think to survive we have no choice but to return to normal as there is no other choice.

Well this is bollox

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭youandme13

Does anyone know when they call you is it on a Private Number? Just had a missed call..

Does anyone have a number you can ring and get through.. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Aquals

PmMeUrDogs wrote: »
    A question if I may?

I had some very odd chest pain last night - very sharp, one sided.

Woke up this morning with a tickly throat, a bit of a cough and a headache is developing. My temperature has consistently been 36 degrees or thereabouts all week (I'm high risk so have been checking daily), but was 38 this morning before dropping to 37.5 on second check (despite my hands and feet being very cold to the touch, but my cheeks are red and hot).

I'm obviously going to self isolate for the sake of everyone around me, but should I even bother contacting my gp about this on Monday? Or just isolate for two weeks and leave it at that? With such a massive delay in tests, I don't want to add to it if necessary over what's probably a cold

Current official guidance is that anyone with symptoms should get tested. On that basis, you should probably contact your GP on Monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 652 ✭✭✭GaGa21

You are symptomatic and should contact your GP for testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭PmMeUrDogs

GaGa21 wrote: »
    You are symptomatic and should contact hour GP for testing.

Temp dropped back to 36 eventually. Locked away and I'll ring care doc later if it goes up again. Thanks. Didn't really want to overrun the service for a small cold

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Is anybody using an Oximeter and blood pressure monitor of their symptoms?

I’m particular interested in those struggling to breath, I’d of thought an oximeter would give a good indication of oxygen disruption in the body.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tringle

Morning, ive been tested and waiting on results. Been sick for 3 weeks and GP had diagnosed infected sinuses and throat and given antibiotics. Cleared up the infection but symptoms came back except the sinus issue. High temp, sore throat, no voice, aches and pains, shivers, dizzyness, pressure in head, headache, lethargy, no appetite.
    Husband feeling sick, he called GP last Monday and was put on list, still hasnt been called. I called GP on Wednesday morning. Got a call from HSE a few hours later and tested Thursday. Waiting on results, was told 36 hours but assuming will be Monday at the earliest. Only symptom now is a cough.

Procedure is call your GP and they put you on the list. HSE will phone you with place and time, if you agree they give you a reference number. Then a text confirming place and time. Drive into centre and wind window down a little. Given a bag with 2 masks, tissues and info leaflet. Put a mask on than answer questions, just your ID and GP details. Then tester will approach, blow your nose then wind down window and head back. One swab from throat and another from nose, and thats it. Told GP will call with results whether positive or neagative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Elysium1

tringle wrote: »
    Morning, ive been tested and waiting on results. Been sick for 3 weeks and GP had diagnosed infected sinuses and throat and given antibiotics. Cleared up the infection but symptoms came back except the sinus issue. High temp, sore throat, no voice, aches and pains, shivers, dizzyness, pressure in head, headache, lethargy, no appetite.
    Husband feeling sick, he called GP last Monday and was put on list, still hasnt been called. I called GP on Wednesday morning. Got a call from HSE a few hours later and tested Thursday. Waiting on results, was told 36 hours but assuming will be Monday at the earliest. Only symptom now is a cough.

Procedure is call your GP and they put you on the list. HSE will phone you with place and time,

Hope you are both ok in the end.

I'm very keen to see some results. There are several of us here with similar, mild symptoms and are wondering if it a seasonal thing or the real one. I still support getting a GP consultation no matter what though.

The second mask is in case the GP requires you to leave the house.

Elysium1 wrote: »
    Hope you are both ok in the end.

I'm very keen to see some results. There are several of us here with similar, mild symptoms and are wondering if it a seasonal thing or the real one. I still support getting a GP consultation no matter what though.

Thanks, im still of the opinion that its just a hangover from sinus infection but everyone at work was getting paranoid. Will know one way or another now. But it does seem people from last Monday havent been called. We feel happy eniugh for one to be tested, of the opinion that if one of us has it we probably all do. And if im clear then he likely is too for the moment.

Fingers crossed for all of us, stay safe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭S.G.M.

tringle wrote:
    Morning, ive been tested and waiting on results. Been sick for 3 weeks and GP had diagnosed infected sinuses and throat and given antibiotics. Cleared up the infection but symptoms came back except the sinus issue. High temp, sore throat, no voice, aches and pains, shivers, dizzyness, pressure in head, headache, lethargy, no appetite. Husband feeling sick, he called GP last Monday and was put on list, still hasnt been called. I called GP on Wednesday morning. Got a call from HSE a few hours later and tested Thursday. Waiting on results, was told 36 hours but assuming will be Monday at the earliest. Only symptom now is a cough.

Get well soon Tringle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

I'm totally confused here.

Had some symptoms since 3rd March. Nothing severe, headache, sore throat for 2 days,slightly of my food, maybe slightly breathless but not too noticeable and a producing cough by the next morning. Had no temperature. Put it down to a cough and practiced social distancing at work before it was a thing- just in case.

Went to work on Wednesday this week and after an hour or so of moving around and working started to feel breathless,tightness and a pain in my chest.

Called manager straight away, left work and called doctor when I got to my car. Got appointment straight away. Doctor was talking about no temperature being a good sign. When he examined my breathing - getting me to breathe in and out I was quite breathless afterwards. He put me down as a possible case because of the breathing and sore chest. He did not see the point in testing me as I probably was past the point of shedding the virus and might test negative even if I had it. Was told to self isolate for 1 week.

Sorry long story but my question is was the doctor right in this? I have seen some research that backs him up in this - that the virus won't shed after 10 days from onset of symptoms. Then I see people here testing positive after 3 weeks of symptoms. Are people lying here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Are people lying here?

Of course they are, its a Internet forum. We are also a nation of storytellers and world champions of gossip, even with the best intentions each nugget of information picked up is morphed and twisted into what people feel is their version of the truth.

I have read so much fake or garbage information here and all over social media the last week. Listen to your doctor, they are liable and have the most reliable information to hand.

krissovo wrote: »
    Of course they are, its a Internet forum. We are also a nation of storytellers and world champions of gossip, even with the best intentions each nugget of information picked up is morphed and twisted into what people feel is their version of the truth.

I have read so much fake or garbage information here and all over social media the last week. Listen to your doctor, they are liable and have the most reliable information to hand.

Thanks Krissovo :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Are people still being tested at home? Or is everyone supposed to travel to a testing centre? What if you don`t have your own transport or have to depend on public transport? What happens then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

krissovo wrote: »

Doctor guidelines are to refer everyone who has any symptoms.
    Too bad people are waiting over a week for a test and more time for results.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,710 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

The testing seems a bit pointless at this stage, waiting a week for a test and a week for results means you've recovered by the time you get the results in theory

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I'm waiting for a test since yesterday.

I've had chest tightness, shortness of breath, a raw sore throat (back of throat) and a cough. No temperature and no aches and pains.

Does anyone think there is another bug going around? I don't think I have Covid 19. I had a far worse version of this in January which lasted 6 weeks - i never had such a bad dry cough, I was at doctor 3 times in that period getting steroids and antibiotics and nothing worked except time. The same cough came back this week. This morning I feel absolutely fine. I am 59 and think if this was Covid I would be much sicker.

However I need to wait for test and am self isolating. I honestly think there is another bug going around.

There are plenty of other bugs going around. The DoH said earlier this week that at that point 97% of people being tested were testing negative. Some of those tests will be contact tracing but many are from people with similar symptoms from a different illness. While at the same time, plenty of people with little to no symptoms have Covid-19 and are not being tested. A handful of people who tested through contact tracing, tested positive and had little to no symptoms. The WHO has said that testing as much as possible is one of the best things a country can do, so don't feel bad about getting tested for mild symptoms and having a negative result.

I have a tight chest, shortness of breath from mild exertion or talking, tingly airways and lungs, fatigue, muscle aches, dizzyness, sore constricted throat and, as of this morning, a stomach upset. Under normal circumstances, I'd just rest when necessary and think nothing else of it. Even now, if I didn't have the shortness of breath/tingly airways, I'd just assume it was some other bug. Because of the shortness of breath, I called my GP and am awaiting a test. I've been told that the shortness of breath is potentially serious and to monitor it because it could be something else and call an ambulance if it gets bad. But I'm not considered high risk for a test, (no fever, 41, fit and no underlying health conditions) so could be completely better by the time I'm called for one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Sorry long story but my question is was the doctor right in this? I have seen some research that backs him up in this - that the virus won't shed after 10 days from onset of symptoms. Then I see people here testing positive after 3 weeks of symptoms. Are people lying here?

There is a difference between shedding a virus and the virus being detectable in tests. My son had glandular fever last year and he was not considered contagious once he stopped having symptoms but continued to have a detectable viral load for months after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Fnz

Have had a very mild sore throat for the past week or so. I only notice it when I wake up - doesn't bother me the rest of the day.

Felt as though I'd be wasting everyone's time/resources getting tested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

What seems to be the average waiting time for results?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Fnz wrote: »
    Have had a very mild sore throat for the past week or so. I only notice it when I wake up - doesn't bother me the rest of the day.

Felt as though I'd be wasting everyone's time/resources getting tested.

Probably something minor but you should contact your GP anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Would you not rather have it though? Unless you're in the high risk category, it'd be best to get it out of the way, no?

No, that's not the message being put out and does absolutely nothing to flatten the curve.

If the majority of us are going to get it its best spread out over many months and not treated as something we should just 'get it out of the way', that's how you flood the health service.

For me, I'm still feeling well so following all the government guidelines in terms of hand hygiene protocols, social distancing etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭millb

Maybe not fully on topic but I have the following questions / observations which may be useful or corrected if not accurate.

Ratio of positive tests in Ireland approx 1 in 8 ..

Ratio of positive tests in UK approx 1 in 4?

Posted test kit (order online 1 person) from Randox (Antrim) £120

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭signostic

millb wrote: »

There is an article in the Guardian about home testing and references Randox and other providers.

Full Artlicle

Maybe not fully on topic but I have the following questions / observations which may be useful or corrected if not accurate.

As far as I'm aware Uk is not testing in the general population who have symptoms, just people that go to hospital with them.

• Advertisement

No, that's not the message being put out and does absolutely nothing to flatten the curve.

If the majority of us are going to get it its best spread out over many months and not treated as something we should just 'get it out of the way', that's how you flood the health service.

For me, I'm still feeling well so following all the government guidelines in terms of hand hygiene protocols, social distancing etc.

Of course it would be better to get it now if you are going to recover fully as you will be immune.

Getting it now will help flatten the curve because the peak is a few weeks away so you would not be getting the case around the peak- thus helping flatten the curve. This is predicated on you not spreading it if you do get it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Phoenix Wright

So my grand-aunt who is 82 was told by her GP that it would be a three week wait for a test..

Four of her children (my second cousins) have come down with bad coughs and sore throats after one of them brought it into the house and most worryingly my aunt now has it too. Not sure about the ins and outs with her symptoms, but I was surprised they are not being more proactive given her age :(

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭deise18

So my grand-aunt who is 82 was told by her GP that it would be a three week wait for a test..

That's crazy, what area??

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭PmMeUrDogs

Four of her children (my second cousins) have come down with bad coughs and sore throats after one of them brought it into the house and most worryingly my aunt now has it too. Not sure about the ins and outs with her symptoms, but I was surprised they are not being more proactive given her age :(

Three weeks? That's absolutely shocking.

Our case figures must be totally botched if there are such long delays in testing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

1/8 is 12.5 % . If as reported we have tested over 10 thousand people in Ireland we should have over 1250 positive cases.

• Advertisement
Advertisement