Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus and the effect on Public transport

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Meetings with CMO next week to discuss reducing it from 2 to 1m. WHO says 1m where as European Center for Diseases says 2m (EU also reviewing).

I can see 1 seat per row eventually, no other way is distancing on transport sustainable and possibly revisit the whole mask thing.

Whether 1m or 2m is settled on, this distance is the minimum for people being together for 15 minutes or more. The Irish government, the HSE and the WHO all agree on this.
    If we have to share space closer than this for under 15 minutes, that is OK providing someone is not coughing or sneezing into your face. It is the advice of the CMO that face coverings be used on crowded public transport, that must mean more than the 17 seats per bus or whatever.
    To have an absolute limit of 17 on a bus is unreasonable. A degree of common sense has to prevail.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,319 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Ashbourne Connect has the 193 route back running again from last Monday the 18th of May. It currently has one peak service in both the morning & evening time on it's timetable for now as the country has lifted some of the lockdown restrictions during this month. The route should resume to a full service once the pandemic is over.

The company has given this notice on their Facebook page
    Phase 1 timetable for Ashbourne Connect from 18th May 2020.

We have 22 seats available on each service.

If you had an active taxsaver in March 2020 and need to travel there will be no charge until 31st May.

Please email info@ashbourneconnect.ie if you need to use the bus next week so we can see what numbers may look like.

If you have not emailed we cannot guarantee travel, we will try to accommodate any passengers as best we can.

We hope to ramp up services at demand returns!

193 Timetable Phase 1 Timetable (Source - Ashbourne Connect Facebook)

97075253_1504763693017235_5779683897625280512_o.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_sid=8024bb&_nc_ohc=BedI5OUblQwAX9j8eJi&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub5-1.fna&_nc_tp=7&oh=d66de094d726c108753d0c11e2dc2af0&oe=5EF089EF

There are 2 photo's of the bus here on Flickr displaying AC's E400 MMC on the route. It has back gone to it's original livery when it was on it's trial runs in the UK. The livery for the Dublin Distillery & Brewery Tour is not to be displayed on the bus for a while as things here are returning to normal very slowly over the summer.

There's a big green poster displayed beside the passenger doors of the bus in which I assume is to do with Covid-19.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/darren_hall/49917331451/in/photostream/lightbox/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/cityswift/49921313817/in/faves-darren_hall/lightbox/

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Wow they took the livery off, I'd say that wasn't overly cheap to fit....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭p_haugh

Ah that's a pity about the livery, looked real good on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,672 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Hand Sanitisers to be installed at Irish Rail stations, DB/Go-Ahead fleets and on Luas (double doors and stops). Bus Éireann is more difficult according to this.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/transport-authority-to-install-hand-sanitiser-across-fleets-for-passengers-1001651.html

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Hand Sanitisers to be installed at Irish Rail stations, DB/Go-Ahead fleets and on Luas (double doors and stops). Bus Éireann is more difficult according to this.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/transport-authority-to-install-hand-sanitiser-across-fleets-for-passengers-1001651.html

Fine at stations but putting them on board vehicles is a silly idea tbh. Could increase dwell times and a potential safety hazard.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,319 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

RTÉ have reported from a senior government source tonight that issues like Transport along with Macro-Finance & Childcare are currently being discussed in Government Formation talks at the moment. Significant progress has been made to allow the design of a new draft programme for government by early next week.

Can this news give more information as to what is the known position on current proposed transport projects like MetroLink & BusConnects?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

GT89 wrote: »
    Fine at stations but putting them on board vehicles is a silly idea tbh. Could increase dwell times and a potential safety hazard.

Plus low life's will nick them.

RTÉ have reported from a senior government source tonight that issues like Transport along with Macro-Finance & Childcare are currently being discussed in Government Formation talks at the moment. Significant progress has been made to allow the design of a new draft programme for government by early next week.

Can this news give more information as to what is the known position on current proposed transport projects like MetroLink & BusConnects?

Reports at weekend were that Leo wants to ensure Metro, Bus Connects and DART electrification are protected under spending reviews of projects plus look at Navan in the future.

Letter to NBRU also outlined this!

Irish Rail published the reduced schedule until 30 August.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

That's back to normal timetable. A few changes regarding extra services and capacity might occur between now and then as we move through the phases.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

They'll need additional capacity well before that, I'd suspect that'll be reviewed as we go through the phases.

Wouldn't surprise me if DB went to a normal weekday service quite soon. Services are fairly busy

They'll need additional capacity well before that, I'd suspect that'll be reviewed as we go through the phases.

Wouldn't surprise me if DB went to a normal weekday service quite soon. Services are fairly busy

Next week I hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

There are already problems with the reduced schedule. The Heuston Waterford evening trains have a high demand and people have had to find alternative transport because of the reduced timetable. These are essential workers. I'm not sure if the 6 car train is back or if they're still on reduced capacity. There needs to be joined up thinking. If more essential workers have to commute there should be commuting capacity for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭ITV2

Next week I hear.
    I heard M-F from June 7, judging by yesterday on my bus it can't come sooner, twice I was full. Mostly going for a bus trip to the coast or one told me she was going to Teddys for a 99.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

I was on the 9 and 16 about two hours ago (for a necessary journey I might add), three in the 16 and five on the 9.

I was surprised, but relieved, that there were so few people on board.

Services are starting to run late already though, so the extra running time of the weekday timetable will be needed soon in any case.

Mainly carrying kids now and others going out to the parks, beaches and to meet with mates....

Parents should be ashamed but then these are the ones out themselves.

The whole idea was to stop the virus as much as possible, it's going to come back with a bang.

All these absolutely fcuking retarded as#holesvare putting my colleagues and me at risk and those that have no choice but to use transport for work or to get essential meds and so on....

Essential travel isn't for to go off for the day or meet up with 10s of mates....

Mainly carrying kids now and others going out to the parks, beaches and to meet with mates....

Parents should be ashamed but then these are the ones out themselves.

The whole idea was to stop the virus as much as possible, it's going to come back with a bang.

All these absolutely fcuking retarded as#holesvare putting my colleagues and me at risk and those that have no choice but to use transport for work or to get essential meds and so on....

Essential travel isn't for to go off for the day or meet up with 10s of mates....

The government must have known when they eased the restrictions that people would go out in their droves especially teenagers who haven't seen their friends in weeks. I'm sure it was something that was taken into account when NPHET met at least I would hope if they are living in reality.

They're not going to come out and say sure it's grand to go whatever you like either though.

GT89 wrote: »
    The government must have known when they eased the restrictions that people would go out in their droves especially teenagers who haven't seen their friends in weeks. I'm sure it was something that was taken into account when NPHET met at least I would hope if they are living in reality.

They're not going to come out and say sure it's grand to go whatever you like either though.

Isnt it wonderful these can all stay at home get €350 a week and sure give us all the 2 fingers and continue on like nothing ever happened.

Lockdown is still in effect and I have seen one checkpoint in the last week and a half.....
    Last night

The buses have been the best way to get around since the start.
    No checks only a handful on O'Connell st

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Just got refused to get on a bus there with many seats with no covid backs clearly free

Is there a maximum capacity or what? The bottom deck had maximum 3 people sitting there.

• Advertisement

Would be seriously special if allow a group of 10 ppl to go sit together at the back of the top deck and then refuse pax.
    But nothing surprises when comes to DB and common sense

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

Just got refused to get on a bus there with many seats with no covid backs clearly free

Is there a maximum capacity or what? The bottom deck had maximum 3 people sitting there.

I've asked go-ahead thus question repeatedly on twitter and they ain't answering. I'm not doing it to be awkward , I genuinely want to know for when I go back to work

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Tickityboo

I've asked go-ahead thus question repeatedly on twitter and they ain't answering. I'm not doing it to be awkward , I genuinely want to know for when I go back to work

Different models
    Sg 6 lower 11 upper saloon
    Gt 7 lower 11 upper
    Ev 7 lower 12 upper
    Vs 7 lower 12 upper
    Vt 9 lower 14 upper

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭ax586

Tickityboo wrote: »
    Different models
    Sg 6 lower 11 upper saloon
    Gt 7 lower 11 upper
    Ev 7 lower 12 upper
    Vs 7 lower 12 upper
    Vt 9 lower 14 upper

Dont forget some of these SG/GT's in Summerhill are less because of luggage racks..you can only fit 3 downstairs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

The vast majority of Go Ahead's double-deckers can carry 17 people. They have twelve slightly older ones (all 132-reg) that can carry 18, I think. Their single-deckers can carry 10. Over the last week or so, they've been sending spare buses out on certain busy routes (especially ones that serve hospitals), running 'out-of-service' behind the scheduled bus. As soon as the scheduled one is full, the second one goes into service. When the Mon-Fri service resumes (on the 8th of June), this won't be possible because they simply don't have enough buses.

I can't see this lasting, kids are out in force and no parents, groups everywhere you look, they then get the bus home after been out with their mates all day and don't give space to others....

I'm actually fed up with so many people's attitudes and it's getting way out of control.

Lucky enough road im on isn't the worst but I really feel for those on likes of 31 and the likes.....

Heard from horses mouth DB double dockers allow 17 pax, clustering of pax, like families etc is a grey area so down to drivers common sense or interpretation of rule

Defo needs ironing out. If I was goin to work rather than shop I would have been fuming

Heard from horses mouth DB double dockers allow 17 pax, clustering of pax, like families etc is a grey area so down to drivers common sense or interpretation of rule

Defo needs ironing out. If I was goin to work rather than shop I would have been fuming

The way I work it is if it's a group they go up the back and give space to others as it's pointless splitting say a family.

A bit of common sense wouldn't go a miss. I was were a driver I would pick up everyone except large groups of teenagers and the likes who are clearly not going to work or doing shopping. There should be no issue picking up induviduals.

I think should be up people's own induvidual judgement as to whether or not they feel it is safe to get on a crowded bus or train. Not up to a bus drivers view in fhe same way a dart or a luas driver can't refuse passengers.

• Advertisement

To look on the bright side at least there won't be Spanish students this year

Advertisement