Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus and the effect on Public transport

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

The reproduction rate of the virus which is currently between 0.4 - 0.6
    Which means they're doing their job.
    It doesn't mean they're doing a good one.
    In relation to covid19, saying that we are the best /worst at anything just makes you look silly. The amount of caveats floating around data related to this makes country v country comparisons rough estimates at best
    I didn't say we were the worst. I said we were amongst the worst.
    Which give scope for differences in data reporting.
    Yes we have as evidenced by the numbers reported. If you have evidence to the contrary please share
    The delays in testing are referenced here.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

People have seriously given up on it, not everyone or near it but you wouldn't have thought there was a lockdown the last 2 weeks.... Today was absolutely mental the amount around Dublin city, tourists out with their cameras.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

People have seriously given up on it, not everyone or near it but you wouldn't have thought there was a lockdown the last 2 weeks.... Today was absolutely mental the amount around Dublin city, tourists out with their cameras.

You can't keep people locked up forever. The government will have a hard time re implementing a lockdown should there be a second wave.

Is the onus on bus drivers to ensure social distancing on board?

Are drivers subject to displinary proceedings if they carry more passengers than allows for social distancing?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

GT89 wrote: »
    Well that's true too. But so far masks are only a recommendation not compulsory so someone could complain saying that a driver didn't stop so thatbdriver would be called for a trip to the office and potential disciplinary proceedings.

Another problem with masks is they could be an opportunity for criminals to conceal themselves. They could also work against the drivers safety if someone gets wearing a mask then attacks the driver. Person can't be prosecuted as the person can't be indentified on cctv as they were wearing a mask. A shop near me has had to ban people wearing masks as they kept getting robbed and weren't able to get the people on cctv.

That is perhaps why they are not compulsory. There would be a huge rise in crime.
    That said it might direct Garda resources into catching real criminals and stop the checkpoints

• Advertisement

3 adults today using child leap cards to travel.....

Why should anyone bother their arse paying the right fare when one can travel for a euro.... Or less at times of course.

I'm not talking young adults either....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Oh I'm sure they just picked up their kids card from the wallet by mistake! :pac:

Oh I'm sure they just picked up their kids card from the wallet by mistake! :pac:

Ha, caught one lovely, he had the adult card in the other pocket and I'll give him full 10 points for how quickly he had it out and the child one put away....

He was quite upset that the short journey ended up costing€3.25 as he paid €1 on child and €2.25 on adult but he is laughing all the way to be honest as he is saving a fortune.....

Absolutely nuts the NTA etc think this isn't happening or are happy enough to leave these types at it...

Ha, caught one lovely, he had the adult card in the other pocket and I'll give him full 10 points for how quickly he had it out and the child one put away....

He was quite upset that the short journey ended up costing€3.25 as he paid €1 on child and €2.25 on adult but he is laughing all the way to be honest as he is saving a fortune.....

Absolutely nuts the NTA etc think this isn't happening or are happy enough to leave these types at it...

My guess is at the moment is it is costing them more to continue operate the fare collection system then what they are actually making in passenger revenue numbers are so low. Either the buses are courtesy of the government at the moment as they are not making a penny not that they should as an essential service.

I'm not sure why they haven't suspended fares and moved to centre door boarding like in the London it would keep the driver safer.

GT89 wrote: »
    My guess is at the moment is it is costing them more to continue operate the fare collection system then what they are actually making in passenger revenue numbers are so low. Either the buses are courtesy of the government at the moment as they are not making a penny not that they should as an essential service.

I'm not sure why they haven't suspended fares and moved to centre door boarding like in the London it would keep the driver safer.

It wouldn't to be honest as the bus would be packed even worse....

An absolute balls was made of this....

Regular children travelling on their own, families out for the day, drug addicts out for their fix, drug dealers as it's less risky and can drop the stash and no checks...., The whole lock down was a farce.

I've had tourists too.....

• Advertisement

It wouldn't to be honest as the bus would be packed even worse....

An absolute balls was made of this....

Regular children travelling on their own, families out for the day, drug addicts out for their fix, drug dealers as it's less risky and can drop the stash and no checks...., The whole lock down was a farce.

I've had tourists too.....

Yeah but they would be well away from you as the driver if the front of the bus was cordoned off although that wouldn't be possible here as wheelchairs would still have to get on at the front. Sure it would be like as if you were driving a train or a tram with no passengers to deal with.

You would probably get more passengers out and about but the driver would be under a lot less risk. Some places have even gone so far as putting up a large piece of clear plastic between the drivers area and the skulls.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Actually one of the main reasons they dont do tag on/off with buses is because in places with it setup, they've seen people tag on, walk to the back, and then tag off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Actually one of the main reasons they dont do tag on/off with buses is because in places with it setup, they've seen people tag on, walk to the back, and then tag off.

People are scum.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Public transport totally unusable for the majority in Dublin now (unless you live literally at the start of a route).

People will see the comfort and privacy of their cars and we'll see car use rocket.

Public transport totally unusable for the majority in Dublin now.

People will see the comfort and privacy of their cars and we'll see car use rocket.

I'd buy a car park to cash in as street parking is disappearing big time in the city.

And the fact that it would increase dwell times as people would be queing to tag off instead of just getting off the bus as quickly as possible.

I heard that they are putting the social distancing signage on some of the single door buses. This could suggest they are gearing up for a return to regular M-F timetables.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,273 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Janet Horner has put up the DCC/NTA Interim Mobility Intervention Programme for Dublin City, laying out the future of Dublin. Very interesting read. Even with all the measures that they're doing, they believe they'll have a 50000 shortfall in journey capacity.

See here.

Also, there's a justification for moving buses way from the college green route in there too, namely that there's too many buses and pedestrians to share the space while maintain the room for social distancing.

It's an incredible doc in many ways, it's going to reshape the city for decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,387 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Has anyone see this on the news.

A social media video was showing lots of young people not complying with social distancing on an IÉ railway station platform.

Does anyone know the Irish location of that video? What social media site is showing it?

TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 10,682 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Has anyone see this on the news.

A social media video was showing lots of young people not complying with social distancing on an IÉ railway station platform.

Does anyone know the Irish location of that video? What social media site is showing it?

TIA

Sutton and Howth. On twitter.

https://twitter.com/risquepat/status/1263374156374126593?s=21

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,209 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

CatInABox wrote: »
    Janet Horner has put up the DCC/NTA Interim Mobility Intervention Programme for Dublin City, laying out the future of Dublin. Very interesting read. Even with all the measures that they're doing, they believe they'll have a 50000 shortfall in journey capacity.

See here.

Also, there's a justification for moving buses way from the college green route in there too, namely that there's too many buses and pedestrians to share the space while maintain the room for social distancing.

It's an incredible doc in many ways, it's going to reshape the city for decades.

Of all the things to come from covid DCC to get a basically pedestrianised college green after years of looking for it wasn't one of the things I envisaged.

See here.

Here's hoping the sloth that is Galway City Council can implement some of this too. There is a window in which they will get these implemented with little to no resistance, I sincerely hope they use it

Ranelagh village has been a death trap for years....

Nice to see something done but it isn't enough.

Us bus drivers have asked for better and safe road lay outs for years but never listened to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Jamie2k9 wrote: »

Stupid of that poster on twitter to complain at IR for the behaviour of ignorant feckers like that lot, the only effective way of stopping that is to close it when those numbers come out, there isnt enough staff around to control those kinds of crowds and besides it's not right to be forcing staff to be put at risk because this lot are too ignorant to social distance like the vast majority. They'd nearly have to put large Gardai Checkpoints at key stations and on approach roads to control these numbers.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

See here.

Ah, so this is why the Car Park people were all over the media two or three days ago. They most of seen this first. Feck them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Looking at the vid most of them don't appear to be Irish?

Brazilian?

Have they a different attitude to this whole thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭Vic_08

bk wrote: »
    Ah, so this is why the Car Park people were all over the media two or three days ago. They most of seen this first. Feck them.

They had ample opportunity in the last few years with skyrocketing property prices to develop or sell off their car parks for residential and retail development.

I say wait until the market has tanked and CPO the city centre car parks in the national interest.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

See here.

Are they expecting people to cycle in from Ongar, Adamstown, Lucan, Celbridge, Balbriggan, Swords...

It looks like a plan for high rise city, not a low rise one.

Now is a time to increase public transport options, not decrease them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,682 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

I saw BE refuse passengers this week. I am all for social distancing however when CIE are operating a reduced schedule and given permission to spend a there full budget for 2020 by 30 June the service level is unacceptable.

Do they legally have the right to refuse you travel under legislation.

• Advertisement

I saw BE refuse passengers this week. I am all for social distancing however when CIE are operating a reduced schedule and given permission to spend a there full budget for 2020 by 30 June the service level is unacceptable.

Do they legally have the right to refuse you travel under legislation.

Intrestingly the NTA have stated that the social distancing measures on board buses are meant as guidance rather than being mandatory. What I want to know is are drivers being told by operators to leave passengers behind if all seats without tags are being filled. Is it a case of the NTA and operators both taking different views.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/nbru-and-bus-operators-call-for-clarity-on-how-workers-will-travel-1.4260079

Advertisement