Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Celebrities who've had the biggest fall from public favour.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

I see Tom Cruise mentioned here a few times, but I wouldn't say he has had a major fall from public favour at all. While he has a reputation for being an oddball, most people separate his acting career from the fact that he is basically Scientology's second in commend. He is still an A-list actor whose movies continue to make considerable profits. He hasn't commented any cardinal sins such as racism, antisemitism, pedophilia or violence against women, all of which are far more damaging than Scientology as far as the general public are concerned.

That being said, I wouldn't say he's as universally admired as legends like Tom Hanks, Harrison Ford or Morgan Freeman.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭PressRun

I agree. Tom Cruise, while not necessarily beloved like some film stars, is still a very bankable star for films. I know almost everyone regards him as a bit of a weirdo, but I think a lot of people would still watch his films.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,289 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Ronda Rousey..sad

She certainly hasn't fallen from grace. She lost a match and sure, some fans turned on her for her arrogance but she's still a very well loved and respected fighter, not a fall from grace.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭PressRun

I don't think she has fallen from grace either. There were people who were lining up to twist the blade when she lost, but there were people who felt sorry for her too. I've no doubt plenty will be tuning in for her comeback.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Hip Hop pioneer Afrika Bambaataa accused of molesting boys,going back to the early 80s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Murrayboy

Jade Goody. An example of hypocrisy with the general public. She fell from public behaviour with racist comments and then rose back up when diagnosed with terminal cancer

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

PressRun wrote: »
    I don't think she has fallen from grace either. There were people who were lining up to twist the blade when she lost, but there were people who felt sorry for her too. I've no doubt plenty will be tuning in for her comeback.

Absolutely... I have a lot of admiration for her.. Her appearance on Ellen was very brave and her honesty about her suicidal thoughts was amazing.

We need more Rhondas.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

Amy Schumer.Exposed as a phoney who stole other comedians jokes and routines.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭thejuggler

Do children's tv characters count?
    Zig n Zag, Dustin maybe even Bosco

Not a fall from grace as such but past their sell by date perhaps.

i wonder had Zig and Zag not 'defected to channel 4/mtv in the mid 90s would they still be doing kids tv on RTE (if they wanted to)
    Granted they reinvented themselves with Podge n Rodge but that too has had its time.

Perhaps these sort of characters only have a short shelf life/time span by their nature.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭thejuggler

Agree about Justin Lee Collins BTW. Alan Carr must thank his lucky stars every day that he broke out on his own before JLC's exploits were unveiled. they first found tv fame as a duo on the Friday Night Project on Channel 4..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

Brian McFadden and Kerry Katona were the new Posh and Becks at one point. Then Brian went and had an affair with Delta Goodrem and Kerry went off the rails.

marwelie wrote: »
    Brian McFadden and Kerry Katona were the new Posh and Becks at one point. Then Brian went and had an affair with Delta Goodrem and Kerry went off the rails.

Poor Kerry, I've a soft spot for her. Don't think there's any harm in her. She's just lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

Don't think anybody mentioned Angus Deayton ( Have I got news for you )

Mena Mitty wrote: »
    Don't think anybody mentioned Angus Deayton ( Have I got news for you )

I'd forgotten about him.Kind of odd how you never see or hear of him in anything now considering what the cause of his downfall was,having a couple of affairs and doing coke.Not condoning it but not exactly up there with child abuse etc.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭ChopShop

darkdubh wrote: »
    I'd forgotten about him.Kind of odd how you never see or hear of him in anything now considering what the cause of his downfall was,having a couple of affairs and doing coke.Not condoning it but not exactly up there with child abuse etc.

Think it was Hislop who said his presence made the show's moral stance shaky.

But maybe people on the prog just didn't like him enough to overlook it.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

Freddie Starr. Was brilliant in the 80's/90's, then got coked up and threw it all away.

Wedwood wrote: »
    Freddie Starr. Was brilliant in the 80's/90's, then got coked up and threw it all away.

Not to mention being linked to Operation Yewtree.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Bill Cosby has to be one of the worst.

He was a role model for black people, especially young black men.

Now his career and reputation are in tatters.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭ChopShop

Jimbob1977 wrote: »

No no. It's all racism

http://www.breakingnews.ie/world/bill-cosbys-lawyers-claim-racism-in-sex-case-allegations-753795.html

Gwyneth Paltrow,not an obvious choice but these days shes seen as a bit of a weirdo egotist control freak and advocator of dubious diets and health regimes.Not that long ago she was one of the most popular actresses in Hollywood but I can't remember when I last saw her in something.Its not even a case of her just going out of fashion which happens with a lot of actors and actresses,I think shes despised overall as a person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Turquoise Hexagon Sun

Gwyneth Paltrow,not an obvious choice but these days shes seen as a bit of a weirdo egotist control freak and advocator of dubious diets and health regimes.Not that long ago she was one of the most popular actresses in Hollywood but I can't remember when I last saw her in something.Its not even a case of her just going out of fashion which happens with a lot of actors and actresses,I think shes despised overall as a person.

Probably doing less work as a single mother now too.

Also, Ralf & Florian, got to be Hutter and Schneider, right? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Diane Selwyn

Eddie Murphy's star took a slow nose dive throughout the late 80s and early 90s as the sort of flat out homophobia that he had sprouted in Raw and Delirious became less and less tolerated in the mainstream - culminated in his getting arrested for soliciting a transvestite. Seems to have made a near complete recovery now though.

Eddie Murphy's star took a slow nose dive throughout the late 80s and early 90s as the sort of flat out homophobia that he had sprouted in Raw and Delirious became less and less tolerated in the mainstream - culminated in his getting arrested for soliciting a transvestite. Seems to have made a near complete recovery now though.

Denying paternity of Mel B's baby probably didn't do him any favours either.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Diane Selwyn

xzanti wrote: »

Jays I forgot that alright!

Probably doing less work as a single mother now too.

Also, Ralf & Florian, got to be Hutter and Schneider, right? :P

Ich Bin Ein Roboter ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

xzanti wrote: »

Wouldn't blame him for that, she's an awful yoke.

Donald Trump anyone?I can't look on him as a political figure despite the fact that he's running for the oval office, he's very much a celebrity in the modern sense of the word.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Johnnyjump

Jimbob1977 wrote: »

Plus one for Bill Cosby. From hero to zero. My vote also goes to the fallen olympic heroes (and heroines).

Eddie Hobbs, remember him?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 gucchi

Chris Brown
    Amy Winehouse
    Mel Gibson: Biggest star of his time.
    when is decided to make movie on last days of Jesus. That was the biggest mistake he did. 
     This movie effect the Jews a lot.

Advertisement