Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When's calving starting 2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Number 22 last night slight pull with the jack just cos I was there. Calf got up to suck himself thank God. 6 to go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 409 ✭✭390kid

tanko wrote: »
    Fiston is the business for anyone who doesn't want to spend the calving season hanging of the end of a calving jack. His calves are light boned when born but don't be long shaping up. He works best on taller cows and is easy calved on cows i find.

I second you on that one. Very fond of him here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭tellmeabit

This guy landed yesterday morning, supposed to be fiston. 300 days.. unless is calved early from LM stock bull. He was left with them July 1st.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,291 ✭✭✭tanko

That seems early for the stock bull but you never know i suppose.

Had a cow here calve a Fiston bull here the other day, 295 days gestation.

Had to jack a Highfield Odran bull calf out of a heifer at 4 this morning, first time i've had to jack a Saler calf but he was bigger than they usually are. Once the head came he was fine.
    Had a lovely Dromanig King heifer calf off a QCD third calver also, gave her a bit of a pull as progress was a bit slow. Fairly big calf, i'd be careful what i'd put him on, best on older cows i think.

Have three Frosty King calves now off third calvers, two heifers and a bull, like the look of them so far, easy calved with good thickness, shape and frame to them.

Have a couple of Gamin ZGM Ccalves too, really like him, easy calved and they really start to shape up and put on muscle after a week or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭50HX

Lovely zch heifer this morning, hope she turns into a new replacement

Off the oldest cow I have.........her dug is nearly touching the ground...always a catch:D

ZCH can be a hard calved yoke. If your cow isn't too big, has plenty of milk and a bit of muscle to her you'll have a nice replacement there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Had a lovely Dromanig King heifer calf off a QCD third calver also, gave her a bit of a pull as progress was a bit slow. Fairly big calf, i'd be careful what i'd put him on, best on older cows i think.

Should make a lovely cow, was just thinking of using him on heifers😅, thought that if ya had a heifer, be easy to keep, only try and put limos on heifers🀔

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭jimini0

Lm2014 landed on time. Unassisted and up and sucking inside the hour

Should make a lovely cow, was just thinking of using him on heifers��, thought that if ya had a heifer, be easy to keep, only try and put limos on heifers��

Hmmm, i suppose it would depend on what kind of heifers you have and how they're fed pre calving but i think it would be risky.
    Won't be doing anything like that here anyway.

I like the look of Brooklands Marco that Dovea have now, maybe something like him would be a better choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭josephsoap

Fiston is the business for anyone who doesn't want to spend the calving season hanging of the end of a calving jack. His calves are light boned when born but don't be long shaping up. He works best on taller cows and is easy calved on cows i find.

Have you ever used FWO - fleetwood ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭milligan2

I used him on a good second calver last year and got a cracker of a heifer,long and muscular and no bother calving.
    Mom is sired by fiston which probably helped,FWO I’m talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,507 ✭✭✭High bike

That seems early for the stock bull but you never know i suppose.

Had a cow here calve a Fiston bull here the other day, 295 days gestation.

Had to jack a Highfield Odran bull calf out of a heifer at 4 this morning, first time i've had to jack a Saler calf but he was bigger than they usually are. Once the head came he was fine.

Have three Frosty King calves now off third calvers, two heifers and a bull, like the look of them so far, easy calved with good thickness, shape and frame to them.

Have a couple of Gamin ZGM Ccalves too, really like him, easy calved and they really start to shape up and put on muscle after a week or two.
    Have a couple of ZGM straws in the tank was thinking of chancing him on a pb 2nd Calver this year.What u think?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,507 ✭✭✭High bike

Nice Jackpot bull calf arrived here yesterday,was hoping for a heifer but u take what u get I suppose off a Sympa cow

josephsoap wrote: »
    Have you ever used FWO - fleetwood ?

No haven't used him, Fiston would be my CH bull of choice here up to now. Might try a few Bivouac this year also.
    I've seen some Fleetwood calves on a neighbours farm, nice quality calves and easy calved. I'd say he's worth a try anyway.
    The colour alone of CH calves is worth at least €100 over calves of other breeds of the same quality.

High bike wrote: »
    Have a couple of ZGM straws in the tank was thinking of chancing him on a pb 2nd Calvert this year.What u think?

Yeah, should be ideal for her.

No haven't used him, Fiston would be my CH bull of choice here up to now. Might try a few Bivouac this year also.
    I've seen some Fleetwood calves on a neighbours farm, nice quality calves and easy calved. I'd say he's worth a try anyway.
    The colour alone of CH calves is worth at least €100 over calves of other breeds of the same quality.

Ya but its easier get a more shapey limousin calf than a charolais,

ZCH can be a hard calved yoke. If your cow isn't too big, has plenty of milk and a bit of muscle to her you'll have a nice replacement there.

Cow is a dinger, calved stq and Ror in the past unassisted and has bags of milk with a great temprament, keeps every year on second heat

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭sonnybill

Very nice goldstar Ludwig , he worth a shot too

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭fanmanad

Firoda jason calf. About 6 weeks old

• Advertisement

Firoda Jason calf. About 6 weeks old

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,914 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

fanmanad wrote: »

He's fit to wean. :D

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Gudstock

I have a heifer on restricted hay diet here, worried about calving - her twin sister had serious difficul

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Gudstock

I have a heifer on restricted hay diet here, worried about calving - her twin sister had serious difficulty calving to same bull earlier in the season.
    Are oats good to feed her with and if so how much and how often?

Gudstock wrote: »
    I have a heifer on restricted hay diet here, worried about calving - her twin sister had serious difficulty calving to same bull earlier in the season.

Whens she due and what condition is she in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Dozer1

2nd last one calved this evening big ch bull decent pull with the jack 1 heifer left

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭cute geoge

I have a few 3yo dairy heifers calving to a hard calving hereford .I put them on a bare paddock with the last 10 days .2 have caved now with a strong jacking but ok.
    With the bare pick of grass they will get plenty of energy and the exercise will do them good also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I have a couple of heifers (a HEx and a SH) due within the next month. They are still in the shed at the moment on hay and precalver bucket licks. I'm giving them about 2-3kgs of rolled oats with a kilo of rolled barley. I will let them and another SH heifer that is due later out to the bare paddock at the house so I can keep an eye on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Someone posted in the last month or about a Vet prescribing a decongestant for their calf, anyone remember the name of the decongestant. I have been looking at previous posts but can't find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Biscuitus

They've done a lot of researching showing restricting diet in the last few weeks doesn't have much effect on calf size, it can help burn off the fat in the vulva which helps calving but it will have a big effect on milk yield, heifer's energy levels and the energy of the calf to get up and suckle. its a hard thing to balance but coming up to calving the most important thing is a good mineral and meal to get both their energy up. If its a heifer getting out to grass for a week or more will help build up the leg strength needed.

• Advertisement

Someone posted in the last month or about a Vet prescribing a decongestant for their calf, anyone remember the name of the decongestant. I have been looking at previous posts but can't find it.
    Was it me. Vet prescribed Bisolvan sachets for a calf with a bad cough.

Thanks Base Price. It's a week old calf with a temp 40 and rapid breathing. Vet gave him IM Nuflor and Metacam Friday. Temp still 40 today, gave him his second shot IM Nuflor and Metacam. He had easy birth, colostrum within the hour, approx 60 kg (a soft ball of a calf). He is still drinking out the cow. He has a watery discharge from the nose. He is in a straw bedded pen with the cow. I just don't like that rapid breathing.

Thanks Base Price. It's a week old calf with a temp 40 and rapid breathing. Vet gave him IM Nuflor and Metacam Friday. Temp still 40 today, gave him his second shot IM Nuflor and Metacam. He had easy birth, colostrum within the hour, approx 60 kg (a soft ball of a calf). He is still drinking out the cow. He has a watery discharge from the nose. He is in a straw bedded pen with the cow. I just don't like that rapid breathing.

If the Nuflor and Metacam didn't cure him since Friday i think i'd be trying something else today. How is he now?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Another calf here this evening. Easy job to get a nice little sh heifer calf out. Should make a solid wee team
    5 left

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

Calving season is finally over! 1 still born, but otherwise no major problems. Had my share of scours with the later March calves. Purchased a Trusti Tuber feeder after seeing recommendations about it on this thread. Best thing I bought in a long time. Took the hassle of trying to get a powder into a suck calf completely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 675 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

Sugarbowl wrote: »
    Calving season is finally over! 1 still born, but otherwise no major problems. Had my share of scours with the later March calves. Purchased a Trusti Tuber feeder after seeing recommendations about it on this thread. Best thing I bought in a long time. Took the hassle of trying to get a powder into a suck calf completely.

I did the same based on recommendation here. Taking over at home currently and trusti tuber & Bosteel calving gate best things to ever come into the farm!! Father delighted

If the Nuflor and Metacam didn't cure him since Friday i think i'd be trying something else today. How is he now?

Thank you, he is improved, 39.1 - still fast breathing. More alert, took some pics, will add later. Not being off his milk is helping, I think.

Sugarbowl wrote: »

Started using Rotavec Corona here a few years ago, think it's well worth it. Wouldn't be without it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Bit of a tight one with the jack tonight. Calf was small but the heifer was small and narrow. Was worried about her all spring because she never really grew. Pretty happy that I got him out by myself because I was sure she’d be another section.

One left now.

Thank you, he is improved, 39.1 - still fast breathing. More alert, took some pics, will add later. Not being off his milk is helping, I think.

Much improved - breathing easier.

lmx 30 march 20.jpg

• Advertisement

Much improved - breathing easier.

lmx 30 march 20.jpg
    Good to hear.
    The CHx heifer that I got the Bisolvan for had a good pull on her today. I trapped her in the creep feeder and her temperature was normal. She is one of those ones that I wouldn't be surprised if I found her dead in the field some day.

Thanks BasePrice for your help.

We never had a case like this before. It was probably that 5 cows calved the day he was born and 3 more the following morning. Never had that many calving together before, all the others are fine.

Hopefully, yours will be alright. It's the warm days and frosty nights that challenge them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 675 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

12th this evening. Nice heifer off 2nd calver aax with LM Lodge Hamlet bull. Water broke & calf out in 22minutes, calf up & sucking in another 10min. Such a lively calf. Why can't the all be like that!

Mbp heifer calf off a maiden heifer last nite around 11. Big pull with the Jack. Seemed plenty room inside but very tight when I out the hand in to make sure was coming right. Pushing a good but to try and get head out. Had to Jack. Calf slow to get up. Cow not providing alot of milk. Got 1.5 ltr in using bottle. And no interest in sucking at 5 this am. So stomach tubed 2.5 in around 11. Not showing sign to want to drink at all now. Thinking was she too long coming out.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭GiantPencil

tellmeabit wrote: »
    Mbp heifer calf off a maiden heifer last nite around 11. Big pull with the Jack. Seemed plenty room inside but very tight when I out the hand in to make sure was coming right. Pushing a good but to try and get head out. Had to Jack. Calf slow to get up. Cow not providing alot of milk. Got 1.5 ltr in using bottle. And no interest in sucking at 5 this am. So stomach tubed 2.5 in around 11. Not showing sign to want to drink at all now. Thinking was she too long coming out.

What breeding is the heifer? Surprised to see MBP used on a heifer with the way his calving difficulty is on heifers. Lucky you were there to assist, hopefully she perks up over the next few days

What breeding is the heifer? Surprised to see MBP used on a heifer with the way his calving difficulty is on heifers. Lucky you were there to assist, hopefully she perks up over the next few days

Ch heifer.maybe 27 months. Asked for ZAG or easy calving lm. What's what he gave. Not my normal Ai guy.

The want to suck is gone on the calf. Maybe because it's full now, but if not any trick to encourage suck

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

Ch heifer.maybe 27 months. Asked for ZAG or easy calving lm. What's what he gave. Not my normal Ai guy.

The want to suck is gone on the calf. Maybe because it's full now, but if not any trick to encourage suck

The usual trick is something like honey. You can get a shot from the vet but not sure what the story is with vets calling out or you bring the calf to the vet. If you can get to a co-op/agri store you can get much the same thing in a small bottle. Think the stuff I got before was called Calf-Start. Just fire it down the neck and it should stimulate them to suck.
    Best of luck anyway!

2.5 litres at 11 was a good feed, maybe she's still full yet. If she doesn't stand to such i suppose you'll have to tube her again.
    If I have to help a calf suck i put sugar on my finger, get them sucking that, then squirt the milk into their mouth and then get the tit into their mouth and hope they keep sucking. It usually works but they need to be able to stand to do this.

Isn't their an injection you can get to stimulate them to suck, can't think of its name, have never used it.
    The Ai lad that put MBP on that heifer needs a good kick up the hole, crazy carry on. Something like LM 2014 would be much better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

I’ve used a few different injections on young calves like that over the Spring that needed a perk up. Selenium worked well as did phosphorus/multi vit combo. The vet handed them over the counter with no hassle. After a few hours I’d see a big improvement. Definitely by the next feed.

• Advertisement

+1 on the multivit

Didn't need it this year yet but did use it twice last year now foundoing it good

Hunger is a great help too, by 2mor the dopeyness of calving should be gone off her

Advertisement