Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Home FAQ

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭DaveCliftonAP

If it's owned by Global in the UK which I think it is, they've blocked it outside the UK (for all their stations).

LBC seems to be unblocked again but annoyingly all other Global stations still aren't working.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Sorry if I missed this in the thread but how do I add the kids to our Google home so they can listen to spotify (we have a family sub) while not disrupting another person listening in a different room?

In the home app it says I can add family members but you need their email address, do I need to create gmail accounts for the kids then?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Picked up the Nest Hub at the £59 and it's been very well received in the apartment, big fan of the digital google photos frame!

Would nearly get another!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,675 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Sorry if I missed this in the thread but how do I add the kids to our Google home so they can listen to spotify (we have a family sub) while not disrupting another person listening in a different room?

In the home app it says I can add family members but you need their email address, do I need to create gmail accounts for the kids then?

I set up Gmail accounts for my 2 kids shortly after they were born, sooner you do it the better the chance of having something close to their names! Have them set up for voice match on each Google Home and set them up with their own Spotify accounts as well after I got fed up with music stopping when I was driving home and one of them must have asked for some music at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

To get the most features and integrations set it to USA or UK. You'll have to put up with the voice though

Other than the voice, is there any disadvantage to doing this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

McGaggs wrote: »
    Other than the voice, is there any disadvantage to doing this?

None

R.O.R wrote: »
    I set up Gmail accounts for my 2 kids shortly after they were born, sooner you do it the better the chance of having something close to their names! Have them set up for voice match on each Google Home and set them up with their own Spotify accounts as well after I got fed up with music stopping when I was driving home and one of them must have asked for some music at home.

We have a spotify family account, so want them to be able to access that but not stop one Google device working if they ask for music on another room.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,418 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

We have a spotify family account, so want them to be able to access that but not stop one Google device working if they ask for music on another room.

Wondering the same. Is this possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

I cannot be the first person who thought of this! A simple USB power adapter will power you google mini so you can use outside listen to music in the sun!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

BailMeOut wrote: »
    I cannot be the first person who thought of this! A simple USB power adapter will power you google mini so you can use outside listen to music in the sun!

I have a speaker that does this already, is waterproof and connects with the speakers I have indoors... It is also chargeable... Looks like a solution looking for a problem.

• Advertisement

Bluefoam wrote: »
    I have a speaker that does this already, is waterproof and connects with the speakers I have indoors... It is also chargeable... Looks like a solution looking for a problem.

Can you talk to your outdoor speaker? This is a Google home thread!

Can you talk to your outdoor speaker? This is a Google home thread!

Yes I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭RunDMC

We have that, it's called the Garden gnHome!

R

Mr.S wrote: »
    How do Google / Nest Homes work in close(ish) proximity?

We have a Nest Hub that is in the kitchen, and it can pick up what you hear from the living room if you raise your voice a bit - if we put a Mini in the same room, I assume only device will pick up on the request based on who's closer to the voice?

Use rooms to distinguish between them. I have one in the sitting room, one in the kitchen and one in the bedroom and have Phillips hue lights all over the house. When I say turn on the lights the correct lights turn on depending on where I ask from.

Use rooms to distinguish between them. I have one in the sitting room, one in the kitchen and one in the bedroom and have Phillips hue lights all over the house. When I say turn on the lights the correct lights turn on depending on where I ask from.

Ours often turns on or off a light in a different room if you forget to name the room itself in the command, do you get this too?

Ours often turns on or off a light in a different room if you forget to name the room itself in the command, do you get this too?

No, I never need to prefix with a room name. Turn on/of the lights works for me. Do you have your lights set in rooms in the Google app? And the Google home in the relevant rooms?

No, I never need to prefix with a room name. Turn on/of the lights works for me. Do you have your lights set in rooms in the Google app? And the Google home in the relevant rooms?

Yep and yep

Sometimes but not everytime if I say turn off the lights, they'll switch off in both the kids room and lounge (if i am in the kids room that is beside the lounge).

If I say turn the kids room light off it only switches those lights off.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,158 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Anyone ever get Newstalk news working on google home?

I have it added as a news source along with RTE and BBC for the "Good Morning" routine but it only ever plays RTE and BBC.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

Mickeroo wrote: »

I have it added as a news source along with RTE and BBC for the "Good Morning" routine but it only ever plays RTE and BBC.

I used to have newstalk but it only updated about once a week so wasn't worth it. I now have RTE, BBC minute and BBC

• Registered Users Posts: 17,681 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Newstalk radio? Works perfectly, just say hey G play Newstalk fm.

As a news source it's never undated so best to setup rte for when you want to say hey G what's the news.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

"hey google play newstalk FM radio" works perfectly (I say this 100 times a day!)

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭timetogo1

I have it set as my alarm in the morning. Works fine.

timetogo1 wrote: »
    I have it set as my alarm in the morning. Works fine.

Likewise.

"hey google play newstalk FM radio" works perfectly (I say this 100 times a day!)

You shouldn't need to say it 100 times/day... there must be a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 17,681 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Why? Should it be able to read your mind? ;)

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

kids keep switching to RedFM!

How do make the radio the alarm? I did not know this was possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭timetogo1

kids keep switching to RedFM!

How do make the radio the alarm? I did not know this was possible.

Hey Google, set a radio alarm for 7pm

Then it'll respond saying what station do you want.

Or

Hey Google, set a repeating radio alarm for 8pm.

Then it'll ask the remaining questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭54and56

Is there any way to get Google Home to accept instructions to create/add a task to Google Tasks? I haven't had any luck thus far.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,158 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

No problems getting newstalk radio to play, it's the newstalk news update I was asking about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Twigster

Good morning all, recently set up two nest minis and have them tied in with the tv, chromecast and xbox with no issues, and linked in with spotify and Netflix.
    One problem I'm having is getting it to play films from Google play movies that I already bought. I get a message saying the film isn't available, or if I do a text command via the home app that it "can't do that right now".
    Has anyone else come across this? Saw a couple of similar issues on the Google forums but no definitive solution.

Advertisement