Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sochi Olympic thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

jvan wrote: »
    Just listening to the commentary and they're saying it's 12c. Is it usually that warm around there. If I remember correctly Vancouver had similar issues with bad snow conditions.

At the freestyle test events last year it was 16 degrees at the pipe and 13 for the moguls!! So it's not unknown.

But the weather could be good/ bad anywhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭AlanG

gallag wrote: »
    I never cast any assertions on his character, what I said is true, he first came to Ireland after exhausting other options, this is simple fact, I can see the benefit of this arrangement if he does hang around and help promote talent and hopefully he is successful at it.

Have to agree, If they are going to have so little regard for nationality they should probably just get rid of the national aspect of the games and just let the best athletes compete.
    He could be the nicest person in the world but it's a major stretch to call him Irish. I can't understand the abuse you are getting for pointing out the obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

Fattes wrote: »
    I was referring to the crash of Alexandra Coletti from
    Monaco looked and sounded horrific and she was helicopters off! Her shrieks of pain were uncomfortable to say the least

Ah right she was with the second group skiers. Didn't see that.

AlanG wrote: »
    Have to agree, If they are going to have so little regard for nationality they should probably just get rid of the national aspect of the games and just let the best athletes compete.
    He could be the nicest person in the world but it's a major stretch to call him Irish. I can't understand the abuse you are getting for pointing out the obvious.

It is the below post that is so far from the truth it's not funny! But hey it's ok for posters under anonymity to come in here and say what they like even if it's not true as long as it illustrates their point. Apparently even the mods think it's ok for people to lie about our athletes.

[/quote]What an ignorant post! He only set foot in Ireland after deciding he could not represent the USA, I suppose he needed to sign papers etc,[/quote]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

Canada vs USA, women's ice hockey is on BBC 2 right now, I'm shocked. :P

Still waiting for Latvia vs Switzerland though.

Double luge anyone??? Discuss the point

The ice hockey game was pretty interesting. USA scored the first goal but then trailed 3-1. A minute before the end of the 3rd period USA scored their second goal and then a few seconds later Canada got a penalty and then they tried to even the score to go into the overtime with 6 vs 4 skaters on ice, but Canada won 3-2. :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The papers will have a picture of the luge track and the "Hot, Cool, Yours" slogan in them tomorrow.

robinph wrote: »
    The papers will have a picture of the luge track and the "Hot, Cool, Yours" slogan in them tomorrow.

Sounds like something you'd see on Supermacs paper bags. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Amazing, absolutely amazing dead heat for first between local girl here Dominique Gisin and Tina Maze!!! Lara Gut in 3rd
    Between a gold medal and fresh snow today will be interesting in the village

A pretty bad fall for one of the ladies today hopefully nothing to serious but did not look or sound good hopefully she is ok

Yep amazing run this morning. Never ceases to amaze me what great athletes they are, seriously brave too. I thought Mancuso had it in the bag but a dodgy second half let it slip away from her.

Mad sport but brilliant to watch. Some hilarious homoerotic gaffs being made by the BBC commentary team......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

GvidoR wrote: »
    Looking forward to ice hockey today. ;)

Czech Republic - Sweden on. What a game to start off !!!

tunguska wrote: »
    Mad sport but brilliant to watch. Some hilarious homoerotic gaffs being made by the BBC commentary team......

Did you see this hilarious Canadian advert :D :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Is the Ice Hockey on tv?

Yep amazing run this morning. Never ceases to amaze me what great athletes they are, seriously brave too. I thought Mancuso had it in the bag but a dodgy second half let it slip away from her.

Just at the official village celebration for Domonique lots of noise and large beers, first round on the bar tonight :)

• Advertisement

Ladies and gentlemen I give you your Olympic freestyle judges ha ha

Just at the official village celebration for Domonique lots of noise and large beers, first round on the bar tonight :)

Delighted for Gisin, I dont know her personally but always strikes me as a really nice person.
    Seriously tempted to head over to Sochi for next week. Whats the situation with tickets/accommodation?

Delighted for Gisin, I dont know her personally but always strikes me as a really nice person.
    Seriously tempted to head over to Sochi for next week. Whats the situation with tickets/accommodation?

Probably start on Orwell road getting a visa!!!

After her huge smash in Vancouver it's seems like a just reward

iroced wrote: »
    Czech Republic - Sweden on. What a game to start off !!!

And what a game it was ! Already high intensity. Though the Czech didn't really start their game 'till the second half of the second period. The Swedes took advantage of their powerplays and went ahead 2-0 in the first period and quickly 4-0 in the second. Then the Czech reacted and came back into the game with 2 goals. The end of the second and the whole third periods were thrilling. Several opportunities for the Czech to reduce the gap and some to extend their lead for the Swedes.
    Is the Ice Hockey on tv?

I'm in France so can't really help for that matters. Isn't there some online live footage on the BBC or RTE where you can choose what you want to see. That's what the French TV is doing for a couple of Olympics now and it's brilliant.

excellent webpage on Ted Ligity and slalom technique

well worth a view

http://www.nytimes.com/newsgraphics/2014/sochi-olympics/giant-slalom.html

• Advertisement

hawkwind23 wrote: »

well worth a view

It's interesting as there is nothing new in what he does he has just perfected what everyone aims to achieve, getting on to the new edge as early as possible and exerting as much force as possible on the outside ski while creating big angles.

Bode pioneered big angles especially in DH and super G.

That said doing sow thing perfectly is near impossible and Ligity makes it look easy!

Winning snowboard run from tonight!! Great photo

who is RTE buying their highlights from - the commentators are terrible (so boring) and the interview questions worse again. Maybe it's Russians with a sort of American accent?

hawkwind23 wrote: »

well worth a view

great production.

glasso wrote: »
    great production.

A lot of it is Ted's own training footage!! His YouTube stuff is great

Results from the first slope style run this morning the boy woodsy is killing it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭prunudo

Does that put him straight into the finals Fattes?

Does that put him straight into the finals Fattes?

Should see him safe, pulled up with the hip on the 2nd run but sitting above bobby brown, Gus Kenworthy, Henrik Haurlet. Anyone above 82 should be safe now!

Judges are being harsh but right it's about good clean tricks & punishing big and sloppy

Do you know what time the final is on at?
    Hope his hip doesn't give him too much grief.

Do you know what time the final is on at?
    Hope his hip doesn't give him too much grief.

9:30 Gmt I think he will go 3rd last as it in reverse order

Biting my nails!! Have skied with and known him since he was 15!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭afatbollix

glasso wrote: »
    who is RTE buying their highlights from - the commentators are terrible (so boring) and the interview questions worse again. Maybe it's Russians with a sort of American accent?

That would be a program made by the OBS or the olympics themselves.

• Advertisement

well done!
    got to be proud of that after the injury

and what a great interview even with G Bellend :)

He has travelled a long way and with a hip injury did us proud today!! Hope he finally lets the hair down tonight with Pat who has groomed and supported him from the start
    Watched it on the hill in a cafe screaming at the TV!!

He has come a long way since this Woodsy Lincon in Dublin

Great to see Gus Kenworthy on the podium he has saved some stray Sochi puppies!! Shows what a nice guy he is

Now off to Huck some cliffs

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Well that was a bit unexpected in the speed skating. Hopefully no DQ's.

Well that was a bit unexpected in the speed skating. Hopefully no DQ's.

Boo.

Was right though by the looks of the replay, not sure why the one that was in second went and fell over though.

Boo.

Was right though by the looks of the replay, not sure why the one that was in second went and fell over though.

She was not very gracious in her interview!! Hoping it was just emotion but she came across quite poorly

She was not very gracious in her interview!! Hoping it was just emotion but she came across quite poorly

Missed that as I went to fetch some lunch. Stay upright is the main requirement when it comes to a 4 way final, let the other trip themselves up and do a Bradbury.

Luge relay looks great. :D

• Advertisement

Luge relay looks great. :D

Balls, I had to head out, gonna miss that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

Sochi from space

BgN4HWVCYAACfCS.jpg:large

Someone went to a lot of effort her today just under the tree it reads

"Gold Dominique Danke"

Chucking snow all afternoon so hard to read

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Does anyone know what that music was that the last Czech figure skater was using?

edit: Nevermind, found it.

I thought it while watching this morning but after seeing the highlights show I still think that Gus Kenworthy should have got the gold in the men's slope style. Although I'm only a humble boarder so what would I know!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭forzacalcio

what time are the two lads on today?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Absoluvely

what time are the two lads on today?
    Cross-Country-icon.png2020599-90X112.jpg
    ireland-flag.jpg Jan ROSSITER finished 82nd out of 87 finishers in the 15km cross-country classic (time-trial) today.
    His time was 48:44.6. The winner's time was 38:29.7.
    Event page here: http://www.sochi2014.com/en/cross-country-men-s-15-km-classic

Skeleton-icon.png2033867-90X112.jpg
    ireland-flag.jpg Sean GREENWOOD is in Heat 1 of the Skeleton, which starts in half an hour.
    He's 21st on the starting list though so it could be a while before he runs.
    Event page here: http://www.sochi2014.com/en/skeleton-men-s-heat-1

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Golfer59

Sean's first run wasn't to bad, as the BBC commentators said its hard to be fast when you have a big upper body seeing as he came from playing rugby. after heat 1 he is matching his world ranking position.

Golfer59 wrote: »
    Sean's first run wasn't to bad, as the BBC commentators said its hard to be fast when you have a big upper body seeing as he came from playing rugby. after heat 1 he is matching his world ranking position.

Yeah. He's ranked 21st and he's in 21st position. He will need to improve in Heat 2 though as it's only the top 20 who go into Heats 3 and 4 tomorrow.

Heat 2 has started. I'd say Sean will be sliding in about 25 minutes.

Crashed and sort of recovered.

He finished about 7 seconds slower than his first time. So no chance of sliding again tomorrow.

• Advertisement
Advertisement