Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Science Trivia Quiz

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

wow....never thought i'd get mentioned for getting something correct in this thread!

right..... i'll have a nother stab at a question

if a woman carrying the gene for haemophilia marries a guy with haemophilia and they have kids what are the chances that

(a) their first born son will have the disease

(b) their first born daughter will have the disease

now saw a carrier woman marries a normal man, what are the chances for (a) and (b) also

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭happydude13

Just to go back to the dropping Vs firing of an object.

Surely it depends on how you decide what horizontal is, since the earth is not flat. horixontal at the point of firing is not horizontal 10m away, so the object being fired is climbing initially.

Also if the object is fired fast enough it will actually escape into orbit.

if it is not fired this fast then it surely has further to fall than the other object.

Is their a firing angle, dependant on the initial velocity of the projectile, which will result in the two objects hitting the groud at the same time.

my 2c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

hey heres a good one.
    What if there was a tunnel going straight down towards the core of the earth and then straight through to the other side of the world. Theoretically - you could see through to the other side of the world. Now what would happen if one dropped a heavy object down this hole, this tunnel. Would the object go mad fast and eventually pop out the other side or would it go past the core and out the other side, go back to the core and out the other side in ever decreasing bounces. Or something else?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Gordon
    hey heres a good one.
    What if there was a tunnel going straight down towards the core of the earth and then straight through to the other side of the world. Theoretically - you could see through to the other side of the world. Now what would happen if one dropped a heavy object down this hole, this tunnel. Would the object go mad fast and eventually pop out the other side or would it go past the core and out the other side, go back to the core and out the other side in ever decreasing bounces. Or something else?
    Actually it would only drop once and impact on the new centre of the earth, formed by pressure / gravity acting on material surrounding your 'hole'. It probably wouldn't bounce. :p

Haemophilia is carried on the X chromosome, but is recessive. As male carrier embryoes do not have a second X chromosome, all male carriers are inevitably sufferers. Female carrier embryoes, with their second X chromosome have a better chance of not having the acive condition, however nearly all females with two haemophilia X chromosomes die during pregnancy.

Haemophilia is a condition, not quite a "disease".
    Originally posted by thedrowner
    haemophilia (carrier F / sufferer M)
    Son (50% carriers) 50:50, daughter (~100% carriers) about 100:2
    Originally posted by thedrowner
    haemophilia (carrier F / non-carrier M)
    Son (50% carriers) 50:50, daughter (~100% carriers) about 100:1.
    Off topic: Of course the existence of "normal" men is merely theoretical. ;)

Originally posted by Raptor
    Maths
    You throw drop and object, A, of mass m straight down, and fire an identical mass, B, m horizontally at the same instant. Ignoring air resistance and uneven ground, what happens?
    a) A hits the ground first
    b) B hits the ground first
    c) They hit the ground at the same time
    And why?
    In practice they will hit at the same time. The shape (straight, curved, "barrel droop")and lenght of the firing mechanism may delay the fired object by the amount of time it takes to clear the firing mechanism.

Originally posted by Congoose
    Is it zinc?
    this is the "most" correct answer as both brass and bronze contain both copper and tin (in varying amounts). Bronze does not normally contain zinc. However both will in practice contain impurities. There are also other forms of bronze such as an aluminium bronze.

Bah there was already a thread about my question?! booh!

Ye it would continue downwards and reduce speed consistently until stopping rather nicely at the "core" of the earth.

Gosh would I love to see that happen.

Hey Victor, you would answer this I'm sure (I don't know the answer to it). - What's the difference between a disease and a "condition"?

• Advertisement

Ok, it's a trick question.

What Latin name denotes us human beings that exist on the planet Earth right now?

[hint]It begins with Homo

It was brought to my attention by an archeologist friend of mine and it's not what many people think btw. (gosh I hope I'm right with this :()

What Latin name denotes us human beings that exist on the planet Earth right now?
    Homo sapiens sapiens I knew it probably wasn't Homo sapiens before i looked, but I didn't know for sure.

Stop stalking me ;)

Heh! well done Vic the stalkee! Yes indeed, a fact I like to say to many people to prove my godly prescencial knowledge over is the fact that we are not homo sapiens but homo sapiens sapiens! Such a petty instrument I have must push me back into the erectus genus though.

h-sapiens-sapiens-title.jpeg

Who's winning this quiz anyway?!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Answers

What is the only element of the periodic table to adopt a simple cubic structure when solid

a)magnesium b)uranium c)helium d)polonium

What is the hybridisation of carbon in an alkane, alkene and alkyne repectively.

d) polonium

alkane sp^3
    alkene sp^2
    alkyne sp

Originally posted by Dataisgod

d) polonium
    And what country was this... um... found in?

New questions

Chemistry.

In aqueous solution which of these group 1 metal ions is the largest

a)Lithium
    b)Sodium
    c)Potassium
    d)Cesium

Which of these has the highest boiling point/melting point

a)Lithium fluoride
    b)Sodium chloride
    c)Potassium bromide
    d)Cesium iodide

Physics

The temperature below which a material becomes superconducting is known as?

The transition between fluid and superfluid for Helium-4 occurs at approximately 2.17K this is known as the what point?

Particles of integer spin (bosons) obey which statistics?

Particles of half-integer spin (fermions) obey which statistics?

In approximately what wavelength region of the electromagnetic spectrum does visible light occur?

"And what country was this... um... found in?"

Found in wales just outside cardiff yesterday

In approximately what wavelength region of the electromagnetic spectrum does visible light occur?
    Ah this I know, although I have to consult my xl file from a few months ago.

380 nanometres - 740 nanometres (thanks that makes me remember something.)

And I rephrase my question to - where was it first found!

Found in France 1898, name comes from country of origin of Pierre and Marie Curie. Most or none of which i knew to till two minutes ago when i looked it up :)

Hey Victor, you would answer this I'm sure (I don't know the answer to it). - What's the difference between a disease and a "condition"?
    Hmmm, calling my bluff..... and stalking me. And my bluff is called as I don't know precise definitions and a dictionary.com search doesn't really help. Dictionaries tend to use the two almost interchangably. The distinction I would make is that a conditions (genetic and environmental - diabetes, haemophilia, mosts cancers, burns, fractures) are non-infectious. I'm undecided whether conditions are seperate from or are a subset of diseases (including primarily infections). I'm not sure how permanence affects the matter http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=disease has "A disease is usually deep-seated and permanent", however a distinction need sto be made between curable (infection) and treatable (diabetes).

http://cancerweb.ncl.ac.uk

Disease: A pathological condition of a part, organ, or system of an organism resulting from various causes, such as infection, genetic defect, or environmental stress, and characterized by an identifiable group of signs or symptoms.

Condition: A mode or state of being, the state of being fit: the physical status of the body as a whole or of one of its parts usually used to indicate abnormality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

hey heres a good one.

That is the freakiest thing I have ever read here, that has been bugging me for ages, so I decided to post it here on boards today.Wonder what the answers will be?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

Originally posted by Victor
    Haemophilia is carried on the X chromosome, but is recessive. As male carrier embryoes do not have a second X chromosome, all male carriers are inevitably sufferers. Female carrier embryoes, with their second X chromosome have a better chance of not having the acive condition, however nearly all females with two haemophilia X chromosomes die during pregnancy.

Haemophilia is a condition, not quite a "disease".

Son (50% carriers) 50:50, daughter (~100% carriers) about 100:2

Son (50% carriers) 50:50, daughter (~100% carriers) about 100:1.

Off topic: Of course the existence of "normal" men is merely theoretical. ;)

you were right about the sons. with the girls, there'd be a 50% chance of them being affected (and a 50% chance of them being a carrier in questions one ) and with the 2nd scenario, there is no possibilty of the girl getting affected, but a 50% chance of her being a carrier. you're right, most females with haemophilia die in the womb, andyes, there is no such thing as a normal man :)

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Ciaran

Particles of integer spin (bosons) obey which statistics?
    Bose-Einstein
    Particles of half-integer spin (fermions) obey which statistics?[/B]
    Fermi-Dirac (I think)

Wow 2nd year Physics comes in handy for the first time!

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Originally posted by Sangre

That is the freakiest thing I have ever read here, that has been bugging me for ages, so I decided to post it here on boards today.Wonder what the answers will be?

This presumes a few things but I'll give you the answer you are probably looking for.

Assumptions:
    1. The earth is circular or at least uniformly oval around the axis you are drilling.

2. Its uniformly dense or (again) its variations are uniform through the length of the axis you are drilling on.

3. Air resistance is not ignored.

Ok, consider the pull of Gravity of the earth JUST as you drop it. Pretty big eh? So it will speed up.
    Now a quarter of the way through the earth there is a large chunk of matter *behind* so there is a force acting to slow it down... however there is a much LARGER chunk of matter ahead of it... giving it a much larger force to accelerate so it does.

It will accelerate right up until the very core... where the gravity from the matter *ahead* is equivalent to the gravity of the matter behind. At that exact spot it is neither accelerating or decelerating... buts its been accelerating for the entire of its "drop" so far so its going pretty fast!

As it proceeds, the gravity from the matter *behind* it is not bigger then that of the matter *ahead* of it so its being slowed down but theres a lot of speed already built up... it will take some time to slow down to a stand still...

In fact it will come to a perfect halt at exactly the height from the earth that you originally dropped it from.

Now, unless you have an australian mate who is standing there ready to catch it when it comes to a halt... it will fall back (remember there is a large mass *behind* it pulling it).

It will do the same thing as before and end up for one instant, perfectly still in front of you!

If its not interfered with it will oscillate back and forth like a pendulum.

So there you go.

DeV.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

My questions:

DeV 1. : If the lotto has 40 numbers and you pick 6... what is the ratio of probabilities of 1,2,3,4,5,6 coming up compared with a sequence picked at random.

DeV 2 : What does the Moh scale measure (no googling!)

DeV 3 : True or False: Black holes cannot be observed on Earth because nothing, not even light, can escape their event horizon...

DeV 4 : What is the name of the weight-limit a star must be to form a blackhole when it collapses?

DeV 5 : What is the biggest number which has a name? (no Googoling!)

:)

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

1) Same, by definition. (but you'll win less if those numbers come up because loads of other people pick them as well!)

2) Measure Of Hardness

3) False (its detectable somehow but I cant remember how)

4) ????

5) Googolplex

Dev 2 i agree its a measure of hardness, i think diamond comes up at nine or possibly ten.

Dev 3 i agree false, and not sure of the exact reason, hawking radiation is emitted by the black hole don't know if it is detectable or not

Dev 4, if i remember correctly its called the (edit spelling) chandreksar limit.

Originally posted by DeVore
    My questions:

DeV 1. : If the lotto has 40 numbers and you pick 6... what is the ratio of probabilities of 1,2,3,4,5,6 coming up compared with a sequence picked at random.

DeV 2 : What does the Moh scale measure (no googling!)

DeV 3 : True or False: Black holes cannot be observed on Earth because nothing, not even light, can escape their event horizon...

DeV 4 : What is the name of the weight-limit a star must be to form a blackhole when it collapses?

DeV 5 : What is the biggest number which has a name? (no Googoling!)

:)

DeV.

Answers:
    1. yes 1,2,3,4,5,6 have the same chance of winning as any other sequence you pick (I love to listen to people get confused and say "but but... they're in a sequence... thats got to be less likely.. its like a Royal Flush in poker!")

2. Hardness... diamond is 10.

3. True, they can be observed by looking for what it now referred to as Hawking Radiation.... it is the radiation from when one half of a sub-atomic particle is pulled into the blackhole and the other half escapes. Interestingly this only happens at the event-horizon. If you are looking for Hawking Radiation apparently "black" holes glow like a motherf*cker :)

4. Congrats to DataIsGod, its Chandarskars Limit (and equates to just over 11 times the mass of the sun iirc!). There are various bands of weight where curious things happen like White Dwarfs and Brown Giants but it takes 11 times the mass of Sol to form a black hole...

5. A "Googol" (hence the hidden hint in the question). Googolplex rings a bell too, so I might check the source on this one...

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Ciaran

Originally posted by DeVore
    Googolplex rings a bell too, so I might check the source on this one
    Think that was in Hitchhikers' guide to the galaxy.

Advertisement