Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn 2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭OldRio

Serious amount of rain falling in Leitrim. Fields flooding and levels in lochs and lakes getting high.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Rotten morning in Cork City, some very heavy rain. Reports of flooding all over the county really. Looks like a lot of the drains are blocked with leaves. Why these don't get cleaned before rain warnings is beyond me, happens every autumn

Dark and damp on the East coast this morning but an 8am swim in the breaking waves meant I soon forgot about the weather and the rest of the day feels amazing! In fact the worse the weather the more of a sense of achievement and positivity you get! This is my fix for Winter 2020/2021

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Rotten morning in Cork City, some very heavy rain. Reports of flooding all over the county really. Looks like a lot of the drains are blocked with leaves. Why these don't get cleaned before rain warnings is beyond me, happens every autumn

My mum was saying the exact same thing this morning; it's madness that this isn't done, with the amount of rain we get. That's why roads are flooded a lot of the time at this time of year, because of leaves blocking the drains.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

By noon the gale had blown and screamed its way out...heavy deluges now. Far better than the banshee screeches.

As in so many places, the land is waterlogged; a small lake between path and gate. But it always runs off into the ocean so we fare better than elsewhere.

A soup and fireside early winter day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭giveitholly

OldRio wrote: »
    Serious amount of rain falling in Leitrim. Fields flooding and levels in lochs and lakes getting high.

Would levels be much higher than they usually are at this time of the year?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,884 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Torrential rain in Galway now very dark

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭OldRio

Would levels be much higher than they usually are at this time of the year?

We live by a Loch. Levels vary all the time but they are high in comparison to last year. Water that normally feeds into the Loch is backed up and fields are flooded.
    This is a normal occurrence when the water table is high and will reduce quickly if and when the rain stops.

The levels in the Shannon Erne canal are also high. If this rain continues problems locally and further down the Shannon are inevitable. It's very early in the season to be worrying too much. A week or two of relative dry weather and we'll be grand. But............

• Registered Users Posts: 24,292 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Was planning on taking the young one out for some fresh air

Might give it a miss

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Filthy weather in Cork for 18+ hours. Grim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Just over 30mm of rain in Castlebar since midnight and still falling.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,903 ✭✭✭pauldry

47mm in Cork so far

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭4Ad

Horrendous night and day in East Clare..no let up at all...
    Depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,884 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Roads around Galway flooded in torrential rain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Desperate desperate day as is often the case a lot worse than some of the days we’d be getting endless warnings about albeit there’s a yellow level in operation. Jesus it’s going to be a long winter and no prospect in the short term of getting out of here for a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Was there warning issued for this? My trampoline is gone!!

US2 wrote: »
    Was there warning issued for this? My trampoline is gone!!

WOW! Hope you find it!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,656 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Relentless rain since last night, with some quite heavy bursts on and off since this morning.

Field outside flooded and its on a hill :eek:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

can't even walk across the grass anymore in the garden, feet just sink right into the mud.

• Advertisement

Cleveragh back alley road Sligo flooded

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Dried up nicely now in Cork City - might just get a walk in before the next deluge :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Rain has eased off here in Castlebar after 24 hours. More heavy rain tomorrow afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭appledrop

Wet, dreary dark day in Dublin.

It is mild but mot really much use when it's so damp.

We haven't had sunshine in a few days hopefully its going to clear up soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Artane2002

appledrop wrote: »
    Wet, dreary dark day in Dublin.

It is mild but mot really much use when it's so damp.

We haven't had sunshine in a few days hopefully its going to clear up soon.

i'm actually surprised by the relative lack of complaints about November so far, it's been a pretty poor month so far. it's been constantly dark since Saturday apart from yesterday morning (and even that didn't last long) and the first few days weren't impressive either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭daniel_t1409

Artane2002 wrote: »
    i'm actually surprised by the relative lack of complaints about November so far, it's been a pretty poor month so far. it's been constantly dark since Saturday apart from yesterday morning (and even that didn't last long) and the first few days weren't impressive either.
    Yep, November has been a continuation of the year+ long deluges. October was also quite wet but also had quite a lot of sunshine, at least in wexford anyway. The only breaks from the rain were March-May and most of September.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Cloudy damp misty old day in meath, only 6.4mm of rain though, felt like there should have been more

• Registered Users Posts: 7,125 ✭✭✭pad199207

Wild night and wilder morning. I have to call the ferry but am pretty sure there will be no shopping trip today.

So just getting on with indoor things; always plenty to do .
    My only outing will be picking dark green leafy stuff for dinner..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

pad199207 wrote: »

Yeh, was beautiful sunrise with the crescent moon and Venus in view as well.

Was hard to keep an eye on the road on the commute.

Advertisement