Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hairdressing course

Options
  • 05-09-2020 11:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭

My wife wants to change career. Her time is coming to an end in supermarket retail as a manager (combination of glass ceiling, no degree, more dangerous work environment, opposing early-late shifts and endemic bullying by other managers and incompetence). She wants out before she burns out.

She wants to do a hairdressing course. €4k, 7 months part-time out the other end and into industry. Can any hairdresser (student, recently qualified and managers) please advise? What should she be looking for on a course? Where did you qualify and how well did it prepare you for industry? What are the start up costs? Is the course fairly priced? How to verify a courses certification and if you will get recognition afterwards.

I am enquiring on her behalf. I don't know the difference between shampoo and conditioner if it weren't written on the bottle. I havent been in a hairdressers since I was 12. Your thoughts are welcomed please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

4K is incredibly expensive for a 7 month course. I know some privately run courses charge a good few thousand but part time for several months doesnt sound very good imo. You cant learn everything you need to know in that short amount of time.
    Generally institutes of further education provide hairdressing courses for a much more reasonable cost and they cover everything you need to know, if your wife contacts her local ETB they should be able to guide her in the right direction.

I did a one year QQI level 5 in hairdressing about 12 years ago, I worked as a hairdresser for a year but it wasnt for me. In my experience from working in 2 different hair salons, one was owned by a business woman with no background in beauty or hair dressing, she was a bit of a bully and there was so much pressure on the staff to sell products to customers, if we didnt reach our weekly 'goal' it would effect our wages.
    The other hairdressers I worked in was owned by a stylist, there was no pressure to sell products but the environment was very bitchy, I left for my own mental health.

She will still be working in a business where problems arise when working with others but her management experience should stand to her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

4K is incredibly expensive for a 7 month course. I know some privately run courses charge a good few thousand but part time for several months doesnt sound very good imo. You cant learn everything you need to know in that short amount of time.

hmmm The one year course is within our budget but we cannot afford to take time out to do the course full time. Just to add another burden to us, social welfare have cut my disability in half because we told them we were married.

We really appreciate your candidacy and frankness about the industry. You are the first to reply. My wife against my advice wants to finish a private bookkeeping course first. I am a "move quickly and break stuff" kind of guy. You cant wait for all your ducks to be in a row perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

If she studies while working in a hairdressers fulltime I'd say go for it. Ideally she should get some practical experience first before committing so much money.

It is a lot of money though.. A plc or fas course would be a lot cheaper and maybe just as good.

Has she spoken to any hairdressers to see how they rate the courses?

Is she planning on being an employee or self-employed - to me it would be daunting to finish a short, part-time course and expect to take on clients.

antix80 wrote: »
    If she studies while working in a hairdressers fulltime I'd say go for it. Ideally she should get some practical experience first before committing so much money.

It is a lot of money though.. A plc or fas course would be a lot cheaper and maybe just as good.

Has she spoken to any hairdressers to see how they rate the courses?

Is she planning on being an employee or self-employed - to me it would be daunting to finish a short, part-time course and expect to take on clients.

No she is working in shop as assistant manager and is the main breadwinner. She is also very customer orientated.
    Our time is limited in this country due to our age (late 30s -early 40s), housing (renting), education (incomplete) and no pension plan. I am a believer in continuous education but have an awkward history due to disability.

I was only told about this Friday night. Herself being herself has probably thought a lot about it but is slightly afraid because her family aren't big fans of formal education structures. I am ALWAYS chipping away at a course or trying to learn something from youtube. She is far from dumb but she doesnt believe in CPD up till now.

She wants to learn hairdressing work for a year (I am hoping that also includes plenty of CPD) and then open her own business including fitting wigs.

Being completely honest she will have a hard time getting work as a hairdresser with a 7 month part time course, she's competing for jobs against FE graduates with a full time 2 year level 6 qualification in hairdressing. If she wants to do a short part time course id suggest barbering and then working her way forward from there.
    Not sure if you mean she wants to open a salon straight after she finishes her course or a few years down the line? To open a salon she would need to have a clientele - as in regular customers built up over years unless she plans to employ experienced hairdressers who already have their own customers but then hse has to consider the extra costs of employing hairdressers, paying insurance and rent for the premises and all the costs that go along with running a salon like equipment, products, supplies ect.. It's something she would really need to think about.

For the time being could she look for a manager job else where? If she got something part time or evening/weekend work she could possibly complete the full time course? Its hard work but so many people do it.

• Advertisement

Being completely honest she will have a hard time getting work as a hairdresser with a 7 month part time course, she's competing for jobs against FE graduates with a full time 2 year level 6 qualification in hairdressing. If she wants to do a short part time course id suggest barbering and then working her way forward from there.
    Not sure if you mean she wants to open a salon straight after she finishes her course or a few years down the line? To open a salon she would need to have a clientele - as in regular customers built up over years unless she plans to employ experienced hairdressers who already have their own customers but then hse has to consider the extra costs of employing hairdressers, paying insurance and rent for the premises and all the costs that go along with running a salon like equipment, products, supplies ect.. It's something she would really need to think about.

For the time being could she look for a manager job else where? If she got something part time or evening/weekend work she could possibly complete the full time course? Its hard work but so many people do it.

She is looking for a property with a garage to convert. She is at that age when she doesnt have a degree and lets tell the truth the way it is..... recruiters and employers are ageist. They dont want to be hiring you the wrong side of 30 unless you have some amazing qualification. The attitude is hire them while they are young. Dont get me wrong she is a great manager with 20 years experience and she goes through managers every 18-24 months. She never kept up with CPD or done a course to elevate herself. In the same time period I probably did 5 private courses but she wanted money for holidays and travel. She became comfortable as a company fixxer (sorts things out on her day off and steps in an emergency) and the bosses darling at her own expense. Yes she should have done this years ago, but we cant change that now.

She wants to work for a year in order to gain experience. This lockdown hasnt allowed her talk to her hairdresser for advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Trans Ann

She is looking for a property with a garage to convert. She is at that age when she doesnt have a degree and lets tell the truth the way it is..... recruiters and employers are ageist. They dont want to be hiring you the wrong side of 30 unless you have some amazing qualification. The attitude is hire them while they are young. Dont get me wrong she is a great manager with 20 years experience and she goes through managers every 18-24 months. She never kept up with CPD or done a course to elevate herself. In the same time period I probably did 5 private courses but she wanted money for holidays and travel. She became comfortable as a company fixxer (sorts things out on her day off and steps in an emergency) and the bosses darling at her own expense. Yes she should have done this years ago, but we cant change that now.

She wants to work for a year in order to gain experience. This lockdown hasnt allowed her talk to her hairdresser for advice.

I think she should go for it, now is the time to start thinking about changing careers. Fair play to her wanting retrain. It won't be easy nothing is but if she has the go in her she can make it work. If this is something she really wants to do then do it. Its great you support her too. It takes courage to make that first step. I'm a firm believer in training and working in different areas to keep things interesting. Myself and my husband taught English abroad for the last two years in different parts of Asia and everyone thought it was a crazy idea. We loved it and are going back next year. We have our degrees house etc so why not? Your wife can do anything she wants, ignore the nay sayers. Of course it will be hard and if it doesn't work out have a plan b. 4k is a lot of money but if you have it its your choice what you do with it, if it doesn't work out just spend it more wisely next time but I'm sure it will work out.

Trans Ann wrote: »
    I think she should go for it, now is the time to start thinking about changing careers. Fair play to her wanting retrain. It won't be easy nothing is but if she has the go in her she can make it work. If this is something she really wants to do then do it. Its great you support her too. It takes courage to make that first step. I'm a firm believer in training and working in different areas to keep things interesting. Myself and my husband taught English abroad for the last two years in different parts of Asia and everyone thought it was a crazy idea. We loved it and are going back next year. We have our degrees house etc so why not? Your wife can do anything she wants, ignore the nay sayers. Of course it will be hard and if it doesn't work out have a plan b. 4k is a lot of money but if you have it its your choice what you do with it, if it doesn't work out just spend it more wisely next time but I'm sure it will work out.

She should have retrained for it after she realised the shop could be robbed at gun point (happens 2-3 times a year). We are also into a recession that is going to get much deeper.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Trans Ann

She should have retrained for it after she realised the shop could be robbed at gun point (happens 2-3 times a year). We are also into a recession that is going to get much deeper.

So what do you think she should do as her husband?

I agree it's hard to find work but the idea that anyone over the age of 30 cant get employment because of ageism is nonsense.

You dont need qualifications to get a job, It certainly helps in some professions that require it but employers are more interested in experience, she has 20 years as an assistant manager, that is fantastic experience that will stand to her when she looks for further employment and will be very valuable for running her own salon.

Regarding speaking to a hairdresser, the lockdown has been lifted for months and hairdresser have been open since July, has she had a hair cut in that time? If she wants to ask a hairdresser that would be the perfect opportunity to bring it up in conversation but if she contacts her local ETB and speaks to the course coordinator of a hairdressing course they will be more than happy to help and point her in the right direction. Courses are starting up around this time so she should have no problem getting in touch with someone. Theyd be the best person to ask as they would be very up to date with the business, qualifications needed, costs etc involved in setting up a salon.

Regarding opening her own business, I hope this goes well for her but if she opens up a business after one year of working as a hairdresser and 7 months study, my worry would be that business wouldnt do well enough to sustain itself as she wouldnt have built up a reliable clientele within that time and you could both lose allot of money or worse, end up in debt. For the cost of setting up a business and spending 4k on a part time short course, it would cheaper to just do the full qualification and work for a few years.

When hairdressers qualify they generally work for a couple of years to build experience, the first year after qualifying is more like a training year in a salon, she would mostly be sweeping floors, working the till, making tea for customers and washing hair, she would only be permitted to cut and colour under the supervision of a senior stylist.

• Advertisement

Trans Ann wrote: »
    So what do you think she should do as her husband?

ohhhherrr. I usually get into trouble when I open my mouth. Apparently this is not a flying by the seat of her pants choice, that is my speciality. She has been thinking of this for a year. The number €4200 was way too much for us. Lets just say she negotiated with the school and we "found a number we were both comfortable with". We were very strategic and selective with our language and let him know what was in and out of budget.

I am letting her make her own decision and had no say in her choice of school or how much it should cost. Yes I would have prefered if she did it as part of an apprenticeship but time and cost are a reality her. There is going to be TONS of CPD afterwards. I am getting a little sick of the relatives of thinking they are all getting free cuts. Any hairdresser would laugh in your face if they heard anything less than €60 for a ladies cut, no respect for education, risk and training. If you think it is too expensive, go cut your own hair and wear it for a month. A Salon doesn't decorate, heat, insure and pay rates for free you know.

I think in 5 years she will be a nervous wreck after a few more robberies, hoards of kids robbing (Irish, african and traveller), incompetent managers and nursing new staff. It isnt when the ship is going down you start looking for the life boats. I only wished she did it 5 years before she met me.

The guy running the course said mature students often perform better as they are usually changing careers and have life experience. My dearest wife is customer focused and has 15 years management experience she is well prepared.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Your wife should absolutely do the course if it's something she's always wanted to do, but I'm afraid she just won't be experienced enough to get employment afterwards. It really does take 2 years on a salon floor to become fully trained and gain enough experience with all types of hair, colour, cuts etc. Hairdressing is one of those professions that a lot of people look at and think "I can do that", but not everyone can.
    Also, unless a stylist is bringing a large clientele with them to a salon, employers prefer young staff. Something your wife might consider if she does the course is salon management. She'd have good insight into the trade and has management experience.

Edited to add: I was a hairdresser myself, and my daughter is a hairdresser.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

The guy running the course said mature students often perform better as they are usually changing careers and have life experience. My dearest wife is customer focused and has 15 years management experience she is well prepared.

7 months part time. Is nothing.

I trained 2 yrs full time as an apprentice. Then my EMPLOYER paid for me to do a course for a while then come back. And then I was a hairdresser. But I was only cutting /coloring under supervision. After six months i decided NOPE. I switched to working as a receptionist. Then got out of the industry totally.

I had a great boss. One of the few times i can't think of anything bad to say about a boss tbh. But it was just not for me.

She needs to get a job in a salon to see if she likes it first. Because its a lot of money if she doesn't.

I would NOT advise her to do a course. I did BOTH. The course AFTER the apprenticeship. She is still as good as a first year walking in to a salon. And they will still have her sweeping up hair for about 3 months washing hair etc ...anything that needs to be done and training her.

The way it works is ...if a client doesn't ask for someone ..then they give the client to the most senior or longest there ..then less senior ..so last in ...gets clients last. Unless they ask for you. So at first its hard to make money. Where I worked senior stylists would ask you to help them maybe do half a head of highlights etc. And give you some of the money. But there is no obligation to do this. And i have heard stories of a stylist asking the junior to start ..letting them almost finish and then giving them nothing.

Its a VERY hard physically demanding job. There aren't many hairdressers or stylists working on the floor after 45 ...it is mostly young people. There is a reason. The heat ..the standing ...and the arm work...THE CHEMICALS ...

In terms of getting a job in a salon ....her previous experience would be excellent to go get one right now. But the course won't add to that really. They will still think she needs to be trained in all skills. Plus you need a basic in all skills even if you only want to be a colourist. And the whole idea of getting a new stylist is to get their clients.

Something your wife might consider if she does the course is salon management. She'd have good insight into the trade and has management experience.
    Salon management is a BRILLIANT idea.However she will need a bigger salon. Most smaller ones the management is done by a combination of the stylists and receptionists. Most in Ireland its a job undertaken by one of the senior stylists. I actually did a lot of salon management where i worked. that meant re ordering equipment etc supplies stock taking. Health and hygiene. Scheduling shifts. Taking appointments etc. Opening /closing ringing up the till. Speaking to companies etc on the phone. Placing orders. The ONLY thing i didn't do was book keeping. And she will NEED that. It was really the only thing that kept me from having the actual title I think. But if she went that route it would not take as long. And she would earn more. But the only issue is there would be FEWER jobs. And she would have to find a fairly big salon. But she would have a LOT of the skills she needs already.

Bare in mind though. Most managers on busy days ....can actually be asked to sweep the floor etc if its so busy there is no one else.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

with covid around for next 2 years this is the worst time to become a hairdresser
    also covid spreads in hairdressers i think there no future as hairdressers
    https://creakyjoints.org/living-with-arthritis/coronavirus/daily-living/is-it-safe-hair-salon-high-risk-covid-19/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

bobbyy gee wrote: »
    with covid around for next 2 years this is the worst time to become a hairdresser

There's people who find a way to wedge covid into every conversation.

As long as people have hair there'll be hairdressers.

Hairdressers following covid guidelines means they can't be working on several clients at once meaning more demand for hairdressers - not less (maybe i should say, same demand but less supply) . Also, more demand for home visits.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

When I started out it was a 4 year apprenticeship and although you'd have been cutting, colouring etc long before the 4 years was up you wouldn't be on full wages until after it was finished. Same for my daughter when was training in more recent times. It's a very tough apprenticeship. You really have to do a lot of cleaning, making coffee, being sent out on errands etc. I've never met anyone who went into it over the age of 20 who stuck it out.

Hairdressing is unregulated so you can do a course, call yourself a hairdresser and set up shop but you'd have to have really good insurance cover for any possible mistakes. People take their hair very seriously. You wouldn't last long if you weren't turning out really good work.

https://creakyjoints.org/living-with-arthritis/coronavirus/daily-living/is-it-safe-hair-salon-high-risk-covid-19/

Oh please. There will always be more work for hairdressers than they can cope with. Even during the lockdown a large amount of clients were begging to have their hair done. They'd have happily risked the virus.

She is on the course, its in full swing, loving it, got her mannequin heads, brushes, scissors and bits and bobs.
    Its a mixture or retrains and "always wanted to be never had the time" Students.
    Its only 8 months and certification from iTEC from the UK.
    From what I can see in a few short days. Before you start the course be sure of yourself. You need to be 100% committed. The course fee is not refundable.
    You need to see there is constant retraining and certification. It is very expensive to go into blindly. Turns out Mrs Skooter has been looking at the course for the last year and decided not to tell me.

My advice, go to the open days/nights, press the flesh, meet the other students. School supplies the standard kit (scissors,hairdryers, mannequins, uniforms and dyes). You need to buy other things like special gloves, aprons, clips and other small items.
    There is theory and a good bit of undertanding needed both chemical make up and the structure of hair anatomy wise.

I am 100% behind her because convience shop retail is dead end and will wear you out over time.

The great thing about the covid is we had the whole cash payment and could negotiate a price where other had to pay the full whack.
    We had protracted negotiations with the course director where we werent sure and he knew we had cash and we told him we would wait until next year. He smelt money and cut a deal on the price. You cant do that with the universities.

There is no future in hairdressing? Every woman I know drops €70 every 6 weeks to see a hairdresser. They are full every Thursday, Friday and Saturday. If you are in the public eye you have to have great hair especially sales. Try going to an interview with crap hair especially as a woman. They say that you never get a second chance to make a first impression. Imagine you went to an interview looking like a badger rode your head the night before.

I am glad I am a guy and only spend €20 to see a barber (I used to get £8 cuts in college), I will never complain about spending money on the barber or on razor blades after seeing so much hair costs for women. Yes there is money out there if you are good and there is a captive audience that need to be maintained. I dont care if sweeping the floor in a salon, cutting and dyeing, selling cosmethics or the CEO of Revlon, there is money to be made.

When I started out it was a 4 year apprenticeship and although you'd have been cutting, colouring etc long before the 4 years was up you wouldn't be on full wages until after it was finished. .

Some people still do this kind of apprenticeship its also thought of as the 'best ' by some employers. I think though they just want people there the 2 extra years doing all the work of stylists but being paid half.

Glad your wife likes it though OP.

Glad your wife likes it though OP.

She is sussing out who is who. A lot returning to education and retraining, A few foreigners training. There are NO youths which I find surprising but then that goes back to your "4 year apprenticeship". I expect all the youths want to do the apprenticeship and the PLC course. There is no handy way to do this course. Just go and do it.

My advice is go do this course when you are young as possible or as hobby if you are in a different profession after your other training. BTW I am in University and qualified chef and acupuncturist in other times.

• Advertisement

Some people still do this kind of apprenticeship its also thought of as the 'best ' by some employers. I think though they just want people there the 2 extra years doing all the work of stylists but being paid half.

That's always been the case - junior stylists for 2 years doing the same work for half the wage. Having said that, I absolutely loved my job :)

That's always been the case - junior stylists for 2 years doing the same work for half the wage. Having said that, I absolutely loved my job :)
    Yeah. There are some great people in the industry. :) Had some good laughs.

Y Had some good laughs.

Sharing is caring!!

Sweet Jeepers, just got more bills!!!!
    Need a carry all bag, two hair dryers, aprons, non latex gloves more mannequins heads to cut. Just dropped another 400 euro.
    Its the same as any other trade. Loads of hidden costs. We better be opening our own Salon in two years!!!

Sweet Jeepers, just got more bills!!!!
    Need a carry all bag, two hair dryers, aprons, non latex gloves more mannequins heads to cut. Just dropped another 400 euro.
    Its the same as any other trade. Loads of hidden costs. We better be opening our own Salon in two years!!!

Yup ...i went through 2 mannequin heads a week and i was doing like 5 diff things on the one head until it was wrecked! It gets better when you move on to human heads (student classes give services for a reduced rate but only when you are at a certain stage).

Has she got her cutting kit yet? :cool:

Yup ...i went through 2 mannequin heads a week and i was doing like 5 diff things on the one head until it was wrecked! It gets better when you move on to human heads (student classes give services for a reduced rate but only when you are at a certain stage).

Has she got her cutting kit yet? :cool:

FFS!!! There is going to be little change out of €4k by the time we are done.
    Then got told about this legendary scissors that was made in Japan by Ninja Japanese fish wives that cost €800 and another that was made by the finest swords maker with damascus steel that cost €1200 that were engraved (Dont look at me like that! I am a straight male, part of me hears things and other parts makes up its own parts to make the story sounds better:P:P).

Do NOT lend your tools, do not let down your tools (they will be robbed by your own sister). Do not cut anything with your shears only hair.
    A Good scissors will last 25 years (I heard that one before).

Guess who is up for a shearing to night? BTW I am looking like a Worzel Gummidge extra

Also She is getting her Hair dressing course.
    She is also getting a Barbering course add on. She is getting a Beauty course. She is getting nutrition course as well. She got her Kit.

What have we learned?

Do your research long before enter the course. Meet and greet and what did the past students did and said.
    Cash is KING, If you have the cash price in your hand you can negotiate a BIG /Discount.
    Learn how to talk to course directors and how to negotiate. Be unsure when talking and look for an incentive and GET IT IN WRITING (written text email, negotiations may be protracted).
    If you have something of value engrave it, it wont stop it being robbed but it will deter others.
    Book the course late. IF there are a few days to go they will be desperate to fill a course.
    Expect your Kit to cost money as a budgeted extra!!!

MIND YOUR TOOLS. There are tea leaves everywhere.

Regards Certification?

Mrs SkooterBlue went with the less prestigious certification from City and Guilds.
    "Yes it is impressive that trained at the top of the range place on Grafton Street, that is known in Ireland. But I never heard of it", may be the response or from someone who is jealous and hiring abroad.
    We may be planning on travelling and that prestigious apprenticeship may not travel the same way as the standard C&G certification unless you are working or hired by an Irish hairdressers abroad.

It is not about the right or wrong choice but it was the right choice for us at our time of life. If you want to do a course do it when you are young and can do it at your leisure when you have options. I know so many who want to retrain but cannot.

Also She is getting her Hair dressing course.
    She is also getting a Barbering course add on. She is getting a Beauty course. She is getting nutrition course as well. She got her Kit.

What have we learned?

Do your research long before enter the course. Meet and greet and what did the past students did and said.
    Cash is KING, If you have the cash price in your hand you can negotiate a BIG /Discount.
    Learn how to talk to course directors and how to negotiate. Be unsure when talking and look for an incentive and GET IT IN WRITING (written text email, negotiations may be protracted).
    If you have something of value engrave it, it wont stop it being robbed but it will deter others.
    Book the course late. IF there are a few days to go they will be desperate to fill a course.
    Expect your Kit to cost money as a budgeted extra!!!

MIND YOUR TOOLS. There are tea leaves everywhere.

If a course costing 4k is desperate to fill spaces a few days before the starting date, that in itself should tell you everything. It's not a course many would recommend doing.

• Advertisement

If a course costing 4k is desperate to fill spaces a few days before the starting date, that in itself should tell you everything. It's not a course many would recommend doing.

The course was 92% full already there were two place vacant. Those two place were vacant and would be unsold. From the course directors point of view you are better with a student on a discount rate than a vacant seat and no cash. Of course we gave him the "maybe next year" spiel. If money walks out the door it is gone and you failed and lost that sale. The instructor know that if he didnt make that sale there and then, he might not make it next year or have to offer a further discount. The course is good my wife did her homework.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement