Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

Overshoes and cheaper road shoes will see you through just as well. The difference between shoes (unless your going mad wintery) is mainly weight and stiffness. There are often decent pedals going in the Cycling Adverts section for around the 20-30 mark if you wanted to just see what a particular one is like without spending a fortune.

Thanks . Got sorted today with pedals shoes and cleats. Got used to them fairly quick I think. The difference is unbelievable I have to say, getting use out much more gears now. Who knew climbing could be somewhat enjoyable Will definitely help up mileage.

I did notice some numbness in my feet after a while so will have to see how that pans out, hopefully it was just coldness and overshoes and better socks sort it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

buffalo wrote: »

****ing ridiculous. Took a masking agent but they accepted he didn't intend to cheat. Well the obvious implication there is that he actually has glaucoma. That would be pretty easy to prove, and if he didn't have it, there's only one reason then isn't there.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Hurrache wrote: »
    Well the obvious implication there is that he actually has glaucoma. That would be pretty easy to prove, and if he didn't have it, there's only one reason then isn't there.
    Plenty of evidence - just look at a few videos of him in front of goal when playing for United.....

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I genuinely lol'd!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Overshoes and cheaper road shoes will see you through just as well. The difference between shoes (unless your going mad wintery) is mainly weight and stiffness. There are often decent pedals going in the Cycling Adverts section for around the 20-30 mark if you wanted to just see what a particular one is like without spending a fortune.
    You'd pick up some SPD/ MTB shoes cheaper. SPD pedals generally cheaper too (25ish on CRC). I'm commuting some days on the winter bike rather than the beater (at the moment because I've fecked up the beater with my home mechanic "skills"), so have just picked up SPD pedals for that.

I got XC51N's from start fitness in the UK, which are closed top. Stiff enough sole for the winter miles anyway. Haven't tried them with overshoes yet, but my Aliexpress ones from last year stretched enough they should do the job!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Old Perry wrote: »
    Hi. Can someone give me a run down on cycling shoes. I can't make head nor tale of spd, spd sl, 2 hole, 3 hole, and the various different pedals. Can spend between 150/200 euro.

I'm getting the urge to upgrade from my first bike as I'm upping mileage now but I need to invest in some decent gear before I can justify a bike.

Looking for road shoes, pedals and any associated attachments. Also is the something I'll be comfortable with all year round?

Thanks.

If you live near Balbriggan and have pixie feet (am size 41)
    You can have a pair of shoes for free...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Can anyone recommend a good shop to service a basic old mountain bike & change a chain? My commute passes Leeson st, up the N11 through Donnybrook & Stillorgan. Thanks in advance!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

How basic is basic? What do you want them to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

CramCycle wrote: »
    How basic is basic? What do you want them to do?

It's a c.15 year old mountain bike (cost maybe 300 at the time) which never really got used but I've just started commuting on. I can't change into some of the gears & over the last two days the chain has slipped when I was out of the saddle so I'm guessing it just needs a gear alignment & a new chain?

It's a c.15 year old mountain bike (cost maybe 300 at the time) which never really got used but I've just started commuting on. I can't change into some of the gears & over the last two days the chain has slipped when I was out of the saddle so I'm guessing it just needs a gear alignment & a new chain?

Put up pics, if it is just gear alignment and an oiling, any bike shop should do. If the stuff is worn then it become a bit more costly.
    If your going up the N11 on the commute, drop me a PM and I could have a look as you pass by.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,321 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

My near traditional last minute visit to decathlon before dropping the rental car off. They had a btwin in store, alu frame, carbon forks. Full ultegra r8000, cosmic elite wheels, fizik saddle. €1200.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

My near traditional last minute visit to decathlon before dropping the rental car off. They had a btwin in store, alu frame, carbon forks. Full ultegra r8000, cosmic elite wheels, fizik saddle. €1200.

Belfast? That's almost obscene!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

They had? And don't anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

RobFowl wrote: »
    If you live near Balbriggan and have pixie feet (am size 41)
    You can have a pair of shoes for free...

Thanks for that, appreciate it but as above I've gotten sorted now. Have spent 400 plus in last few days on on pedals shoes and topped it all off today with overshoes and a probably more socks than I need from Aldi specials. Time to put the debit card away and get up on the saddle.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,321 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

They had? And don't anymore?
    you know, the funny thing is, that coupled with my checked-in bag, i'd probably have still scraped in under the 15KG limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭VW 1

Looking for some pointers for a new set of lights coming into winter again, my back one has given up and my front one has a lifetime of an hour or so, which means daily recharging for the commute.

Specifications/requirements; USB rechargeable, decent battery lifetime (ie. 2 hours or more in the highest mode), for use only on lit streets in Dublin and a budget of around 100 for the two.

Is this realistic? I've checked online and with the plethora of options, not sure which is best to go with.

TIA.

VW 1 wrote: »
    Looking for some pointers for a new set of lights coming into winter again, my back one has given up and my front one has a lifetime of an hour or so, which means daily recharging for the commute.

Specifications/requirements; USB rechargeable, decent battery lifetime (ie. 2 hours or more in the highest mode), for use only on lit streets in Dublin and a budget of around 100 for the two.

Is this realistic? I've checked online and with the plethora of options, not sure which is best to go with.

TIA.

Aldi, 18euro for a set that meets those requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

TIA.
    Slightly over budget at €120 delivered but you get excellent illumination, never have to recharge again and never forget your lights...

Dynamo wheel €69
    Super front light €35
    Rear brake/tail light €17
    Cable for rear light €1.80

Rear light expects a rack to mount it on but you can get seatpost or mudguard mount rear lights also.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,482 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

TIA.

See.Sense Ace. £80 for the pair. https://seesense.cc/pages/see-sense-ace

Anyone any experience on imports from China, not sent via one of the big couriers, how long they get held at customs for? Happy to wait but wouldn't mind an expected date.

Finally on the An post tracker " Item sent to Customs" yesterday. Hopefully not much longer, guess I'll be hit for VAT shortly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Finally on the An post tracker " Item sent to Customs" yesterday. Hopefully not much longer, guess I'll be hit for VAT shortly.

I ordered some cycling socks on eBay back in June, they're still on the slow boat from China

I ordered some cycling socks on eBay back in June, they're still on the slow boat from China

I paid for the tracker which supposedly speeds things up as it claims a 45 day delivery. Also paid through Paypal as I don't trust some of the sites. The fact that it is on the An Post tracker now is a relief as i was not trusting of the sender until then.

Annoyed I missed the same item on another site for slightly more but taxes paid but c'est la vie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

See.Sense Ace. £80 for the pair. https://seesense.cc/pages/see-sense-ace

Another + for See.Sense - brilliant lights, which change cadence according to how fast you cycle, so the changing rhythm attracts drivers' eyes away from their mobile phones as you slow at a junction.

The only thing I don't like about them is their terrible methods of attaching to the bike or bag; it's a pain to pay a juicy price for a light and then have it held on by little rubber bands.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

in terms of asian senders, use aliexpress or dhgate, no issues when delivery issues or product issues, pretty clear on delivery dates too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

I've ordered various things from China on ebay - a wood moisture meter, little crystal knobs for a chest of drawers, shoes, books. In most cases they took weeks and weeks to arrive - but they did arrive, eventually, in good nick. The Chinese postal service just seems to be awfully slow for some reason.

Rechuchote wrote: »
    The Chinese postal service just seems to be awfully slow for some reason.
    There's a big boat moored in a chinese harbour somewhere. When it gets full of stuff for Ireland it sets sail and goes the long way around.

There's another big boat moored also. It gets filled with stuff for the UK before it sets sail. Because there's more stuff bought for the UK, that boat goes sooner...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

cdaly_ wrote: »
    There's a big boat moored in a chinese harbour somewhere. When it gets full of stuff for Ireland it sets sail and goes the long way around.

There's another big boat moored also. It gets filled with stuff for the UK before it sets sail. Because there's more stuff bought for the UK, that boat goes sooner...

Is that true?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Not a boat, but a shipping container. Which can hold about 40 tonnes of cargo.

So you can imagine the time taken to fill one of those bad boys with stuff bound from China to irelad. Then it has to wait for a ship to pick to up which is going the right way.

I don't know the ins and outs of international shipping, but I would have guessed that they probably group stuff so that everything bound for the UK and Ireland probably lands at the same place and get divided up and sent on its way. Though maybe not?

Mc Love wrote: »
    Is that true?
    Oh yes.

There used to be one for the US leaving every day but Donald put a stop to that. It's just sitting there rusting now...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

seamus wrote: »
    Not a boat, but a shipping container. Which can hold about 40 tonnes of cargo.

So you can imagine the time taken to fill one of those bad boys with stuff bound from China to irelad. Then it has to wait for a ship to pick to up which is going the right way.

I don't know the ins and outs of international shipping, but I would have guessed that they probably group stuff so that everything bound for the UK and Ireland probably lands at the same place and get divided up and sent on its way. Though maybe not?
    cdaly_ wrote: »
    Oh yes.

There used to be one for the US leaving every day but Donald put a stop to that. It's just sitting there rusting now...

Well then thats probably why it took so long for a jersey I ordered to arrive. In fact two of my colleagues are waiting on jerseys for about 3 weeks now.

Advertisement