Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

moon halo

Options
  • 14-09-2011 11:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭

very large halo around the moon tonight 23:40, even encompassing the bright star or planet at its 8 o' clock position

weather wise, any implications?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Some say its the sign of cold and snow, but a bit early for that I think:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

I think I heard before that it was a sign of stormy weather but I could be wrong.

Heres a thread from last year, interestingly just before the Cold Winter
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=69131177

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

The one i seen 2 nights ago was like the light refracting through the high clouds and spread all the colours like a rainbow. Was quite cool!
    COuldnt capture it on my iphone :(...

But ye , the usual halos i thought wer from high water vapour crystallising therefore usually only occurring , as mentioned, during cold periods?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

The one i seen 2 nights ago was like the light refracting through the high clouds and spread all the colours like a rainbow. Was quite cool!
    COuldnt capture it on my iphone :(...

But ye , the usual halos i thought wer from high water vapour crystallising therefore usually only occurring , as mentioned, during cold periods?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

Ice halos can be seen at all times of the year, it's an indication of particular conditions at altitude, where it's cold (~40C) all of the time. The local season doesn't have much correlation to the levels where the ice clouds form.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Elmo5

I saw the rainbow halo two nights ago aswell, it was very cool!

Advertisement