Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halo around the Moon tonight

Options
  • 21-11-2010 2:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Anyone see the halo/corona around the moon tonight. Just viewed it here, outside Dundalk, Co. Louth at 1.30 a.m. Irish time.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

I did not see last night's moon, but it's a cool sight all right.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭MetLuver

No but I wish I had, something about moon halo's. It always seems to say, ''winter is coming''.....eventhough they occur all year round.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

I was told years ago, Its the sign of cold weather and snow

yeah I saw it. Very beautiful it was too :) Sure sign winter is here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Huge halo round it now took this pic at 2:28am:

dscf2883halo.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Reflection off ice crystals in the upper athmosphere, but they are pretty.

I was told years ago, Its the sign of cold weather and snow
    Here you go:

The ring around the Moon is caused by the refraction of Moonlight (which of course is reflected sunlight) from ice crystals in the upper atmosphere. The shape of the ice crystals results in a focusing of the light into a ring. Since the ice crystals typically have the same shape, namely a hexagonal shape, the Moon ring is almost always the same size.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Was going to post this earlier, its pretty stunning looking because its such a clear night.

Opr

opr wrote: »
    Was going to post this earlier, its pretty stunning looking because its such a clear night.

Opr
    It certainly is, picture I took doesn't do it justice.

Advertisement