Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super Typhoon Haiyan - Phillippines

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,728 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Any live news coverage following this?

CNN have been the best, simply because they followed the Super Typhoon before it hit and warned how it would be a major news maker and that those in its path were facing a catastrophe.

I think some of the other news agencies had been slow on this, on the day it hit, CNN did wonderful coverage.
    Sky news was poor as were most others. I thought it terrible that RTE were leading with trivial stories of a tax refund for some and the Irish soccer management.

Only CNN stayed with this as the main story before it hit, when it hit and the aftermath.

That said I thought the BBC news coverage this evening at 6 was heart wrenching, awful, awful stuff.
    Watching the news from the Philippines makes one appreciate boring weather.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Sky News have jumped on the media bandwagon now eventually and had good coverage this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

Just listening to CNN about who has pledged what sort of aid. China has pledged $100,000 dollars - big of them, it's $50,000 less than Pope Francis has pledged and I thought that was stingy. The Americans are there already in there on the ground with engineer Marines and supplies - well done.

News just in: a 4.8M earthquake has just shook San Isidro 73km north of Tacloban. Poor feckers. :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

RobertKK wrote: »
    Only CNN stayed with this as the main story before it hit, when it hit and the aftermath.

In fairness CNN has probably the best inclination and resources with their international base in nearby Hong Kong. Subsequently managing to have their reporter in the city when it struck..

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭rickdangerouss

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

What's the story with the Haiyan? Is it still forming over the sea towards Vietnam or has it died down to a tropical storm? Haven't heard anything more since it struck the Philippines.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Oh dear, the Daily Star in the UK seem to think the typhoon is now heading towards Britain. :rolleyes:

Typhoon warning: Winter weather hell as killer storm heads towards BRITAIN for Christmas

Advertisement