Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super Typhoon Haiyan - Phillippines

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

'Strongest storm ever recorded hits Philippines' is somewhat more noteworthy..

The first I heard of this was a casual mention on the news on the radio this morning, nowhere near the top story, odd how little coverage its gotten.

Just trying to catch up with the news now, there's not a lot of aftermath info out there yet, hopefully nothing too bad though given the severity its hard to imagine there wont be deaths

• Registered Users Posts: 13,267 ✭✭✭✭fits

Its looking very serious this morning. I would say huge areas are still cut off in terms of roads and communications too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Stinicker wrote: »
    May god help them all.

<Mod Snip>

Perhaps donating a good few shillings to World Disaster Relief and the Red Cross might, just must actually help them a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Red Nissan wrote: »
    Perhaps donating a good few shillings to World Disaster Relief and the Red Cross might, just must actually help them a little.

Well the churches here did have collections for some other noteworthy disasters like the tsunami in Indian ocean and the earthquake in Haiti, the Philippines is due some help from us now...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

<Mod Snip>
    Use the report post button and leave the moderating to the moderators please
    First and final warning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Anyone know the best place to donate money to where it will get there quickly? Just tried American Red cross but didnt work.

Edit, just donated to Irish red cross. Not sure if its the most effective way to get money there quickly but was the best I could do.
    http://www.redcross.ie/news/appeals/typhoon-haiyan-appeal/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

The Red Cross has put the death toll at least 1,200 now. Sadly I'd expect that to rise, perhaps a lot higher in the days and weeks ahead as the full extent of the devestation is discovered.

We cannot know for certain how strong it was, but based on the official JTWC updates it would have been the 4th most intense cyclone, anywhere, in recorded history and the most intense ever during landfall. The winds in the eyewall would have been like an F3-F4 tornado expect over a 50km area and blasting for much longer than a fast moving tornado. The storm surge must have been catastrophic in places too.

On CNN, it was said the storm surge reached upto the second floor in buildings and their reporter says it looks like a tsunami has hit the coastal region.

Also 1 million people were in the direct path of the storm.

RTE news has the Irish football manager as top story, all so trivial. A tax refund for some property taxpayers as second story.
    Only made the third story, even though they say over 1,000 people died. When you look at what the news stories above it are, you would wonder what our national broadcaster is thinking when it comes to priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭weisses

Anyone here who wanted to be in the path of that typhoon (purely based on the excitement/fear it brings ?)

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

The Red Cross has put the death toll at least 1,200 now. Sadly I'd expect that to rise, perhaps a lot higher in the days and weeks ahead as the full extent of the devestation is discovered.

We cannot know for certain how strong it was, but based on the official JTWC updates it would have been the 4th most intense cyclone, anywhere, in recorded history and the most intense ever during landfall. The winds in the eyewall would have been like an F3-F4 tornado expect over a 50km area and blasting for much longer than a fast moving tornado. The storm surge must have been catastrophic in places too.

Looking at the geography of Tacloban City in particular, any storm surge entering the bay would most likely have been pushed into the city because of its location. If the eye passed to the south as it moved westwards, easterly winds would have piled the water into the bay.

279555.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭FTroydon

I am meant to be flying from Bangkok to Hanoi on Monday morning (6am Thailand time - so 11pm Sun night GMT).

Any weather experts know if this is a really bad idea...?

:(

It looks like it will hit Hanoi alright and the biggest worry there would be high level of rainfall bringing flooding and landslides. Keep an eye on it for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

There are some pictures on this website by ABC News. The pictures shows scenes not unlike the aftermath of some of the larger tornadoes. There are cars heaped on top of each other, another looks like its hanging off the second floor of a building or garage. Its total destruction.
    God help them.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-11-10/in-pictures3a-super-typhoon-haiyan/5081386

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Some Youtube clips showing the destruction created by the Category 5 Typhoon Haiyan for the thread. If anyone wonders what it might be like to get caught up in something like this, the first video gives a fair idea of the force of the wind, rain and debris.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Red Nissan wrote: »
    Speechless.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9YLb3TxmQY

[youtuube]=H9YLb3TxmQY[/youtube]

That is not from Haiyan it's from Typhoon Ketsana.

FTroydon wrote: »
    I am meant to be flying from Bangkok to Hanoi on Monday morning (6am Thailand time - so 11pm Sun night GMT).

Any weather experts know if this is a really bad idea...?

:(

As a tourist, terrible idea.. I'm in Hanoi and I'm not worried but if ya wanna see what Northern VN has to offer, spend some more time in Thailand or Laos first.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

article-2494635-194D64CA00000578-224_964x551.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

That video of it snapping the tree like a twig at the end is surreal! Some wind!

Second video from eskimocat

However, weather is weather, "God Help Them", does not in fact help.

Mod Note
    Don't post in this thread again

Some estimates put the death toll in the region of 10,000 now. Horrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭FTroydon

As a tourist, terrible idea.. I'm in Hanoi and I'm not worried but if ya wanna see what Northern VN has to offer, spend some more time in Thailand or Laos first.

Thanks for your reply.
    Our 30 day visa for Vietnam starts tomorrow. We might have to stay in Thailand a bit longer though as you suggested and head over to hanoi next week instead. If there is flooding and major damage though we will probably have to skip some parts altogether.

I feel terrible worrying about our holiday though when so many lives have been taken and homes damaged.

It is desperately sad indeed.

Wouldn't be surprised if it was higher, on one island about 2,000 people are missing and hundreds found dead.
    Read reports of bodies being washed up on the beaches.

Hopefully the world comes together to relieve some of their suffering.

FTroydon wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply.
    Our 30 day visa for Vietnam starts tomorrow. We might have to stay in Thailand a bit longer though as you suggested and head over to hanoi next week instead. If there is flooding and major damage though we will probably have to skip some parts altogether.

I feel terrible worrying about our holiday though when so many lives have been taken and homes damaged.

I know how you feel but it is natural. I had a holiday booked for NY for just after 9/11. Was thinking of where to go and see, go to the top of the WTC was one of them...yes you worry about your holiday as you have been looking forward to it for a long enough time most likely.
    But you should look at it in the following way:
    I think the best one can do is be thankful one is ok and not in harms way and they will appreciate having tourists come after the event, because many people will depend on people like you continuing to visit and spend your money, so don't feel terrible worrying about your holiday.
    It is a holiday to you, to the person providing for your holiday it is their livelihood.
    That is what I found visiting NY less than two week after 9/11, they had singers at the airport singing to the tourists arriving, people who worked at places that were open and of a tourist nature were over the moon to see foreigners visiting and not put off by the disaster that happened, even if the biggest tourist attraction was a disaster zone...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭weisses

Was reading 10000 deaths in Tacloban alone already ... horrific

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

Any live news coverage following this?

Advertisement