Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forgotten Irish movies.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

There's a Stephen Rea film where he's a hermit, was the young woman German or Dutch or something

Bingo! Been annoying me for years that I couldn't figure it out.

Nothing Personal (2009)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1320352/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭dennyire

Anyone watch Calm with Horses? On netflix at the moment, Good Irish film if a little violent

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Anyone remember this movie? The movie version of the play "Philadelphia, Here I Come" by Brian Friel. It was filmed at Ardmore studios in the early seventies. It was produced and directed by John Quested and stars Siobhán McKenna, Donal McCann, and Des Cave.

I studied it in school and always liked it. I couldn't find it anywhere so forgot about it years ago. Then just recently I was in a petrol station and do you know that stand with cheap dvds? They had a copy of it there. Was never so happy buying it!!

Here is the opening sequence from youtube. It takes me back to being in school when the teacher pushed out the trolley with tv and video! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭cml387

No one's mentioned "The Purple Taxi".

I remember it for Charlotte Rampling topless (in fairness she did that a lot in her films) and little else.

Also starred Peter Ustinov and Fred Astaire and brought some glamour to Eyries in the late seventies.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,510 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

cml387 wrote: »
    No one's mentioned "The Purple Taxi".

I remember it for Charlotte Rampling topless (in fairness she did that a lot in her films) and little else.

Also starred Peter Ustinov and Fred Astaire and brought some glamour to Eyries in the late seventies.

Also in the nip in the aforementioned ZARDOZ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

There was Irish comedy (maybe an Irish/Australian co-production) about two lads living illegally in Australia, picking fruit and getting chased around by some guy from immigration. From about '98, or '00 I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,921 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Anyone remember this movie? The movie version of the play "Philadelphia, Here I Come" by Brian Friel. It was filmed at Ardmore studios in the early seventies. It was produced and directed by John Quested and stars Siobhán McKenna, Donal McCann, and Des Cave.

I studied it in school and always liked it. I couldn't find it anywhere so forgot about it years ago. Then just recently I was in a petrol station and do you know that stand with cheap dvds? They had a copy of it there. Was never so happy buying it!!

Here is the opening sequence from youtube. It takes me back to being in school when the teacher pushed out the trolley with tv and video! :D

I remember RTE showing it in the late 80s.

El Tarangu wrote: »
    There was Irish comedy (maybe an Irish/Australian co-production) about two lads living illegally in Australia, picking fruit and getting chased around by some guy from immigration. From about '98, or '00 I'd say.

The Craic, starring and I think maybe written by Jimeon (Belfast standup based Down Under).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

El Tarangu wrote: »

‘The Craic’, Jimeoin is in it.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Anne Hathaway on Oceans 8 last night so remembered Ella Enchanted (2004)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,179 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Hes in it under his real name, Aidan Murphy.

Also notable for a cameo by Toni The Exotic dancer, if you know who she is you're showing your age.

Cait O Riordan of the Pogues plays the love interest, talented musician and beautiful as she was, a really bad actress.

I'm showing my age so

Technically NZ but The Grasscutter from 1988 is a watchable thriller,

• Registered Users Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭cml387

I'm showing my age so

Clip of Toni and her "act" available in RTE archives somewhere.

I'm showing my age so

Wasnt Toni in Taffin as well?
    Remember there being a stir about her appearing in the Maas inn in Glenties back in the day, Sunday World were wringing the rosary beads about it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭joeysoap

The blue max count.?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,510 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

cml387 wrote: »
    Clip of Toni and her "act" available in RTE archives somewhere.

Ireland really was a grim place before the Celtic tiger if that's what passed for a stripper

• Registered Users Posts: 40,179 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Ireland really was a grim place before the Celtic tiger if that's what passed for a stripper

times were tough so we were grateful for what we could get. nowhere near as grim as the strippers in english pubs on sunday mornings that my brother told me about. Getting tips in coins is never a good sign.

times were tough so we were grateful for what we could get. nowhere near as grim as the strippers in english pubs on sunday mornings that my brother told me about. Getting tips in coins is never a good sign.

Especially when notes started at a pound

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭rainagain

What Means Motley?

Inspired by true events... Gas

"An embarrassing diplomatic blunder which allowed a group of 41 Romanians to illegally enter Ireland posing as a choir on its way to the Sligo International Choral Festival is the subject of a new film which will have its world premiere screening at the Jameson Dublin International Film Festival on Friday next. In 1999, the bogus Dorul Choir went to elaborate lengths to fool Irish immigration authorities into allowing them enter Ireland for the Sligo festival. "

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/sligochampion/news/bogus-choir-blunder-immortalised-in-film-27525760.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Some things can never be unseen
    ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.geekalerts.com%2Fu%2Fzardoz_2421582b.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

That's another one gone, they played a clip of this on the RTE news in tribute.. RIP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Kenpo

I'm a big Italian Giallo fan and couldn't believe there was one made in Dublin in 1971.

The Iguana with the Tongue of Fire was so bad the director took his name off if but it has Niall Toibin in an early role and has great footage of Dublin.

The full film is on YouTube.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Kenpo wrote: »
    I'm a big Italian Giallo fan and couldn't believe there was one made in Dublin in 1971.

The Iguana with the Tongue of Fire was so bad the director took his name off if but it has Niall Toibin in an early role and has great footage of Dublin.

Interesting for its Dublin scenes but horrific in every sense of the word. On checking I see that I awarded it three turkeys on my blog here: https://irelandsmovies.wordpress.com/i-2/ :D

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Interesting for its Dublin scenes but horrific in every sense of the word. On checking I see that I awarded it three turkeys on my blog here: https://irelandsmovies.wordpress.com/i-2/ :D

Very interesting blog, some long forgotten productions listed particularly those for tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

• Registered Users Posts: 12,096 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Kenpo wrote: »

A a great find! Makes Taffin look sophisticated.:D I believe I spotted a young Emmet Bergin. (Dick from Glenroe and brother of Patrick)
    Del.Monte wrote: »

Yeah very interesting for it's Dublin scenes as the city never benefited from film exposure over the years playing itself. Rooney, The Quare Fella, Cry of the innocent, Quackser Fortune, Flight of the Doves and The Iguana are really all I can think off in terms of the city playing itself from the 50s to the 70s.

Love the blog.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭George White

THere's an obscure, possibly a TV pilot called Horowitz in Dublin from that time with the Phil Silvers show's Harvey Lembeck as a New York cop who goes to Dublin after his Irish wife dies. With Cyril and Sinead Cusack.
    Again, lots of tourist shots.

I thought those stands died out. Were was that services?

Zardoz, awful 70s muck with Sean Connery
    Fu Manchu movies from the 60s

The Fu Manchu films have just been put out on blu ray.
    The first, Face of Fu Manchu is the best. Dublin convincingly doubles for 1920s London, even though being a Harry Alan Towers production, it's filled with anachronisms. It's a very 60s 20s. But the chase scenes are well done, and shooting on Roger Casement's burial, they were able to have empty streets and make it look a much more expensive film.
    Obviously, there is a lot of un-PC stuff, particularly a performance from German actor Peter Mosbacher.

Dont forget when Roger Corman returned to Connemara to make masterpieces like Space Truckers.

Space Truckers wasn't Corman.
    It was Stuart Gordon for Goldcrest, although in the tradition of his former boss Charles Band. Too expensive for Corman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

THere's an obscure, possibly a TV pilot called Horowitz in Dublin from that time with the Phil Silvers show's Harvey Lembeck as a New York cop who goes to Dublin after his Irish wife dies. With Cyril and Sinead Cusack.
    Again, lots of tourist shots.

assassinatos-em-dublin-vhs1.png

“Dublin Murders” (1973) (85 mins) Crime. Made for US Television.
    Harvey Kembeck, Sinéad Cusack, Al Lettieri, Cesare Danova, Barbara Rhoades, Cyril Cusack, Tom Hickey.
    Director: William Kronick.

An American detective goes to Ireland, for a visit to his late wife’s relatives and helps the local police in a case of murder and money forgery.

Shot on location in Dublin City and county.

Aka “A Likely Story” aka “Horowitz in Dublin” aka “Assassinatos em Dublin” (Brazilian VHS title).

https://irelandsmovies.wordpress.com/d/

I got a copy some years ago from an eBay seller in Taiwan - it was his last sale before quitting eBay so I was lucky to get it as it's unobtainable. Not up to much but essential for someone collecting every Irish movie. :D

Advertisement