Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

19-08-2019, 13:20   #16
tatranska

Quote:
Originally Posted by Periscal View Post
Not posting here much since I left Ireland for Slovakia, have kept following international forums though. There ha
My in-laws told me they had snow in May in the Tatras this year.

Not been a good summer in SK this year.
Advertisement
19-08-2019, 13:32   #17
Periscal

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatranska View Post
My in-laws told me they had snow in May in the Tatras this year.

Not been a good summer in SK this year.

It has been a so-so summer this year. Very hut June, but then disappointing July and first week of August. Statistically speaking about my location we had 38 days of thunderstorms within 15km and 22 direct hits. Multiple times over 30mm cumulative rainfall, last week 60mm in a day! The forecast is for a great next 2 weeks so if we have settled back end of August then I rate it 6/10. It has been very hot in south western part but disappointing in north east and eastern SK.
Thanks from:
19-08-2019, 16:16   #18
tatranska

Quote:
Originally Posted by Periscal View Post
It has been a so-so summer this year. Very hut June, but then disappointing July and first week of August. Statistically speaking about my location we had 38 days of thunderstorms within 15km and 22 direct hits. Multiple times over 30mm cumulative rainfall, last week 60mm in a day! The forecast is for a great next 2 weeks so if we have settled back end of August then I rate it 6/10. It has been very hot in south western part but disappointing in north east and eastern SK.
Don't worry, you'll have 10 meters of snow in another few months(depending were you are) and the Bears and wolves will be down in the village looking for food
Thanks from:
19-08-2019, 16:36   #19
M.T. Cranium

Will do some more detailed work on this around October, but my research indicates a high probability of frequent deep low pressure areas in the mix. Unless that combines with blocking, it favours mild/wet/windy as the basic theme as in 2013-14.
20-08-2019, 02:55   #20
nacho libre

My feeling is this will be a winter with various opportunities for snow due to the sst temperature profile, low solar activity and the pacific state. There will be deep areas of low pressure, but these will have a tendency to pass to the south of Ireland, opening the door for north easterlies from time to time, but i don't forsee a three months freeze, unfortunately. Just as well, i suppose, because in that scenario civil war would break out on this forum- someone has to think of the moderators

Last edited by nacho libre; 21-08-2019 at 00:17.
Advertisement
20-08-2019, 08:31   #21
Graces7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacho libre View Post
My feeling is this will be a winter with various opportunities for snow due to the sst temperature profile, low solar activity and the pacific state. There will be deep area of low pressure, but these will have a tendency to pass to the south of Ireland, opening the door for north easterly from time to time, but i don't forsee a three months freeze, unfortunately. Just as well, i suppose, because in that scenario civil war would break out on this forum- someone has to think of the moderators
You mean.... I MAY YET get to build one last snowman in my old age! WOWOWOWOW!
20-08-2019, 09:51   #22
Artane2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacho libre View Post
My feeling is this will be a winter with various opportunities for snow due to the sst temperature profile, low solar activity and the pacific state. There will be deep area of low pressure, but these will have a tendency to pass to the south of Ireland, opening the door for north easterly from time to time, but i don't forsee a three months freeze, unfortunately. Just as well, i suppose, because in that scenario civil war would break out on this forum- someone has to think of the moderators
That's exactly what I had in mind, if I remember correctly, the South of England was more affected by the storms of winter 2013/14 than the North, which is why I mentioned a less extreme version of that winter as a possibility, I feel like these storms are going to track further south than usual.
20-08-2019, 10:02   #23
leahyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artane2002 View Post
That's exactly what I had in mind, if I remember correctly, the South of England was more affected by the storms of winter 2013/14 than the North, which is why I mentioned a less extreme version of that winter as a possibility, I feel like these storms are going to track further south than usual.
Further south of Ireland, or further south in Ireland?
20-08-2019, 11:12   #24
Artane2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by leahyl View Post
Further south of Ireland, or further south in Ireland?
Both, some lows could pass north of us but further south than usual while other lows track south of Ireland. Don't count on it though as long range forecasting is impossible!
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
20-08-2019, 11:16   #25
sryanbruen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artane2002 View Post
December 2013 had the storms tracking to the north mainly and it was the wettest month on record in Scotland until December 2015 whilst January and February mainly had the storms tracking through the country. There was a fair amount of blocking and a strong enough Siberia High but it was all in the wrong place to produce cold.
(2) thanks from:
20-08-2019, 20:09   #26
Beechwoodspark

Hopefully snow cover from the 8th November right through til 30 jan

Heaviest falls between December 20-January 12th
(3) thanks from:
21-08-2019, 00:31   #27
Dickie10

there has been frost affected grain not yet harvested an hour or two drive north of edmonton two weeks ago , temp of -2 recorded
Thanks from:
22-08-2019, 23:29   #28
Kermit.de.frog

The mountains near Longyearbyen are snow capped. Quite unusual for this time of year.

https://www.webcams.travel/webcam/fullscreen/1182187370
(4) thanks from:
22-08-2019, 23:42   #29
Graces7

they have snow in BC where I have family...
26-08-2019, 11:38   #30
Loughc

Quote:
Originally Posted by esposito View Post
I’m not going to say much as it’s too early but all I’ll say is I’m not getting my hopes up about this winter.

Last year I got my hopes up about a colder than average winter but as we all know that did not materialise.

I think it’s best for us all (cold and snow lovers!) not to expect much and then we might be pleasantly surprised.
It's the hope that kills ya isn't it!! I got sucked in badly last Winter hoping for a big snow event, even though the reality of these things happening aren't great, will certianly stay more grounded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishrover99 View Post
And people complain about Christmas been advertised to early ��.
Talking about Winter in the middle of August should be banned.
You must be new here, this thread kicks off this time every year and it's brilliant, great read right into the new year, I love it.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion