Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

27-03-2018, 12:56   #61
blue5000

I like the site, had a quick look, rainfall radar is a big improvement with the zoom. But I just wish we had better weather now.
Advertisement
27-03-2018, 13:41   #62
Danno

On the https://beta.met.ie/latest-reports/observations page, please put in dew point plus wet bulb temps and also stop rounding figures, please display 7.2c or whatever the current temperature is.

Would also like to see a map representation of current conditions similar to www.xcweather.co.uk
Thanks from:
27-03-2018, 14:09   #63
Comhra

I find those purple lines (territorial sea limits?) around the map of Ireland, Wales & Isle Of Man give the radar display an over-complicated appearance, along with those lines showing the motorways of Ireland. I feel the display would be clearer and easier to observe without them.
27-03-2018, 17:42   #64
BlackWizard

I like the motorways of Ireland on the map. Maybe it helps people who don't live in the big cities to visualize when the big blue blob will hit them. I know they can zoom in, but I still like the format. They are using OpenStreetMaps which will hopefully be used more by organizations. Maps should be free for everyone.
Thanks from:
27-03-2018, 17:48   #65
Gaoth Laidir

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleetAndSnow View Post
they all look to be working for me
On Edge they weren't all working but I checked on Chrome and they are.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
27-03-2018, 19:00   #66
sryanbruen

Met Éireann's response to my post on their Facebook:

Quote:
Hi Sryan! Many thanks for your compliments and comments both here and on Boards.ie. Thanks for spotting the Dublin link, it has been removed. The radars show all types of precipitation but it doesn't distinguish between rain/snow/hail. An internal Harmonie IBL forecast model chart shows rain/snow/graupel and is sometimes posted on Twitter during an event. We will take on board your radar comments and the production of more NWP, marine analysis, 3 hour forecast maps and temperature detail. From all the comments from here, Boards.ie and the feedback forms we have plenty of suggestions to collate and distribute internally for consideration. And the site is still in development. Products in the Climate Available Data section will have an overhaul in the coming months.
27-03-2018, 22:11   #67
sryanbruen

On the weather extremes page, it says that the highest maximum gust for August (since 1942) is 144km/hr at Claremorris on the 11th in 1999.

http://beta.met.ie/climate/weather-extreme-records

The monthly weather bulletin for August 1999 says for the 11th that there was light southeasterly winds. Not to mention, the largest gust that month was 52mph recorded at Malin Head.

https://cli.fusio.net/cli/bulletin/m...m-1999-Aug.pdf

The reanalysis chart by NCEP also shows southeasterly winds.

27-03-2018, 23:57   #68
gabeeg

Much, much better obviously.

A few of things:

1. The weekly forecast given on the homepage needs a better title - is it national or regional? No idea.

2. It wasn't obvious to me that the weekly forecast scrolled horizontally. I think the problem is that the grid you've used for the scrolling area aligns too well with with the containing page. Use a marginally different column width and some of the content will spill off the edge, prompting the user to investigate.
Same pattern is used for mobile all the time.

3. The title "Available Data" prompted me to wonder whether there might be a page with "Unavailable Data" somewhere

Overall it's a big step forward. I think you could be a little bolder with the header, but it's nice, clean and navigable.
I just hope you keep developing it rather than let it grow old ungracefully again.

Last edited by gabeeg; 28-03-2018 at 00:01.
Thanks from:
28-03-2018, 08:49   #69
blindjustice

I think your temperature colour stretch should be selectable. It covers -20 to +38c which covers all eventualities but most of the time the temperature is between 0 and 25c and somedays only varies by a couple of degrees in coastal areas.

The temperature map is very interesting - any information on how its calculated - does it take altitude/exposure/wind direction into account?
Advertisement
30-03-2018, 12:00   #70
pad199207

Testing the new radar here at the moment with a heavy shower. The Radar is very good
30-03-2018, 12:19   #71
highdef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pad199207 View Post
Testing the new radar here at the moment with a heavy shower. The Radar is very good
Whilst the coverage and detailing seems to be quite good, the ability to toggle forward and back seems to gone, at least in a user friendly manner via forwards/backwards buttons.

Also, while playing the loop,I would love to be able to select the speed of the animation.
(3) thanks from:
30-03-2018, 12:21   #72
pad199207

Quote:
Originally Posted by highdef View Post
Whilst the coverage and detailing seems to be quite good, the ability to toggle forward and back seems to gone, at least in a user friendly manner via forwards/backwards buttons.

Also, while playing the loop,I would love to be able to select the speed of the animation.
Yeah those additional features would be really useful, also if the map would refresh itself instead of you having to do it therefore it zooms back out again.
Thanks from:
31-03-2018, 00:50   #73
piuswal

ME,

How about displaying wind speeds in km/h as well as knots in order to tie in with the various wind warnings!
Thanks from:
31-03-2018, 21:00   #74
Comhra

Both current radar displays seem to show different intensities of rainfall. These two screenshots were taken at the same time. New display could do with more distinct shading for the different precip intensity

Thanks from:
31-03-2018, 21:41   #75
pad199207

Yeah the new radar uses the Belfast radar too
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size